» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Evolution vrs Creationism

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/14/08 at 1:01 pm

While this isn't a burning issue in my life I do accept the theory of evolution, and find it interesting to read about it.  There are any number of books for the layman that are fascinating.

Subject: Re: Evolution vrs Creationism

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/14/08 at 1:27 pm

Absolutely evolution.

Written By: Satish on 12/14/08 at 2:05 pm

I generally believe in the theory of evolution.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/14/08 at 2:19 pm

I believe in Creationism.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/08 at 2:44 pm

Evolution, however I've always argued the point that maybe a Supreme Being doesn't really have a problem with it.  True "Creationism" would suggest that everything was made in six days. 

Written By: Tam on 12/14/08 at 2:53 pm

I believe in Bible-based Creationism. 8)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/14/08 at 3:27 pm

Evolution, I don't see what's the contradiction between religion and evolution they're really unrelated actually. I think there was probably a God behind it at least at the beginning of the process, though I don't know "for sure" what was behind everything exactly because it's impossible to, we can have only faith and speculate. Evolution only describes the process not what was behind it, the question of supreme beings is outside the realm of science. There's still much we don't know but that is science we will keep learning with time.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/08 at 3:37 pm

Evolution, I don't see what's the contradiction between religion and evolution they're really unrelated actually. I think there was probably a God behind it at least at the beginning of the process, though I don't know "for sure" what was behind everything exactly because it's impossible to, we can have only faith and speculate. Evolution only describes the process not what was behind it, the question of supreme beings is outside the realm of science. There's still much we don't know but that is science we will keep learning with time.

Hey, I'm not the only one who this this whole thing is not an issue.  I think if God is behind the whole evolutionary process is because he either needed something to watch.  Perhaps even knowing that perfection take time. :)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/14/08 at 3:41 pm

Evolution

Written By: Tam on 12/14/08 at 3:43 pm

Here's a question:

I heard this somewhere else but if everything came from Evolution, then why aren't the apes still evolving? ???

Written By: karen on 12/14/08 at 3:45 pm

Here's a question:

I heard this somewhere else but if everything came from Evolution, then why aren't the apes still evolving? ???

They are - just not within your lifetime

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/08 at 3:48 pm

Here's a question:

Selective mutation.  There are dozens of species of primates.   Apes are more evolved than the Reyes monkey.  

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/14/08 at 4:34 pm

Creationism.

I'm sorry, I'm just more Midwestern than many of the people here.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/14/08 at 4:52 pm

Creationism.

I'm sorry, I'm just more Midwestern than many of the people here.

Don't be sorry for your beliefs.  Everyone has the right to believe what they believe and no one here will give you a hard time about it. :)

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/14/08 at 6:20 pm

Is what happened not what we choose to believe in. Science proved this one.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/14/08 at 6:23 pm

Evolution.

I believe that man is much to fallible to be an intelligent design. Also, one question has been in my mind since
my Catholic School days. I asked a priest and he danced around the question and never really answered it.

If God created the Earth and all we see in the heavens. He created all life as we know it, so tell me....
why did he stop here? There are 8 other planets in our solar system, why didn't he put life on them as
well? The man/woman/being has been in existence for all time and this measly planet is all he could come
up with? I reiterate.....Evolution!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/14/08 at 6:25 pm

Evolution.

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/14/08 at 6:33 pm

Evolution.

I believe that man is much to fallible to be an intelligent design. Also, one question has been in my mind since
my Catholic School days. I asked a priest and he danced around the question and never really answered it.

If God created the Earth and all we see in the heavens. He created all life as we know it, so tell me....
why did he stop here? There are 8 other planets in our solar system, why didn't he put life on them as
well? The man/woman/being has been in existence for all time and this measly planet is all he could come

Because "we" are a science experiment gone awry and have been left to stew in our own juices until we do ourselves in!  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/14/08 at 8:00 pm

Evolution.

I read somewhere where many high ranking Catholic priests scoff in private about creation and the immaculate conception.  It is more  more orthodox sects, like the Southern Baptists,  that still require their followers to subscribe to their own rigid interpretations.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/14/08 at 9:10 pm

I read somewhere where many high ranking Catholic priests scoff in private about creation and the immaculate conception.  It is more  more orthodox sects, like the Southern Baptists,  that still require their followers to subscribe to their own rigid interpretations.

It is permitted for Catholics to subscribe to the theory of Evolution.  As for the Immaculate Conception that is non-negotiable. 

Written By: EthanM on 12/14/08 at 9:22 pm

That's why they do their scoffing privately

Written By: wildcard on 12/14/08 at 10:20 pm

I believe God created everything and a system in which everything works. Over time things have changed and evolved.  Why did God stop there?  I'll have to ask Him some day.       

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/15/08 at 12:46 am

I believe God created everything and a system in which everything works. Over time things have changed and evolved.  Why did God stop there?  I'll have to ask Him some day.       

You think everything works?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/08 at 12:51 am

Evolution.

I don't know if it's the Ultimate Truth.  It works within scientific principles.  Creationism does not. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/15/08 at 2:36 am

Math's working just fine.

Physics seems to be working pretty well, and it might just be a specialized branch of mathematics.

Chemistry's working great, and that's just glorified phyiscs.

Biology's working fine, even if we don't understand much about it other than that deep down, it's just really complicated chemistry.

Sentience and consciousness are big mysteries, but they also work, even if the only presently-known implementations are running in the brains of biological organisms (typically primates, cetaceans, and a few of the cephalopods).

"Science is a game we play with God, to find out what his rules are."
  - Cornelius Krasel

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 4:56 am

Here's a question:

Was that supposed to be a joke?

That evolution has happened is about as undeniable a fact as there is in this world - to believe in a biblical creation story, you'd also have to believe that God planted incontrovertible evidence that life has evolved over a billion or more years.  I know he's a bit of a joker (hell, he gets his chosen people to cut off the ends of penises - if that's not a sadistic practical joke, I don't know what is), but what is it with the millions upon millions of fossilized ammonites?  The way the geological and fossil evidence hangs together, the only intellectually honest way you can believe in creation is to believe that for some reason God wants us to believe something else.. otherwise, why create millions of fossils as decoys?

