» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: GOP probes Michael Moore's underwear.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 7:39 pm

Michael Moore illegally offers underwear in exchange for votes (true story, not comedy):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=796&e=14&u=/eo/15082

Subject: Re: GOP probes Michael Moore's underwear.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/04 at 8:03 pm

Speaking of the Michigan GOP, Tom DeLay tried to bribe Republican Rep. Nick Smith of Michigan $100,000 for a "yea" vote on the Medicare drug bill.  This is the same Republican part that is now going after Michael Moore for gag gifts to college students in exchenge for their agreement to register to vote! 

The same Republican party to whom belongs the Ohio secretary of state who got caught trying to invalidate voter registrations that were not on thick enough paper stock.  This is Katherine Harris's Republican Party, Harris who, in kahoots with Florida Governor Jeb Bush, was caught illegally disenfranchising tens of thousands of African American voters.

The Republican Party is effing shameless, and cowardly to boot.  They are so scared of Michael Moore that they want to jail him.

You realize, of course, that none of this will stand up in court.  We have a secret ballot.  Michael Moore can't bribe anybody to vote for a particular candidate.  All those students can just as easily pull the lever and vote for Bush. 

He isn't bribing anybody to vote.  He is holding rallies with silly prizes in which students get gifts for agreeing to register to vote.  The students can take home a truckload of BVDs and Chicken Noodle mix and still not register to vote....and Michael Moore has no recourse.

This is about the silliest, most desperate thing I've heard this campaign season.  Tom DeLay ought to be impeached, removed, tried, convicted, and incarcerated for making a six figure bribe to another congressman for his vote.  Instead he gets a slap on the wrist.  Shame, shame, shame!. 

GWBush2004, if was a registered Republican I'd walk around with a bag over my head!

Furthermore, let's be specific:
"Per Michigan law, attempting to lure people to vote by offering a monetary reward is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500 and/or 90 days in jail.

Last time I checked, noodles and underwear were not "monetary," as in "the means of exchange."  I've never tried to buy groceries with underwear, but I don't imagine I'd have much success.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 8:10 pm

"It was something that was all in fun--he gave out underwear and ramen noodles, for God's sake," MSU student Sydney Hawkins told the paper. "He didn't make anyone register--it was just part of the comedy."

I don't like Moore either but C'MON! If they like Moore in the first place then chances are non-existent that they would be swayed by underwear and noodles ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/04 at 8:21 pm

"It was something that was all in fun--he gave out underwear and ramen noodles, for God's sake," MSU student Sydney Hawkins told the paper. "He didn't make anyone register--it was just part of the comedy."

I don't like Moore either but C'MON! If they like Moore in the first place then chances are non-existent that they would be swayed by underwear and noodles ::)

What would be criminal is if Michael Moore was giving away his own underwear!
:o

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 8:27 pm

They are so scared of Michael Moore that they want to jail him.

What a double-standard.  The nutcases at the DU (democratic underground) are stark raving mad that an anti-Kerry film is set to play in major battleground states (and some non-battlegrounds as well) before the election, yet they are cheering Moore's film hopefully being played before the election.  Personally, I'm not afraid of Moore's BS, let everyone see, see if it works.  Any way here is an article from The Los Angeles Times on the anti-Kerry film:

Conservative TV Group to Air Anti-Kerry Film

October 9, 2004
By Elizabeth Jensen, Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — The conservative-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, whose television outlets reach nearly a quarter of the nation's homes with TV, is ordering its stations to preempt regular programming just days before the Nov. 2 election to air a film that attacks Sen. John F. Kerry's activism against the Vietnam War, network and station executives familiar with the plan said Friday.

Sinclair's programming plan, communicated to executives in recent days and coming in the thick of a close and intense presidential race, is highly unusual even in a political season that has been marked by media controversies.

Sinclair has told its stations — many of them in political swing states such as Ohio and Florida — to air "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," sources said. The film, funded by Pennsylvania veterans and produced by a veteran and former Washington Times reporter, features former POWs accusing Kerry — a decorated Navy veteran turned war protester — of worsening their ordeal by prolonging the war. Sinclair will preempt regular prime-time programming from the networks to show the film, which may be classified as news programming, according to TV executives familiar with the plan.

