» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Air America's ratings off the charts

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/20/05 at 2:07 am

The ratings for Air America's flagship station WLIB in the New York City market have been released.

They're in 24th place overall with a 1.0 share in the Spring '05 period.

In the previous two periods they had a 1.2 share, and before that 1.4 and 1.3.

These ratings are even lower than when that station broadcast Caribbean music and news.

New York City is the #1 market in the U.S. However, in the #18 market, Nassau-Suffolk (Long Island) they're pulling a 1.4, which is double their previous share and even above the 1.1 they received in Summer '04.

More ratings here.

Link: http://www.radioandrecords.com/rrratings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=184&RY=2005&RQ=2&MP=0&OTHER=2&MN=New%2

Subject: Re: Air America's ratings off the charts

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/05 at 2:49 am

Sanity is not statistical.
--George Orwell

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/20/05 at 8:47 pm

New York City is the #1 market in the U.S. However, in the #18 market, Nassau-Suffolk (Long Island) they're pulling a 1.4, which is double their previous share and even above the 1.1 they received in Summer '04.

wow...I live on Long Island...and thats a shock....

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/05 at 3:09 pm

yet in Florida, where Rush Limbaugh broadcasts from:

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Liberal_talk_radio_trends_ahead_of_Limbaugh_among_2554_i_0711.html

he's losing in a head to head match.

There's probably a lot of reasons why Air America isn't pulling huge numbers in New York besides the content.  Poor promotion and a weak signal can be far worse enemies than any perceived lack of quality in the programming.

I'd say the Florida story is more interesting since it appears those issues are less a factor, and they share the same time slot.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/21/05 at 5:00 pm

Rush Limbaugh Rules Los Angeles and Chicago
Wednesday July 20, 8:58 pm ET

LOS ANGELES, July 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Rush Limbaugh, the first national radio host to interview Vice President Dick Cheney and former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani today about President George W. Bush's nominee to the Supreme Court, also was first today in the Arbitron Spring 2005 ratings survey for Los Angeles and Chicago. The Rush Limbaugh Show, heard Monday through Friday on KFI-AM in Los Angeles from 9 a.m. - noon scored, among Persons 12+, a 4.4 share with 100,100 listeners tuning in, on average, every quarter hour. Among Adults 25-54, he has a 2.5 share with 35,900 of them tuning in, on average, every quarter hour. Al Franken, who airs at the same time on KTLK-AM in Los Angeles, has a share of 1.2 with 28,400 listeners Persons 12+ tuning in, on average, every quarter hour. With Adults 25-54, he has a 0.8 share with a listening audience of 11,900, on average, every quarter hour. Mr. Limbaugh's audience of Persons 12+ is three and a half times the size of Mr. Franken's audience. Among Adults 25-54, Mr. Limbaugh more than triples Mr. Franken's audience.

In addition to Mr. Limbaugh and Mr. Franken, below are numbers for other talkers who don't run head to head with Mr. Limbaugh:

Host Share Avg. Quarter Rank (all AM/FM
(Persons 12+) Hour programming-
(Persons 12+) persons 12+)
Rush Limbaugh 4.4 100,100 5
Bill O'Reilly 2.3 54,900 14
Al Franken 1.2 28,400 27
Ed Shultz 0.9 20,500 34

Host Share Avg. Quarter Rank (all AM/FM
(Adults 25-54) Hour programming-
(Adults 25-54) adults 25-54)
Rush Limbaugh 2.5 35,900 14
Bill O'Reilly 0.9 13,100 29
Al Franken 0.8 11,900 31
Ed Shultz 0.6 9,000 42

In Chicago, The Rush Limbaugh Show is heard Monday through Friday on WLS-AM in Chicago from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and scored a 4.9 share with 78,200 listeners tuning in, on average, every quarter hour, for Persons 12+. Among Adults 25-54, he holds a 3.4 share with 31,700 listeners tuning in, on average, every quarter hour. Mr. Limbaugh has no competition in this market.

Known as the media pundit who reshaped the political landscape with his entertaining and informative brand of conservatism, Mr. Limbaugh is also widely credited with resuscitating AM radio by many industry expe

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/05 at 5:06 pm

Rush Limbaugh Rules Los Angeles and Chicago
Wednesday July 20, 8:58 pm ET

So after having a ten year head start, he's only got double the audience and ratings in some cities... wow, that's impressive... oh, wait, no it isn't.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/21/05 at 5:26 pm

So after having a ten year head start, he's only got double the audience and ratings in some cities... wow, that's impressive... oh, wait, no it isn't.

