» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Judge Sonia Sotomayor--too Latina?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/09 at 8:33 pm

Obama's nominee to replace the retiring Justice Souter on the U.S. Supreme Court is Second Circuit federal appeals court Judge Sonia Sotomayor.  From what I've read, she seems politically much like Obama -- a moderate liberal. 

So far the Republicans are trying to tar her as too "empathetic."  Okay...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

The overarching concern among the intellectual elite of the GOP is that Judge Sotomayor might include experiences from living her own life as a woman of Puerto Rican descent in her jurisprudence.  This was exemplified by Sen. James Inhofe's remarks:

Of primary concern to me is whether or not Judge Sotomayor follows the proper role of judges and refrains from legislating from the bench. Some of her recent comments on this matter have given me cause for great concern. In the months ahead, it will be important for those of us in the U.S. Senate to weigh her qualifications and character as well as her ability to rule fairly without undue influence from her own personal race, gender, or political preferences.

So I says to myself, I says, weren't Inhofe and his ilk making a lot of racket about Roberts and Alito ruling too much like CONSERVATIVE WHITE MEN up there in the highest court in the land?

???

(Rachel Maddow was trying to remember the same thing tonight!)

Subject: Re: Judge Sonia Sotomayor--too Latina?

Written By: Jessica on 05/27/09 at 9:10 pm

According to Limbaugh, she's a reverse racist for something she said in a speech years ago.  I would remember what it was, but I try to ignore Limbaugh. :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/09 at 9:31 pm

According to Limbaugh, she's a reverse racist for something she said in a speech years ago.  I would remember what it was, but I try to ignore Limbaugh. :P

I did not hear the Limbaugh thing.  But I do know that she sees no problem whatsoever denying promotions to white policemen when no minorities even passed the test (one of the white policemen was hispanic, in all fairness).

No where in the case history as I recall was the test accused of being rigged or biased against minorities.  Instead she supported throwing out the results simply because only white guys would have been promoted.  She is a quota supporter.  (Man, I really wanted to say "quota queen" but I know that would get me into trouble, so I shall not say that)

That case is now before the SCOTUS.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/27/09 at 10:49 pm

Well, if she's a quota supporter, I definitely have to oppose her appointment.  Affirmative Action is outdated.

Written By: Samwise on 05/28/09 at 7:26 am

The Republicans were gearing up for a fight against whomever Obama selected. If he'd gone with an old white guy, they'd probably call Obama a hypocrite for not going with a woman of color. They're just throwing stuff out there because they don't want a liberal (even a moderate liberal) on the Supreme Court.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/28/09 at 9:45 am

A few repubs have said they would support her (Snow I think was one) so she will be confirmed.  The noise will be about raising $$$.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/09 at 11:50 am

The Republicans were gearing up for a fight against whomever Obama selected. If he'd gone with an old white guy, they'd probably call Obama a hypocrite for not going with a woman of color. They're just throwing stuff out there because they don't want a liberal (even a moderate liberal) on the Supreme Court.

You are so right. The moment David Souter announce his retirement, the Repubs said they would fight him. He could have picked Jay Bybee and the Repubs would have jumped all over him. It didn't matter WHO was his pick. They just want to fight him on EVERYTHING!

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/28/09 at 12:11 pm

I think Republicans are afraid of the stereotypical Latina.  Strong will and opinionated and not easily manipulated.  Right-wingers would love a Harriet Myers on the court. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/09 at 6:29 pm

I think Republicans are afraid of the stereotypical Latina.  Strong will and opinionated and not easily manipulated.  Right-wingers would love a Harriet Myers on the court. 

When they look at Sotomayor the see Lorena Bobbitt!
:P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/09 at 7:37 pm

They shoulda nominated Judge Marilyn Milian from The People's Court.

That Latina don't take cr@p from anybody.  :)

And she's hot too.  :P

;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/29/09 at 9:52 am

I wonder where Sotomayor stands on abortion rights?

Written By: Samwise on 05/29/09 at 4:20 pm

I wonder where Sotomayor stands on abortion rights?

Funny you ask... some people (including me) are actually kind of worried about that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/09 at 5:34 pm

A Roman Catholic Latina woman is not likely to be a staunch defender of abortion in any and all cases.  However, the Supreme Court is not going to overturn Roe v. Wade any time soon.  When push comes to shove, conservatives get too much mileage out of it as a hot button issue.  Furthermore, I don't get the sense Sotomayor would vote in favor of that anyway. 

I don't agree with her opinion that the government should be allowed to use public funds to support anti-abortion rights causes so long as abortion is legal.

I do agree with her support of asylum for Chinese women against coerced abortion. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/09 at 6:51 am

I don't agree with her opinion that the government should be allowed to use public funds to support anti-abortion rights causes so long as abortion is legal.

How come?  The government supports anti-smoking groups even though smoking is legal.  Heck, the Gov even subsidizes tabakky growers too.  Aunt Samantha takes care of all groups in this day and age.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/09 at 1:03 pm

How come?  The government supports anti-smoking groups even though smoking is legal.  Heck, the Gov even subsidizes tabakky growers too.  Aunt Samantha takes care of all groups in this day and age.  ;)

For that matter, the CIA imported cocaine while Nancy Reagan told us '80s kids to "Just Say No"!

