inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Collector cards (sport and entertainment)
Written By: holicman on 05/30/07 at 12:21 am

Does anyone know of any good sites to sample the sort of collector cards available out there ?

Any site will do, the more the better.

Cheers :)

Does anyone have any sets of collector cards from any sport or entertainment genre ?

If so, what do you have, and if you know, what sort of value are they appraised at ?

I am not looking at buying anything, I am looking at selling what I have, but I want to do some research on this topic, and all the sites I have looked at so far havent really helped, so anyone who could help me here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)
Subject: Re: Collector cards (sport and entertainment)
Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/07 at 2:00 am

I would think eBay would suit you fine.
Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/30/07 at 3:27 am

I don't know of any sites, but I'm sure with enough searching & surfing, you can find a few sites but I think the best source is to buy a price guide at the book store or collector card shop.  I used to collect Baseball cards, & I have a lot, but not very old ones. My collection starts from about 1979 to 2000. I kind of lost interest. I have a few "money cards" but nothing too significant. I've got Cal Ripken Jr. rookie which is my favorite. My daughter has a couple of albums full of original 1st issue Pokemon cards. good luck in your prospecting holicman
Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 3:31 pm

Does anyone have any sets of collector cards from any sport or entertainment genre ?

If so, what do you have, and if you know, what sort of value are they appraised at ?

I have sets of Topps baseball cards, mostly from the late 80's and early 90's. (I also have a complete set of last year's Topps (baseball) and a few cards from this year.) For the past twenty years I've been getting the cards in packs and working towards achieving complete sets... with duplicate cards creeping in every so often. Right now I have hundreds of duplicates of 1987 Topps and am wondering myself how to effectively get rid of them. However, there are some doubles that I'm holding on to (such as Cal Ripken Jr. and Pete Rose), as they were "good" players, and their cards are more expensive than the common cards.

And my price guide is rather outdated; I got it four years ago.
Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 3:32 pm

I used to collect Baseball cards, & I have a lot, but not very old ones. My collection starts from about 1979 to 2000.

Do you still have the cards? If so, are any of them Topps?
Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/30/07 at 4:12 pm

Do you still have the cards? If so, are any of them Topps?
oh yes, I have them in storage closet in my garage, some in photo albums and I have many Topps.  I have a few thousand, but most are worth maybe a nickel each, but I got some Pete Rose, and Barry Bonds & Mark McGwire and a few other good ones.
Written By: nally on 05/30/07 at 4:23 pm

oh yes, I have them in storage closet in my garage, some in photo albums and I have many Topps.  I have a few thousand, but most are worth maybe a nickel each, but I got some Pete Rose, and Barry Bonds & Mark McGwire and a few other good ones.

Great. O0 I have a total of 7,253 cards (about 6,700 of which are Topps); that does not account for my duplicates, which I have roughly 500 of (mostly '87 Topps).
Written By: Abix on 06/01/07 at 9:49 pm

do you have any of the 87 World Series winners? (I'm speaking of my beloved Minnesota Twins!)
Written By: Badfinger-fan on 06/01/07 at 11:59 pm

do you have any of the 87 World Series winners? (I'm speaking of my beloved Minnesota Twins!)
Hey Angel, who was on that team? I'm sure I have some.
Written By: nally on 06/02/07 at 5:01 pm

I do! I have a couple duplicates of the late Kirby Pucket's 1987 Topps card.
Written By: Abix on 06/02/07 at 7:12 pm

Hey Angel, who was on that team? I'm sure I have some.

Kirby Puckett of course
Kent Hrbek
Bert Blyleven
Joe Niekro
Steve Lombardozzi
Frankie Viola
Jeff Reardon
Tim Laudner
My personal favorite- Gary Gaetti
Greg Gagne
Al Newman
Tom Brunansky
Randy Bush
Dan Gladden
Roy Smalley
Gene Larkin
Juan Berenguer
Those are most of the names I can recall...
I'm sure there were others but most of these guys had a part in the World Series..
Written By: Abix on 06/02/07 at 7:13 pm

I do! I have a couple duplicates of the late Kirby Pucket's 1987 Topps card.

are ya selling em on Ebay?
Written By: nally on 06/02/07 at 10:12 pm

are ya selling em on Ebay?

Uhm...no. In fact, I've never sold anything on Ebay. :-\\ I can send some to you if you'd like though.

Kirby Puckett of course
Kent Hrbek
Bert Blyleven
Joe Niekro*
Steve Lombardozzi
Frankie Viola
Jeff Reardon
Tim Laudner
My personal favorite- Gary Gaetti
Greg Gagne
Al Newman
Tom Brunansky
Randy Bush
Dan Gladden*
Roy Smalley
Gene Larkin
Juan Berenguer
Those are most of the names I can recall...
I'm sure there were others but most of these guys had a part in the World Series..

I have cards for all of these guys...but the ones whose names I bolded are the ones I have 1987 Topps duplicates for. Including their then-manager, Tom Kelly.