Executives at Sinclair did not return calls seeking comment, but the Kerry campaign accused the company of pressuring its stations to influence the political process.

"It's not the American way for powerful corporations to strong-arm local broadcasters to air lies promoting a political agenda," said David Wade, a spokesman for the Democratic nominee's campaign. "It's beyond yellow journalism; it's a smear bankrolled by Republican money, and I don't think Americans will stand for it."

Written By: Dagwood on 10/09/04 at 8:33 pm

I just want to know who would want to probe Michael Moore's underwear, anyway? ewww

Written By: Jessica on 10/09/04 at 8:35 pm

I just want to know who would want to probe Michael Moore's underwear, anyway? ewww

What she said. ;D

Man, I'm not even going there.... :P

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/09/04 at 8:36 pm

Did you see that picture of him in the article I linked?  Since that picture was taken, it looks like he hasn't showered, combed his hair, shaved, and been on a diet since.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/09/04 at 8:38 pm

I tend to avoid pictures of Michael Moore.  To me he never looks showered. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 9:07 pm

I tend to avoid pictures of Michael Moore.  To me he never looks showered. 
Hey...if he's ggod enough for Linda Ronstadt ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/09/04 at 9:07 pm

Maybe he goes commando :o

Written By: Dagwood on 10/09/04 at 9:58 pm

Maybe he goes commando :o

Thanks, Mark, now I will have nightmares.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/09/04 at 10:57 pm

What a double-standard.  The nutcases at the DU (democratic underground) are stark raving mad that an anti-Kerry film is set to play in major battleground states (and some non-battlegrounds as well) before the election, yet they are cheering Moore's film hopefully being played before the election.  Personally, I'm not afraid of Moore's BS, let everyone see, see if it works.  Any way here is an article from The Los Angeles Times on the anti-Kerry film:

Conservative TV Group to Air Anti-Kerry Film

October 9, 2004
By Elizabeth Jensen, Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — The conservative-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, whose television outlets reach nearly a quarter of the nation's homes with TV, is ordering its stations to preempt regular programming just days before the Nov. 2 election to air a film that attacks Sen. John F. Kerry's activism against the Vietnam War, network and station executives familiar with the plan said Friday.

Sinclair's programming plan, communicated to executives in recent days and coming in the thick of a close and intense presidential race, is highly unusual even in a political season that has been marked by media controversies.

Sinclair has told its stations — many of them in political swing states such as Ohio and Florida — to air "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," sources said. The film, funded by Pennsylvania veterans and produced by a veteran and former Washington Times reporter, features former POWs accusing Kerry — a decorated Navy veteran turned war protester — of worsening their ordeal by prolonging the war. Sinclair will preempt regular prime-time programming from the networks to show the film, which may be classified as news programming, according to TV executives familiar with the plan.

Executives at Sinclair did not return calls seeking comment, but the Kerry campaign accused the company of pressuring its stations to influence the political process.

"It's not the American way for powerful corporations to strong-arm local broadcasters to air lies promoting a political agenda," said David Wade, a spokesman for the Democratic nominee's campaign. "It's beyond yellow journalism; it's a smear bankrolled by Republican money, and I don't think Americans will stand for it."

A television network executive strong-arming affiliates to run a partisan political propaganda program on the eve of a Presidential election does not compare to Michael Moore's position in the media nor Moore's tactics.  What Sinclaire is doing as beyond unethical, it is immoral, dangerous, and abominable. 
I'll have to look more into this matter.  There is a Sinclaire affiliate nearby me.  He already refused to air the death count in Iraq.
What a despicable SOB!

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/10/04 at 2:43 pm

UHOH! Better take the kids at my college who were offering coupons for a free drink at the cafeteria to court too...::)

Exactly. This is ridiculous. They are just reaching for something...

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/04 at 4:36 pm

First, evan if these kids do register, as Max said, they could vote Repub, but Repubs are afraid of a big turnout and have been makiong every eeffort, legal or not, to limit the vote.  Democracy in action  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...