Or a simpler, far more rational explanation - that no kind of all-powerful creator is required for the world to get to the way it is now.  Certainly the world seems to me to behave as though there were no all-powerful guiding force behind it.

Written By: wildcard on 12/15/08 at 11:30 am

The way God wanted it to. 

Physics seems to be working pretty well, and it might just be a specialized branch of mathematics.

Biology's working fine, even if we don't understand much about it other than that deep down, it's just really complicated chemistry.

Sentience and consciousness are big mysteries, but they also work, even if the only presently-known implementations are running in the brains of biological organisms (typically primates, cetaceans, and a few of the cephalopods).

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 11:34 am

The Greeks were keen on their math.  Of course that was before Jesus and without the influence of the bible.  Now how could that be???

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/08 at 11:35 am

Interesting comments.  Surprisingly, no one has challenged the assumptions of evolution.

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 12:30 pm

Interesting comments.  Surprisingly, no one has challenged the assumptions of evolution.

That depends what you mean by "the assumptions of evolution" - that life as we know it was not always as we know it, and has changed over the years?

Something like this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png

Written By: Tam on 12/15/08 at 12:34 pm

Was that supposed to be a joke?

That evolution has happened is about as undeniable a fact as there is in this world - to believe in a biblical creation story, you'd also have to believe that God planted incontrovertible evidence that life has evolved over a billion or more years.  I know he's a bit of a joker (hell, he gets his chosen people to cut off the ends of penises - if that's not a sadistic practical joke, I don't know what is), but what is it with the millions upon millions of fossilized ammonites?  The way the geological and fossil evidence hangs together, the only intellectually honest way you can believe in creation is to believe that for some reason God wants us to believe something else.. otherwise, why create millions of fossils as decoys?

Or a simpler, far more rational explanation - that no kind of all-powerful creator is required for the world to get to the way it is now.  Certainly the world seems to me to behave as though there were no all-powerful guiding force behind it.

No, it wasn't supposed to be a joke.

Evolution may be undeniable to some, but for me, I want to see the proof. The "beyond a shadow of a doubt" proof. Sure, science can manipulate things to make them 'become' real, but that isn't the proof I am talking about. And I am not talking about theories either. Theories are about as believable to me as others think my Faith is believable to them. However, I don't mock people because of what they think of my Faith. It is my Faith alone, and I won't try and shove it down someone else's throat either.

I won't deny that science is amazing. A lot of great things have been 'created' because of science. Cancer treatments, vaccines, cures.... But a lot of horrible things have been created by the same science. Anthrax & Ricin, Agent Orange, the Atom Bomb. Cloning. Who is really trying to be God?

So, no, it wasn't supposed to be a joke at all.

ETA: And yes, the same things can be said about my Faith - that people want proof. I suppose it's a stalemate then?

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/15/08 at 12:34 pm

OK, then...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 12:43 pm

No, it wasn't supposed to be a joke.

Evolution may be undeniable to some, but for me, I want to see the proof. The "beyond a shadow of a doubt" proof. Sure, science can manipulate things to make them 'become' real, but that isn't the proof I am talking about. And I am not talking about theories either. Theories are about as believable to me as others think my Faith is believable to them. However, I don't mock people because of what they think of my Faith. It is my Faith alone, and I won't try and shove it down someone else's throat either.

I won't deny that science is amazing. A lot of great things have been 'created' because of science. Cancer treatments, vaccines, cures.... But a lot of horrible things have been created by the same science. Anthrax & Ricin, Agent Orange, the Atom Bomb. Cloning. Who is really trying to be God?

So, no, it wasn't supposed to be a joke at all.

So is Creationism purely Christian based or can we assume that other religions have their own variation of it?  Who to also say that science can not be inspired by a religious notion or visa versa.  Mendel, the Father of Genetics was a religious fellow.  I don't think this is as black and white an issue as people think.  Nor should it be. 

Written By: Tam on 12/15/08 at 1:06 pm

So is Creationism purely Christian based or can we assume that other religions have their own variation of it?  Who to also say that science can not be inspired by a religious notion or visa versa.  Mendel, the Father of Genetics was a religious fellow.  I don't think this is as black and white an issue as people think.  Nor should it be. 

I wouldn't say it is Christian based. I personally believe any religion comes down to God.
It may not be black and white, but more shades of grey. Who is right and who is wrong? I try to see both sides, but it is hard for me when I know what my Faith has done for me when science has not been able to help.

(I have a hard time trying to come up with the right words, because you know I tend to shy away from debate, but this is something that touches my heart obviously, so I feel the need to at least try.) ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/15/08 at 1:13 pm

Evolution

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/15/08 at 1:40 pm

When I was a teen-and still coming to terms with I believed and didn't believe, I knew this "born-again" Christian (who my dad called a "Jesus Freak") say to me, "How do you know that Adam & Eve weren't apes?" At the time I thought that was a plausible theory. However, as I got older, I question IF the creation happened as it was described in the Bible-how do we really know? Who was there to write it all down? And don't get me started on who was Cain's wife.

The Bible only describes ONE "Creation" story. There are many, many others out there.

Here is a link where you can read several of them. Very interesting reading.

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSIndex.html

I find it interesting when reading these stories, people will say, "What interesting myths" but when reading the Bible, they believe it to be fact.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 2:42 pm

Evolution may be undeniable to some, but for me, I want to see the proof. The "beyond a shadow of a doubt" proof.

Read as many books as you can find.. Go to a museum.. Go to almost any beach in SW England and you'll find fossils - how did they get there?

The way the fossil record hangs together, showing change and development over geological timescales is not something you can choose to believe in or not - it is something that is there.  You may choose to ignore it, or not go looking for anything that spoils your world view, but as I said earlier the only way you can argue "god did it" is to explain *why* he decided to make everything seem like evolution occurred over millions of years.

Sure, science can manipulate things to make them 'become' real, but that isn't the proof I am talking about. And I am not talking about theories either. Theories are about as believable to me as others think my Faith is believable to them. However, I don't mock people because of what they think of my Faith. It is my Faith alone, and I won't try and shove it down someone else's throat either.