Written By: tv on 05/30/09 at 5:22 pm

They shoulda nominated Judge Marilyn Milian from The People's Court.That Latina don't take cr@p from anybody.  :)

And she's hot too.   :P

;D
Yeah I was thinking about Marilyn Milan for the "Supreme Court Nomination" too if Obama wants a latina woman in the supreme court.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/30/09 at 6:07 pm

For that matter, the CIA imported cocaine while Nancy Reagan told us '80s kids to "Just Say No"!

Good points by both of you.  To me, this just shows that the government should avoid participating in social agendas.

If people want to smoke or have an abortion, the government should stay out of it -- both in regulation and in propagandizing.

Admittedly, I do still support DARE and sex education, because DARE seems to be a mostly positive influence on keeping kids away from drugs, and sex education (with easy access to contraceptives) results in less teen pregnancy and lessens the spread of VDs.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/31/09 at 8:59 am

I did not hear the Limbaugh thing.  But I do know that she sees no problem whatsoever denying promotions to white policemen when no minorities even passed the test (one of the white policemen was hispanic, in all fairness).

That happened here in Boston.  Of course it was discovered that the white policemen had been given the answers to the tests.  The Boston police department being the family business that it is, the white test takers, and the test givers turned out to be related all.  The retest by the feds brought about a different conclusion.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 9:22 am

That happened here in Boston.  Of course it was discovered that the white policemen had been given the answers to the tests.  The Boston police department being the family business that it is, the white test takers, and the test givers turned out to be related all.  The retest by the feds brought about a different conclusion.

Yeah, but I did not hear anything about a retest in the Sotomayor ruling.

Did they do a retest?  Or was it assumed that the "majority" guys would still have the highest scores?

Written By: loki 13 on 05/31/09 at 10:15 am

This seems more of a family scandal, uncles giving answers to nephews is nepotism not racism, to make it a racial issue is ludicrous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/31/09 at 12:16 pm

Boston has a little police department in its corruption.
::)

This seems more of a family scandal, uncles giving answers to nephews is nepotism not racism, to make it a racial issue is ludicrous.

No racism among Boston cops, noooo suh!

Written By: loki 13 on 05/31/09 at 12:45 pm

At no point did I say there were no racist amongst the Boston Police department. I was referring to the incident mentioned,
in that incident it was a case of nepotism not racism. Not every act of corruption has racial motivation even though a racist may
be behind the action.

Written By: Macphisto on 05/31/09 at 1:59 pm

Boston has a little police department in its corruption.

As racist as you guys imply Boston is, I don't see why you choose to continue living there.  If I believed my hometown was that racist, I would've left Greensboro by now.

In all seriousness, are there any perks to living in Boston?  So far, I haven't really seen any.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/09 at 1:11 am

As racist as you guys imply Boston is, I don't see why you choose to continue living there.  If I believed my hometown was that racist, I would've left Greensboro by now.

In all seriousness, are there any perks to living in Boston?  So far, I haven't really seen any.

I don't live in Boston.  Massachusetts does not equal Boston just like New York City does not equal New York state.  I live 90 miles west of Boston.  I used to live in Boston and near Boston.  I was born there and I've had ancestors there since the 1600s.  To suggest one shouldn't choose to live in a given city if you don't like the racism in that city is a bit prespammersite when you think about it.  Name a major city in America where there's no racism.  Can you?  I can't.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

You live Greensboro, NC?  There's no racism there?  Really?  There was at one point.  In fact it was a rather notorious incident 30 years ago, The Greensboro Massacre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre
But, I imagine there's nothing like that in Greensboro today....

If you're interested in the "perks" of living in Boston, I'm sure you can do a bit of research for yourself!

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/09 at 3:09 pm

Then you haven't been to Boston

Written By: danootaandme on 06/01/09 at 3:15 pm

I live outside of Boston, but even if I did live in Boston why should I leave?  Being African American would only mean changing one form of racism for another because, bottom line, there really isn't any escaping it.  So the best one can do is stay and make changes, it has gotten much better in the past 25 years or so.  I truly wouldn't want to live anywhere but Massachusetts.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/01/09 at 7:53 pm

I don't live in Boston.  Massachusetts does not equal Boston just like New York City does not equal New York state.  I live 90 miles west of Boston.  I used to live in Boston and near Boston.  I was born there and I've had ancestors there since the 1600s.  To suggest one shouldn't choose to live in a given city if you don't like the racism in that city is a bit prespammersite when you think about it.  Name a major city in America where there's no racism.  Can you?  I can't.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

You live Greensboro, NC?  There's no racism there?  Really?  There was at one point.  In fact it was a rather notorious incident 30 years ago, The Greensboro Massacre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre
But, I imagine there's nothing like that in Greensboro today....

If you're interested in the "perks" of living in Boston, I'm sure you can do a bit of research for yourself!

Touchy, touchy...

Yeah, but as you said, that was 30 years ago...  That stuff doesn't happen here now.

