» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Boston Police

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/04 at 7:18 pm

For those of you out there who are wondering what is going on with the DNC and the
Boston Police I am here once again with my to give my perspective.  Far from this being
a labor struggle this is as political as it gets.  The Boston Police are a very Republican Union.
They have consistently endorsed Republican candidates since the 70's.  I have walked labor
picket lines in Boston, and the police are not shy about showing their contempt for the people on
the line.  All the unions in the area have asked that they at least sit at the table.  It took a court order
after they refused mediation and arbitration. Now they have been told, okay,  you want to play
hardball, you are now in binding arbitration, and they are screaming about how they aren't being
treated square. Tom Nee, spokesman for the union, has told the the public that he feels that the
union has been treated poorly and he will not be responsible for the actions that unhappy
members of the rank and file.  Sound like a threat?I would not be surprised if he had a direct line to Karl
Rove to discuss strategy for upstaging the convention, and bringing us another 1968.

Subject: Re: Boston Police

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/04 at 8:45 pm

I haven't heard this story yet.  What exactly are the Boston cops angry about now?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/04 at 7:22 am

The police have been without a contract for 2 years, valid reason to be upset, but not an unusual occurence
either.  The only thing that hasn't been ironed out is that the city is offerring an 11% increase, the police want
an 18% increase and have repeatedly refused mediation and arbitration.  They have taken it up a notch because
of the convention and have put up picket lines.  The unions here have been supporting them, but have made
repeated requests for them to resolve the situation.  As I said, the policemans union is very Republican and
has never shown solidarity with the other unions here, their streets are all one way. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/04 at 7:29 am

The police have been without a contract for 2 years, valid reason to be upset, but not an unusual occurence
either.  The only thing that hasn't been ironed out is that the city is offerring an 11% increase, the police want
an 18% increase and have repeatedly refused mediation and arbitration.  They have taken it up a notch because
of the convention and have put up picket lines.  The unions here have been supporting them, but have made
repeated requests for them to resolve the situation.  As I said, the policemans union is very Republican and
has never shown solidarity with the other unions here, their streets are all one way. 

I didn't even know the Police union was Republican in Boston.  Figures, though.  Maybe they can hook up with the RNC and create some hub-bub over the goings-on around the coming Democratic convention.  A little bad publicity to grease the wheelse, eh?
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/04 at 10:47 am

I think it is 3 years.  Boston is in the top ten for compensation, the average pay right now is about 80
grand, they get alot of detail work, and it is not unusual for these guys to pull in 100 grand.  They
can also get step raises for taking educational courses, good idea, but pretty much turned into a
joke because of rampant abuse.  Credit for no show classes etc, etc.  The abuse of these courses
was so wide spread that there was talk of ending the program, but they are a powerful union and the
abuse goes on.  It is going to get real interesting as we get closer to the convention.  They will find a
reason to disrupt, that is a given.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/20/04 at 12:31 pm

The Carl Rove connection wouldn't surprise me a bit, in fact I'd bet on it.  And Kerry refused to cross their picket line a few weeks back.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/20/04 at 12:58 pm

I have to ask a ??  Is it 11/18% per year or over a span of a couple of years?  If it's per year, I'm sorry, no disrespect to any cops, but I say "quitcherbitchin" and get back to work.

18% over four years.  Wish I could get a nice guarantee like that, even 11% over the same time frame is a pretty sweet deal, and considering the amount of detail work they pull down, a pretty sweet deal. 

