inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People not watching tv

Written By: d90 on 11/18/16 at 11:28 pm

In recent years since about 2013 or so I have talked to people around my age or so who say they don't watch television. When did it become normal for people to say they don't watch television?
Do any of you guys still watch it?

Subject: Re: People not watching tv

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/16 at 1:56 am

Over a span of many years I have known many people who do not watch television.

When I can I do watch television.

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/19/16 at 2:35 am

In recent years since about 2013 or so I have talked to people around my age or so who say they don't watch television. When did it become normal for people to say they don't watch television?

I'm kind of a TV fanatic so I definitely do. What's your age btw?

If you're middle school/high school age, I don't find that weird. Usually, pre-teens and teenagers tend to do outside stuff like shoot the sheesh in the driveway. lol

Written By: d90 on 11/19/16 at 3:20 am

I'm kind of a TV fanatic so I definitely do. What's your age btw?

If you're middle school/high school age, I don't find that weird. Usually, pre-teens and teenagers tend to do outside stuff like shoot the sheesh in the driveway. lol

I'm 26 years old. You're 30 years old right

Written By: BornIn86 on 11/19/16 at 4:33 am

I'm 26 years old. You're 30 years old right

Yep.

When you say "don't watch television," are you referring to just cable and broadcast or are you including broadband (internet) as well?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/16 at 4:49 am

Yep.

When you say "don't watch television," are you referring to just cable and broadcast or are you including broadband (internet) as well?
The live television I watch comes through cable television.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/16 at 7:26 am

I do watch television but the most of the majority of my time is spent on the internet.

Written By: d90 on 11/19/16 at 11:38 am

Yep.

I'm talking about Cable Broadcast and Satellite. 

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/19/16 at 12:00 pm

When did it become normal for people to say they don't watch television?

I think around 2014, when people thought Netflix was more beneficial than cable TV. Although, my family still has it for new episodes of Game of Thrones and Saturday Night Live.

I stopped watching TV regularly around late 2013, when I thought there isn't a lot of good shows. Ever since then, I would usually watch YouTube videos. Although, it depended on which videos were good or not, since the site's quality turned into slight sh*t during the early 2010s.

Written By: 2001 on 11/19/16 at 12:00 pm

I'm talking about Cable Broadcast and Satellite.

Do they probably watch TV shows online? Like Netflix or HBO GO?

Written By: d90 on 11/19/16 at 12:04 pm

Yeah a lot of the people I talk to either have Netflix, HBO Go or Hulu.

Written By: 2001 on 11/19/16 at 12:10 pm

Yeah a lot of the people I talk to either have Netflix, HBO Go or Hulu.

I don't know about the US, but those services launched 2012-2014 in Canada, that's around the time they became popular here.

But even when I was in high school/middle school 2006-2011, there were a lot of websites where you could watch or download TV shows online, Youku, Baidu, Megavideo and others.

Written By: d90 on 11/19/16 at 3:09 pm

I don't know about the US, but those services launched 2012-2014 in Canada, that's around the time they became popular here.

But even when I was in high school/middle school 2006-2011, there were a lot of websites where you could watch or download TV shows online, Youku, Baidu, Megavideo and others.

Yeah i remember back in 2008 a classmate was talking about recent shows and he said he did not watch them on tv channels just on youtube

Written By: violet_shy on 11/19/16 at 5:02 pm

I sometimes watch TV, when I'm very bored.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/16 at 5:04 pm

Why aren't they watching TV anymore?  :(  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/19/16 at 5:08 pm

Because it's not good as it used to be. Before the 2010s, people could easily watch TV, but with no major involvement towards the Internet. After YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu proved to be successful, people started to watch more of their stuff in the early 2010s, and it caused ratings to drop so low.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/16 at 5:09 pm

Because it's not good as it used to be. Before the 2010s, people could easily watch TV, but with no major involvement towards the Internet. After YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu proved to be successful, people started to watch more of their stuff in the early 2010s, and it caused ratings to drop so low.

Are you sure?  ???