Still, to say that your cops are racist, that's a lot worse than just normal racism.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/01/09 at 7:54 pm

I live outside of Boston, but even if I did live in Boston why should I leave?  Being African American would only mean changing one form of racism for another because, bottom line, there really isn't any escaping it.  So the best one can do is stay and make changes, it has gotten much better in the past 25 years or so.  I truly wouldn't want to live anywhere but Massachusetts.

Well, I suppose if racism is behind every corner, that must be rather depressing.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/09 at 5:33 am

Well, I suppose if racism is behind every corner, that must be rather depressing.

Not really, it isn't like you walk around looking over your shoulder and stuff.  It pops up, you deal with it.  Most people are ok on a daily basis, but there is an ugly side that tends to rear its head. 

Written By: Jessica on 07/14/09 at 10:13 pm

The GOP can't handle the Latina hotness!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/09 at 10:18 pm

bump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-YyG2a_rg

Written By: Jessica on 07/14/09 at 10:22 pm

bump

You removed your post!  Now mine doesn't make any sense! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/09 at 10:56 pm

You removed your post!  Now mine doesn't make any sense! :D

Ay-yi-yi!  I need to ask some technical questions....

Written By: Jessica on 07/14/09 at 10:57 pm

Ay-yi-yi!  I need to ask some technical questions....

It's cool.  I think it worked out now. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 12:30 am

It's cool.  I think it worked out now. :D

I wanted to embed the damn video, but it wouldn't work.  Dammmmn!

Written By: Jessica on 07/15/09 at 12:50 am

I wanted to embed the damn video, but it wouldn't work.  Dammmmn!

I don't think you can embed videos on this board, but you might have to confirm that with Chucky.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 9:28 am

Jeez, the fact that she hasn't given so much as a heavy sigh and rolled her eyes at some of this crap makes her a good candidate for the job.  I would have had to throw in at least a couple of real sarcastic quips.  She is getting the confirmation, why doesn't the Repubs just say to the hardliners "okay, we have asked the same questions over and over, time to wrap it up and take the vote."

Written By: Tia on 07/15/09 at 9:32 am

Jeez, the fact that she hasn't given so much as a heavy sigh and rolled her eyes at some of this crap makes her a good candidate for the job.  I would have had to throw in at least a couple of real sarcastic quips.  She is getting the confirmation, why doesn't the Repubs just say to the hardliners "okay, we have asked the same questions over and over, time to wrap it up and take the vote."
yeah as far as i could tell they just harped  on that one thing she said about latinos being the master race. if i were her i would have HAD to ask, "dude, do you know anything about any other case i've ruled on? did you do any research at all?" and yeah, that probably would have caused an uproar.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/09 at 9:40 am

If a white guy had said "being a white guy means that I will make better decisions than a colored person" the entire Democratic Party (and rightfully so) would ewant his head on a pike.  Sotomayor essentially says the same thing from a Latina viewpoint and it's not so bad and anybody who calls her out on it is thought to be a neandrethal.

My thought... she is probably lot a bad judge, but she has to control her mouth.  She was appointed by Bush I to a federal bench slot, so she must not be a raving lunatic.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/09 at 9:47 am

As racist as you guys imply Boston is, I don't see why you choose to continue living there.  If I believed my hometown was that racist, I would've left Greensboro by now.

Mybe there is a new Top 10 hit in this somewhere...  Apologies to the original artist  :P

Please come to Boston for the springtime
We'll be burning lots of crosses
And ranting about the Jew
You can point out the gays to the sidewalk
At the restaurant where the illegal immigrants are working too
Please come to Boston
She said no, boy you come home to me

And She said, hey ramblin' boy
Why don't you settle down
Boston ain't your kind of town
There ain't no KKK
No John Birch Society
I'm the number one fan
Of the white supremacist from Tennessee

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 10:06 am

If a white guy had said "being a white guy means that I will make better decisions than a colored person" the entire Democratic Party (and rightfully so) would want his head on a pike. 

That is what they have been kinda saying for the past 250 years, they have just learned to keep their mouths shut, almost.  It is fine, and right,  to ask the question, but how many times is one time too many?(I say, for anyone paying attention, the second time.)

My thought... she is probably lot a bad judge, but she has to control her mouth.  She was appointed by Bush I to a federal bench slot, so she must not be a raving lunatic.

Probably not a bad judge?  Must not be a raving lunatic?  Here is a cut a paste resume.

1979  Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan

1984  Private practice, becoming a partner in 1988 at the firm Pavia and Harcourt. She was a general civil litigator involved in all facets of commercial work including, real estate, employment, banking, contracts, and agency law.

1992  Appointment to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York by President George H.W. Bush. Still in her 30s, she was the youngest member of the court.

1998  President Clinton appointed Judge Sotomayor to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit

more federal judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice in 100 years,

more overall judicial experience than anyone confirmed for the Court in the past 70 years.

It does still hold that to be thought of as 1/2 as good a woman(I would say especially a Latina), has to be twice as good.  She must be spectacular.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 10:18 am

Forgot to mention

Princeton undergrad, summa cum laude, and Phi Beta Kappa. She was a co-recipient of the M. Taylor Pyne Prize, the highest honor Princeton awards to an undergraduate.

