inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs You Love - To Hate!

Written By: Red Ant on 04/12/06 at 5:02 am

Hey guys and gals! I've decided to start this thread topic so you can list your least favorite songs and why. I found out today that several other people besides myself have a list of songs they do not like.

Song satires are a personal favorite of mine, so anything you list has a possibility of getting turned into a parody.

Anything is fair game (even, *GULP!* Alice in Chains).

Song name, performer, an alternate title and a brief description of why you don't like said song(s) would be the best.

Subject: Re: Songs You Love - To Hate!

Written By: ThaConqueror on 04/12/06 at 6:02 am

Here's your first reply, Jack (yes, I read your Feb SOTM entry ;D). How about 'Beautiful Soul' by Jesse McCartney. An alternate title could be 'Horrible Song' or 'Repeated Song'. More so the last one, 'cause that's why I hate it. I've heard it so many times, and Jeffu at school constantly playing the opening riff on his guitar during music lessons doesn't help much. There.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/12/06 at 7:42 am

er, here's a few

:)

Written By: Armstrong on 04/12/06 at 1:21 pm

I made a list of my bottom 35 pop songs of the 90s the other night... here it is.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 04/12/06 at 1:57 pm

Well, Jack, you already parodied "Sometimes When We Touch" and, I submitted one to "Precious and Few" today. That covers two of my all-time least favorite songs. Pretty much anything by Barry Manilow could easily be added to the list.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/12/06 at 2:24 pm

Hollaback Girl(I seen the video, UGH!)
Sk@ter Boi(Thought it was cute at first, until I heard it being played 2 times within 30 minutes on the radio)
That Way(Backstreet Boys song I think. Predictable, I knew what some of the words were going to be on my first listening of the song while at work one day)
Anything by Guns 'n Roses(parodies of them makes it easier to deal with them though).

Written By: Cat on 04/12/06 at 9:40 pm

I made this a while back, it'll take me a while to transcribe it since it has commentary, but here is Cat's List Of The Worst Songs EVER:

10. Travelin' Man

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/13/06 at 7:29 am

I have not much too add to this discussion, but I would like to compliment Cat on her obviously wide-ranging tastes, even on songs that she hates!

You have quite a musical vocabulary under your belt at a young age, and thank goodness for that.

Written By: Cat on 04/13/06 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Agri!

I consider myself to be a bit more musically refined than my peers, who mostly like emo.  ::)

Written By: philbo on 04/13/06 at 3:31 pm

7. Kiss Me Deadly–Lita Ford
Let's hope whoever kisses her really does kill her.

I did that one a while back: Kiss Me Hardy (a Lord Nelson parody)

Too many songs I love to hate... "I love Rock n Roll" (Britney's version); "If I'm Not The One" by Daniel Bedinafield; "That's my Goal" by Shayne Ward are dreadful songs that I've parodied by slating the original

The first song that I can remember hating 'cause it was so lyrically abysmal was "Lost in Music" by Sister Sledge  >:(

Written By: Scathe on 04/13/06 at 3:58 pm

;D ;D ;D

This is a very entertaining thread and also very inspiring.  Check the parody contest section for what I mean.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/13/06 at 11:48 pm

I made a list of my bottom 35 pop songs of the 90s the other night... here it is.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/14/06 at 10:08 am

There was a clever band in the 80s and early 90s called Big Daddy who took hot pop tunes of the era and refurbished them as 50s-60s doo-wop and R&B tunes. Their version of "Hold On" imagines what the song would sound like if Jackie Wilson had originally sung it, and it cooks, kicking Wilson Phillips back into their comfy California homes!

I guess the only way to hear this nowadays is by joining Music Match On Demand for $4.99 and download the Cuttin' Their Own Groove album, or searching for it on E-bay . :\'(

Written By: Old Comedywriter on 04/16/06 at 8:15 pm

Most of the ones I hate are monotonous, like "Joanna" by Kool and the Gang, "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin, and something I remember as a kid which was a reading of the Declaration of Independence sung by the Fifth Dimension.  But the worst by far is this:

Bill Withers, "Ain't No Sunshine."

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know,
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know...

Wake me when it's over.

