inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Karaoke Revolutionized: Week 1: ("Addicted" by Simple Plan) Deadline: 8/07/08

Written By: Matthias on 07/31/08 at 6:37 pm

Karaoke Revolutionized

Week One
Simple Plan's "Addicted"

Karaoke Revolutionized is an ongoing project that allows parodists the opportunity to parody popular songs that they wouldn't ordinarily take a look at, especially the older folks on this site who generally stick to 60's and 70's hits. This project follows the famous games that allow players to sing along to their favorite songs, using microphones that hook up to the Playstation 2. Usually all big top Billboard hits, with on the rare occasion a few exceptions.

This week's song is "Addicted" by the band Simple Plan

A little information on Simple Plan...

- Simple Plan is a French Canadian pop punk band based in Montreal, Quebec

- Their hits include...
   - "Addicted"
   - "I'm Just A Kid"
   - "Perfect"
   - "I'd Do Anything"

A little information on the song "Addicted"...

- This song is about the pain of breakup, and how the singer is totally addicted to the object of his devotion. The song could also be about unrequited love.

- This song is controversial in it's own right because the line "I'm Addict" sound exactly like "I'm A Dick" (And this was actually the inital plan of the band getting the word "Dick" onto MuchMusic and MTV)

Lyrics:

I heard you're doing OK
But I want you to know
I'm addict
I'm addicted to you
I can't pretend I don't care
When you don't think about me
Do you think I deserve this?

I tried to make you happy but you left anyway

I'm trying to forget that
I'm addicted to you
But I want it and I need it
I'm addicted to you
Now it's over
Can't forget what you said
And I never wanna do this again
Heartbreaker
Heartbreaker
Heartbreaker

Since the day I met you
And after all we've been through
I'm still a dick
I'm addicted to you
I think you know that it's true
I'd run a thousand miles to get you
Do you think I deserve this?

I tried to make you happy
I did all that I could
Just to keep you
But you left anyway

I'm addicted to you
I'm addicted to you
Now it's over
Heartbreaker
Heartbreaker

How long will I be waiting?
Until the end of time
I don't know why I'm still waiting
I can't make you mine

I'm addicted to you
I'm addicted to you

Now it's over
Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker
I'm addicted to you
Heartbreaker
I'm addicted to you
Heartbreaker
I'm addicted to you
Heartbreaker
I'm addicted to you
Heartbreaker

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO6LCUwTkLI

Deadline: 8/7/08

Subject: Re: Karaoke Revolutionized: Week 1: ("Addicted" by Simple Plan) Deadline: 8/07/08

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/01/08 at 7:55 am

Hmm. I had been toying with the idea of an open, periodic challenge for parodying Billboard #1 Hits OF The Week. I believe you have beat me to it with a similar notion. Karma for you for putting it together. It will be cool to see a truckload of one particular current song suddenly blast onto the New Entries list!

I'm game, but I hope I can think of something in one week...my time is iffy.

Subject: Re: Karaoke Revolutionized: Week 1: ("Addicted" by Simple Plan) Deadline: 8/07/08

Written By: Matthias on 08/01/08 at 3:28 pm

I think a song a week is do-able for the shorter songs such as "Addicted", I'm probably going to allow 2 to 3 weeks for some of the more epic songs in this game such as "End Of The World" or "One Week" or "Crazy In Love" this contest isn't going to be easy, but I think it's going to be pretty rewarding and a lot of fun.

I'm going to work on this song with the title idea "Allergic"

Subject: Re: Karaoke Revolutionized: Week 1: ("Addicted" by Simple Plan) Deadline: 8/07/0

Written By: EthanM on 08/01/08 at 7:47 pm

I already wrote one when addicted was either still high on the charts or had been there recently, and I don't plan on writing a new one. Although I wholeheartedly encourage any attempt to encourage high-quality parodies of new songs.

Subject: Re: Karaoke Revolutionized: Week 1: ("Addicted" by Simple Plan) Deadline: 8/07/0

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/01/08 at 8:02 pm

I already wrote one when addicted was either still high on the charts or had been there recently, and I don't plan on writing a new one. Although I wholeheartedly encourage any attempt to encourage high-quality parodies of new songs.

Ethan, post that parody here, Matty isn't limiting these posts to new songs like the Idol competition

Written By: EthanM on 08/01/08 at 8:05 pm

From August 22,2003

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/simpleplan8.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/04/08 at 7:43 am

I think a song a week is do-able for the shorter songs such as "Addicted", I'm probably going to allow 2 to 3 weeks for some of the more epic songs in this game such as "End Of The World" or "One Week" or "Crazy In Love" this contest isn't going to be easy, but I think it's going to be pretty rewarding and a lot of fun.I'm going to work on this song with the title idea "Allergic"

Mine will show up either tomorrow or Wednesday, but Matty...to be quite honest, it would take me a month to do a decent, non-surreal "One Week" .  :D

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/04/08 at 9:53 pm

I've got "Bad Neighbors" posting tomorrow. . .

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/05/08 at 8:59 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/simpleplan79.shtml

Written By: Matthias on 08/06/08 at 9:18 am

"Allergic" has just been written and will be submitted for tomorrow! I need to get some headphones, and proof read this first, because this was all based on the lyrics as of right now, because my computer isn't working properly back at the apartment. (No Internet!)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/08 at 10:36 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/asimpleplan1.shtml

EDIT: D'oh--- "A Simple Plan"...urgh...like saying "The Pink Floyd", right. oops.  :-[

Written By: Matthias on 08/06/08 at 3:16 pm

Question... Do you guys want to vote for the best "Addicted" parody or just keep this an ongoing parody project? I would like it to be an ongoing project, but I think it might garner more respect if it's a competition...

