» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Discuss: Upcoming VP debate on Tuesday, October 5th, 2004. Who will win?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/03/04 at 4:07 pm

Good reading material on it would be: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5377813/.  They say it will be the most interesting VP debate since the one in 1988.

Who will win?  This is the one I can't wait for, I think Cheney will smoke young Edwards.  Edwards has almost no political experience, but he is a skilled trial lawyer....something the average joe hates.  Cheney did kill Lieberman, but then again who couldn't beat that boring stiff?  I'm calling this one for Vice President Cheney, this could possibly be the only republican debate win this election.

Subject: Re: Discuss: Upcoming VP debate on Tuesday, October 5th, 2004. Who will win?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/04 at 4:21 pm

I think you got it wrong (time will tell).  As a trial lawyer, I think Edwards is going to make Chuuney look like the fascist pig he is, and wipe the stage with his butt.  After all, Chuuney is an up tight conservative with no sense of humor, and the charisma of a slug.  Edwards, on the other hand, is a dynamic speaker, as charismatic as JOhn Kennedy, and fast on his feet.  Edwards will make Chuuney look like the dynasour that he is.

Subject: Re: Discuss: Upcoming VP debate on Tuesday, October 5th, 2004. Who will win?

Written By: philbo on 10/03/04 at 4:22 pm

Edwards has almost no political experience, but he is a skilled trail-lawyer....something the average joe hates

A "trail-lawyer"?  Is this some kind of legal cowboy?

;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/04 at 4:27 pm

A "trail-lawyer"?  Is this some kind of legal cowboy?

;)

No he's a lawyer on the trial to become VP, and he will whip Chuuney's buttock.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/04 at 6:59 pm

I think you got it wrong (time will tell).  As a trial lawyer, I think Edwards is going to make Chuuney look like the fascist pig he is, and wipe the stage with his butt.  After all, Chuuney is an up tight conservative with no sense of humor, and the charisma of a slug.  Edwards, on the other hand, is a dynamic speaker, as charismatic as JOhn Kennedy, and fast on his feet.  Edwards will make Chuuney look like the dynasour that he is.

Cheney doesn't look like a fascist pig.  Cheney is a fascist pig, and it doesn't take a John Edwards to bring that out.

Actually, I have no idea how Edwards will do.  He is a successful attorney, but arguing in a court is a different forum than a national political debate.  If Edwards lets Cheney get the upper hand on foreign policy matters, he will get crushed.  If Edwards is skilled enough to push Cheney into rhetorical traps regarding the administration's foreign policy failures, Cheney will get crushed.  On domestic matters, I don't see Cheney being able to make himself sound good.  He doesn't have the populist streak Edwards does.  Cheney also doesn't have much of a presence, and he's a p*ss poor orator.  On the other hand, he is older and vastly more experienced (doing evil things) than Edwards is. 
So it's a toss up.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/04 at 5:44 am

I say this is a toss up.  They are both obviously very intelligent, and you have to be devious to
be in the positions they are in.  Cheney has(for some) a grandfatherly way, for others he is quite
smarmy.  Edwards looks much younger than he is which could translate into inexperience.
I am sure that at this point Cheney is not used to having people disagree, at the least it could fluster
him, at the other end he could end up blowing a fuse, goodnight d**k.  Edwards is a lawyer and
Cheney will try to pump that up, but that argument is getting tired, there are a lot of people who have
benefitted from the actions of ambulance chasers.  This is a definite wait and see.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/04 at 10:37 am

Like many have already said, Edwards' experience in the courtroom could prove as an asset in this debate. But I think that Cheney is meaner than a junkyard dog so I think Cheney is going to go for the jugular. Can Edwards hold his own? I hope so. It should be interesting to watch.

I could see Edwards nailing it to Cheney and Cheney getting frustrated and with nothing else to say will refer to his statement that he said to Pat Leahy on the Senate floor. (I'm sure I don't need to remind everyone of those "famous" words).  :D Wouldn't that be interesting?

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/04/04 at 1:01 pm

Edwards. Cheney will come off as some grandfatherly type and that will put off a lot of young viewers. He'll try that "vote for us or else" tactic that he has been doing for so long now. Edwards is a trial lawyer and in his world, eloquent persuasion is the key to winning his case.

Tanya

Written By: danootaandme on 10/06/04 at 6:07 am

Looks like a draw.  They both got there zingers in, I, of course, loved the way Edwards held his
own against the more experienced cheney, and think he had a better demeanor.  cheney always
looks like he is holding back a burp. 

Check for new replies or respond here...