Sorry, but here you're simply showing that you don't quite grasp the basics of what science actually is: science doesn't manipulate anything - it tries to give an explanation for what we can see or measure in the world about us.  Science *doesn't* "prove things true", theories exist and are taken as an explanation until a better one comes along.  This is the strength of science: if you come up with an explanation which works better than existing theories, you will change scientific consensus (it may not happen immediately, because of mental inertia and there's often quite a bit of arguing).

It's not about science or scientists trying to play god - bear in mind that anthrax and ricin are both natural - what people decide to do with the knowledge they have acquired has no bearing on the basic premise of whether science is right or wrong

ETA: And yes, the same things can be said about my Faith - that people want proof. I suppose it's a stalemate then?

The only reason you see it as a stalemate is because you are being closed-minded: you are refusing even to look for things which might contradict your faith.

Written By: wildcard on 12/15/08 at 3:02 pm

The Greeks were keen on their math.  Of course that was before Jesus and without the influence of the bible.  Now how could that be???

So are you saying that the Greeks couldn't have been good at math before Christ or the Bible?  I don't what point you're trying to make here.

Written By: Tam on 12/15/08 at 3:06 pm

Read as many books as you can find.. Go to a museum.. Go to almost any beach in SW England and you'll find fossils - how did they get there?

The way the fossil record hangs together, showing change and development over geological timescales is not something you can choose to believe in or not - it is something that is there.  You may choose to ignore it, or not go looking for anything that spoils your world view, but as I said earlier the only way you can argue "god did it" is to explain *why* he decided to make everything seem like evolution occurred over millions of years.

Books - am I to see it that 'books' are my proof? If that is the case then my 'Book' should be proof to you as well.
But of course it is people like you who mock my Book, and claim that it is nothing but a bunch of stories, set to scare the wits out of people, in order to make them conform to society.  ::) If you read my Book, you have the choice to believe what you do, and so I do as well.

Sorry, but here you're simply showing that you don't quite grasp the basics of what science actually is: science doesn't manipulate anything - it tries to give an explanation for what we can see or measure in the world about us.  Science *doesn't* "prove things true", theories exist and are taken as an explanation until a better one comes along.  This is the strength of science: if you come up with an explanation which works better than existing theories, you will change scientific consensus (it may not happen immediately, because of mental inertia and there's often quite a bit of arguing).

I shall remain quite on this front because it is unbecoming to try and make someone look stupid.

It's not about science or scientists trying to play god - bear in mind that anthrax and ricin are both natural - what people decide to do with the knowledge they have acquired has no bearing on the basic premise of whether science is right or wrong
The only reason you see it as a stalemate is because you are being closed-minded: you are refusing even to look for things which might contradict your faith.

I will have you know that I am the farthest from close-minded you will find. I am open to almost anything, as long as it is presented in a manner that I would also present things. To try and belittle someone because of their Faith, IMO is the highest form of arrogance and self-righteousness and it actually makes you appear to be ignorant.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/08 at 3:06 pm

One problem creationists point to is that the fossil record is incomplete, there are major gaps.  Another is that there are very very few transitional fossils, but there are answers to both of these point.  For the first, it is very hard to make a fossil. The conditions have to be just right, like rapid burial.

And I think Phibo owes Tam an apology

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 3:18 pm

Books - am I to see it that 'books' are my proof? If that is the case then my 'Book' should be proof to you as well.
But of course it is people like you who mock my Book, and claim that it is nothing but a bunch of stories, set to scare the wits out of people, in order to make them conform to society.  ::) If you read my Book, you have the choice to believe what you do, and so I do as well.

Oh, FFS... if I were to say "read one book, and believe what's in it without questioning", then you might have a point.  But - read as many books as you can, especially ones that are based on natural history - books that record the world and its history.  What about the museums - the things that you can actually touch (if there's no glass covering them)?

OK... start at the very beginning (or nearly) - how does your book explain even the ammonites on the beaches?

I shall remain quite on this front because it is unbecoming to try and make someone look stupid.

I'm not trying to make you look stupid, merely to point out that from what you've written you obviously do not understand what science is. That doesn't mean you're stupid, merely that you've not had the right teachers.  Ignoring what I'm saying, or simply repeating dogma without thinking - now really is stupid.

I will have you know that I am the farthest from close-minded you will find. I am open to almost anything, as long as it is presented in a manner that I would also present things. To try and belittle someone because of their Faith, IMO is the highest form of arrogance and self-righteousness and it actually makes you appear to be ignorant.

Sorry, I don't believe you to be anything like far from closed-minded.  You do not seem to be remotely willing to think: certainly you haven't tried to answer what I've said - only to take a portion of it and ignore the rest, then take umbrage because you don't like being questioned.  In what way does that make you open-minded?

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 3:24 pm

One problem creationists point to is that the fossil record is incomplete, there are major gaps.  Another is that there are very very few transitional fossils, but there are answers to both of these point.  For the first, it is very hard to make a fossil. The conditions have to be just right, like rapid burial.

How can an incomplete fossil record be an argument for creationism?  Any fossil of an age greater than creationists believe the earth is (which is basically *all* of them) is an argument against creationism.

Explaining the gaps is not anything like as critical as explaining what we actually can see, where we find it.  I think I made this point a while back, but it's still relevant: evolution may as full of holes as a Swiss cheese, but you can't deny the cheese is there.  And the cheese is definitely the best explanation for why it's tasty in a sandwich.

And I think Phibo owes Tam an apology

Why?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 3:45 pm

So are you saying that the Greeks couldn't have been good at math before Christ or the Bible?  I don't what point you're trying to make here.

In some was yes.  Being that they did not believe in the God that made everything perfect. (so you have stated)  Did God create then knowing that they believe in Zeus and other forms of Gods?  If God had perfection in mind why would he produce such a society? 

