» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Breaking Up of America

Written By: danootaandme on 04/30/10 at 4:15 pm

I have given this some thought and have decided maybe it is time for us to go our own ways.  Forced secession.  I figure the best way to do this is to give Florida back to Cuba, return the Louisiana Purchase to France, the Spanish Territories(Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California, back to Mexico. The rebels (Mississippi, Alabama, The Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia(West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware can choose like they did the last time), can raise any flag they want. The Oregon Territories go to Canada, Canada can choose if it wants Alaska, if they don't the Alaskans will be able to see Russia from their house, their car, their plane, because they will be in the middle of it as far as the eye can see.  Hawaii, haven't figured that out yet, leaving the Industrial North to itself.  Really, it is the only way left.

Subject: Re: The Breaking Up of America

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/30/10 at 4:31 pm

I have given this some thought and have decided maybe it is time for us to go our own ways.  Forced secession.  I figure the best way to do this is to give Florida back to Cuba, return the Louisiana Purchase to France, the Spanish Territories(Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California, back to Mexico. The rebels (Mississippi, Alabama, The Carolinas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia(West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware can choose like they did the last time), can raise any flag they want. The Oregon Territories go to Canada, Canada can choose if it wants Alaska, if they don't the Alaskans will be able to see Russia from their house, their car, their plane, because they will be in the middle of it as far as the eye can see.  Hawaii, haven't figured that out yet, leaving the Industrial North to itself.  Really, it is the only way left.

Why not return the Lower 48 to the American Indian tribes, Alaska back to the Inuit, and Hawai'i to the Polynesians.  The papers for this transaction can be signed at the King Kamehameha Club.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/30/10 at 4:33 pm

Why not return the Lower 48 to the American Indian tribes, Alaska back to the Inuit, and Hawai'i to the Polynesians.  The papers for this transaction can be signed at the King Kamehameha Club.

Thought of it, but it may be a bigger fight to make them take it. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/10 at 5:26 pm

So if Puerto Rico becomes a state which part gets to claim it?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/10 at 4:52 am

So if Puerto Rico becomes a state which part gets to claim it?

Don't see that happening any time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/10 at 9:39 am

Don't see that happening any time.

Congress wants to take up the issue again.  They've done it a few times before.  I'm guessing it gets bounced when they ask the citizens what they want.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100430/ap_on_go_co/us_congress_puerto_rico

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/02/10 at 5:36 am

How about each state becoming its own country? That is the way it seems since the United States is not really "united". America could also be split between the red states and blue ones.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/02/10 at 5:41 am

How about each state becoming its own country? That is the way it seems since the United States is not really "united". America could also be split between the red states and blue ones.

Yeah, let 'em go.  The reality of world politics makes it a pretty stupid move, but I would bet South Carolina would be dumb enough to think they could make a go of it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/02/10 at 5:50 am

http://darkwaif.lunarpages.com/todd/TSP/funny/stupid/thread_stupid%5B1%5D.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/02/10 at 7:32 am

http://darkwaif.lunarpages.com/todd/TSP/funny/stupid/thread_stupid%5B1%5D.jpg

Super Cat is feline deity on steroids. :o

Written By: Macphisto on 05/02/10 at 6:37 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure Mexico is already taking back California, Arizona, and Texas.  They're just doing it the more affordable way -- assimilation.

Written By: Frank on 05/02/10 at 9:08 pm

You do know this will make it more difficult for Canada, attempting to make USA it's 11th province.
It's all "Shh...Shh..." right now.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/10 at 7:22 pm

After the American Revolution, Ethan Allen wanted Vermont to join Canada!  Vermonters were not happy with the territorial disputes between New York and New Hampshire.  Anyway, maybe Vermont should take another look at old Ethan's idea.  I think Ottawa would say, "No way, eh!"

8)

Written By: McDonald on 05/04/10 at 12:32 am

Being half Texan, I'm  pretty comfortable saying that if the US implodes, Texas would be just fine as its own country. It already has the worldwide reputation befitting a country. It was an independent republic for 10 years before joining, has its own very strong identity and is an economic strong arm. In any case, it wouldn't be going back to Mexico.

Did you know that Texan schoolchildren pledge allegiance to Texas every morning? It's true. Not making it up. Had to do it more than once. 

Honour the Texas Flag.
I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas
One and indivisible.

