» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What happens when a US military member pretends to be a prisoner at Gitmo?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/18/05 at 9:24 pm

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/18/MNG18DAM6S1.DTL&type=printable

Baker said he had put on the jumpsuit and squeezed under a prison bunk after being told by a lieutenant that he would be portraying an unruly detainee. He said he was assured that MPs conducting the "extraction drill" knew it was a training exercise and that Baker was an American soldier.

As he was being choked and beaten, Baker said, he screamed a code word, "red," and shouted: "I'm a U.S. soldier! I'm a U.S. soldier!" The beating continued, he said, until the jumpsuit was yanked down during the struggle, revealing his military uniform.

Yesh.  The right wing apologists still act as though nothing serious has happened to the detainees.  Here's some easily verified evidence for those folks.  Clearly there's a lack of training and restraint by the jailers down there.

Subject: Re: What happens when a US military member pretends to be a prisoner at Gitmo?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/05 at 1:43 pm

But, I love how the republicans jump all over Senator Durbin for calling a spade a spade.

Cat

Subject: Re: What happens when a US military member pretends to be a prisoner at Gitmo?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/19/05 at 2:45 pm

And our conservatives friends wonder why some of us are so critical.  Sure we'll win the hearts and minds.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/19/05 at 4:23 pm

This is my favorite part.....

Separately Friday, the Pentagon announced that a subsidiary of Houston- based Halliburton had been awarded $30 million to build an improved 220-bed prison at Guantanamo.

And guess who used to be with Halliburton?  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/05 at 6:01 pm

Separately Friday, the Pentagon announced that a subsidiary of Houston- based Halliburton had been awarded $30 million to build an improved 220-bed prison at Guantanamo.

And that is the main reason why the Bush Adminstration doesn't want Guantanamo closed.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/05 at 7:15 pm

That's the part Rush Limbaugh fails to mention when he goes off about G'itmo being a Muslim "resort."  The whole thing is a giant kickback program for KBR/Halliburton!  But then nobody really listens to Rush to get real news, just to have their prejudices vindicated.

The military could learn a few things from the S&M community.  Always make sure your "dom" is clear on your limits and knows your "safe word"!
8)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/20/05 at 1:13 am

That's the part Rush Limbaugh fails to mention when he goes off about G'itmo being a Muslim "resort." 

Muslims everywhere love club Gitmo.

Free food that's better than what our soldiers and three-fourths of the world are eating, free holy books, better treatment than any other nation would give them, air conditioning, a media that looks to call anything short of spa treatment torture.  Life is good at club Gitmo.

Baghdad temperature: 106 degrees.
Gitmo temperature: 87 degrees.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/05 at 4:32 am

Free food that's better than what our soldiers and three-fourths of the world are eating, free holy books, better treatment than any other nation would give them, air conditioning, a media that looks to call anything short of spa treatment torture.  Life is good at club Gitmo.

Don't forget about that orange-glazed chicken!  Why if I was in their sandals I wouldn't tell 'em nothing!  That way I could just hang out, read the Koran in my air conditioned room, and never have to do a lick of work.  Best thing, it's all paid for by Uncle Sam!

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/20/05 at 8:55 am

Don't forget the beatings!

Aside from the concusions, it's really just a more vigirous massage!

Written By: Taoist on 06/20/05 at 4:19 pm

... Life is good at club Gitmo...

Yeah? but it's still imprisonment without trial!  It's still the kind of thing that made Saddam a bad man!
By US standards, this is wrong! How can the US possibly justify this?
Maybe all the prisoners have WMDs hidden in their pants?
The less you find, the more sneaky the buggers must be, better beat them some more.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/20/05 at 4:27 pm

Sheer nonsense.  There comes a time when addressing this sillyness just gets boring.  But I guess desperation will do that to people.  Just read the news to realize what fiction this is.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/05 at 7:48 pm

Yes.... club Gitmo, the world's newest vacation spa resort....  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/21/05 at 9:45 am

Yes.... club Gitmo, the world's newest vacation spa resort....  ::)

I welcome every conservative who shares this view with Rush and his ilk, to pretend to be Iraqi and take a little vacation there.

Written By: EthanM on 06/21/05 at 11:30 am

Making good seem bad and bad seem good is easy when certain facts are omitted. How would you like this job:

You get no extra money for working nights and weekends. Travel is constant, and you must spend weeks at a time away from your family. There is a strict dress code, and employees are often to run miles back and forth on a wooden surface while adhering to that dress code. Employees are often required to make speeches, a task more feared than death according to many polls, often with little or no preparation. Those speeches can result in widespread criticism of an employee. Employees are not permitted to eat during work hours and sometimes may not eat for hours before working, and it has been docuumented that employees have been disappointed to find all restaurants closed after completion of work for the day. If that were not bad enough, employees are often hit hard be enormous men just for trying to perform well at their job, and the victimized employee is not guaranteed any compensation for the assault. Sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? 

Written By: philbo on 06/21/05 at 3:39 pm

Free food that's better than what our soldiers and three-fourths of the world are eating, free holy books, better treatment than any other nation would give them, air conditioning, a media that looks to call anything short of spa treatment torture. Life is good at club Gitmo.

So go there.  Please.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/22/05 at 3:52 pm

Making good seem bad and bad seem good is easy when certain facts are omitted. How would you like this job:

You get no extra money for working nights and weekends. Travel is constant, and you must spend weeks at a time away from your family. There is a strict dress code, and employees are often to run miles back and forth on a wooden surface while adhering to that dress code. Employees are often required to make speeches, a task more feared than death according to many polls, often with little or no preparation. Those speeches can result in widespread criticism of an employee. Employees are not permitted to eat during work hours and sometimes may not eat for hours before working, and it has been docuumented that employees have been disappointed to find all restaurants closed after completion of work for the day. If that were not bad enough, employees are often hit hard be enormous men just for trying to perform well at their job, and the victimized employee is not guaranteed any compensation for the assault. Sounds pretty bad, doesn't it? 

What?  Are you now condenming military regulations regarding the treatment of Gov't employees?  Are they too being torured?

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/22/05 at 3:55 pm

So go there.  Please.

I'll provide $100 toward your travel expenses if you go as as a suspected terrorist, and spend 2 weeks under interogation.  Send me conformation of the deal and your address and the check is in the mail.

Written By: EthanM on 06/22/05 at 5:26 pm

What?  Are you now condenming military regulations regarding the treatment of Gov't employees?  Are they too being torured?

I wasn't describing a job that has anything to do with the government. But i had hoped someone might have guessed what I ws talking about by now. I'll give it a couple of days and then I'll say what I was referring to.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/05 at 6:11 pm

Sounds like sports-my guess basketball. If so, what does that have to do with the topic?

Cat

Written By: EthanM on 06/22/05 at 6:38 pm

It is basketball... just that something really good can be made to look really bad by omission of facts... just like something terrible can look great the same way.

Check for new replies or respond here...