Written By: Tam on 12/15/08 at 4:26 pm

A friend has said to me that the best debates are the ones thats stay on an "intellectual level and do not degenerate into name calling" and so I will rise above this current situation. I also feel I need to because I was heading in a direction unbecoming of a moderator. My views and beliefs still stand. I just think this topic deserves better.

;) 8)

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 5:22 pm

A friend has said to me that the best debates are the ones thats stay on an "intellectual level and do not degenerate into name calling" and so I will rise above this current situation. I also feel I need to because I was heading in a direction unbecoming of a moderator. My views and beliefs still stand. I just think this topic deserves better.

I'm trying to keep things on an intellectual level, and if you can point out where I've called you any names, please go ahead.

Written By: Tia on 12/15/08 at 5:27 pm

I'm trying to keep things on an intellectual level, and if you can point out where I've called you any names, please go ahead.

You do not seem to be remotely willing to think:

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 12/15/08 at 6:22 pm

I believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster made life, the universe, and everything.

Written By: philbo on 12/15/08 at 6:25 pm

That wasn't name-calling.  That was a description of lack of thought in what was typed as a direct reply to what I considered to be a singularly inaccurate statement about not being closed-minded.  Show me any of Tam's replies to me which shows that she was thinking about what I'd written.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 6:27 pm

I believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster made life, the universe, and everything.

You've been touched by his noodly appendage.  Oh, what bliss you must be in. :)

Written By: wildcard on 12/15/08 at 6:27 pm

In some was yes.  Being that they did not believe in the God that made everything perfect. (so you have stated)  Did God create then knowing that they believe in Zeus and other forms of Gods?  If God had perfection in mind why would he produce such a society? 

Yes I did state what I believe and I believe God created everyone to have a free will.  He could have created robots if he wanted but He didn't.  I don't know I'm not Him. I've had things happin to me. My faith makes me believe there is a God and He knows what He's doing.  

Written By: Macphisto on 12/15/08 at 6:28 pm

You've been touched by his noodly appendage.  Oh, what bliss you must be in. :)

Pasta be upon him...  :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 6:30 pm

Pasta be upon him...  :D

Ramen. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/15/08 at 6:33 pm

Yes I did state what I believe and I believe God created everyone to have a free will.  He could have created robots if he wanted but He didn't.  I don't know I'm not Him. I've had things happin to me. My faith makes me believe there is a God and He knows what He's doing.  

OK, now I get what your saying.  He created everything, just with a bit of breathing room.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/08 at 8:45 pm

If He is so great, who created Him?
8)

Written By: Tam on 12/16/08 at 12:52 am

I wasn't going to reply because I am not a good debater. But I do feel like I need to say a few things before I leave this thread.

Oh, FFS... if I were to say "read one book, and believe what's in it without questioning", then you might have a point.  But - read as many books as you can, especially ones that are based on natural history - books that record the world and its history.  What about the museums - the things that you can actually touch (if there's no glass covering them)?

OK... start at the very beginning (or nearly) - how does your book explain even the ammonites on the beaches?

I'm not trying to make you look stupid, merely to point out that from what you've written you obviously do not understand what science is. That doesn't mean you're stupid, merely that you've not had the right teachers.  Ignoring what I'm saying, or simply repeating dogma without thinking - now really is stupid.

First and foremost, you lost any respect I might have had for you and your stance the minute you replied with your acronym "FFS". By using it, Sir, you showed zero respect towards myself or anyone else. That does not mean that I am without fault, however, to me it means that I cannot continue a conversation with someone who feels they need to use such 'words' in order to communicate. Which is why:

Sorry, I don't believe you to be anything like far from closed-minded.  You do not seem to be remotely willing to think: certainly you haven't tried to answer what I've said - only to take a portion of it and ignore the rest, then take umbrage because you don't like being questioned.  In what way does that make you open-minded?

it may appear that I am closed-minded. Do not for one second assume that I am anything less than open. Truly, if I was closed-minded I would have plainly said you are wrong and then tried to debunk your every post from that point on. You make your points, I attempt to make mine, however normally in an open-minded conversation, both parties would tend to give a little. You gave nothing at all.

For the record, I know what science is. I have been taught very well. But science isn't the end all that meets all is it? Religion isn't the end all that meets all is it? When it comes to this topic, neither party is right or wrong, because what it boils down to is what the individual believes. And my belief Sir, is my God Given Right.

Written By: philbo on 12/16/08 at 6:04 am

To conclude, then...

First and foremost, you lost any respect I might have had for you and your stance the minute you replied with your acronym "FFS". By using it, Sir, you showed zero respect towards myself or anyone else.

It's all very well to use my use of an acronymic expression of frustration as a way of avoiding the question, but that's a cop-out, as is your assertion that in using the acronym I am showing no respect.  If you had shown any willingness to accord me the respect of thinking about the answer I gave, I wouldn't have felt that frustration.

it may appear that I am closed-minded. Do not for one second assume that I am anything less than open. Truly, if I was closed-minded I would have plainly said you are wrong and then tried to debunk your every post from that point on. You make your points, I attempt to make mine, however normally in an open-minded conversation, both parties would tend to give a little. You gave nothing at all.

If you were truly open-minded, you'd have read and tried to take on board what I was trying to explain.  Please try and debunk my every post - testing & questioning a theory is far more open-minded than simply refusing to think about it.  It's not a question of "giving a little" - I'm not trying to find a compromise between understanding and lack of understanding.

For the record, I know what science is. I have been taught very well. But science isn't the end all that meets all is it? Religion isn't the end all that meets all is it? When it comes to this topic, neither party is right or wrong, because what it boils down to is what the individual believes. And my belief Sir, is my God Given Right.

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ.  When you said:
I heard this somewhere else but if everything came from Evolution, then why aren't the apes still evolving?
That shows a lack of understanding so remarkable I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a joke or not.

You then said:
Evolution may be undeniable to some, but for me, I want to see the proof. The "beyond a shadow of a doubt" proof. Sure, science can manipulate things to make them 'become' real, but that isn't the proof I am talking about.
Again, showing misunderstanding: science doesn't "manipulate things to make them become real", it tries to explain what is there.

I'm afraid I don't believe that you want to see the proof - if you did, you'd have gone out looking and not ignoring what is all around.

