» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: U.S. allies leave Iraq

Written By: STAR70 on 12/01/05 at 6:52 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_crumbling_coalition

Subject: Re: U.S. allies leave Iraq

Written By: Mushroom on 12/02/05 at 9:49 am

Oh wow, we should be scared.  Bulgaria and Ukraine have pulled out of Iraq.  And they took their 1,200 troops with them.  That is what, less then 1% of the number of US troops there?

That will be as important as when the French decided to not help us.  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/02/05 at 4:08 pm

Oh wow, we should be scared.  Bulgaria and Ukraine have pulled out of Iraq.  And they took their 1,200 troops with them.  That is what, less then 1% of the number of US troops there?

That will be as important as when the French decided to not help us.  ::)

I recall when this crap started the conservatives here were all touting how much support we had in the form of the "coalition of the willing", which, we were told, was more important that having France and Germany at our side.  Now that they are pulling out, their not important?  Seems like you want it both ways.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/03/05 at 10:37 am

I recall when this crap started the conservatives here were all touting how much support we had in the form of the "coalition of the willing", which, we were told, was more important that having France and Germany at our side.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/03/05 at 4:22 pm

Actually, I could not care less if others help us or not.  And it probably is not the reason you expect.

To me, this is a perfect reason why the UN should get involved.  But as I have said in here before, the UN is an impotant organization.  They will issue statements and condemnations and sanctions, but they will not actually do anything.

And on the occasions where they do something, it is half-assed and poorly done.  Then at the first hint of resistance, they pull out and run away.

I wish the UN would take it's goals seriously, and step into areas like Iraq, Afganistan, Somalia, Syria, Rwanda, and other such places.  Sadly, unless somebody else "takes command", the UN will not get involved.  And even then, the UN does little but stand there and watch if the "take charge" forces get slapped around.

This just shows me more and more how apathetic the world truely is.

Ok, so the UN is a bit inept.  Does that mean that the US should be the world's policeman?  By who's authority and under who's oversight?  Our own?  Isn't that like asking the fox to guard the hen house?  On the other hand, I understand that some times intervention is necessary.  One of my problems with unilateral US intervention is that we are so lousy at it, and those chickens always come home to roost, to our disadvantage, like in Iran and the CIA's first successful covert operation - the Shah - which got us to the Iran we have today.  I suspect the Middle East would be vastly different today had we not engineered ther overthrow of Mosadeck.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 4:16 am

Ok, so the UN is a bit inept.

Check for new replies or respond here...