For those who don't live here, detail work is something unique to Massachusetts. You can't do construction work on the street, or even open a manhole cover without a cop present. They get a minimum 4 hours of overtime pay, even if they're only there for 20 minutes.  Other states allow "flaggers" to direct traffic, who get maybe $11 an hour opposed to $30-$40 an hour a cop sees for the same work.  IF they work.  Usually, the cop sits in his car and sleeps. I suppose with the Big Dig wrapping up in the next year or two, they want an increase in salary to help maintain their cushy salaries in the face of all the detail work they'll be losing. Everytime a politicial mentions ending the work details, the cops figure out a way to keep it.  A couple years ago, a utility worker during a blackout was arrested for opening a manhole cover without a cop present, which helped ensure the blackout lasted a couple extra hours.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/04 at 2:43 pm

The polices union has decided that it doesn't matter what the outcome of the arbitration, even if it is in their favor they will picket the convention.  This is not a union grievance, it is a political tactic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/04 at 4:29 pm

18% over four years.  Wish I could get a nice guarantee like that, even 11% over the same time frame is a pretty sweet deal, and considering the amount of detail work they pull down, a pretty sweet deal. 

For those who don't live here, detail work is something unique to Massachusetts. You can't do construction work on the street, or even open a manhole cover without a cop present. They get a minimum 4 hours of overtime pay, even if they're only there for 20 minutes.  Other states allow "flaggers" to direct traffic, who get maybe $11 an hour opposed to $30-$40 an hour a cop sees for the same work.  IF they work.  Usually, the cop sits in his car and sleeps. I suppose with the Big Dig wrapping up in the next year or two, they want an increase in salary to help maintain their cushy salaries in the face of all the detail work they'll be losing. Everytime a politicial mentions ending the work details, the cops figure out a way to keep it.  A couple years ago, a utility worker during a blackout was arrested for opening a manhole cover without a cop present, which helped ensure the blackout lasted a couple extra hours.

Welcome to the Bay State!  It's like that all over Mass.  No matter how small the job, you can't have a flagman for traffic, you have to have a cop standing there.  They spend most of the time drinking coffee and shooting the sh*th with shovel guys.  It's a Chief Wiggum world out there.  Oh, and there's these wacky overtime rules, like if it goes after 5:00 pm they get double time, and then double-secret overtime, and God knows what esle!

Danoota wrote:
The polices union has decided that it doesn't matter what the outcome of the arbitration, even if it is in their favor they will picket the convention.  This is not a union grievance, it is a political tactic.
Mind you, they're a Republican union in the snakepit of Massachusetts Democratic machine politics.  The idea is to create more tension, more deadlock, not less!  This Democratic party of House Speaker Finneran and Mayor "Mumbles" Menino is not the Democratic party you see when you see Kerry & Edwards high-fiving and smiling.  It's a slimey descendent of Tammany Hall thuggery!  Menino is an @ss and deserves all the razzing he's gonna get from those cops.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/04 at 9:40 am

Well the Policemans Union got 14%, but Tom Nee said that they will picket anyway, of course there will have to be detail
cops on duty at the sights they are going to picket, essentially crossing their own picket line with the blessing of the "union".
He said that they will picket because they were forced into binding arbitration against there wishes.  I have never known
anyone who wished for binding arbitration.  Look for the police to aggravate an already overheated pressure cooker.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/04 at 1:12 pm

Too bad they can't hire scabs to do their work. 

That's a dirty statement even in jest!
>:(

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/23/04 at 1:55 pm

Are you folks from Mass. predicting another Chicago?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/23/04 at 2:07 pm

Are you folks from Mass. predicting another Chicago?

I think I heard a few people state they fear that, but for the most part I think most people are too focused on how miserable the traffic is going to be.  One of my friends wanted to go into Boston for a get together thrown by the people at fark.com (which is one of my favorite sites) but with the security nonsense in preperation for the DNC on Monday, I'd rather stay the heck away.  My uncle works for the gas company where I live, which is an hour west of the city.  They've been sending him out there to work, because most of the Boston employees have been taking their vacation around the time of the convention.  I assume so they don't get caught up in the nonsense.

Boston is a fun place to visit, but I'm sure happy I don't have to live there.  The convention is just throwing the whole city into disarray, and ultimately isn't going to help tourism (since it will scare most people off this week).  It's hard for some people to believe, but Boston is a tourist destination in the summer.  Personally, I'd rather head down the Cape or go for a long drive anywhere else.  The city is hot in the summer, though the lack of college kids is a definite plus (more parking).