You may find my style too abrasive, for that I apologise - but I do not apologise for what I have said and tried to show.  If you truly had the open mind and knowledge of science, you would not have written the things you have.  As a scientist by training, I go where the evidence takes me.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/08 at 6:34 am

Seems like this conversation is devolving.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/16/08 at 9:58 am

If He is so great, who created Him?
8)

The FSM. :)

Written By: philbo on 12/16/08 at 10:56 am

The FSM. :)

Heretic!  The IPU

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/16/08 at 11:02 am

Heretic!  The IPU

Oh no!!!  I've been called a heretic.  Whatever shall I do? ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/16/08 at 11:37 am

How can an incomplete fossil record be an argument for creationism?  Any fossil of an age greater than creationists believe the earth is (which is basically *all* of them) is an argument against creationism.

Explaining the gaps is not anything like as critical as explaining what we actually can see, where we find it.  I think I made this point a while back, but it's still relevant: evolution may as full of holes as a Swiss cheese, but you can't deny the cheese is there.  And the cheese is definitely the best explanation for why it's tasty in a sandwich.
Why?

There are creationists willing to accept that the earth is billions of years old.  They argue that since there are virtually no transitional fossils in the record that therefore the fossil record does not support evolution.  There is an elegant explanation for this lack called "punctuated equilibrium"  which was proposed buy Steven J. Gould. 

Written By: philbo on 12/16/08 at 12:20 pm

There are creationists willing to accept that the earth is billions of years old.  They argue that since there are virtually no transitional fossils in the record that therefore the fossil record does not support evolution. 

True, they do argue that - the definition of "transitional" is always "something between two examples that we can see", so if you find something that is a transition between two distinct types, that actually creates an extra missing "transitional fossil".  It is literally impossible to satisfy those types.

There is an elegant explanation for this lack called "punctuated equilibrium"  which was proposed buy Steven J. Gould.   

The idea of a punctuated equilibrium (I didn't realize it was Gould's idea, to be honest - probably because I'd come across the concept many years before reading Gould) is an almost inevitable one when you look at how the Earth has changed over the aeons - when conditions are largely the same over generations, there is little selection pressure; things change (weather, a new predator arrives, or a meteorite strike for a *really* extreme example), and things that weren't survival traits suddenly become them...

That's not to say that a more gradual ("classical") evolution hasn't happened - there are enough examples of what can only be termed "transitional" fossils to support this.

Written By: karen on 12/16/08 at 2:24 pm

I tihnk philbo answers that question above. There has to be a driving force that makes one trait desirable or a survival trait.  Otherwise whatever works just carries on as usual until the next reason to change.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/17/08 at 1:19 am

I guess I'm going to have to be problematic here and disagree with 'evolution vs creationism' and answer with "neither". Has evolution occurred? Yes. Is it possible that a god of some type created the universe(s) as we know it? Yes. Is it possible both theories are wrong? Yes. Can both theories co-exist and be correct (not assuming a Biblical account): yes.

The problem I have with either is that, at some point, you get the mathematical equivalent of division by zero, i.e., both break down into pure speculation. Both require one to believe that something was created from nothing.

There's at least four scientific theories re: the creation of the universe (that do not involve a god-type), none of which are compatible with each other.

I dunno if I'm extremely close-minded because I reject the two most common theories (God vs big bang) or open-minded because I think enough to realize both have faults that will never be overcome in my lifetime, and that I honestly dgaf which (if either) is 'right' or 'wrong'. Looking all one's life for an answer that will readily become apparent upon death is a gross misuse of our limited time here.

IMHO:

The biggest argument against evolution is people themselves.

The biggest argument against creationism is a total lack of facts or evidence.

The question at hand is like trying to assemble a 6000 (or 20 billion) year old puzzle when you are missing key pieces and don't know what the final picture looks like. Unsolvable.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/08 at 1:40 am

Yes, there are gaps in the fossil record, so therefore it follows God created the heavens and the Earth in six days?  Is that what the Creationists are driving at?  Paleontologists are looking at evidence and making the best hypotheses they can and following up on the experiments.  Why?  Because they're scientists applying scientific method; it's not "faith." 

Faith is a beautiful thing, but it does not contribute to the totality of human knowledge in the same way as science. 

If you've got a cancer, are gonna go to an oncologist, or are you going to go for prayer meetings with the Christian Science advisor?  A tiny percentage of cancer sufferers will do the latter, and I guess that's their business. 

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/08 at 8:21 am

If you've got a cancer, are gonna go to an oncologist, or are you going to go for prayer meetings with the Christian Science advisor?  A tiny percentage of cancer sufferers will do the latter, and I guess that's their business. 

Just because you have faith in God doesn't mean you reject medicine.  I know there are religious sects that do, but most of us do believe in doctors.  I look at it this way, God helps those who help themselves.  You can be healed of cancer, but you need to do your part, too.  Going to the doctor is your part. 

From another angle, getting a job.  You can pray for a job all you want but if you lay on the couch and do nothing, you won't get a job.  Get out and look for a job and God will lead you in the right direction, IMO.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/08 at 10:36 am

It goes to the question of http://free will.  The supposition is that God made us, told us what to do, then gave us the ability to decide whether or not to do it.  If we do what he(or they who decided they spoke for him) says we get to heaven, if not we rot in hell. I would say that most of us are destined to rot in hell in someones book somewhere. 

Written By: philbo on 12/17/08 at 10:52 am

Just because you have faith in God doesn't mean you reject medicine.  I know there are religious sects that do, but most of us do believe in doctors.  I look at it this way, God helps those who help themselves.  You can be healed of cancer, but you need to do your part, too.  Going to the doctor is your part. 

From another angle, getting a job.  You can pray for a job all you want but if you lay on the couch and do nothing, you won't get a job.  Get out and look for a job and God will lead you in the right direction, IMO.

