inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about the Ernest Movies

Written By: Harmonica on 04/01/05 at 11:13 pm

Not in ever Ernest Movie but in probably 4 or 5 of them, there are these two older guys that really serve no purpose in the film. They are at least in my opinion extremely funny and I really enjoyed them when I was little, and to be honest I still do. 

There is a big fat one, who looks about 50-55. He talks a mile a minute and hardly ever shuts up.  The other one is very skinny and probably 60-70 years of age, his name is Bobby in the movies, but I don't recall the other ones name, which leads me to the question.  What is his name?

I'm almost postive that he says it in Ernest Scared Stupid, but I can't recall for sure.  Anyway I've been thinking about it all day, and I can't stop laughing about one thing inparticular.

The fact of the matter that The Big fat guy is twice the size of the other guy, and they're old men, the line, "this is my big brother Bobby" just gets me crackin up every time.

Subject: Re: Question about the Ernest Movies

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/03/05 at 4:35 am

Hey - big Ernest fan here, so I'm gonna love this thread! :)

Actually, the line-up changed a bit. In Ernest Goes to Camp (#1), Gailard Sartain played Jake, and another guy Daniel Butler, played his assistant Eddie. They weren't related. For Saves Christmas and Goes to Jail, the "regular" line-up was assembled. Chuck & Bobby (played by Sartain and a guy named Bill Byrge). In Ernest Scared Stupid (#4), Chuck's role was replaced by Tom (forget who played him), but Bobby was still in it.

After this, their appearences stopped. The other movies were all straight too video, and weren't as good (in fact, the only post-1991 one I like was Ernest Rides Again, where he's friends with a nerdy but imaginitve college professor and they go looking for the Crown Jewels of England).

Yeah, I got a kick out of the "Big brother" line Chuck always said. :D I never thought they were that old though. Chuck seemed around his late 30s (heavier weight make you look older), and Bobby maybe 45.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/03/05 at 4:56 pm

Actually, the line-up changed a bit. In Ernest Goes to Camp (#1), Gailard Sartain (sp?) played Jake, and another guy -- Daniel Butler -- played his assistant Eddie. They weren't related.

For Saves Christmas & Goes to Jail (#2, 3), the "regular" line-up was assembled. Chuck & Bobby (played by Sartain and a guy named Bill Byrge, respectively).

In Ernest Scared Stupid (#4), Chuck's role was replaced by Tom (forget which actor played him! But it wasn't Sartain), but Bobby was still in it.

After this, C & B's appearences stopped. The movies were all direct to video, and largely went down in quality (in fact, big of a fan as I am, the only ones from the post-1991 period worth watching was the follow-up to Sacred Stupid, called Ernest Rides Again, where Ernest is friends with a semi nerdy but extremely imaginitve college professor and they go looking for the Crown Jewels of England).

PS: I got a kick out of the "Big brother" line Chuck always said too. :D I never thought they were that old though. Chuck seemed around 38-42 (heavier weight can give off an appearance of being older), and Bobby maybe 45.

Since I'm a sucker for continuity and details, I always wondered if the events in the movies were all "related" or happened in the same "universe." For instance, Ernest never drives in 1990's Goes to Jail (the only one he doesn't!), so I kinda wondered if he got his license revoked temporarily after the reckless cab driving from 1988's Saves Xmas, LOL!

Yes, I know I probably have way too much time on my hands, hehe!

Hey thanks for the info....but occording to the credits I finally found on the movies...it was Gailard Saratin in both Ernest scared stupid and Ernest saves christmas.  And I also remember them looking the same. I think it is Saratin.

I loved those characters they were always my favorites of the movies.

Do you know they're last names?  Cause Chuck/Tom/whatever said it in Ernest scared Stupid.

by the way, your talking with a #1 Back to the Future Fan, if you wanna ever start a dicussion on that.