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/23/04 at 2:20 pm

Thanks, Chucky, for the reply.  I'v been to Boston several times to visit my son, who use to dance with the Boston Ballet, and I agree that it is a fun city - and GREAT seafood resteurants  ;)  The historical stuff is quite an attraction, like the Liberty trail and Old Ironsides.  I guess the concern about a repeat of Chicago isn't serious given that the cops are mostly republicans, as would be the protestors.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/04 at 3:36 pm

I heard on the news today that they're shutting down 2 of the major thoroughfares that run through Boston at peak traffic times.  I'm soooooo glad I don't live there.  A friend of mine's hubby is an attorney and was trying to get a continuation of a case scheduled during the convention...unfortunately, the judge denied the request so he has to drive to/from there every day.  I wish him the best...

Not only are they shutting down the highway, that by the way, was built during the Big Dig, they are ceasing all commuter rail service into North Station, and the Amtrak line that goes from Boston to Portland, Maine. I don't know why it would be necessary to shut the line down all the way to Portland, but they are,  I had planned to do a train trip to Old Orchard Beach and found out when I called about tickets.

As for the police and busting heads, if it is in their mind to make the mayor, the city, the democrats, the state, whatever look bad, they will bust the heads of their own mothers.  Well maybe not their mothers, but they will bust any head available, there isn't any familial feeling there.

Does anyone remember the article in 1975(not you whippersnappers) about the Boston Police Department?  At the time they were up in arms about how affirmative action would lower the standards of the department. It was Time or Newsweek and the front cover was a lineup of the cops, from the neck down.  It seems that the Boston Police Department was the fattest, and unhealthiest department in the country.  It was also on the bottom rung for education, quite a few hadn't gotten through high school,(the daddy factor got them the job).  They created standards to get into the academy, but after induction into the force those standards only get lip service, usually at the nearest Dunkin' Donuts.  By the way, the police department spent $205,000 on police detail overtime to cover the policemans union picket lines at the US Conference of Mayors.  How much do you think they will pull in during the convention?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/24/04 at 4:05 pm

Not only are they shutting down the highway, that by the way, was built during the Big Dig, they are ceasing all commuter rail service into North Station, and the Amtrak line that goes from Boston to Portland, Maine. I don't know why it would be necessary to shut the line down all the way to Portland, but they are,  I had planned to do a train trip to Old Orchard Beach and found out when I called about tickets.

As for the police and busting heads, if it is in their mind to make the mayor, the city, the democrats, the state, whatever look bad, they will bust the heads of their own mothers.  Well maybe not their mothers, but they will bust any head available, there isn't any familial feeling there.

Does anyone remember the article in 1975(not you whippersnappers) about the Boston Police Department?  At the time they were up in arms about how affirmative action would lower the standards of the department. It was Time or Newsweek and the front cover was a lineup of the cops, from the neck down.  It seems that the Boston Police Department was the fattest, and unhealthiest department in the country.  It was also on the bottom rung for education, quite a few hadn't gotten through high school,(the daddy factor got them the job).  They created standards to get into the academy, but after induction into the force those standards only get lip service, usually at the nearest Dunkin' Donuts.  By the way, the police department spent $205,000 on police detail overtime to cover the policemans union picket lines at the US Conference of Mayors.  How much do you think they will pull in during the convention?

I don't remember the article, but I have heard that Boston's force is repleat with nepotism, and is quite corrupt as well.  While I  am a strong union man, I do recognize that unions can be abusive.

There was a radio show, I don't remember where, that got into trouble with a game called "cop, no cop".  They sent a reporter to a Dunkin Donuts and views called in.  Cop?  No cop?  if they guessed right they won a prize.  The cops hated it.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/04 at 6:14 pm

I'm all union, never crossed a picket line.  I wouldn't cross the police line if push came to shove, but, I also recognize the difference between a union and a family business, and that is true of most of the unions in Boston.  As for the corruption, I would say almost everyone of Whitey Bulgers boys had a brother on the force. Actually, if I remember correctly(and I do) the roll call on both sides of the jail house door would have included Bulger and, oops, Nee, and there was even a Barnicle(as in Mikes brother)in Blue.