Reminds me of the joke:

Once there was a man whose house was in a flood. He stood on the porch as the waters rose. A boat came by, the driver urged the man to get on board but the man said he was waiting on the Lord to save him. The waters rose, the first floor was flooded and as the man looked out his second story window, another boat came to rescue him. The man turned the boat away, saying he would wait for God to rescue him. Finally he was clinging to the chimney on the roof. A helicopter flew overhead and dropped down a ladder. The man waved it off, saying Jesus would save his life. Finally he was swept away in the waters and drowned. At the pearly gates, he saw God and said, Lord, all my life I did as you asked but when the time came you did not save me. And God said, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what else did you want?"

But it does beg the question: so what difference is there between there being a god (or even a million of 'em) and there being none?

It goes to the question of http://free will.  The supposition is that God made us, told us what to do, then gave us the ability to decide whether or not to do it.  If we do what he(or they who decided they spoke for him) says we get to heaven, if not we rot in hell. I would say that most of us are destined to rot in hell in someones book somewhere. 

If any one religion is right about heaven/hell, then the overwhelming majority of the population is going to burn..

Written By: Dagwood on 12/17/08 at 11:04 am

But it does beg the question: so what difference is there between there being a god (or even a million of 'em) and there being none?

Personal opinion.  Some believe there is a God, others don't.  I am of the belief that there is a God.  If you don't believe then that is your choice.  I believe because I like the idea that there is something after death than just nothing.  I like the idea of God looking after me.  There is nothing anyone can say that will change my opinion, just as there are people who don't believe that nothing can be said to change their opinion.

I would rather go my whole life believing in God and following Him and find out when I die that I am wrong than go through life not believing and finding out that He does exist. 

Written By: Tia on 12/17/08 at 11:46 am

That wasn't name-calling.  That was a description of lack of thought in what was typed as a direct reply to what I considered to be a singularly inaccurate statement about not being closed-minded.  Show me any of Tam's replies to me which shows that she was thinking about what I'd written.

no, it's name calling. you're saying she seems as a person to be incapable of thinking, not that she isn't thinking in this particular instance. it's deeply insulting. you have to make the distinction between what a person is saying in a particular exchange and that a person IS a particular way.

Written By: Tia on 12/17/08 at 11:48 am

I would rather go my whole life believing in God and following Him and find out when I die that I am wrong than go through life not believing and finding out that He does exist. 

and it's this compulsory nature of christianity -- "better to believe than be found wrong than disbelieve and burn in hell forever!" -- that makes me suspect christianity as it's historically been practiced amounts to emotional extortion. it amounts to paying the church protection money every month on the fear that something bad might happen if we don't.

Written By: philbo on 12/17/08 at 12:08 pm

no, it's name calling. you're saying she seems as a person to be incapable of thinking, not that she isn't thinking in this particular instance. it's deeply insulting. you have to make the distinction between what a person is saying in a particular exchange and that a person IS a particular way.

No, you're misquoting me: I said she did not seem willing to think, not that she was incapable of it.  And I'd say that the conversation in this thread shows exactly that.

Written By: Tia on 12/17/08 at 12:18 pm

No, you're misquoting me: I said she did not seem willing to think, not that she was incapable of it.  And I'd say that the conversation in this thread shows exactly that.
ok, if that's the way you perceive it, you should consider finding some big dude at a bar and saying

You do not seem to be remotely willing to think

to his face and see how he takes it  ;D

Written By: philbo on 12/17/08 at 12:30 pm

In the event of having my comments not thought about, I will - certainly in debates in the past I have accused the other guy of not thinking about the questions/answers I have given.  To go up to someone out of the blue and say "you do not seem remotely willing to think" unprovoked would be uncalled for - but that is not what I did.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/17/08 at 1:49 pm

One of the questions I've always had of classic evolution is why are there are distinct levels of development. I figure that since evolution is continual and transitional, so should all of life. One generation should be a tiny bit more advanced or at least different than it's parents. However what I find strange is how one species can remain the same for millions of years and then boom, a whole new species is developed. For instance scientist claim that they can trace humanity to it's first ancestor, a women in Africa they call "Lucy". Yet, where did this human suddenly appear from and why? Wouldn't it make more sense for there to be a continual development from Ape to Modern Man?

The answer is punctuated equilibrium.  It is based on simple genetics.  Genes occur on chromosomes, XX female, XY male, AA brown eyes, Ab brown eyes bb blue eyes (b being recessive).  Genes mutate all the time, but most mutations do not manifest themselves, or are negative and the mutant dies or fails to reproduce.  Ok teeth are made of the same material as fish scales.  A few million years ago, no fish had teeth.  A gene on the "scales" chromosome mutates, allowing scales to grow inside the mouth, but it is recessive.  Half of the offspring of this one fish carry the recessive gene.  Half of all their offspring carry it.  Sooner or later two offspring with the recessive gene mate, and just as with eye color, some offspring get 2 recessive genes, one from each parent.  Presto chango, fish with scales inside their mouths.  Are they a new species?  Certainly a paleontologist who finds their fossils will think so since this looks like a major difference from the dominant population even though they are alike in all other ways .  Certainly having teeth is an advantage over the toothless variety and no doubt would spread quickly.  But there would be NO transitional forms between the two because there weren't any.

Now as to god in all this.  If you haven't seen Inherit the Wind about the Scopes trial, I highly recommend it - the older Spencer Tracy version is better than the newer one- and is based on the trial transcripts.  Clarence Darrow did put William Jennings Bryant on the witness stand and got him to admit that the first few days in Genesis could have been millions or billions of years long - who says a god day is 24 hours?  What I'm getting at is that evolution is a mechanism based on the chemistry of life, it explains HOW biological change takes place, not WHY in the philosophical sense.  It could be, as the Deists would have it, that god the watch maker wound up the universe (for kicks maybe) and is enjoying the spectacle of it's unfolding, or maybe god takes a more active role, or maybe there is no god.  No theory can determine the answer to that one.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/18/08 at 6:00 pm

Heretic!  The IPU

I had forgotten about that one...  All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/08 at 9:26 pm

I had forgotten about that one...  All hail the Invisible Pink Unicorn!

Follow the gourd!

Written By: Red Ant on 12/18/08 at 9:49 pm

Tax-exempt status?