Written By: bj26 on 04/04/05 at 8:16 am

Marty, fyi, Jim Varney used to frequent this local pub called Charley's in Chevy Chase here in Lexington. My old neighbor used to go there for lunch and said she saw him all the time, and he was a very nice person.  BTW, Ernest Saves Christmas was a great movie - funny scene, Ernest visits Vern and wrecks his whole house - lol  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/05/05 at 12:25 am

I totally LOVE the movie, "Ernest goes to Camp"....some of the hardknock camper boys are actually still acting..I have seen a few of them in commercials and/or movies.

RIP Jim Varney

Erin :)

Written By: McDonald on 04/05/05 at 2:20 pm

There was a poster in my French class in High School titled "Les Émotions" and it had Jim Varney miming each emotion with the French caption underneath. I loved that poster.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/05/05 at 2:38 pm

There was a poster in my French class in High School titled "Les Émotions" and it had Jim Varney miming each emotion with the French caption underneath. I loved that poster.

Jim Varney's dream was to be a very serious actor, that portrayed the ability to play very concrete chronological characters.  Things don't always work out as planned, however he's highly admired, and will forever be remembered as a great memory of many children who enjoyed the Ernest era of movies.

Written By: McDonald on 04/05/05 at 5:42 pm

Jim Varney's dream was to be a very serious actor, that portrayed the ability to play very concrete chronological characters.  Things don't always work out as planned, however he's highly admired, and will forever be remembered as a great memory of many children who enjoyed the Ernest era of movies.

I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly did that have to do with my quote? That sounded like the last paragraph of a Jim Varney mini-biography... Why did you post this as a response to my post, which was completely unrealated to this information in all conceivable trains of thought except for the fact that they were both about Jim Varney (just like every other post on this thread)?

Written By: Harmonica on 04/05/05 at 7:43 pm

I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly did that have to do with my quote? That sounded like the last paragraph of a Jim Varney mini-biography... Why did you post this as a response to my post, which was completely unrealated to this information in all conceivable trains of thought except for the fact that they were both about Jim Varney (just like every other post on this thread)?

Just thought you might be interested in a few facts of Jim Varney.  Thought you might be a fan of his, and thought you might like the info.

I'm not so sure if I forgot, or I tried. Either way it was a mistake.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/06/05 at 6:53 pm

Here's some pictures of the guys we're talking about...incase someone is wondering.

A lot of people know that Ernest started off as commericals....well so did Chuck and Bobby.

Billy Byrge the guy that plays Bobby, was a librarian in Nashville, Tennesee for 22 years. He is a huge movie buff, and at 51 years of age he decided to give it a shot and wound up playing Bobby. Another story about never giving up on yourself, or your dreams.

Written By: lorac614 on 04/06/05 at 9:23 pm

According to IMDB, John Cadenhead played Tom.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101821/

Hope that helps!  :)

Written By: Harmonica on 04/06/05 at 10:17 pm

According to IMDB, John Cadenhead played Tom.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101821/

Hope that helps!  :)

Here's a picture of Cadenhead...he looks a lot like Gailard.

Written By: bj26 on 04/07/05 at 11:03 am

We're getting at the fact that even though Jim was known for that goofy personna, Ernest, he was actually quite versatile in roles he was capable of playing.  The mime you describe is new to me, also he did a lot of Shakespear in college.

Written By: McDonald on 04/08/05 at 11:15 am

I liked him a lot. I also think he played a good Jed Clampett in The Beverly Hillbillies movie.

Yeah, I saw his E! True Hollywood Story. He was very talented. Even within the Ernest movies and the "Hey Vern, It's Ernest" television show, the different characters and roles he undertook were hillarious and versatile. From a dummie, to a mad scientist, to an old lady, to a lumberjack... they were brilliantly humourous.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/05 at 2:03 pm

http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/253/253397.jpg

I always loved his goofy smile. ;D

Written By: bj26 on 04/08/05 at 3:17 pm

http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/253/253397.jpg

I always loved his goofy smile. ;D

Looking at him makes one find it hard to believe he could do serious roles; seems like he was this way always, kind of like Gilbert Gotfried.  Are thse guys like that all the time? Maybe so ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/08/05 at 6:08 pm

Hey thanks for the info....but occording to the credits I finally found on the movies...it was Gailard Saratin in both Ernest scared stupid and Ernest saves christmas.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 2:06 pm

I loved the face he made everytime he saw something disgusting. ;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/09/05 at 3:40 pm

I love those 2 guys.  Gaillard and his "wraith" scream in Ernest Saves Christmas.  ;D    And "Bobby" his facial expressions crack me up.

