inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don Goodwin (70s singer)

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/08 at 12:00 am

Does anyone remember Don Goodwin?  He is best remembered for the 1974 hit 'This is Your Song'

This is Your Song

That guy in that clip explains it pretty well, though he left out some details, that I can fill in (like how it actually got to #86 on the US Hot 100, not #68).  Don Goodwin had 3 hit singles, all of which were written and originally recorded by Paul Anka, who produced all three singles for Goodwin. 

1974 - This is Your Song
1974 - Time to Cry
1974 - Diana

Info on Goodwin is sketchy, so I don't know where he hails from, but I do know that he is not from Canada.  He sounds British, but I could be wrong

Subject: Re: Don Goodwin (70s singer)

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/08 at 12:07 am

And if anyone perhaps knows this answer, 'This is Your Song' has been used in a TV commercial within the last little while, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.  For some reason, I am thinking allergy medicine ...

Written By: cooper street relic on 07/24/08 at 11:47 am

That is one of those songs that i have long forgotten but glad to hear again. And you are right there is no info anywhere on him.

Written By: skier on 11/09/08 at 10:45 pm

And if anyone perhaps knows this answer, 'This is Your Song' has been used in a TV commercial within the last little while, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.  For some reason, I am thinking allergy medicine ...

Yes he was from Huntington Beach,Calif.  he went to Marina High School. I have been looking for him for a long time.

Written By: whistledog on 11/10/08 at 8:56 pm

I have been looking for him for a long time.

looking for him? ???

Written By: Dave on 03/20/09 at 9:55 pm

I heard This Is Your Song on an FM station in Bogota Colombia last year.
It really brought back memories. A lot
of good old music never heard on the
airwaves in the states seems to regularly
make it on to the airwaves overseas.

Written By: Frank on 03/20/09 at 11:53 pm

I really like this song, I think it was one of those K-Tel albums back in the 70's, which i actually had...and maybe still have somewhere.

Written By: Michael C. on 03/21/09 at 1:52 pm

I remember that song !
Haven't heard it in ages !

Does anyone remember Don Goodwin?  He is best remembered for the 1974 hit 'This is Your Song'

This is Your Song

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/22/09 at 8:17 am

I listened to 'This Is Your Song'.  It's a nice song - laid back, cheery and sweet.  I like the vocals.  You can hear some Paul Anka influence in it, when you consider Anka's 1970's resurgence and the kind of songs he wrote then.

I'm almost positive I never heard it before in my life.  :-\\

Written By: Roger Penose on 12/08/12 at 4:20 am

In his late teens, I knew Don Goodwin reasonably-well.  This thread is interesting as it claims he was from Huntington Beach.  Perhaps, but actually, in the early 70's, Don and I attended Aspen High School in Aspen, Colorado.  This was back before Aspen became the glittered-money Aspen we now know.  It was a small town with far less pretense than it had great skiing.

I still remember his "quote" in his Aspen High graduation yearbook.  It went something like: "He who doesn’t live his life for wine, women and song, will be a fool his whole life long."  You can look-it-up.

He was in my loose circle-of-friends.  A friendly guy with an easy smile, lightly-colored curly hair, and sparkling eyes.  He was comfortable to be around.  I liked him.

One memory:  I clearly remember backpacking with him - and two or three other friends - once.  Well up the trail, on the way up-to Willow Lake - near and above the Maroon Bells, just outside of Aspen - we had to do a serious stream-crossing.  For some reason, Don decided to throw - rather than carry - his sleeping bag across.  Bad idea - bad result.  After the bag was swept downstream, Don spent at least a couple of very uncomfortable/chilly nights trying to get some sleep at 11,500 ft. 

Another memory:  also, on that same wilderness area trip, one of the things we used to do in those days was - from high up the side of a scree field (up a mountain) - roll the biggest rocks we could find to watch and witness their speed, skipping height, and destructive force on trees and other-stuff in the valley below.  I clearly remember Don thought this was really cool, enjoying himself thoroughly.  I liked Don for that.

I also clearly remember speaking with him about "This is your Song" and his relationship with Paul Anka. At some level, Anka made him very uncomfortable.  Not sure why.  I also remember that Elton John – in retrospect hard to believe - was involved-there somehow.  Maybe it was that Don had simply met him while recording, or had been introduced to him by Anka.  Not sure.

Anyway, I do recall the last time I saw Don in Aspen, hanging-out with people I didn't know.  It was kind-of obvious the music industry had changed him - his appearance, demeanor, priorities.  He didn't seem much-interested in speaking with me.  I suppose we all, each one of us, move on.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/12 at 7:25 pm

This is Your Song.  Still a fantastic song!  I often wonder if Goodwin's songs were not helmed by Paul Anka, would they have been as popular as they were in Canada?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULi7Q97fagQ

Written By: warped on 12/22/12 at 11:58 am

This is Your Song.  Still a fantastic song!  I often wonder if Goodwin's songs were not helmed by Paul Anka, would they have been as popular as they were in Canada?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULi7Q97fagQ

A classic Canadian 70s AM standard tune that all my friends had on a K-Tel album somewhere.   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/12 at 12:46 am

I must have heard these songs at least once, I just don't know where or when. 

Check for new replies or respond here...