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/08 at 9:59 pm

Tax-exempt status?

Ant

If the IRS could audit God, they would!

Written By: philbo on 12/19/08 at 4:30 am

Tax-exempt status?

Ant

Ooh, you old cynic... does tax-exemption rely on there being a god in religion, then?  I wonder, are the Jedi get tax exempt, too?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/08 at 4:49 pm

Ooh, you old cynic... does tax-exemption rely on there being a god in religion, then?  I wonder, are the Jedi get tax exempt, too?

There was a guy back in my hometown who tried to claim his property was a church, including the horse farm and the restaurant he owned!  He was in arears for some, ahem, ungodly sum of money and the IRS was nipping at his backside.

This fellow dropped out of Harvard Divinity School and had a fine career as a cocaine dealer (hence the restaurant front), which makes an audit particularly nerve-wracking.  So the guy started to lose his marbles.  He declared his property was the Curch of Higher Consciousness of the Grand Poo-Bah (or something along those lines), but the government wasn't hearing of it.

Last I heard of crazy Andy he'd cornered a tax assessor in an ATM and threatened to break his kneecaps!
:o

Written By: Macphisto on 12/19/08 at 7:39 pm

Tax-exempt status?

Ant

Amen to that...  lol  (bad pun, I know)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/20/08 at 11:16 am

Seems we have drifted away from the science.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/08 at 12:31 pm

What I don't understand is "Biblical" creation happened in six days, however Creationist obviously believe it's older.  So are there two forms of Creationism? 

Written By: philbo on 12/20/08 at 2:45 pm

The last time I watched religious tv there were two indeed two camps (each having there own competing tv shows)

New Earth theorists: People who believe in a literal 6 days creation. They believe that everything was created including heaven and Earth only 6,000 years ago. Major events such as the Grand Canyon can be explained by the flood.

I was having an argument with a chap who believed exactly that: the double-standards needed to hold & especially argue this view are fairly surreal.. since the fossil record is not complete... therefore the evidence is not all there, and evolution can't have happened over millions of years... there was a flood, therefore the Grand Canyon and all sorts of other natural phenomena formed over the last few thousand years.  Basically, if it supports the contention, it doesn't need evidence; if it's contrary to it, the standard of evidence required is perfection.  I even wrote a song about it..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/08 at 3:15 pm

If the Earth is in fact 6,000 years old, then "new" becomes the new "old."
:D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/20/08 at 5:23 pm

The last time I watched religious tv there were two indeed two camps (each having there own competing tv shows)

New Earth theorists: People who believe in a literal 6 days creation. They believe that everything was created including heaven and Earth only 6,000 years ago. Major events such as the Grand Canyon can be explained by the flood.

Old Earth theorists: People who believe that evolution is another natural process set into motion by a designer. They believe that the bible gives a symbolic outline of how the universe was created and use the fact that sun was created a few "days" in the process, thus eliminating the literal 24 hour day. They also even use the line where God says that a day to him is like a 1000 years and a 1000 years is as a day.

So I was right.  The Old Earth theory sounds a bit more believable im my opinion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/21/08 at 2:02 pm

"New Earth" or "Old Earth" creationism asks us to make a leap of faith and refrain from silly questions (such as, "Who created the creator?") so it's a dead end for scientific inquiry!

Written By: philbo on 12/21/08 at 3:56 pm

There is a difference between young earth/old earth creation myths: the former contradict every bit of evidence you can get from observation & measurement; the latter doesn't, but doesn't provide any testable hypotheses, so it can't be proven or disproved.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/08 at 8:34 pm

Well there really isn't a debate between Faith and Science between the two after the big bang (outside of Young Earth Creationism). Both recognize the processes afterward. However I think that debate on what started it all is more of philosophical issue. All theories before then require a leap of faith. Frankly almost everything we believe is a matter of faith. Whether it's believing that the atoms of a chair will remain in harmony enough for you to sit down, believing that the world existed before you were born, or even if that computer in front of you that you can see and touch is really there or is it a false manipulation of your senses, is a matter of faith. 

I agree, but there's a difference between saying, "Science hasn't found evidence for what started the Big Bang" and saying, "The Bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it!"

Written By: Mushroom on 12/28/08 at 12:50 am

For over 20 years, I have considered myself a "Creative Evolutionist".

And I find no contradiction in this at all.

Having a very analytical and scientific mind, I simply see to much proof in the existance of evolution.

However, there are also both large jumps in evolution that are impossible to explain, and also somethings that are impossible to describe.

Ultimately, I guess I see God as the ultimate scientist.  He watches things, and sees how they do on their own.  But on occasion, He is not above sticking his hand in the experiment to make some changes.

"Well, making those Lizards big and ferocious was interesting, but they are not very smart.  But gee, that little furry thing hiding in the hole has some potential.  Let's drop this big rock down and kill off all the lizards, and see what they can do in a few score million years".

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/28/08 at 12:34 pm

However, there are also both large jumps in evolution that are impossible to explain, and also somethings that are impossible to describe.

Go back a few posts for my explanation of punctuated equilibrium.  It explains why the fossil record seems to contain large jumps.  They are explainable because they only appear to be large jumps, ie toothless fish for eons then all of a sudden fish with teeth and no apparent intermediaries.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/30/08 at 12:02 am

Go back a few posts for my explanation of punctuated equilibrium.  It explains why the fossil record seems to contain large jumps.  They are explainable because they only appear to be large jumps, ie toothless fish for eons then all of a sudden fish with teeth and no apparent intermediaries.

I not only know about punctuated equlibrium, I accept it.  But I was not only talking about the fossil record.

With all the Mass Extinctions in the history of our planet, it is amazing that any life has survived at all.  We have fluctuated from a burning sulfer hell to a snowball, to everything in between.  We have been pummeled by comets and asteroids, even bashed by a sister planet (Theia).  And so many things have happened so perfectly that it boggles the imagination (presence of a moon, perfect amount of mass to retain an atmosphere, situated right where H2O would be primarily liquid, enough of an iron core to create the VanAllen belts, the list goes on and on).