Fun fact:  Did you know the guy who plays Bobby was in a Ray Stevens music video for "Sittin' Up with the Dead"  :D

Written By: Harmonica on 04/09/05 at 5:10 pm

I love those 2 guys.   Gaillard and his "wraith" scream in Ernest Saves Christmas.   ;D     And "Bobby" his facial expressions crack me up.

Fun fact:  Did you know the guy who plays Bobby was in a Ray Stevens music video for "Sittin' Up with the Dead"   :D

Yes I knew that, infact I saw it. It's halarious!

And I gotta agree with you 100% on Bobby's "Facial expressions".  Especially when he just sits/stands and listens to chuck.

His one liners

Ernest Scared Stupid..."Plus Tax"
Ernest Saves Christmast  "V..V...V...V.."
Ernest Goes to Jail "Make my day" (Or something like that)

That's all I can remember.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 10:45 am

I LOVED these films as a kid. I can't even tell you how many times I watched them.

My favorite character besides Ernest is "Vern", who I don't think you actually ever seen on-screen. ;D

Written By: Harmonica on 04/10/05 at 11:43 pm

I LOVED these films as a kid. I can't even tell you how many times I watched them.

My favorite character besides Ernest is "Vern", who I don't think you actually ever seen on-screen. ;D

Vern's the camera man.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/10/05 at 11:44 pm

Vern's the camera man.

Thats right!

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/11/05 at 10:50 pm

.....which brings me to one of my favorite Ernest screnes:
it's from Ernest Saves Christmas where he goes to Vern's house and everytime he opens the door its blaring the Hallelujah Chorus in the background.  Then when Ernest is pulling the cord out of the wall the music's like  "AND HE SHall reiiign...."    ;D

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/11/05 at 11:14 pm

.....which brings me to one of my favorite Ernest screnes:
it's from Ernest Saves Christmas where he goes to Vern's house and everytime he opens the door its blaring the Hallelujah Chorus in the background. Then when Ernest is pulling the cord out of the wall the music's like "AND HE SHall reiiign...." ;D

;D

Where ya been? You should post more. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/05 at 9:05 am

how about in the movie, "Ernest Goes to Camp"...throughout the entire movie you see that little car/cart that he rides around in randomly driving around all by itself!! LOL!

He was a real funny guy...it's a shame that he passed away.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/12/05 at 9:17 am

how about in the movie, "Ernest Goes to Camp"...throughout the entire movie you see that little car/cart that he rides around in randomly driving around all by itself!! LOL!

He was a real funny guy...it's a shame that he passed away.

and to think there are those among us who say, "Smoking doesn't hurt anybody".

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/12/05 at 9:55 am

Another Ernest fave from Ernest Saves Christmas:

"Rock of ages, cleft for me.......LET ME HIDE!!!!! MYSELF IN THEE!!!"  :D      ok I guess for me songs are the funniest things

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/05 at 10:16 am

and to think there are those among us who say, "Smoking doesn't hurt anybody".

ya and wasn't he only like 50 or so?

Written By: Harmonica on 04/12/05 at 12:13 pm

ya and wasn't he only like 50 or so?

Yeah I imagine that he was around 50 or so.  However, that's not very old at all, considering the average American is 75 years life span.

A lot can happen in 25 minutes, yet alone 25 years.

Written By: Harmonica on 04/12/05 at 12:19 pm

Another Ernest fave from Ernest Saves Christmas:

"Rock of ages, cleft for me.......LET ME HIDE!!!!! MYSELF IN THEE!!!"   :D      ok I guess for me songs are the funniest things

I'm not even sure what the words are to use that describe why Ernest was so funny to me.  His randomness in the way he used his words just was halarious. Then in dangerous situations he wasted so much time doing stuipd things.

