inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Subject: Ever Heard of Book Releasing?
Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 1:25 am

I just wondered if anyone else knew of this. I had only come acroos it via an article I read in a magazine, then I mentioned at work that I wanted to read the book Perfume. A work collegue who is Italian said her Dad had found a copy of the book on a bus in Italy but as it was in English which he doesn't read he sent it to her over here. She gave it to me and it had a Book Crossing label in the front. I logged on to the webste and entered the barcode to find it had last been 'released' in 2004 and not heard of since. So I registered that I had it, read it and then rereleased it onto a train to London!
I love the idea of it but I figure loads must just end up in lost property!
Subject: Re: Ever Heard of Book Releasing?
Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 1:54 am

I just wondered if anyone else knew of this. I had only come acroos it via an article I read in a magazine, then I mentioned at work that I wanted to read the book Perfume. A work collegue who is Italian said her Dad had found a copy of the book on a bus in Italy but as it was in English which he doesn't read he sent it to her over here. She gave it to me and it had a Book Crossing label in the front. I logged on to the webste and entered the barcode to find it had last been 'released' in 2004 and not heard of since. So I registered that I had it, read it and then rereleased it onto a train to London!
I love the idea of it but I figure loads must just end up in lost property!
Anything for a free read of a book?

I have heard of this but never knew its correct name.
Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/18/07 at 4:01 am

While I've never added a sticker to any of my books....I've left them in various places (intentionally) such as the laundrymat, doctor's offices, and a theater downtown that has a bookshelf for "homeless books"
Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 4:12 am

At work we have a selection of books for people to borrow (on an ad-hoc basis not a proper library) and I spotted that one of these had some sort of sticker on it.  It wasn't a book I wanted to borrow though so I didn't follow up on it.
Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/18/07 at 8:13 am

I've never heard of this being done with books....I have noticed on some dollar bills a website (handwritten by someone) where you can go to track exactly where the bill's been.
Written By: danootaandme on 04/18/07 at 8:17 am

I have been places where they have informal book drops.  It sounds cool to have a way of finding where they have been. 
Written By: Gis on 04/18/07 at 8:54 am

Mine was from www.bookcrossing.com I had a lovely email from the girl in Italy who first released it, she was thrilled that it had made it's way to the U.K.
Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/07 at 10:40 am

I love that idea!  Now I'm going look for books everywhere I go.
Written By: spaceace on 04/18/07 at 10:45 am

Oh wow, neato!!! ;D
Written By: karen on 04/18/07 at 11:25 am

I was thinking of clearing out some books soon.  I'm going to look into registering some on the site.
Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/18/07 at 11:50 am

that is so cool! I've never heard of this before..but I think I will give it a try.  I do utilize that www.wheresgeorge.com website....where you can register cash and see where it ends up.
Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/07 at 2:06 pm

I must watch out for these books more often