Written By: Howard on 11/19/16 at 5:36 pm

My Father loves Netflix and I watch stuff on Crackle.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/16 at 5:37 pm

Cause they're basically on the internet.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/16 at 5:42 pm

Cause they're basically on the internet.

:o

Written By: Howard on 11/19/16 at 5:49 pm

:o

today's society is doing it.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/19/16 at 6:07 pm

today's society is doing it.

It's trendy and cool!

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/19/16 at 8:51 pm

I'm very, very, very picky about what I watch! While everyone talks about things like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, I can't get on board with the shows. I'll watch sitcoms now and then if they come on while I'm in the room. When I do find something I like it's too late and I can't catch up on it all from On Demand as some of the past episodes aren't free or available. Like with The Expanse on SyFy.  >:(

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/20/16 at 2:43 am

I have a few select shows I watch, Doctor Who being the only one I watch the day after it comes on, all the others (like three others)  it usually takes me days to weeks or months before I watch it. It's hard for me to get into new shows, and when I do, I don't watch it too long, I might finish the first season, and then get bored.

Written By: Howard on 11/20/16 at 2:48 pm

It's trendy and cool!

It's going to be a new thing for the future.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/20/16 at 5:25 pm

Are you sure?  ???

Well yeah. Most people that I know in real life don't watch TV as they used to. Not even my mom. The only person that I know who regularly watches TV is my dad, but he usually watches his crap on his iPhone.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/20/16 at 7:20 pm

Internet, streaming, and heck, even DVDs (at least in my case), have replaced traditional cable. It doesn't really effect me either way. What I'm more concerned with is how boring the shows themselves are in the 2010s. Everything is serialized, overdramatic, and tries too hard to be "complex" and "deep". Nothing is based around entertainment anymore. If you like sitcoms, cartoons, fantasy, mystery, action, etc., today's T.V. will do nothing for you. For that reason, most of the shows I enjoy are from before 2007ish.

Written By: musicguy93 on 11/20/16 at 7:21 pm

It's trendy and cool!

Trendy, perhaps. Cool? Well that's one word I would never associate with the 2010s.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/20/16 at 9:08 pm

Internet, streaming, and heck, even DVDs (at least in my case), have replaced traditional cable.

I don't think DVDs have ever replaced cable. They just replaced VHS tapes with what they used during the 2000s, and shaped the industry (despite being poor) as we know today. The only difference is that the Internet has taken over the place of DVDs.

It doesn't really effect me either way. What I'm more concerned with is how boring the shows themselves are in the 2010s. Everything is serialized, overdramatic, and tries too hard to be "complex" and "deep". Nothing is based around entertainment anymore. If you like sitcoms, cartoons, fantasy, mystery, action, etc., today's T.V. will do nothing for you. For that reason, most of the shows I enjoy are from before 2007ish.

I digress. If you like those genres, then you're in luck. I mean, they still have some good shows like that. However, it's not like cartoons are going to be as critically acclaimed as they used to. We already saw the fall of modern Cartoon Network, and Disney might see a new era with anime like Pokemon, Doraemon, and Yokai Watch in the way. Nickelodeon might just be the same, since nobody over the age of 9 or 10 has cared about them.

Also, Disney has plans to buy out the rights for Pokemon.

Written By: 2001 on 11/20/16 at 9:17 pm

Televisual content is more profitable than ever, so it's not correct to say less people are watching TV shows. They're just not watching them through cable on the big screen, and are watching it on their computer instead.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/20/16 at 9:31 pm

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/458674_f520.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 11/21/16 at 5:42 am

Televisual content is more profitable than ever, so it's not correct to say less people are watching TV shows. They're just not watching them through cable on the big screen, and are watching it on their computer instead.

But what if they're just watching stuff on Netflix or any other streaming service? Aren't they giving more funds to them, instead of the traditional television networks?

Written By: violet_shy on 11/21/16 at 1:23 pm

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/458674_f520.jpg

Ha!

Written By: Howard on 11/21/16 at 2:42 pm

Well yeah. Most people that I know in real life don't watch TV as they used to. Not even my mom. The only person that I know who regularly watches TV is my dad, but he usually watches his crap on his iPhone.

My Father watches Netflix.

Check for new replies or respond here...