For example

He's in the back of a garbage truck and the trash is being compressed.  He grabs a baby doll and is going to stick it's head in the gear so it'll stop the compressing.  He hardly has anytime left, but instead of just taking the doll and sticking it's head in the gear, he stops and makes voices with the doll, "Please don't stick my head in the gear".  "I'm sorry, but I have to"  "But I have a family back at the store."  "I'll send them a nice card".

Stuff like that, is what made me laugh about Ernest.

by the way, there's a kid at school that reminds me of Ernest he does and says the most outrageous things.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/12/05 at 7:29 pm

I liked in the movie, "Ernest Goes to Camp"...when he was singing.."Gee I'm glad it's raining"....I always got sad when he sang that song! :\'(

Written By: SkyLowLow on 04/13/05 at 5:57 am

I liked in the movie, "Ernest Goes to Camp"...when he was singing.."Gee I'm glad it's raining"....I always got sad when he sang that song! :\'(

At least you had the ecuse of being a girl.

The first time I heard it I was quite young (I hope) in the theatre and I was like choking back tears around my buddies, IT WAS SERIOUSLY WEAK.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 6:33 am

^ Me three! That part of Goes to Camp always seemed sad to me - just how alone he was at that moment.  :\'(

In fact, I think Camp is my least favorite of the "Big 4" Ernest movies - partly because of the side story of the bad construction worker-guys, the institution boys Ernest is watching, and even the Old Indian subplot give it kind of a "dark adventure" feeling to it, whereas the other three are more humorous, does that make sense?

Maybe that the whole movie takes place in the country gives it a different feel, too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 8:15 am

shoot....i can't get enough of Ernest Goes to Camp...I even have it on DVD!!! LOL!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 9:11 am

^ Oh, I still like it quite a bit (and it definitely has its share of funny moments to balance it out!). :) It just always struck me as having a slightly different feel than the three that followed it.

Ernest Scared Stupid was scary/dark at times too, but in a much different way. Camp is just the most 'adventurous' of the main 4. I guess Saves Christmas would be happy/feelgood one, and Goes to Jail is just the all out silly one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 9:53 am

I think the real reason that I cling onto "Ernest Goes to Camp" is that it totally reminds me of my childhood......we would watch that movie all the time...and every summer before we would go to camp...we would gear up by watching that and episodes of "Salute your Shorts"...so, I am thinking that is why I am so into that movie...a LOT of sentimental value!

erin :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 9:57 am

Yeah - sentimental value can definitely influence you to like something even more. I feel the same way with alot of things from the '80s and '90s before about 1997.

Ya know, all this talk has made me wanna watch it again. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 10:01 am

ya cool...take a trip down memory lane...and watch it...it's one of those movies that I could watch over and over and not get tired of

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/14/05 at 2:09 pm

^ Oh, I still like it quite a bit (and it definitely has its share of funny moments to balance it out!). :) It just always struck me as having a slightly different feel than the three that followed it.

Ernest Scared Stupid was scary/dark at times too, but in a much different way. Camp is just the most 'adventurous' of the main 4. I guess Saves Christmas would be happy/feelgood one, and Goes to Jail is just the all out silly one.

I was scared to death of Ernest Scared Stupid when I was little.  It was one that I refused to watch, along with the "cartoon Indians" on Peter Pan, Ghostbusters, the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark......etc.etc.....

BTW, did u guys ever see Ernest Goes to School?  "...I lost my pencil, on the first day of school..."  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 8:10 pm

I was scared to death of Ernest Scared Stupid when I was little.   It was one that I refused to watch, along with the "cartoon Indians" on Peter Pan, Ghostbusters, the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark......etc.etc.....

BTW, did u guys ever see Ernest Goes to School?  "...I lost my pencil, on the first day of school..."   :)

yes...it was just on TV the other day...I watched a bit of it!

