» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Very Famous Saxophone Song

Written By: Philipe d'Oregano on 01/18/05 at 6:01 pm

Hi,

Who knows the title of this very famous saxophone song. It's the song that should come to mind when ones thinks of famous sax instrumentals.

I know it's a long shot searching for an instrumental tune, but what the hey...

Any ideas??

Subject: Re: Very Famous Saxophone Song

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/18/05 at 6:08 pm

Is it that Kenny G thing that made New Age muzak so "cool" in waiting rooms?

Written By: Philipe d'Oregano on 01/18/05 at 6:14 pm

Hmm, Kenny G. eh...

I'll look (listen) into that.

Anymore ideas in the meantime?

:)

Written By: zcrito on 01/18/05 at 6:26 pm

Hi,

Who knows the title of this very famous saxophone song. It's the song that should come to mind when ones thinks of famous sax instrumentals.

I know it's a long shot searching for an instrumental tune, but what the hey...

Any ideas??

Is it an '80s instrumental song you're looking for?
Or maybe it's from another decade?
???

Written By: Philipe d'Oregano on 01/18/05 at 6:33 pm

Is it an '80s instrumental song you're looking for?
Or maybe it's from another decade?
???

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's from the 80's.

It has a very distinct (distinctive?) theme (chorus).

It is being used frequently as soundtracks for TV programs or documentaries.

Btw, checked out round half a dozen songs by Kenny G (on Kazaa-lite) but didn't find it there.

The chorus goes like: raTÁ-ta, tadaTÁdadaaaaa and raTÁ-ta, tadadaaaaa(bends note downwards here)aaaaaaaaa :P

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 6:47 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's from the 80's.

It has a very distinct (distinctive?) theme (chorus).

It is being used frequently as soundtracks for TV programs or documentaries.

Btw, checked out round half a dozen songs by Kenny G (on Kazaa-lite) but didn't find it there.

The chorus goes like: raTÁ-ta, tadaTÁdadaaaaa and raTÁ-ta, tadadaaaaa(bends note downwards here)aaaaaaaaa :P

I have no idea what that sounds like but could you give any more descriptions? ???

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/05 at 6:53 pm

Can't say that I'm a big Kenny G fan.  ::)

Written By: matdn on 01/18/05 at 7:09 pm

The one i am thinking of is "lily lives here" by Dave stewart ( one 1/2 of the Eurythmics ) and it features Candy Dulfer, i think her album was called Sax A-go-go
Hope this helps.
PS i'm pretty sure it was a movie theme.
Cheers!

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/18/05 at 10:25 pm

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

Written By: zcrito on 01/18/05 at 11:02 pm

The one i am thinking of is "lily lives here" by Dave stewart ( one 1/2 of the Eurythmics ) and it features Candy Dulfer, i think her album was called Sax A-go-go
Hope this helps.
PS i'm pretty sure it was a movie theme.
Cheers!

You're probably right, matdn.
It's a 1991 instrumental first heard in the 1989 movie "Lily Was Here (De Kassière)".
;)

And who can forget Candy Dulfer...

Written By: 80s Lady on 01/19/05 at 12:00 am

Ok, I'm just gonna throw out the first song that came to my mind even though it's a trumpet and not a sax.  Any chance it could be Herb Alpert's "Rise"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/05 at 2:34 am

Pink Panther Theme ~ Henry Mancini

Written By: goodsin on 01/19/05 at 3:15 am

"Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits has a sax running through it as the major instrument, it sounds a bit like what you've written, I think...has been used for a number of theme tunes, can't remember where at the mo'....

Written By: karen on 01/19/05 at 5:20 am

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

This is the one I first thought of.

I reckon that represents it pretty closely

Written By: Philipe d' Oregano on 01/19/05 at 9:47 am

YES! We have a WINNER (or two winners actually)!!

It is a song called 'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty...

I downloaded it from Kazaa and there it was: "raTÁ-ta, tadaTÁdadaaaaa....

To my surprise I heard singing so this is not an instrumental tune, as I had claimed before.

The winner of the 'Grand Prize' is Mrgazpacho!

And Karen got it right also!

Very well done!!

And thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/05 at 10:33 am

"Baker Street" is one of my favorite songs, even if it does sound kind of depressing.

Written By: bgirl067 on 01/19/05 at 2:03 pm

Hi,

hey how about chicago song by david sandborn

Written By: RojoP on 01/20/05 at 11:15 pm

"Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits has a sax running through it as the major instrument, it sounds a bit like what you've written, I think...has been used for a number of theme tunes, can't remember where at the mo'....

God I love that sax solo.  I play sax and would spend hours trying to emulate that solo when I was younger.

Written By: Greatfull dude on 01/27/05 at 4:02 pm

your not going to believe this, but i also had the exact same problem as the guy who started this thread. Now i can finally sleep
at night because I found this melody thanks to you guys.
iv'e been searching for the name of this melody for a long time. so thank you so much
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Written By: goodsin on 01/28/05 at 7:39 am

"Baker Street" is one of my favorite songs, even if it does sound kind of depressing.