Read it again.  With all persons 12+ Rush has a 4.4 share and Al Franken has a 1.2 share.  Among adults 25-54 years of age, Rush has a 2.5 share while Al Franken has a 0.8 share.  That's a little more than double.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/05 at 5:55 pm

Read it again.  With all persons 12+ Rush has a 4.4 share and Al Franken has a 1.2 share.  Among adults 25-54 years of age, Rush has a 2.5 share while Al Franken has a 0.8 share.  That's a little more than double.

The people who listen to Rush are the same ones who spew coke through their noses laughing at
Opie and Anthony.  What is with those two anyway?  Can't go anywhere without each other, Maybe
they should marry, make it legal. ::)

Written By: STAR70 on 07/21/05 at 6:35 pm

I live in Los Angeles and Ktlk 1150 AM, where Air America is found, is an abyssmally weak signal. you have to leave LA and drive into the desert in order to get a clear signal

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 6:39 pm

My point is--

Is Rush right, or just popular?

???

Written By: nally on 07/21/05 at 6:39 pm

I live in Los Angeles and Ktlk 1150 AM, where Air America is found, is an abyssmally weak signal. you have to leave LA and drive into the desert in order to get a clear signal

I live in the L.A. area too! Is that a brand new station or something? Because I remember 1150 being a sports talk station for the past 8 years or so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 6:56 pm

Air America programming comes in clear as a bell in Amherst and Northampton on 1400 AM in Noho (as we call it). 1400 airs Rachel Maddow, Jerry Springer, Al Franken, and Janeane Garofalo/Sam Seder.  However, you can't get 1400 at all in the Springfield area, the nearest major metro market.  560 AM in Springfield carries the right-wing hosts--Rush, Howie Carr (from Boston), and Michael Savage.  The 560 signal gets spotty up in the Amherst area.  I wish we could get Air America programming on 560 as well, I think it would perform beyond most people's expectations.
The Springfield station with the maximum-wattage signal, 640 AM went ALL SPORTS six years ago.  As much as I dislike sports programming, I'd rather have the knuckle-draggers listening to sports and sports chat than getting bad ideas from Rush!
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/21/05 at 9:56 pm

I was going to suggest weak signal as a reason why these stations are showing such a difference in number, but couldn't really back that up.  I wonder if the Florida station I mentioned earlier in the thread has a comparable signal to the one Rush broadcasts on? 

Personally, I can't stand listening to talk radio whoever it is.  I just find it rather odd that Rush would release a press release trumpeting how popular his show is against another broadcaster on a station that has a weak signal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 10:16 pm

I just find it rather odd that Rush would release a press release trumpeting how popular his show is against another broadcaster on a station that has a weak signal.

Because Rush seems like he was the mean tubby kid who loved to catch the littlest kid in the schoolyard and give him a wedgie.  That seems to be the cloth a lot of his listeners are cut from as well!
;D
http://keub55.free.fr/Eric_Cartman.gif

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/21/05 at 11:48 pm

Air America programming comes in clear as a bell in Amherst and Northampton on 1400 AM in Noho (as we call it). 1400 airs Rachel Maddow, Jerry Springer, Al Franken, and Janeane Garofalo/Sam Seder.   However, you can't get 1400 at all in the Springfield area, the nearest major metro market.  560 AM in Springfield carries the right-wing hosts--Rush, Howie Carr (from Boston), and Michael Savage.  The 560 signal gets spotty up in the Amherst area.  I wish we could get Air America programming on 560 as well, I think it would perform beyond most people's expectations.
The Springfield station with the maximum-wattage signal, 640 AM went ALL SPORTS six years ago.  As much as I dislike sports programming, I'd rather have the knuckle-draggers listening to sports and sports chat than getting bad ideas from Rush!

