» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: LDS apostle under fire for equating Prop 8 backlash and civil-rights struggle

Written By: SemperYoda on 10/14/09 at 4:01 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13552589?source=rv

Subject: Re: LDS apostle under fire for equating Prop 8 backlash and civil-rights struggle

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/14/09 at 4:51 pm

It may not be as violent as the Civil-Rights movement was however it could very easily get that way.  The gay-rights movement as a blatant force is relatively new so reactions to it are still being formed.  I hear blacks saying that it's not because the Civil Rights movement is a source of pride.  I'm puzzled why some of the people who know of struggle have no sympathy for the gay-rights movement.  They'd prefer to deny people rights instead of being of assistance.  As for the Mormons, this is the result of reality kicking in.

Subject: Re: LDS apostle under fire for equating Prop 8 backlash and civil-rights struggl

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/14/09 at 8:47 pm

Actually, the transcript of the speech isn't that bad.  He even makes the correct observation that the handful of jackasses vandalizing Mormon temples in the aftermath of Prop 8 weren't being anti-religion, they were being anti-democratic

But that's buried in the fine print.  The bottom line is that the religionists' position on the issue is one of doublethink, most clearly illustrated in the following paragraph:

"The greatest infringements of religious freedom occur when the exercise of religion collides with other powerful forces in society. Among the most threatening collisions in the United States today are (1) the rising strength of those who seek to silence religious voices in public debates, and (2) perceived conflicts between religious freedom and the popular appeal of newly alleged civil rights."
  - Dallin H. Oaks, completely missing the point and contradicting himself, all in one swell foop.

Sorry, Mr. Oaks, the only way that gay marriage affects his right to exercise his religion is he somehow chooses to marry a dude, or if Prop. 8 would have required (by law) churches to preside over such marriage ceremonies.  The latter wasn't part of the proposition voted on by Californians, and Mr. Oaks' hypothetical personal choices in a hypothetical Utah-with-legal-gay-marriage is none of my business.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/115/roflbotv2xu.jpg

You're a dude?  Your religion prohibits gay marriage?  PROTIP: Marry a chick, not a dude.  If you can't figure that out, stop taking so much LDS.  Moderation in all things and all that.

Subject: Re: LDS apostle under fire for equating Prop 8 backlash and civil-rights struggle

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/15/09 at 8:01 pm

It may not be as violent as the Civil-Rights movement was however it could very easily get that way.  The gay-rights movement as a blatant force is relatively new so reactions to it are still being formed.  I hear blacks saying that it's not because the Civil Rights movement is a source of pride.  I'm puzzled why some of the people who know of struggle have no sympathy for the gay-rights movement.  They'd prefer to deny people rights instead of being of assistance.  As for the Mormons, this is the result of reality kicking in.

It already has been close to that violent.  Matthew Shepherd...  Harvey Milk... yeah, there's totally no persecution of gay men by bigots in this country.  I think this guy has selective amnesia.  Just because they died before the Prop 8 law last year doesn't somehow invalidate their deaths.

Subject: Re: LDS apostle under fire for equating Prop 8 backlash and civil-rights struggl

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/09 at 7:18 pm

Actually, the transcript of the speech isn't that bad.  He even makes the correct observation that the handful of jackasses vandalizing Mormon temples in the aftermath of Prop 8 weren't being anti-religion, they were being anti-democratic

But that's buried in the fine print.  The bottom line is that the religionists' position on the issue is one of doublethink, most clearly illustrated in the following paragraph:

"The greatest infringements of religious freedom occur when the exercise of religion collides with other powerful forces in society. Among the most threatening collisions in the United States today are (1) the rising strength of those who seek to silence religious voices in public debates, and (2) perceived conflicts between religious freedom and the popular appeal of newly alleged civil rights."
  - Dallin H. Oaks, completely missing the point and contradicting himself, all in one swell foop.

Sorry, Mr. Oaks, the only way that gay marriage affects his right to exercise his religion is he somehow chooses to marry a dude, or if Prop. 8 would have required (by law) churches to preside over such marriage ceremonies.  The latter wasn't part of the proposition voted on by Californians, and Mr. Oaks' hypothetical personal choices in a hypothetical Utah-with-legal-gay-marriage is none of my business.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/115/roflbotv2xu.jpg

You're a dude?  Your religion prohibits gay marriage?  PROTIP: Marry a chick, not a dude.  If you can't figure that out, stop taking so much LDS.  Moderation in all things and all that.

That was my favorite line from Star Trek IV:

Dr. Taylor: Who is that DITZY guy you hang around with?
Kirk: Oh, he was part of the Free Speech movement at Berkeley in the sixties.  I think he did a little too much LDS.

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...