And here's a clip of "Hold On" mentioned by the Agrimorph:
http://musicclips.liquiddigitalmedia.com/asf1/6/2/3/1/0001571326.wsx

25 songs listed for Big Daddy, with 30 second clips:
http://musicdownloads.walmart.com/catalog/servlet/ArtistServlet?id=34551

Written By: Red Ant on 04/17/06 at 12:50 am

//
My entry?  Wilson Philips, "Hold On".  Hated that even pre-911.  Hell, I hated that track the day it got released.  First thing I did when I discovered Reason was to overdub various samples from Robocop and Terminator to that track.

Hold on for one more day?  Yeah, I got yer "hold on" right *heah*, babay.

LOL! I thought I liked the song the first few times I head it (1990 - saw the video) , but having just heard it again I realize now, while the harmonies are great, it isn't a great song. I think I was paying more attention to Chynna Phillips' lips (and body) than to the lyrics.  ;D

This song and video are like a 4 minute long feminine hygiene commercial. "Break free from the chains", next I was half expecting"... with new Unscented Super Absorbent Extra Wide Maxi Pads! The only pad with wings and a propeller!"  ;D

Since I don't listen to pop radio anymore, I can only imagine how much this got played after 9-11. It got played about 16 trillion times in 1990.

And although they don't quite make my top list, here are some equally abysmal songs that make me stick my head out the window whenever it comes on the car radio, or leave the room at a school dance. My Dishonorable Mentions are:

Hollaback Girl

Written By: K1chyd on 04/17/06 at 2:24 am

There are a lot of songs I don't like but I'm only gonna name two very popular ones I fear I'm alone in not appreciating;

REM: Losing my religion. For some reason me and the singer's voice are not on the same level, it actually goes for anything of theirs, he's like nails to a chalkboard for me, but I don't know why, maybe perhaps it's some abnormality in my inner ear?

Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA. Here it's the music cos this has got to be one of the best sing along choruses of all time and I have no problem understanding why it was/is such a big hit. But I think it's beyond musically weak, take away the big man's voice and it's plain irritating.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/17/06 at 5:32 am

There are a lot of songs I don't like but I'm only gonna name two very popular ones I fear I'm alone in not appreciating;

REM: Losing my religion. For some reason me and the singer's voice are not on the same level, it actually goes for anything of theirs, he's like nails to a chalkboard for me, but I don't know why, maybe perhaps it's some abnormality in my inner ear?

Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA. Here it's the music cos this has got to be one of the best sing along choruses of all time and I have no problem understanding why it was/is such a big hit. But I think it's beyond musically weak, take away the big man's voice and it's plain irritating.

Can't stand LMR, Born in The USA I can stand about once a year. Both were played to death when they came out. And no, you have no abnormality in your inner ear, though the "nails to a chalkboard" description should be reserved for the Smashing Pumpkins.  ;D

Written By: Cat on 04/17/06 at 4:21 pm

Billy Corgan is all right.

But let me go ahead and say for the record that Geddy Lee of Rush has the worst voice in rock. He sounds like a billy goat on helium.

Written By: PRobinson on 04/19/06 at 4:08 pm

Billy Corgan is all right.

But let me go ahead and say for the record that Geddy Lee of Rush has the worst voice in rock. He sounds like a billy goat on helium.

I see you have "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?" on your 'secondary' list.  Maybe it would work better for you like this:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thelovinspoonful8.shtml

pr

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/06 at 9:40 pm

LOL! I thought I liked the song the first few times I head it (1990 - saw the video) , but having just heard it again I realize now, while the harmonies are great, it isn't a great song. I think I was paying more attention to Chynna Phillips' lips (and body) than to the lyrics.  ;D

This song and video are like a 4 minute long feminine hygiene commercial. "Break free from the chains", next I was half expecting"... with new Unscented Super Absorbent Extra Wide Maxi Pads! The only pad with wings and a propeller!"  ;D

*steals that quote about a feminine hygiene commercial for the record books*.  Yes.  Exactly.  (And bravo on your parody's execution!)

Gotta add my vote for REM's LMR as another song I can't stand.  "World to REM:  Stop. Whining."  'Nuff said :)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/20/06 at 4:31 am

The first song that I can remember hating 'cause it was so lyrically abysmal was "Lost in Music" by Sister Sledge  >:(

Considering almost all disco sucks anyway I didn't pay much attention to this one, but curiosity got the best of me. I had to d/l this to see how bad it was. In the morning you will see "This Song's Not Music".

Check for new replies or respond here...