Either way it's a toss up, so what do you guys think I should do?

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/06/08 at 3:52 pm

Question... Do you guys want to vote for the best "Addicted" parody or just keep this an ongoing parody project? I would like it to be an ongoing project, but I think it might garner more respect if it's a competition...

Either way it's a toss up, so what do you guys think I should do?

I vote this as an on-going project, until we all get sick of it, or until you do as the instigator ;D. I feel inundated by contests as it is already. To increase visibility, perhaps make this an on-going thread in the Song Parodies forum instead of here.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/06/08 at 5:23 pm

I vote this as an on-going project, until we all get sick of it, or until you do as the instigator ;D. I feel inundated by contests as it is already. To increase visibility, perhaps make this an on-going thread in the Song Parodies forum instead of here.

I second this vote, I love contests and all, but I'm holding off on all my ideas until Artistry is over. .. but I plan on doing Every song of this project.

Written By: Matthias on 08/06/08 at 5:35 pm

I second this vote, I love contests and all, but I'm holding off on all my ideas until Artistry is over. .. but I plan on doing Every song of this project.

Even the country songs? There is an entire game devoted towards that genre of music after all...

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/06/08 at 7:31 pm

Even the country songs? There is an entire game devoted towards that genre of music after all...

That particular Karaoke Revolution mix sucks monkey cahonas. . .I can't promise I'd participate in that cycle as listening to the music from that particular mix would induce suicidal tendencies and force me into therapy

Not to mention, as I stated over the phone, it is NOT part of the regular KR series as it does not follow the same format of variety the other games follow, it was a test run to see if genre based ones worked, considering they've scrapped the Rock, Punk and Ballad releases I'd say the test was a failure, so likely No, I don't hate every single country song I've ever heard, but most of them drive me nuts. . .and that's hard because I can listen to Britney Spears, Brandy, and J-Lo among others that AmIRight systematically dislikes. . .so that's my piece on that.

Written By: Matthias on 08/06/08 at 9:37 pm

Well... They're mixed into the lot, because I have them written down on scraps of paper that are going to be pulled from the Wal-Mart Plastic Bag (My regular fedora wasn't large enough to contain ALL of those peices of paper)... Anywho I'm parodying the entire series (Flop or success).

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/06/08 at 9:43 pm

Well... They're mixed into the lot, because I have them written down on scraps of paper that are going to be pulled from the Wal-Mart Plastic Bag (My regular fedora wasn't large enough to contain ALL of those peices of paper)... Anywho I'm parodying the entire series (Flop or success).

Ok, sorry then, I won't be fully participating, I don't consider that mix as part of the series, and you said it was only going to be an optional extra segments. . .but it's your project. . .

Written By: Matthias on 08/06/08 at 11:50 pm

Ok, sorry then, I won't be fully participating, I don't consider that mix as part of the series, and you said it was only going to be an optional extra segments. . .but it's your project. . .

Just to let you know... "Cry" by Faith Hill isn't actually on the Country game, and neither is "Friends In Low Places" or "Bobby McGee" so you'll still have to do some country.
Anyways... The game exists and it has the "Karaoke Revolution" title plastered on it soooooo there was no actual reason to cut it (Just because it bombed)

Written By: Matthias on 08/07/08 at 9:24 am

http://www.nottodayfatty.com/blog/uploaded_images/Allergic-Rhinitis-CArt1-777489.jpg

"Allergic"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/simpleplan80.shtml

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 4:25 pm

I've recorded a karaoke performance of Addicted, I'm waiting for processing to finish over at YouTube and I'll post it here.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 4:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXhx0d1PCw

Me singing "Addicted" on Karaoke Revolution

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/07/08 at 5:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXhx0d1PCw

Me singing "Addicted" on Karaoke Revolution

Why not make more videos with you singing the parodies instead?  ;)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 5:28 pm

Why not make more videos with you singing the parodies instead?  ;)

You know, I guess I'd just been to chicken to do that to date, but perhaps I should. . .

Written By: Matthias on 08/07/08 at 5:32 pm

I agree with Aggy... I would love to hear "Bad Neighbors" done this way (Actually "Bad Neighbors" is do-able with The Sims 2 as a video, whenever I get around to making those again)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 6:50 pm

Alright guys, I reluctantly recording me attempting "Bad Neighbors" to "Addicted" using Karaoke Revolution, it will be up shortly. . .for those interested, I got a near perfect score (On the first line I was just a tad early coming in)  It's not the official recording, but it's fun none-the-less

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/07/08 at 7:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbzvsOIc0jc

Remember this rendition of Bad Neighbors is NOT final, or official, it uses the KR Backing Track, so don't expect it to be "Perfect" ;)

Written By: Matthias on 08/15/08 at 3:16 pm

Nice pun Dave... (And that line from "Question" fails again)

I also did a video, "Spammed By Me" turned out better than I thought it did, I might actually start doing these at least the ones from the two games I own.
I do have the Party Mix so what ever "Pain" turns into I can do a video for that...

Here's "Allergic" I had the start of a cold so it actually worked to enhance the apperance of this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EASnj0EfI

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/15/08 at 4:07 pm

I watched your vids, guys, see comments there.

Check for new replies or respond here...