Written By: McDonald on 05/04/10 at 12:50 am

After the American Revolution, Ethan Allen wanted Vermont to join Canada!  Vermonters were not happy with the territorial disputes between New York and New Hampshire.  Anyway, maybe Vermont should take another look at old Ethan's idea.  I think Ottawa would say, "No way, eh!"

8)

I actually think it might be cool to take in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It would be rough at first. There are profound differences in Canadian and American national identity and political culture (and I'm not talking about left-right) that would have to adjust to one another. However, I think the incorporation of a little of the American attitude towards taking ones country seriously added with the Canadian tradition of not getting too obnoxious about things would end up benefiting Canada as a whole.

Any other state I don't think would really fit in. I respect each state, but I think a lot of them are full of crazy-ass people, and I think we have plenty of our own Canadian whack-jobs. We don't need to throw a place like Michigan into the picture. The three states I mentioned seem very nice, very clean, very polite, economically sound... in a word, Canadian.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/04/10 at 4:28 am

I actually think it might be cool to take in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. It would be rough at first. There are profound differences in Canadian and American national identity and political culture (and I'm not talking about left-right) that would have to adjust to one another. However, I think the incorporation of a little of the American attitude towards taking ones country seriously added with the Canadian tradition of not getting too obnoxious about things would end up benefiting Canada as a whole.

Any other state I don't think would really fit in. I respect each state, but I think a lot of them are full of crazy-ass people, and I think we have plenty of our own Canadian whack-jobs. We don't need to throw a place like Michigan into the picture. The three states I mentioned seem very nice, very clean, very polite, economically sound... in a word, Canadian.

Actually, I had thought that Maine could be ceded to Canada, their is a strong Canadian presence their already. I'm not sure you'd want New Hampshire, though.  They think they are independent but they are very needy and depend on Massachusetts for a lot of the necessities, like jobs and health facilities.  You can have them if you want

Written By: Brian06 on 05/04/10 at 8:09 am

I used to be dead against it, but lately I'm thinking we'd probably be better off without the feds. All they seem to do is take our money and start wars.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/10 at 10:19 am

Actually, I had thought that Maine could be ceded to Canada, their is a strong Canadian presence their already. I'm not sure you'd want New Hampshire, though.  They think they are independent but they are very needy and depend on Massachusetts for a lot of the necessities, like jobs and health facilities.  You can have them if you want

Up north of Winnipesaukee, most of those guys wouldn't mind as long as they could keep their guns.  Southern NH became a tax haven for Massachusetts commuters who wanted the benefits of Massachusetts' economy without paying for its upkeep.  You'd have to do something about the ultra-right Manchester Union-Leader.  Canada might as well be the USSR for the NH righties!  First presidential primary goes to Rhode Island.

I'm thinking of Maine going to New Brunswick and Vermont and New Hampshire ceding to Quebec!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/10 at 12:27 pm

8)

http://www.vermontcanada.org/

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=9543.0

Cat

Written By: Frank on 05/04/10 at 12:32 pm

Up north of Winnipesaukee, most of those guys wouldn't mind as long as they could keep their guns.  Southern NH became a tax haven for Massachusetts commuters who wanted the benefits of Massachusetts' economy without paying for its upkeep.  You'd have to do something about the ultra-right Manchester Union-Leader.  Canada might as well be the USSR for the NH righties!  First presidential primary goes to Rhode Island.

I'm thinking of Maine going to New Brunswick and Vermont and New Hampshire ceding to Quebec!

Quebec is still trying to separate itself from English Canada (or just continuig to be the sqeeky wheel that complains) . The last thing they need is 2 English speaking states (with more "rah rah" passion than the average Canadian) to join them and make their life miserable.   

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/10 at 1:07 pm

So, does this mean that each state gets to take control of all the military installations and hardware that are located inside their borders?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/04/10 at 4:26 pm

So, does this mean that each state gets to take control of all the military installations and hardware that are located inside their borders?

No, they don't become separate sovereign states.

Written By: McDonald on 05/04/10 at 5:10 pm

Quebec is still trying to separate itself from English Canada (or just continuig to be the sqeeky wheel that complains) . The last thing they need is 2 English speaking states (with more "rah rah" passion than the average Canadian) to join them and make their life miserable.   

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/10 at 5:21 pm

The Francophones don't stand a chance.  Even if they got what they say they want, they'd quickly realize they don't really want it!

Maybe the three could be their own province.  Call it Acadia or something.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/04/10 at 5:52 pm

No, they don't become separate sovereign states.