Not half as depressing as Baker Street itself- I'm talking about the Tube station here...

Written By: alfonso on 01/28/05 at 11:03 pm

I was coming back home, and i was listening a saxophone song in the car, and we were asking us what song was that. I put it in google and this post appeared. I hope the first poster was thinking at the same song because it would be great have finden the song too

Un saludo desde madrid, for those who doubt Europe not northafrica

Written By: smashlee_skye on 01/29/05 at 1:48 am

I'm pretty sure Baker Street does not have words (I mean, I believe you that the version from Kazaa had singing, i just mean that you were right the first time when you thought it was a saxophone solo). The words would have been added later, by someone else...kinda like The Londonderry Air, which became Danny Boy...everyone knows it as danny boy but it's actually the londonderry air... ::)

Written By: goodsin on 01/29/05 at 5:52 am

I'm pretty sure Baker Street does not have words (I mean, I believe you that the version from Kazaa had singing, i just mean that you were right the first time when you thought it was a saxophone solo). The words would have been added later, by someone else...kinda like The Londonderry Air, which became Danny Boy...everyone knows it as danny boy but it's actually the londonderry air... ::)

Not sure about that, most people I know (and I have queried people up to the age of 50-odd) think it was done by Gerry Rafferty in 1978-ish, and that it has always had vocals & a long sax entry & solo in the middle, but I may be wrong...not sure if it is based on an older tune at all, anyone know?

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/30/05 at 5:09 am

Yep - Gerry Rafferty wrote that song, with words, for his 1978 album City To City.

Of course, during the song, there is no singing over the sax part itself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/05 at 5:43 am

Not half as depressing as Baker Street itself- I'm talking about the Tube station here...
  There is nothing wrong with Baker Street, the Underground Station is very useful.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 01/30/05 at 6:32 am

Actually, my cousin used to work in Baker Street (he's a chartered accountant - not Sherlock Holmes :D )

Written By: 2 Very Grateful Girls! on 02/12/05 at 6:11 am

:D
We both are so glad for this post :P We have had this song stuck in our heads for SO LONG and couldn't work out quite how to google it. Somehow we turned up at this post!!

THANK YOU!

Written By: Josh on 03/26/06 at 11:32 am

Sweet, rock on for this post! Baker Street is the song that has been stuck in my head for ages. I wonder if their's an instrumental version?

Written By: stingr22 on 03/28/06 at 12:43 am

Baker Street was released by Gerry Rafferty and peaked at #2 on the U.S. charts in the summer of 1978.  The music and lyrics were both written by Gerry Rafferty.  Maybe you heard a remake or some kind of remix later.  But the original lyrics are below, courtesy of:  top40db.net

Winding your way
Down on Baker Street
Light in your head
And dead on your feet

Well, another crazy day
You drink the night away
And forget about everything

This city desert
Makes you feel so cold
It`s got so many people
But its got no soul

And it`s taken you so long
To find out you were wrong
When you thought
It held everything

You used to think
That it was so easy
You used to say
That it was so easy
But you`re trying
You`re trying now

Another year and
Then you`d be happy
Just one more year
And then you`d be happy
But you`re crying
You`re crying now

Way down the street
There`s a light in his place
You open the door
He`s got that look on his face

And he asks you
Where you`ve been
You tell him who you`ve seen
And you talk about anything

He`s got this dream
About buying some land
He`s gonna give up the booze
And the one night stands

And then he`ll settle down
It`s a quiet little town
And forget about everything

But you know
He`ll always keep moving
You know he`s never
Gonna stop moving
Cause he`s rolling
He`s the rolling stone

And when you wake up
It`s a new morning
The sun is shining
It`s a new morning
And you`re going
You`re going home

Written By: James on 04/12/06 at 1:54 am

I just wanted to say that you all did a great job finding out this song..... I was trying to find it myself, all i had to go off of was the sound of the sax on the chorus... didn't help too much.. so i found this site and thought "what the hell, this might be it" and it was... So thanks

Subject: Very Famous Saxophone Song

Written By: Joel in Portland, OR on 06/07/08 at 4:18 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Years and years this song has been in the back of my head, and to no avail had I ever caught the name of it on the radio, nor remembered anything lyrically... just the Saxophone segment! haha... I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I downloaded the song immediately.

I always associated it to an almost "Miami Vice" type of sunset, with the saxophone playing in the backround. Maybe I saw it on some movie or tv show.

Anyways, thank you.

The song is:

"Baker Street" by the artist Gerry Rafferty

Written By: solti711 on 06/12/08 at 12:23 pm

I like the saxophone in all the Spandau Ballet songs. Also try "Rio" from Duran Duran.

Written By: Pfloyd1970 on 06/24/08 at 1:41 am

Great job finding out what this song was. I heard it again on the radio today and thanks to this place I was able to get it online! ;D

Written By: 9 on 07/20/08 at 7:10 am

Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!
It;'s been 6 yrs now that i have been trying to find out which song was it ... i heard it back in 2002 in portland oregon on the radio ...that one was all instrumental ...but now i know it ... damnn ..i wonder how we all came from different directions to the same place ... thanks a lot guys

cheers !!! :)

Written By: Smytt on 07/26/08 at 3:22 pm

Ah.. .thanks for this topic!!!!!