The AFL-CIO in Boston has stepped in to say there will not be any organized labor pickets at the convention.  Nee has decided that they will do maybe a couple of the parties on Sunday then go home.  He just doesn't know when to let go.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/04 at 11:41 pm

I heard on the news today that they're shutting down 2 of the major thoroughfares that run through Boston at peak traffic times.  I'm soooooo glad I don't live there.  A friend of mine's hubby is an attorney and was trying to get a continuation of a case scheduled during the convention...unfortunately, the judge denied the request so he has to drive to/from there every day.  I wish him the best...

Metro-Boston driving is a nightmare under the best of circumstances.  With the ongoing construction debacle AND highway closures AND detours AND convention congestions, we're in for a traffic CALAMITY! Motorists, avoid Boston like a poisoned sausage!  I would park in the suburbs and take the commuter rail if I had to go between now and the end of the convention.  Fortunately, I don't!  I normally park in the Alewife station garage at the west end of Cambridge and take the subway downtown.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/25/04 at 6:31 pm

I just got back from a ride into Boston.  There is something to be said about keeping cars out.  I rode around the convention site,  I noticed that there a lot of police happily raking in the Sunday detail pay.  The area set aside for protesters is a disgrace. But, far from the predictions of local business losing out, I saw quite a few resteraunts filled to the brim.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/04 at 12:42 am

I just got back from a ride into Boston.  There is something to be said about keeping cars out.  I rode around the convention site,  I noticed that there a lot of police happily raking in the Sunday detail pay.  The area set aside for protesters is a disgrace. But, far from the predictions of local business losing out, I saw quite a few resteraunts filled to the brim.

Exactly, you've got the "Free Speech Zone"  and the rest is the "Shut Up and Do As You're Told Zone"!  If you're walking around in the vicinity of the GOP convention in NYC, and you're wearing an anti-Bush shirt, be prepared to get handcuffed and hauled away.  That's how the Republicans handle contrarians!

Written By: dude on 07/26/04 at 4:29 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/25/dems.main/index.html

THis article says "Police, firefighters call off plans to picket" the convention. Good thing. Can you imagine this scenario?...........Group of protesting cops and firemen get a little too "rowdy" and the on-duty boys in blue start frailing on the heads of their off-duty co-workers........I would love it!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/04 at 5:50 am

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/25/dems.main/index.html

THis article says "Police, firefighters call off plans to picket" the convention. Good thing. Can you imagine this scenario?...........Group of protesting cops and firemen get a little too "rowdy" and the on-duty boys in blue start frailing on the heads of their off-duty co-workers........I would love it!

That would not happen.  There were detail cops on duty when they were picketing before.  They protested people going to work at the site of the convention while high fiving their brother members who got the detail work. The whole thing was a farce meant to cause problems for the Democratic Party.  The policemans union, which is not a union but a "fraternal organization"(if anyone knows the difference can you explain it to me) has backed Republican candidates for about 30 years. There is not a lot of sypmpathy for the labor woes of policemen by the other unions, because the police here would be the first ones across any picket line set up by any union here.  We honor their picket line on principle, they cross ours for spite.

Written By: philbo on 07/26/04 at 12:18 pm

For those who don't live here, detail work is something unique to Massachusetts. You can't do construction work on the street, or even open a manhole cover without a cop present. They get a minimum 4 hours of overtime pay, even if they're only there for 20 minutes.  Other states allow "flaggers" to direct traffic, who get maybe $11 an hour opposed to $30-$40 an hour a cop sees for the same work.  IF they work.  Usually, the cop sits in his car and sleeps.

That ain't just a sweet deal... sounds more like a protection racket to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...