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 8:26 pm

I have only very faint memories of "Goes to School" and "SlamDunk Ernest" being on TV, and neither seemed that great (hate to say that about an Ernest movie, but it's true!). However, I really liked Ernest in the Army - he really rebounded for that one, but it was already 1997, so maybe he was considered past his peak then?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 8:36 pm

Did you guys ever watch the episodes of "Roseanne" when he played a rich prince who dated Jackie?? I didn't like him much as that character...what did you guys think of that?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/14/05 at 8:41 pm

^ Didn't see that one - if I watch enough reruns, maybe I'll run across it!

Interestingly, though, it seems like Jim Varney himself (and many of his other characters) were nothing remotely like Ernest, LOL.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 8:49 pm

^ Didn't see that one - if I watch enough reruns, maybe I'll run across it!

Interestingly, though, it seems like Jim Varney himself (and many of his other characters) were nothing remotely like Ernest, LOL.

that's true...his Ernest character was the one that totally "made" him, for sure!

Written By: Harmonica on 04/14/05 at 9:09 pm

Did you guys ever watch the episodes of "Roseanne" when he played a rich prince who dated Jackie?? I didn't like him much as that character...what did you guys think of that?

That was the thing about Jim Varney. No one would allow him to play another role of anyone, because in the eyes of many he wasn't "Jim Varney" He WAS Ernest P Worrel.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/14/05 at 9:14 pm

that's true...i mean....seeing him as another "character"...it just didn't do him justice.....he WAS Ernest! LOL

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/16/05 at 12:41 pm

I thought he made a good Jeb Clampet. ;D

Written By: Harmonica on 04/16/05 at 3:04 pm

that's true...i mean....seeing him as another "character"...it just didn't do him justice.....he WAS Ernest! LOL

Everyone was laughing.....except Varney.

Written By: SkyLowLow on 04/18/05 at 4:06 pm

I thought he made a good Jeb Clampet. ;D

Definately, I thought he did a good job at that as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/06 at 10:26 pm

Vaughn and I watch, "Ernest Goes To Camp" all the time...I have it on DVD.  I'll tell ya...it's one of my favorite movies from when I was younger. I love the music from it (the few songs that were on the movie)....especially that song called, "Brave Hearts"...sung by Gary Chapman. This is the song that they played whenever the gang was defeating Krader Construction. I would love to get my hands on a copy of it...I have tried looking for it, downloading it...but I have had no luck.

Does anyone else love this movie as much as I do? What are you favorite parts?

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/06 at 11:53 pm

Man, I haven't seen those Ernest movies in a long time

"How about a bumper sandwich booger lips?"

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/06 at 12:01 am

Vaughn and I watch, "Ernest Goes To Camp" all the time...I have it on DVD.  I'll tell ya...it's one of my favorite movies from when I was younger. I love the music from it (the few songs that were on the movie)....especially that song called, "Brave Hearts"...sung by Gary Chapman. This is the song that they played whenever the gang was defeating Krader Construction. I would love to get my hands on a copy of it...I have tried looking for it, downloading it...but I have had no luck.

Does anyone else love this movie as much as I do? What are you favorite parts?

Not sure (I think alot of "movie songs" were never released outside the film, and some of them don't have soundtracks), but you could do it the old-school way: hook a boombox up to the DVD or VCR and tape a copy. :)

BTW, would anyone agree, Goes to Camp is probably the most "serious" of all the classic Ernest movies? Even though it's basically funny, a few parts are kinda bordering on sad/dramatic, like Krader trying to seize control of the camp. It also just occured to me, every scene takes place in or around the campsite (i.e. there's absolutely no "city" scenes).

The other 3 movies were usually just silly humor. Even the sentimental parts of Saves Christmas were done in a lighthearted way. Whereas Goes to Camp felt more like it was touching family-oriented (I'm guessing they went more silly once this became a success - Goes to Jail was probably the sillest).

