» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ban on gay blood donations lifted

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/11 at 5:54 am

The lifetime ban on blood donations by homosexual and bisexual men will be lifted in England, Scotland and Wales.

Ministers have agreed to let men who have not had sex with another man in the past 12 months to donate from November.

The restrictions were put in place in the 1980s to prevent the risk of HIV contamination.

However, the latest medical evidence presented to a government panel argued the ban could no longer be justified.

Ministers in the three countries accepted the argument and said they would be relaxing the rules. Northern Ireland is expected to make a decision soon.

Several other countries have already come to similar verdicts.

The National Blood Service screens all donations for HIV and other infections. However, there is a "window period" after infection during which it is impossible to detect the virus.

In the UK, a lifetime ban was introduced in the early 1980s as a response to the Aids epidemic and the lack of adequate HIV tests.

Most new HIV infections acquired in the UK are from men who have sex with men.

Other at-risk groups, such as people who have been sexually active in high-risk countries, are banned from donating for a year.

The lifetime ban had been questioned both on equality and medical grounds, in the light of developments such as improved blood screening tests which have reduced the size of the "window period" and reduced the risk of contamination.

South Africa has introduced a six-month gap between sex and donation. It is a year in Australia, Sweden and Japan.

Research published at the end of last year suggested there was no significant increase in the risk of HIV infection after the change in the rules in Australia.

The UK government's Advisory Committee on the Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs had been reviewing the policy.

During its meeting in January it was argued that "the evidence does not support the continuation of the ban", and "the evidence supports a 12-month deferral period since last occurrence be introduced for men who have had oral or anal sex with another man, whether a condom or other protective was used or not".

Earlier in the year the Royal College of Nursing voted overwhelmingly in favour of lifting the ban.

Subject: Re: Ban on gay blood donations lifted

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/11 at 10:27 am

What about a woman who has had sex with a man who has had sex with a man within the last 12 months?
???

Written By: karen on 09/08/11 at 2:06 pm

What about a woman who has had sex with a man who has had sex with a man within the last 12 months?
???

They can't donate blood either.

I remember going to donate blood with a friend.  We stood in line waiting to register and read through the list of reasons why you shouldn't donate blood.  My friend remarked that it made you realise what a quiet life we lead!

Written By: King Tut on 09/08/11 at 2:20 pm

I don't know if there still exists a ban of homosexual and bisexual men donating blood in our country. I read an article in January that the Canadian Blood service was seeking to lift the lifetime ban on homosexual men donating blood, based on that it was outdated and needs to be loosened. But this challenge to the ban (and others previous) were rejected.

I wouldn't be surprised in Canada eventually followed suit.

For our American participants: Does such a ban exist in the U.S.A.?

Maybe I'm naive, but I never knew such a ban existed.  :(

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/11 at 2:46 pm

???

They didn't think about that, did they? ::)

Written By: Jessica on 09/08/11 at 3:30 pm

I don't know if there still exists a ban of homosexual and bisexual men donating blood in our country. I read an article in January that the Canadian Blood service was seeking to lift the lifetime ban on homosexual men donating blood, based on that it was outdated and needs to be loosened. But this challenge to the ban (and others previous) were rejected.

I wouldn't be surprised in Canada eventually followed suit.

For our American participants: Does such a ban exist in the U.S.A.?

Maybe I'm naive, but I never knew such a ban existed.  :(

Yup.  We still have a ban.  It's been challenged before, but nothing ever happened, so it's still in place.

From the Red Cross website:

You should not give blood if you have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test, or if you have done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV.

You are at risk for getting infected if you:

have ever used needles to take drugs, steroids, or anything not prescribed by your doctor

are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977

have ever taken money, drugs or other payment for sex since 1977

have had sexual contact in the past 12 months with anyone described above

Written By: King Tut on 09/08/11 at 3:34 pm

Yup.  We still have a ban.  It's been challenged before, but nothing ever happened, so it's still in place.

are a male who has had sexual contact with another male, even once, since 1977

Since 1977?
That's 34 years ago!

oi.....

:(

Written By: Bobby on 09/08/11 at 5:52 pm

Wasn't the UK involved in a scandal recently regarding taking prisoners blood for transfusion purposes?  I read it as recently as a couple of months ago.

Maybe it was lifted because the scandal was exposed.  ::)  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...