Yale Law School,  Editor of the Yale Law Journal and managing editor of the Yale Studies in World Public Order.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/15/09 at 10:34 am

Lets face it, the repugs would have opposed anyone Obama nominated. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/15/09 at 11:57 am

If a white guy had said "being a white guy means that I will make better decisions than a colored person" the entire Democratic Party (and rightfully so) would ewant his head on a pike.  Sotomayor essentially says the same thing from a Latina viewpoint and it's not so bad and anybody who calls her out on it is thought to be a neandrethal.

When she said that she was speaking to a group of Latina women giving them a pep talk of sort.  Her statement should not be an issue.  There is such a thing as separate cultures in America whether people like it or not.  You boast the moral of your own in the name of it's progress.  Get over it . . . every ethnic group in the country engages in it.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/15/09 at 12:54 pm

When she said that she was speaking to a group of Latina women giving them a pep talk of sort.  Her statement should not be an issue.  There is such a thing as separate cultures in America whether people like it or not.  You boast the moral of your own in the name of it's progress.  Get over it . . . every ethnic group in the country engages in it.

Except now when white people try to boost the morale of other white people by giving the same sort of pep talk and using the same sort of language, those white people are called rascist.

Written By: Tia on 07/15/09 at 1:02 pm

Except now when white people try to boost the morale of other white people by giving the same sort of pep talk and using the same sort of language, those white people are called rascist.
... and, of course, since white people were enslaved by minrities for hundreds of years, discriminated against for a couple hundred more, still don't make as much money as their minority counterparts for the same work, and are often assumed to be in the country illegally simylf because of their ethnicity, you can see why thay would be in need of a pep talk.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/15/09 at 1:36 pm

There's a difference though.  White people have "made it" in American society.  They are established.  The Latino population is relatively new and is not established.  Some would say that with the election of Obama as president the African American population is now established.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 07/15/09 at 4:11 pm

There's a difference though.  White people have "made it" in American society.  They are established.  The Latino population is relatively new and is not established.  Some would say that with the election of Obama as president the African American population is now established.

And yet blacks are still able to get away with more than white people  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/15/09 at 4:21 pm

And yet blacks are still able to get away with more than white people  ::)

???

Written By: Jessica on 07/15/09 at 4:28 pm

???

I'll second that and raise you a, "Huh?"

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 4:47 pm

Do you understand the issue of power.  Who has it, the the ways in which they are able to apply it,  and the implicit threat in that ability?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 5:38 pm

If a white guy had said "being a white guy means that I will make better decisions than a colored person" the entire Democratic Party (and rightfully so) would ewant his head on a pike.  Sotomayor essentially says the same thing from a Latina viewpoint and it's not so bad and anybody who calls her out on it is thought to be a neandrethal.

My thought... she is probably lot a bad judge, but she has to control her mouth.  She was appointed by Bush I to a federal bench slot, so she must not be a raving lunatic.

Yeah, especially the "colored person" part.  That would go over like a lead balloon!  Well, maybe not at Jeff Sessions' dinner parties, but in polite society...
:D

Sotomayor also said she "hoped" a wise Latina woman would make a better decision, she wasn't saying it was inherently so by dint of ethnicity.  

Bill O'Reilly asked in a menacing tone, "Should white people be worried?"

Are we that candyass?  You've got a chief justice up there, Roberts, who is a staunchly conservative white guy, and so are Scalia and Alito.  Clarence Thomas is every conservative white guy's favorite black guy.  Kennedy is a centrist.  Breyer, another white guy, is moderately liberal, as is Bader-Ginsberg, a Jewish woman.  Aside from two remarks and one opinion candyass white guys don't like, Sotomayor is another moderate liberal.  The balance on the U.S. Supreme Court in favor of conservatives is not in jeopardy.  

I'm just sick of this whining from the likes of Sessions and Graham.  I know they're going to put up their futile objections, but they act like Sotomayor is a threat to the persecuted white majority!

Wimps.

Out of 110 justices who have ever served on the U.S. Supreme Court, 106 have been white men.  I don't even think they've got a credible gripe here.

And another thing...Sessions made that smug remark about how if he said that if he, as a white guy, would make a better decision than a Latina woman, it would be the end of his career.

If Sessions was a Latina woman, I gotta wonder if he would have gotten the gig as Alabama AG back in '95 in the first place, let alone elected Senator 18 months later.  I mean, I know them south'n pawl-uh-ticians have always been overly-concerned with racial equality, but...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/09 at 5:50 pm

I would like to know what is wrong with being a wise Latina? My mother-in-law (whom I have never met  :\'( ) I am sure was one as well as my sister-in-law.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 5:54 pm

YOU GO MAX 

Sadly, most, if not all of that will not be understood by those unable to grasp the concept.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/09 at 5:55 pm

I would like to know what is wrong with being a wise Latina? My mother-in-law (whom I have never met  :\'( ) I am sure was one as well as my sister-in-law.