I get Air America perfectly on Long Island too....at least I did...I havent actually listened to the station in a few months......heck, I even forgot it was still around

did I ever tell you guys about a conversation myself and a friend of mine had with Al Franken in Washington DC at the Reagan Center in Feburary this year?  (I should probably mention it was at a Republican conference...which Al was attending with his radio crew....we caught him as he was walking out):

My Friend (Who I need to mention is Jewish): Hey Al
Al Franken: Hi (he keeps his head turned down, never actually looking us in the eyes and continues walking away)
My Friend: How ya Doin?
Al: Fine (Doesnt even look up)
Friend: Shabbat Shalom (it was a Friday)
Al: No responce at all
Me: Tom Davis was the talented one!
Al: (walks away pretending we dont even exist)

you know, maybe if he wasnt such an A-hole to us when all we were doing was asking him how he was, then maybe I wouldnt hate him......

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 11:55 am

I get Air America perfectly on Long Island too....at least I did...I havent actually listened to the station in a few months......heck, I even forgot it was still around

did I ever tell you guys about a conversation myself and a friend of mine had with Al Franken in Washington DC at the Reagan Center in Feburary this year?   (I should probably mention it was at a Republican conference...which Al was attending with his radio crew....we caught him as he was walking out):

My Friend (Who I need to mention is Jewish): Hey Al
Al Franken: Hi (he keeps his head turned down, never actually looking us in the eyes and continues walking away)
My Friend: How ya Doin?
Al: Fine (Doesnt even look up)
Friend: Shabbat Shalom (it was a Friday)
Al: No responce at all
Me: Tom Davis was the talented one!
Al: (walks away pretending we dont even exist)

you know, maybe if he wasnt such an A-hole to us when all we were doing was asking him how he was, then maybe I wouldnt hate him......

A celebrity giving people the cold shoulder?  Who ever heard of such a thing?

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/22/05 at 12:29 pm

A celebrity giving people the cold shoulder?  Who ever heard of such a thing?

I thought Al promoted friendlyness towards your fellow man?  Isnt that one of the things he said the Republicans were not doing? 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/22/05 at 3:18 pm

Maybe Al is just worried that he won't have a radio show this time next year, especially if super-rich donars stop sending in the big 25 million dollar checks to keep Air America alive since they can't survive in the free market.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 4:09 pm

I'm just happy listening to Mike Rosen. He gets calls from all sides and accepts calls not based on if the people are conservative or not....while he's had lots of liberals call him and thank him for accepting thier calls. Some have said that they have called Franken and posed as Conservatives and they end up on hold for hours, usually never getting through.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 5:27 pm

I thought Al promoted friendlyness towards your fellow man?  Isnt that one of the things he said the Republicans were not doing? 

What the Republicans are promoting are murderous oil grabs, theocratic authority, upward concentration of wealth, and the general trashing of the global ecology.  We need a man who will stand up to this right-wing terror, and maybe it takes a little pr*ck like Franken to do it!
Nice guys like Bill Moyers end up stabbed in the back.
As far as the "free market" goes, there's a lot of points view and expressions of the arts and humanities that don't survive in the "free market."  It's always been thus. 
Examine your "free market" with an unbiased eye, and you might have to conclude it's not so "free" after all!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/05 at 5:42 pm

Doesn't mean he has to have to "be on" and have a conversation with everyone who feels like
they want to tell all their friends they talked to Al Franken.  I don't stop and talk to people I don't
know from Adam, and sometimes I am busy, have things on my mind, am in a bad mood, etc., I
am sure it is the same for you, why not for celebrities? Jeez, what makes some people think they
are so special that celebrities just have to talk to them? 

Written By: STAR70 on 07/23/05 at 5:30 pm

it was!!! it used to be fox sports 1150 AM but now it's ....

http://www.ktlk.com/main.html

the signal in LA is so-o-o-o weak. i tries to tune in yeasterday, all i got was static

it's better as you appraoch Palm Springs

Written By: nally on 07/23/05 at 5:36 pm

it was!!! it used to be fox sports 1150 AM but now it's ....

http://www.ktlk.com/main.html

the signal in LA is so-o-o-o weak. i tries to tune in yesterday, all i got was static

it's better as you appraoch Palm Springs

I thought so.
Before that it was "Xtra Sports AM 1150" and carrying the exact same stuff as "Xtra Sports 690" (which is now 570); I never knew what was up with that. ::)

Anyway, thanks for telling me about KTLK; I won't even try to get it out here (I live in Ventura County but still spend time in the L.A. area).

Check for new replies or respond here...