» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Teen arrested for writing story about zombies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 1:02 am

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=2989614

Subject: Re: Teen arrested for writing story about zombies.

Written By: Tam on 03/07/05 at 1:07 am

You have got to be kidding me!
Better tell all authors, especially Stephen King!
Pulease!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 1:10 am

Whatever happened to creative license?

What if your kid came home and said,
"You want to hear about our school play, it's got stabbings, poisonings, cross-dressing, incest, necrophilia, and in the end everybody dies in a bloodbath!"
"Good God, what kind of garbage is that? I'm going to complain to the schoolboard, what's the name of that play?"
"Hamlet."
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 2:35 am

well....it IS Kentucky ;)

There's probably a Hamlet, Kentucky, but I'd be a little frightened of a Kentucky Hamlet.
:o
To keep it on topic, you could get arrested for a about a Zombie Hamlet from Kentucky!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 3:55 am

"You want to hear about our school play, it's got stabbings, poisonings, cross-dressing, incest, necrophilia, and in the end everybody dies in a bloodbath!"
"Good God, what kind of garbage is that? I'm going to complain to the schoolboard, what's the name of that play?"
"Hamlet."

Just don't mention MacBeth!

It has witchcraft, murder, blackmail, double crossings, abuse of power, huge bloody battles, ghosts, and in the end the main charecter dies a very nasty death!

Written By: Powerslave on 03/07/05 at 4:05 am

Just don't mention MacBeth!

It has witchcraft, murder, blackmail, double crossings, abuse of power, huge bloody battles, ghosts, and in the end the main charecter dies a very nasty death!

And suicide!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 7:42 am

And suicide!

Exactly...did you ever read any of those Greek myths? Oh, don't even go there! Just lurid tales of sex and violence.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/07/05 at 8:13 am

Guess they need to take Shakespeare out of the curriculum. ::)

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time.  Methinks the school officials and police are going a wee bit too far. 

Written By: goodsin on 03/07/05 at 9:35 am

Is it  just me or does anyone else have an unexplained urge to read this story  now?

Sounds like you'd be at risk of being prosecuted for sedition if you did, the way things are going! ;D You may also be expressing dangerous terrorist sympathies by expressing this desire, be careful... :o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/07/05 at 11:32 am

How owning movies with zombies in them? Does that qualify too?  ::)

Written By: Mona on 03/07/05 at 11:39 am

I used to work at a dentention center.  One of our boys was an excellent student, had never gotten into any trouble but one day he made the mistake of quoting a line from an Austin Powers movie, something about I have lasers on the moon and I'm going to destroy the earth.  I understand zero tolerance for terroristic threats, but seriously can't we have some common sense, too?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 03/07/05 at 11:49 am

when i was a teen i used to write disturbing stories of murder and mayhem about my fellow classmates and teachers....one such story i handing in as a class assignment in english and i got an 'A'. i would have been thrown in an asylum had i been a teen today....

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/05 at 5:42 pm

"Hamlet."

Of course it could just as well be the Bible.  It is ugly what is going on in the name of fighting terrorism

Written By: Apricot on 03/07/05 at 6:42 pm

Exactly...did you ever read any of those Greek myths? Oh, don't even go there! Just lurid tales of sex and violence.

Ever read Norse myths? If somebody ain't gettin' raped, somebody gon' die.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 03/07/05 at 7:47 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else have an unexplained urge to read this story now?

I do.  I guess when they haul you away for reading it, I'll be there too. ;)

Written By: UKVisitor on 03/07/05 at 9:11 pm

Madness, buty hey on a brighter - but weirder side - the badn I manage is being allowed into the USA even though at their Embassy interview in London (as 8am this morning - how uncivilised!) the interviewer did ask them what was meant by "sonic terrorism" which was used to describe the band in an online review.  :D :D :D The interviewer guy obviously had a sense of humour (he granted the visa) but the narc who researched the article was perhaps a little overzealous - a bit like the Kentucky police it would seem. Gawd help them if they ever read some of my stories from when I was a teenager  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/08/05 at 12:45 pm

Ever read Norse myths? If somebody ain't gettin' raped, somebody gon' die.  ;D

Some of the stuff in The Bible is a bit on the messy side too.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...