Cat

Nothings wrong with it.  Like Max said, it is just those candy ass wimps looking for something to cry about.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 6:29 pm

YOU GO MAX 

Sadly, most, if not all of that will not be understood by those unable to grasp the concept.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif

Gimme a day as chief justice--and a fifth of rotgut--and those guys will be hiding behind Sotomayor's skirts!
;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/15/09 at 6:44 pm

Cat

As is my grandmother.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/15/09 at 6:48 pm

As is my grandmother.

Nobody f**ks with Grandma Perez!

Written By: Macphisto on 07/15/09 at 7:56 pm

As much as you guys want to make this a race issue, it's not.

It's about class.  If you're poor, you haven't "made" it.  If you're rich, it doesn't matter what race you are, you've "made" it.

This is why affirmative action should be about class, not race.  Good luck getting the NAACP to admit it though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/09 at 10:44 pm

It's about class.  If you're poor, you haven't "made" it.  If you're rich, it doesn't matter what race you are, you've "made" it.

This is why affirmative action should be about class, not race.  Good luck getting the NAACP to admit it though.

I'm not going to address "making it" in this thread.

Judge Sotomayor alluded to herself as a "wise Latina woman" in a speech eight years ago, and a bunch of right-wing white guys went fogging nots about it last month...I dunno who's making it a race issue, but there it is!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/16/09 at 11:25 am

It's about class.  If you're poor, you haven't "made" it.  If you're rich, it doesn't matter what race you are, you've "made" it.

This is why affirmative action should be about class, not race.  Good luck getting the NAACP to admit it though.

There's an old "joke", probably still true - What do they call a black millionaire in Mississippi? You all know the answer.  It IS about race And class.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/09 at 5:14 pm

There's an old "joke", probably still true - What do they call a black millionaire in Mississippi? You all know the answer.  It IS about race And class.

Morgan Freeman? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/09 at 5:17 pm

Lets face it, the repugs would have opposed anyone Obama nominated.  

You mean like all the Federal court nominations made by the Bush Administration that the Democrats filibustered or declined to take action on in committee?

Or how the word "Bork" became a verb?

Or the "high tech lynching"?

Door swing sboth ways on people objecting to judicial nominations...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/16/09 at 5:18 pm

I read today that they're not going to filibuster this one, not that they could anyway...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/09 at 6:45 pm

You mean like all the Federal court nominations made by the Bush Administration that the Democrats filibustered or declined to take action on in committee?

Or how the word "Bork" became a verb?

Or the "high tech lynching"?

Door swing sboth ways on people objecting to judicial nominations...

And guess which way it's swinging today!

There was bitterness in those senators' voices, honest-to-god bitterness!
8)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/17/09 at 10:29 am

Morgan Freeman? ???

No, NBoy

Written By: Tia on 07/17/09 at 10:36 am

No, NBoy
well that's not a very funny joke!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/09 at 1:28 pm

It's one of those jokes that's not supposed to be very funny.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry2.gif

It strikes me that what the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee were doing was nothing more than grandstanding for their right-wing base.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/17/09 at 10:42 pm

I'm not going to address "making it" in this thread.

Judge Sotomayor alluded to herself as a "wise Latina woman" in a speech eight years ago, and a bunch of right-wing white guys went fogging nots about it last month...I dunno who's making it a race issue, but there it is!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Well then, if you can see the ridiculousness of it coming from the Right, you should be able to see it from the Left too.  I know I can.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/17/09 at 10:43 pm

Prove it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/18/09 at 10:19 am

No, but it is a reflection of reality.

An anthropologist named Marvin Harris did an experiment many years ago in Brazil with a large collection of photos of people of different skin color each dressed in three different outfits indicating wealth.  He shuffled them up and showed them to another group of people, asking them to identify the race of each person using Brazil's racial vocabulary, which contains about 20 categories (cafe negro, blanco, mulatto etc).  The racial identities followed closely the perception of wealth.  The same experiment in the US yielded no such result.

Prove it.

Prove what?  That racial identity in the US has nothing to do with wealth?  That the US is still a fundamentally racist society?  You consistently reject racism as a factor in social outcomes and refer to class as the determinant.  I agree that class in important - very important - the children of poor white families don't have the same chances as those of better off white families.  I'm just saying that race adds to the disadvantage of minorities.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/18/09 at 1:43 pm

Prove what?  That racial identity in the US has nothing to do with wealth?  That the US is still a fundamentally racist society?  You consistently reject racism as a factor in social outcomes and refer to class as the determinant.  I agree that class in important - very important - the children of poor white families don't have the same chances as those of better off white families.  I'm just saying that race adds to the disadvantage of minorities.

But if you're rich and black, race doesn't matter.  A poor white person and a poor black person are in the same boat.  Therefore, class is most relevant, not race.

Written By: tv on 07/18/09 at 6:06 pm

Well I read in the Newark(NJ)Star Ledger today that 3 republicans will vote for Sotomayor. Those Republicans include Mel Martinez, Richard Lugar, and I can't think of the other Republican off hand. Lindsey Graham and John Conyers thought Sotomayor came off in her testimony to the Senate as "mainstream". Mitch McConell the Republican Minority Senate Leader is totally opposed to her nomination and will hold a speech of some sort on Monday.