I googles "the most famous saxophone song" looking for exactly Bkaer Street! I was looking for it for 2 years now... not knowing it's called this way. thanks!

Written By: Who knows? on 09/01/08 at 2:44 pm

I am having the same problem, and the one you guys were thinking of is not the one I am looking for...
I have heard the sax solo (instrumental)-no lyrics, from a band in the early 90's and throughout the years on the radio. It is very romantic and passionate. It has long notes and some are high. I thought the DJ anounced that it was Passion, but I have yet to find a sax solo with that name. I know there is an album with that name and that is not it. I listened to the songs on there. Please help. thx!

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/08 at 2:49 pm

I am having the same problem, and the one you guys were thinking of is not the one I am looking for...
I have heard the sax solo (instrumental)-no lyrics, from a band in the early 90's and throughout the years on the radio. It is very romantic and passionate. It has long notes and some are high. I thought the DJ anounced that it was Passion, but I have yet to find a sax solo with that name. I know there is an album with that name and that is not it. I listened to the songs on there. Please help. thx!

A group called Rhythm Syndicate had a hit song called P.A.S.S.I.O.N. in the 90s, but I don't think that is the one you are looking for

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/08 at 11:23 pm

A group called Rhythm Syndicate had a hit song called P.A.S.S.I.O.N. in the 90s, but I don't think that is the one you are looking for

And continuing the elimination theme, there was The Flirts, "Passion" (in which they spelled out the word "p-a-s-s-i-o-n" in the chorus), but that's also probably not the one you're looking for.  The track was from 1983 and the band is more like what you'd get if you took a disco/funk act and crossed it with an early synthpop sound.  There was an instrumental remix, but there's nary a saxophone in it. 

(So we're getting closer to tracking down the request, we're just doing it the hard way, by taking the playlist and crossing off everything that isn't it.)

Written By: robby76 on 09/01/08 at 11:27 pm

I bought that on vinyl!  ;D

Written By: james on 09/03/08 at 9:10 am

I am so sorry to ressurect a 3 year old thread but I just couldn't hold back my appreciation

I have been searching for this song for no less than 6 years, I thought id googled everything and then I ended up at this post

Baker street, what an amazing song

Thankyou for helping me with this!!

Written By: woops on 09/21/08 at 3:07 pm

In most music videos from the '80's, I've noticed that if there's a sax solo or whatever, they would show somebody playing it.

Written By: Blues_Pop_Jazz on 10/14/08 at 8:11 pm

There are two versions of Baker Street, at least that I'm aware of.  The original song, and the instrumental.  The instrumental, as I remember it, was quite popular on the radio (and Weather Channel...) back in the early 90's.  I, too, didn't even know it had lyrics until recently.  The version that I hear all the time now is the original, which is exactly like the instrumental, except with the lyrics in between versus of the instrumental.  I believe both are by Gerry Rafferty...

Gerry Rafferty also sung another song, which you're probably familiar with, Right Down The Line.

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/08 at 8:41 pm

I am so sorry to ressurect a 3 year old thread but I just couldn't hold back my appreciation

I have been searching for this song for no less than 6 years, I thought id googled everything and then I ended up at this post

Baker street, what an amazing song

Thankyou for helping me with this!!

Hey James, I loved your songs 'Sit Down',  'Laid' and 'Watlzing Along' :D

Written By: Dude79879 on 10/18/08 at 7:55 pm

Thanks this helped me as well as many others! But the verson that I remember was almost all instrumential and was in the Airport as well as my local channel guide channel. The verson that I've always heard had women singing the vocals part. If you know the name of this verson please tell.

thanks

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/08 at 5:19 am

After you have listened to that try Soul Serenade by King Curtis

Written By: Darin on 10/23/08 at 10:22 pm

Hmm, Kenny G. eh...

I'll look (listen) into that.

Anymore ideas in the meantime?

Im sure It is Gerry Rafferty - Bakerstreet from late 70s or early 80s   I just found the tape :o :)

Written By: WB on 05/26/09 at 11:41 am

To all folks who responded on this thread : THANK YOU !
I heard it on the radio in mid-80's but could never locate it. Somehow it seemed related to Miami Vice ! I caught it a few more times on radio but was unable to gather any details. I tried searching for it in various ways untill today when I stumbled upon this discussion thread after searching for "you+rolling+miami+vice".
Thanks again.

Subject: That's the song!!!!!

Written By: Mauri on 09/27/09 at 7:21 pm

:D Holy shiznit! I've been seeking this track for everrr!
I can't believe I just found it. Thanks to everyone who's
on this post. Wow! Seriously.

Written By: Stinkyy on 09/30/09 at 12:12 pm

I liked reading about this esp. the references to Miami Vice, Duran Duran - Rio, and the awesome lyrics to Baker Street.

If there was any one instrument that was definitively 80s, it was sax.  (Well, for me the big one is synth, but I can save a little bit of energy for sax later.) 

Check for new replies or respond here...