Fine then. You can keep Wall Street and your Ivy League schools. After the Midwestern states form our own compact, not only will we control most of the former US's food and energy supplies but we'll also have the majority of the land-based nuclear arsenal within our borders.

And then you can kiss our asses.  :D

Written By: Frank on 05/05/10 at 12:03 am

The Francophones don't stand a chance.  Even if they got what they say they want, they'd quickly realize they don't really want it!

Exactly.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/05/10 at 5:51 pm

So, Ohio has to fend for itself?

I'd like to see the NW Territory come into play. It may be part of Quebec...like it was before 1763.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/10 at 9:35 pm

So, Ohio has to fend for itself?

I'd like to see the NW Territory come into play. It may be part of Quebec...like it was before 1763.

Ohio and New Hampshire have something in common: Once every four years the rest of the country gives a crap about us!
::)

(I say "us" because I grew up in NH, though I've spent more of my life in Mass.)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/10 at 5:52 am

I love America and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And it would break my heart if we split up.   :\'( :\'( :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzYxqG9N1c

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/10 at 3:15 pm

I love America and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And it would break my heart if we split up.   :\'( :\'( :\'(

;)

Just don't throw a pot of boiling water on us, and we'll be just fine!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/06/10 at 4:18 pm

I love America and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And it would break my heart if we split up.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

;)

O.K....but I am still putting South Carolina on probation, from Preston Brooks down to Joe Wilson with Strom Thurmond in between they really need to clean up their act.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/10 at 4:27 pm

Just don't throw a pot of boiling water on us, and we'll be just fine!

I could never throw boiling water on anyone. On the other hand, if you made me really, really mad and there just happened to be a pan of tuna casserole that had cooled to room temperature nearby, well that might be a different story.   :o

Back on topic though...those of you who are in favor of breaking up the US...have you really thought this through? More importantly, have you ever had to cross the US-Canadian border? Do you know how much of a royal pain that is? Especially when you have to deal with those a-hole US customs agents???

All I can say is that I live in Missouri, my family lives in Nebraska and I really don't want to have some yahoo customs agent from Iowa tear apart my car and shine a flashlight up my behind every time I go back and visit my folks for the weekend.  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/10 at 4:28 pm

O.K....but I am still putting South Carolina on probation, from Preston Brooks down to Joe Wilson with Strom Thurmond in between they really need to clean up their act.

I'm with you on that, Scarolina is pretty goofy.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/10 at 1:05 am

I'm with you on that, Scarolina is pretty goofy.  :P

I like "Scarolina."  That's good!
;D

Written By: Macphisto on 05/08/10 at 1:07 am

Yep, South Carolina sucks pretty hard.

As a state, South Carolina is the 3rd most dangerous concerning overall crime.

It's a poverty/redneck hellhole.

Amazingly, Nevada and Louisiana are even worse.  Although I guess Louisiana isn't that surprising.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/08/10 at 1:10 am

Yep, South Carolina sucks pretty hard.

As a state, South Carolina is the 3rd most dangerous concerning overall crime.

It's a poverty/redneck hellhole.

I've never been there, actually.  I've only flown over it en route to Florida, which is also a poverty/redneck hellhole once you leave the areas for retirees and vacationers.
:o

Written By: Macphisto on 05/08/10 at 1:15 am

I've never been there, actually.  I've only flown over it en route to Florida, which is also a poverty/redneck hellhole once you leave the areas for retirees and vacationers.

True...  and frankly, a lot of my state (NC) is pretty crappy.  We've got a combination of urban trash (Durham) and redneck trash (a lot of rural NC).  Granted, we do have some culture as well....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/10 at 12:08 am

Concerning the Southwest, I think a lot of the problems might be coming from the immigrants- not just Mexican but American as well. After all, there probably has been more American immigration and Anglization than Hispanic. But to a newcomer from back east, particularly older generations, any other cultural influence is going to be dramatic. In other words take a white sheet of paper and dab a spot of black ink in the middle of it. There may be a lot more white paper, but you're going to notice the ink blot a lot more. Thus to the average newcomer any significant concentration of Hispanic influence will seem like an invasion. Yet to the Hispanic peoples, they see the southwest being invaded by waves of Americans.

Yet for us who were born and raised in the southwest with families goes back a few generations, it's not much of an issue. The mixing of the cultures is what makes living in the southwest unique. Of course there are real concerns with the criminal element as well as those who push for an official retake by Mexico. But Phoenix is not Boston nor is it Mexico City. 