Republican turned Democrat Arlen Spector will vote for Sotomayor.

Even Newt Gingrich has cut Sotomayor some slack after calling her a racist and than later taking the comment back. Gingrich said something like it will take 5 years too know if Sotomayor is gonna be the type of judge that she testified too in the hearings or a Judicial activist. Gingrich said something to that effect.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/09 at 9:54 pm

Well I read in the Newark(NJ)Star Ledger today that 3 republicans will vote for Sotomayor. Those Republicans include Mel Martinez, Richard Lugar, and I can't think of the other Republican off hand. Lindsey Graham and John Conyers thought Sotomayor came off in her testimony to the Senate as "mainstream". Mitch McConell the Republican Minority Senate Leader is totally opposed to her nomination and will hold a speech of some sort on Monday.

Republican turned Democrat Arlen Spector will vote for Sotomayor.

Even Newt Gingrich has cut Sotomayor some slack after calling her a racist and than later taking the comment back. Gingrich said something like it will take 5 years too know if Sotomayor is gonna be the type of judge that she testified too in the hearings or a Judicial activist. Gingrich said something to that effect.

Judicial activist = judge I disagree with.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 2:08 am

Sad but true.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/19/09 at 11:10 am

But if you're rich and black, race doesn't matter.  A poor white person and a poor black person are in the same boat.  Therefore, class is most relevant, not race.

Rich and black, black still matters.  Poor whites and poor blacks ARE NOT in the same boat. just ask any poor black.  Ask Danoota or Snoz.  Denny's discriminates against latinos on a regular basis.  You just don;'t get it man.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/19/09 at 11:45 am

Rich and black, black still matters.  Poor whites and poor blacks ARE NOT in the same boat. just ask any poor black.  Ask Danoota or Snoz.  Denny's discriminates against latinos on a regular basis.  You just don;'t get it man.

Poor white folk will be offered a job faster than poor black folk.  Denny's want to keep that all American mentality.  Wonder if they're aware that the "All American" is now becoming a minority?

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 11:48 am

Rich and black, black still matters.

With a half-black president who is often perceived as being just black, I find that extremely difficult to believe.

Poor whites and poor blacks ARE NOT in the same boat. just ask any poor black.  Ask Danoota or Snoz.  Denny's discriminates against latinos on a regular basis.  You just don;'t get it man.

I do get it.  I get the fact that no amount of governmental attempts to equalize things is going to satisfy some people.  I get the fact that some people will only be happy if their race or culture is the predominant one.  I get the fact that some people have a self-loathing for being white.

The difference is I don't have any of these things.  I judge people as individuals.  I have certain prejudices like anyone else, but I honestly try to look at people in an equal way.  This is why I simplify helping people down to financial issues.  Ultimately, money is the great equalizer.  Helping the poor regardless of race is what MLK worked toward, even.

But the only way we're going to have any unity on class matters is if we stop trying to play the victim card.  Yes, blacks were treated unfairly not that long ago.  Yes, they still have to deal with prejudice today.  Yes, Hispanics and other minorities deal with it too.  But if we continue to have systems based on favoring races, any hope of actually perceiving people as equals is lost.

It's natural to wonder if someone rises to a position because of his/her race rather than his/her ability when quotas are used.  It's natural to wonder if someone is admitted to a college because of his/her race when scholarships are given out simply in connection to race.  And it's not fair to those minorities that have earned their way into these positions and schools when these perceptions are common, but these perceptions would be a lot less common in the first place if we didn't have quotas or race-based scholarships.

We see similar things with the advancement of women in police forces.  Some areas have put into place or pushed for laws that force a certain gender percentage among law enforcement management.  The end result of these systems is that women advance much faster in the ranks regardless of whether they are more qualified than some of their male coworkers.  So again, this creates a perception that women in law enforcement management are there just because of quotas.  It's not fair to those that actually have earned these positions, but again, this would be a much rarer perception if no system was in place based on gender.

So, in general, many of the liberal attempts at forcing "equality" on our systems with regard to gender and race simply have the opposite effect in public perceptions and often degrade the quality of leadership and standards.

If you want a colorblind society, you have to start with a colorblind system.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 11:56 am

Poor white folk will be offered a job faster than poor black folk.  Denny's want to keep that all American mentality.  Wonder if they're aware that the "All American" is now becoming a minority?

Maybe where you live, it works like that, but not here.  Most of the workers at the fast food places here are minorities.  Every once in a while, you see a white person, but it's not often.  A lot of the restaurants I frequent are pretty evenly spread among whites and blacks -- even in management.

By the way, we actually have a CVS down the street with an all black workforce.  The management is black as well.  Something tells me that more than just black people applied for the jobs there, but they only hired black people.  So, it's not like other races don't engage in the same behavior.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is that some people truly are racists and that no amount of legislation will change that.  As time goes by, attitudes toward race mostly become more egalitarian in urban areas.  Rural areas often retain more prejudices, but as our population becomes more urbanized, people become more open about race.

Yet pockets of racism aren't going to be erased by forcing quotas.  You might hide the racism better that way, but it's not really solving anything.  If it does affect any change, it might actually be the opposite effect as I mentioned in my previous post.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/09 at 12:08 pm

Well you SHOULD disagree with a judicial activist.