P.S. This was one of the first threads I participated in. Brings back memories. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 10:51 am

Not sure (I think alot of "movie songs" were never released outside the film, and some of them don't have soundtracks), but you could do it the old-school way: hook a boombox up to the DVD or VCR and tape a copy. :)

BTW, would anyone agree, Goes to Camp is probably the most "serious" of all the classic Ernest movies? Even though it's basically funny, a few parts are kinda bordering on sad/dramatic, like Krader trying to seize control of the camp.

yes...infact, when Ernest is singing, "Gee, I'm glad it's raining...".....it makes me wanna cry (even more, knowing that Jim Varney is dead now  :\'().

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/06 at 11:09 am

yes...infact, when Ernest is singing, "Gee, I'm glad it's raining...".....it makes me wanna cry (even more, knowing that Jim Varney is dead now  :\'().

Me too - I thought I was the only one! You really do feel like he's "alone/not liked" for that whole 10 or so minutes. I'd say everything from the huge construction guy beating the heck out of him, until the teen camp guys decide to fight back again with him, was pretty sad.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 11:26 am

Me too - I thought I was the only one! You really do feel like he's "alone/not liked" for that whole 10 or so minutes. I'd say everything from the huge construction guy beating the heck out of him, until the teen camp guys decide to fight back again with him, was pretty sad.

ya it was. I hated how the 2nd chance boys called him a loser and stuff...that was sad. Speaking of the 2nd chance boys.....there are a few of them that are still popular today (in movies, commericials, etc).

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/03/06 at 12:10 pm

ya it was. I hated how the 2nd chance boys called him a loser and stuff...that was sad. Speaking of the 2nd chance boys.....there are a few of them that are still popular today (in movies, commericials, etc).

True, I was never quite sure if the Second Chance-ers were good or bad (although it seemed like they were ultimately good). They seemed to kinda have an on and off again friendship with Ernest up until the final Krader scenes, when they realized he was on their side. :)

Yeah I looked a few of them up on IMDB not too long ago, but didn't realize some were still in the spotlight. Of course they're still young, but it's hard to believe the 12-14 year olds of 1986 are in their early 30s now. My mind thinks they'd only be, like 23 or something.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/03/06 at 12:24 pm

True, I was never quite sure if the Second Chance-ers were good or bad (although it seemed like they were ultimately good). They seemed to kinda have an on and off again friendship with Ernest up until the final Krader scenes, when they realized he was a good guy and on their side.

Yeah I looked a few of them up on IMDB not too long ago (I always do that with movies/shows/people I like), but didn't realize some were still in the spotlight. Of course they're still young, but it's hard to believe the 12-14 year olds of 1986 are in their early 30s now. My mind thinks they'd only be, like 23 or something.

yep, a lot of them are older than me, and I am turning 30 soon! :o

Written By: marcustremonti on 07/21/08 at 5:20 pm

If anyone one wants the "Brave Hearts" song by Gary Chapman just click on the link and download it.......enjoy! :-)
http://www.box.net/shared/330dxe4kk8

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/21/08 at 7:51 pm

If anyone one wants the "Brave Hearts" song by Gary Chapman just click on the link and download it.......enjoy! :-)

Thanks alot dude! :) I've wanted to have that song for a long time (besides audiotaping from the tv, lol). If anyone hasn't heard it, it's an inspirational pop/rock song, kinda reminds me of Survivor.

P.S. This thread brings memories back too, it's one of the oldest posts I made on here, so it's like double nostalgic in a way now!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/08 at 11:35 pm

OMG...if I could reach through my screen and hug you...I totally would! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song..and have wanted to have it for years! You've made my day. thanks!! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/08 at 11:36 pm

OMG....I'm listening to it now....this brings back so many memories!! I love this song! :D :) :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/08 at 6:34 pm

I read once where Jim Varney was going to write a biography of himself and call it "The Importance of Being Ernest", but he passed away before he could

Written By: solsalev on 02/23/09 at 6:11 pm

I've been an Ernest fan for years.  I especially like the Ernest Goes to Jail movie, as it was the first time in any movie that poor old Ernest P. had a 'love interest'...well, sort of.  She liked him for himself, despite the fact that he was a 'goof ball.'  The late Jim Varney, the actor who so brilliantly portrayed the lovable dunderhead, in fact, had the IQ of near genius.  This means it takes a lot of 'smarts' to portray someone who is soooo dumb!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/23/09 at 6:36 pm