But Boston has the Boston Phoenix.  Free and worth it!

Written By: Mushroom on 05/12/10 at 6:46 am

Would never happen, because no states are really self-sufficient.  And with most of the states land-locked, they would be totally dependent on others for any trade in or out.

And some of the others would have totally unfair advantage.  One of the reasons for the Civil War was the disparity of power between Northern Industrial states and poorer Agrarian ones.  But today, a state like Idaho (which exports electricity to other states like California), with it's exports of food and electricity, would be able to charge states like California whatever it wanted for power (anybody else remember Enron?).

And remember, most states bounce back and forth on elections.  They even frequently split their local and Federal officials between party lines (look at Idaho, which frequently has Democrat Governors, but Republican Congressmen). 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/10 at 9:16 am

Would never happen, because no states are really self-sufficient.  And with most of the states land-locked, they would be totally dependent on others for any trade in or out.

And some of the others would have totally unfair advantage.  One of the reasons for the Civil War was the disparity of power between Northern Industrial states and poorer Agrarian ones.  But today, a state like Idaho (which exports electricity to other states like California), with it's exports of food and electricity, would be able to charge states like California whatever it wanted for power (anybody else remember Enron?).

And remember, most states bounce back and forth on elections.  They even frequently split their local and Federal officials between party lines (look at Idaho, which frequently has Democrat Governors, but Republican Congressmen). 

America will break up in the future, though none of us will live to see it.  I hope not.  When it does break up, it won't be by design, but by disaster.  Bunch of feuding, poverty-stricken conglomerations of territories, families divided from region to region, famine in the Northeast, Mexico invading the Southwest, corrupt incompetents in D.C. stealing the leftovers...well, those last two things are kinda here already!

Written By: Mushroom on 05/12/10 at 4:14 pm

America will break up in the future, though none of us will live to see it.  I hope not.  When it does break up, it won't be by design, but by disaster.  Bunch of feuding, poverty-stricken conglomerations of territories, families divided from region to region, famine in the Northeast, Mexico invading the Southwest, corrupt incompetents in D.C. stealing the leftovers...well, those last two things are kinda here already!

That may be, but I am still putting my money on natural disaster on being the end of things as we know it.  There are several that are overdue actually.

Written By: McDonald on 05/16/10 at 9:55 pm

In the case of Canada, I hope that we don't berak up. It would be a heartbreaking event in the lives of many Canadians including myself.

At the same time, those in Quebec who believed so strongly in an independent country felt that same crushing heartbreak twice, in 1980 and in 1995. You put all your heart, soul and hopes into a project that you see crumble before your eyes, and you're so helpless that all you can muster the energy to do is weep. We saw it quite a bit in the days and weeks following the 1995 referendum in particular. There were lots of people who were very despondent and melancholic for a while after that. I hope I never have to feel what they felt. I don't want to have to choose between Québec and Canada, which is why I hope we can come to a new constitutional agreement.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/16/10 at 10:15 pm

In the case of Canada, I hope that we don't berak up. It would be a heartbreaking event in the lives of many Canadians including myself.

At the same time, those in Quebec who believed so strongly in an independent country felt that same crushing heartbreak twice, in 1980 and in 1995. You put all your heart, soul and hopes into a project that you see crumble before your eyes, and you're so helpless that all you can muster the energy to do is weep. We saw it quite a bit in the days and weeks following the 1995 referendum in particular. There were lots of people who were very despondent and melancholic for a while after that. I hope I never have to feel what they felt. I don't want to have to choose between Québec and Canada, which is why I hope we can come to a new constitutional agreement.

Well, in all honesty, the rest of Canada would come out financially ahead if they gave Quebec its independence.  The same could be said if the U.S. gave the Deep South its independence.

Written By: McDonald on 05/20/10 at 7:15 pm

Well, in all honesty, the rest of Canada would come out financially ahead if they gave Quebec its independence.  The same could be said if the U.S. gave the Deep South its independence.

The rest of Canada would have given and still would give Quebec its independence if the province opted for it. However, the majority of Quebeckers have always rejected it.

Written By: Frank on 05/20/10 at 10:41 pm

The rest of Canada would have given and still would give Quebec its independence if the province opted for it. However, the majority of Quebeckers have always rejected it.

The vote in the early 90s (1993 I think) was quite close. Then Parizeau (Quebec leader) blamed that they lost because of the immigrant vote....Oh boy.

Check for new replies or respond here...