A judge's job is to apply the law, without passion or prejudice.  And regardless of whether their opinion is for or against the law.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 12:11 pm

Well you SHOULD disagree with a judicial activist.

A judge's job is to apply the law, without passion or prejudice.  And regardless of whether their opinion is for or against the law.

In principle, yes.  However, the Right has judicial activists just like the Left.

Constitutionalism is often a term used to mask the conservative form of judicial activism.

Ultimately, what Justices do is apply their own opinions of constitutional law to the situations they are charged with ruling on.  So, inevitably, "activism" comes into play, as everyone has their own sympathies.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/09 at 12:24 pm

Well from LyricBoy's perspective, being a good Roamin' Catholic boy, the makeup of the SCOTUS will be:

-Roamin' Catholic: 6 (Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, Scalia, Alito, Sotomayor)
-Jewish (Ginzburg, Breyer)
-Protestant (Stevens, can't find out which flavor of protestantism he is)

As recently as 1985 there was only one Catholic on the court.  So we're making proogress!

I am surprised that there have not been protests on putting the Nation's highest court in the hands of a bunch of Catholics, especially since the core of its conservative bloc is all Catholic.

Where are all the "diversity advocates" when it comes to ensuring a "diverse" SCOTUS? ???

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 12:27 pm

Well from LyricBoy's perspective, being a good Roamin' Catholic boy, the makeup of the SCOTUS will be:

-Roamin' Catholic: 6 (Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, Scalia, Alito, Sotomayor)
-Jewish (Ginzburg, Breyer)
-Protestant (Stevens, can't find out which flavor of protestantism he is)

As recently as 1985 there was only one Catholic on the court.  So we're making proogress!

I am surprised that there have not been protests on putting the Nation's highest court in the hands of a bunch of Catholics, especially since the core of its conservative bloc is all Catholic.

Where are all the "diversity advocates" when it comes to ensuring a "diverse" SCOTUS? ???

Despite the Catholic Church's monolithic hierarchy, Catholics as individuals are pretty diverse in mindset.

If nothing else, diversity in legal perspectives is the most relevant to the Supreme Court.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/09 at 4:11 pm

Despite the Catholic Church's monolithic hierarchy, Catholics as individuals are pretty diverse in mindset.

If nothing else, diversity in legal perspectives is the most relevant to the Supreme Court.

That's not what I have been hearing.  It has been more of "we need another black", "we need another woman", "we need another hispanic".

I guess that the magical elixir of "diversity" does not extend to religion...  Catholic Supreme Court Justices are the new "Grey haired male WASP"...

Written By: Macphisto on 07/19/09 at 4:43 pm

That's not what I have been hearing.  It has been more of "we need another black", "we need another woman", "we need another hispanic".

I guess that the magical elixir of "diversity" does not extend to religion...  Catholic Supreme Court Justices are the new "Grey haired male WASP"...

Yeah, unfortunately, the same people who tell us race and gender don't matter are the same ones who push for more "diversity."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/09 at 12:02 am

Rush Limbaugh said he could support her....if she was pro-life!

Written By: Tia on 07/20/09 at 10:40 am

wasn't it jed -- i mean jeff --- sessions who said he liked the KKK until he learned they smoke pot?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/20/09 at 11:41 am

Rush Limbaugh said he could support her....if she was pro-life!

Not that he believes in litmus tests or anything like that.    ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/20/09 at 4:39 pm

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everyone had equal opportunities, maybe the quota system will become obsolete then.
For now when it comes to politics we do need "more women", "more blacks", "more hispanics", we need to see ourselves up there, truly identify with someone we voted for.
Why are there so few women in politics? Are women less interested in it or is it 'cause this society doesn't give them a fair chance to get there? We can pretend all we want but the truth is when it comes to politics women and minorities are handicapped from the start.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/09 at 5:32 pm

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everyone had equal opportunities, maybe the quota system will become obsolete then.
For now when it comes to politics we do need "more women", "more blacks", "more hispanics", we need to see ourselves up there, truly identify with someone we voted for.
Why are there so few women in politics? Are women less interested in it or is it 'cause this society doesn't give them a fair chance to get there? We can pretend all we want but the truth is when it comes to politics women and minorities are handicapped from the start.

Appears that we need more Catholics too...

Written By: Macphisto on 07/20/09 at 5:54 pm

But if race and gender don't matter, then why do you need women and people of your own race to "identify" with in the Court?  It sounds like race and gender really do matter afterall.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/09 at 8:14 pm

wasn't it jed -- i mean jeff --- sessions who said he liked the KKK until he learned they smoke pot?

Burn spliffs not crosses!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

You can just bet Newt Gingrich smokes grass too!

Written By: thereshegoes on 07/21/09 at 10:58 am

But if race and gender don't matter, then why do you need women and people of your own race to "identify" with in the Court?  It sounds like race and gender really do matter afterall.

Ah trying to twist it,are we?

What matters is that politicians should be a large spectrum of society. It doesn't bother me that most of the members of the danish government are blond, tall and gorgeous, EVERYONE on that damn country looks like that.