I've been an Ernest fan for years.  I especially like the Ernest Goes to Jail movie, as it was the first time in any movie that poor old Ernest P. had a 'love interest'...well, sort of.  She liked him for himself, despite the fact that he was a 'goof ball.'  The late Jim Varney, the actor who so brilliantly portrayed the lovable dunderhead, in fact, had the IQ of near genius.  This means it takes a lot of 'smarts' to portray someone who is soooo dumb!

yes..he was a very talented actor.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/09 at 9:51 pm

Wow I remember this thread!;)

I agree with you, out of the "big four" Ernest movies, Goes to Jail did seem a little different, not just for the darker side with the prison scenes, but you're probably right it was the most serious one. Just the idea of the mistaken identity (nobody believed he wasn't Nash) was a little sad. Yeah, I liked Charlotte and you could tell she thought he was a little goofy but clearly cared for him. She just kinda guided him along the way.

Subject: THX 4 the Brave Hearts song

Written By: ErnestFAN on 06/02/09 at 10:15 am

THX marcustremonti For the Brave Hearts song  ;)

Subject: Ernest P. Worrell

Written By: Samuel C. Bender on 08/14/09 at 12:17 am

What I would like to know is where to find "Ernest Goes to School" on DVD.  I have the entire Ernest P. Worrell collection except that one.

What about availibity to see Jim Varney in his first Ernest commercial?  Wikipedia says on Varney's link he was first Ernest in 1980 at Beech Bend Park at Bowling Green, KY, and being with the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

I've read on baby name books and websites that the name Ernest means "honest/trustworthy." Would that be a reason why Varney's was named so?

Although it was near completion when Varney died, It would've been cool to see a preview of "Ernest the Pirate."

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/09 at 9:00 pm

What I would like to know is where to find "Ernest Goes to School" on DVD.  I have the entire Ernest P. Worrell collection except that one.

What about availibity to see Jim Varney in his first Ernest commercial?  Wikipedia says on Varney's link he was first Ernest in 1980 at Beech Bend Park at Bowling Green, KY, and being with the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

I've read on baby name books and websites that the name Ernest means "honest/trustworthy." Would that be a reason why Varney's was named so?

Although it was near completion when Varney died, It would've been cool to see a preview of "Ernest the Pirate."

Funny you mention that dude, because Goes to School is the only one I DIDNT like very much, though I probably should watch it again and give it a second chance. That and Slamdunk Ernest were kinda weak, imo. At the time, I remembered thinking the good movies were done - but Goes to Africa and In the Army were awesome, back to classic Ernest (like he was in 1987-1993). By that time though, not enough people cared and they went straight to video. If they'd been theatre movies, I bet they would've been alot bigger, though.

Right on, I didn't know it went that far back. I thought the Ernest commercials started around 1984/85 which got popular enough to lead to Goes to Camp being made in '87. I wonder if they're sitting in a vault somewhere, or if anyone has them taped from back in the day.

I've thought the same thing about Ernest the Pirate, I think I saw it listed on imdb BEFORE he died, so I know parts of it must've been shot. They probably just needed to do some vital scenes that Jim didn't live to do, so they ended up not bothering. :( I agree though, they should maybe include what was filmed as a bonus for fans on a DVD in the future or something.

Written By: Magua on 10/18/09 at 3:14 am

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm continually amazed by the lack of flame throwing at Jim Varney. RIP Sir. R.I.P.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/18/09 at 10:21 pm

It's because Varney was a class act, all by himself, and that's why I miss him, alot.

I love the earlier Ernest films, the best, epecially Ernest Saves Christmas, Ernest Goes To Jail, and Ernest Scared Stupid.

Written By: Davester on 10/18/09 at 10:35 pm

Didn't I see this dude in 7up commercials..?

Check for new replies or respond here...