But in the great USA where everywhere you turn you see whites,blacks,latinos and asians. Where women are more than 51% of the population, it is weird that we only see waspies up there.
I'm not saying race or gender should be first when it comes to get any kind of job but i believe there is excellence that is overlooked because of gender and race.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/21/09 at 7:07 pm

Ah trying to twist it,are we?

What matters is that politicians should be a large spectrum of society. It doesn't bother me that most of the members of the danish government are blond, tall and gorgeous, EVERYONE on that damn country looks like that.

But in the great USA where everywhere you turn you see whites,blacks,latinos and asians. Where women are more than 51% of the population, it is weird that we only see waspies up there.
I'm not saying race or gender should be first when it comes to get any kind of job but i believe there is excellence that is overlooked because of gender and race.

Well, said excellence isn't promoted through quotas.  Just because you put a minority in a position of power doesn't mean they are the most qualified of their group or the most qualified of the candidates.

I would argue the main reason why it's so WASPy is because they have lifetime appointments.  If we switched Justices to having...  I don't know...  rotating 13 year terms, then you'd eventually see a more racially diverse Court via meritocratic methods rather than quotas.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/09 at 7:45 am

I would argue the main reason why it's so WASPy is because they have lifetime appointments.  If we switched Justices to having...  I don't know...  rotating 13 year terms, then you'd eventually see a more racially diverse Court via meritocratic methods rather than quotas.

The cynic in me says not without a.....quota.  People say quota like it is a bad word.  Not me.  We have had 250 years of quotas used to exclude.  Using quotas to include is not a bad thing.

Written By: tv on 07/23/09 at 1:48 pm

Lindsey Graham will vote for Sotomayor to be on the Supreme Court. This is not a prank Graham is going to vote for Sotomayor.

As for quotas and all that on CNN I heard Obama wanted a woman to be on the bench not specifically a "Latina".

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/09 at 3:01 pm

Lindsey Graham will vote for Sotomayor to be on the Supreme Court. This is not a prank Graham is going to vote for Sotomayor.

As for quotas and all that on CNN I heard Obama wanted a woman to be on the bench not specifically a "Latina".

Well if we were to go with rough quotas, here is how I see the lay of the land (reference 2000 census):

Blacks:  Already have one, that's 11.1% of the court.  Blacks make up ~12.3% of the population, so they're more or less at parity on the SCOTUS
Hispanics:  Assuming Sotomayor gets on, given that Hispanics are ~12.5% of population, they'll also be at parity
Catholics: Given that 66% of the SCOTUS is Catholic and only 24% of the population identifies as Catholic, we need to throw 4 of them off the court.  Keep Thomas because he covers the black slot.
Jews: 22% of the court is Jewish but only 1% of the population is.  Jews are even more overrepresented (as a ratio to their population percentage) than Catholics.
Women:  After Sotomayor will have 22% of SCOTUS as female.  Need to get 2 or 3 more on the court to achieve parity.

So, if we are to play the diversity/parity game, the next few appointments would need to be (a) not Catholics or Jews, (b) likely female, (c) likely not black or Hispanic  in order to play the numbers game.

With the exception of item (b), would seem to be a plan that even the KKK could approve.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/23/09 at 9:35 pm

The cynic in me says not without a.....quota.  People say quota like it is a bad word.  Not me.  We have had 250 years of quotas used to exclude.  Using quotas to include is not a bad thing.

Quotas PERIOD are a bad thing.  Two wrongs don't make a right.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/24/09 at 9:20 pm

You realize, of course, that there are presently only two WASPs on the SCOTUS.  That would be Souter and Stevens, who indeed are White Anglo Saxon Protestants.

-Scalia and Alito are Italian Catholics, not what one thinks of as WASPs

-Breyer and Ginzburg are Jews, again... not WASPs.

-Thomas is a Black Catholic... pretty much the opposite of a WASP

-Kennedy and Roberts are as close as you're gonna get to WASPs, but they are not Protestants.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/09 at 9:29 pm

You realize, of course, that there are presently only two WASPs on the SCOTUS.  That would be Souter and Stevens, who indeed are White Anglo Saxon Protestants.

-Scalia and Alito are Italian Catholics, not what one thinks of as WASPs

-Breyer and Ginzburg are Jews, again... not WASPs.

-Thomas is a Black Catholic... pretty much the opposite of a WASP

-Kennedy and Roberts are as close as you're gonna get to WASPs, but they are not Protestants.

We been ex-cluuuuded long eeenuff, ain't we, LB?
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/09 at 11:31 am

We been ex-cluuuuded long eeenuff, ain't we, LB?
;)

Well, I am half WASP and half WASC.  So I can play both sides of the fence.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/09 at 10:07 pm

Well, I am half WASP and half WASC.  So I can play both sides of the fence.   ;D

I'm WASP-Irish.  I'm only about 20% Irish, but I've got the Irish surname, and the leprechaun chin, and ski-jump nose, so I can really play it up, like if I'm at O'Malley's pub in Southie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI5Tq8BwiE&feature=related

Check for new replies or respond here...