And if you think Global Warming is bad now, go back around 55.8 mya, during the Paleocene-Eocene extinction event.  During this time, the temperate of the Arctic Ocean was an average of 22c (71f).  Of course, there are people that believe that these events come in cycles.  Robert A. Rohde & Richard A. Muller believe that they come in on an average of every 63 my, give or take 3 million years.  Following those figures, we are actually due for another one any time now.

Written By: philbo on 12/30/08 at 4:59 am

And so many things have happened so perfectly that it boggles the imagination (presence of a moon, perfect amount of mass to retain an atmosphere, situated right where H2O would be primarily liquid, enough of an iron core to create the VanAllen belts, the list goes on and on).

There are billions of planets out there - it doesn't boggle the imagination that conditions are "just right" here, we're here rather than on one of the almost infinitely huge number of alternatives because this planet happened to have the right conditions.  Why would a creator waste all the effort of making the gas giants in our own solar system, let alone the billions upon billions of other stars, galaxies and planets which don't support life?

To say "things look like they were tailor-made for our kind of life, therefore they must have been" is to miss the point: if things (such as the "fine-tuned" constants) had been different, who's to say a whether a different type of life would have come about; if the history of our world is so special, why have the innumerable other worlds that aren't?

Robert A. Rohde & Richard A. Muller believe that they come in on an average of every 63 my, give or take 3 million years.  Following those figures, we are actually due for another one any time now.

"Any time now" being at some point over the next 4-11 million years?  It would be vaguely surprising if the human race survives that long, the way it's going.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/08 at 9:48 am

"Any time now" being at some point over the next 4-11 million years?  It would be vaguely surprising if the human race survives that long, the way it's going.

It's the same New Earth creationists who say the rapture is coming any day now and the Righteous Few will be whisked to heaven and the rest of us will be left behind to rot in a new mundane hell forever. 

So...He created this Earth and Man in His image for a seven-thousand year experiment to find out how many of His people are worthy of His grace when He is all-knowing and therefore knew who's who eternally beforehand?  Begs a bizarre existential question, doesn't it?
:D

Written By: philbo on 12/30/08 at 10:31 am

You're applying logic - it never works..

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/30/08 at 11:34 am

There are billions of planets out there - it doesn't boggle the imagination that conditions are "just right" here, we're here rather than on one of the almost infinitely huge number of alternatives because this planet happened to have the right conditions.  Why would a creator waste all the effort of making the gas giants in our own solar system, let alone the billions upon billions of other stars, galaxies and planets which don't support life?

To say "things look like they were tailor-made for our kind of life, therefore they must have been" is to miss the point: if things (such as the "fine-tuned" constants) had been different, who's to say a whether a different type of life would have come about; if the history of our world is so special, why have the innumerable other worlds that aren't?

I think it was Mark Twain who compared earth history to the Eiffel Tower.  The layer of paint at the top being human existence.  Surely all the rest was put their to support that layer of paint.

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/08 at 12:00 pm

Why would a creator waste all the effort of making the gas giants in our own solar system, let alone the billions upon billions of other stars, galaxies and planets which don't support life?

Perhaps because He really wants to really know if we choose to except Him or not.  Maybe they are just distractions.  Another strange thought I've had before is what if the planets were Hell? 

Written By: philbo on 12/30/08 at 12:19 pm

I think it was Mark Twain who compared earth history to the Eiffel Tower.  The layer of paint at the top being human existence.  Surely all the rest was put their to support that layer of paint.

:)

Perhaps because He really wants to really know if we choose to except Him or not.  Maybe they are just distractions.  Another strange thought I've had before is what if the planets were Hell? 

At the risk of getting sidetracked into a discussion on Heaven & Hell - what actually goes there, anyway? Given that it's not part of a person's physical make-up (you don't lose weight immediately on dying as some part of your body flies off), it seems unlikely that either place exists in the physical world as we know it.  So we've got something we can't see or measure going somewhere we can't see or measure...

...and at the risk of seeming utterly pedantic, I'm sure you mean "accept", rather than "except" ;)

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/08 at 5:03 pm

:)At the risk of getting sidetracked into a discussion on Heaven & Hell - what actually goes there, anyway? Given that it's not part of a person's physical make-up (you don't lose weight immediately on dying as some part of your body flies off), it seems unlikely that either place exists in the physical world as we know it.  So we've got something we can't see or measure going somewhere we can't see or measure...

True we can't measure it, but does that mean it doesn't exist?  You think science will eventually prove everything?  We don't know and we go back to deciding if there is a God or not.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/30/08 at 5:33 pm

True we can't measure it, but does that mean it doesn't exist?  You think science will eventually prove everything?  We don't know and we go back to deciding if there is a God or not.

Dante's writings are what most people base their perception of heaven and hell on.  The perception of God has changed throughout the centuries too.  Basing Religious beliefs on another person from days gone by has been known to have flaws.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/08 at 5:34 pm

You're applying logic - it never works..

I guess they don't call it "faith" for nothing!

Written By: philbo on 12/30/08 at 6:25 pm

True we can't measure it, but does that mean it doesn't exist? 

What is the difference between something that cannot be detected in any way, shape or form and something that just plain isn't there?

You think science will eventually prove everything?  We don't know and we go back to deciding if there is a God or not.

No, I don't think science will ever be able to prove everything - at least, not with the flawed and fallible brains we have.  But we have to make the best of the mental equipment inside our heads, and everything I see behaves exactly as it would if there were no guiding hand of God behind it.  The only conclusion I can draw is that if there is a God, he's behaving exactly as if there wasn't.. the simpler explanation is that there is no god.  The simpler explanation is *always* that there is no god.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/30/08 at 8:39 pm

I remember an article either from my alma mater's humor newsletter or from the Onion, where the headline was basically:

God appears before world: Millions of atheists sh*t pants

I thought it was funny :)

Written By: wildcard on 12/30/08 at 10:38 pm

What is the difference between something that cannot be detected in any way, shape or form and something that just plain isn't there?

You have deleted the posibility of finding yourself an answer to that. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/30/08 at 10:54 pm

When I do a science experiment, I set up some reagents in a test tube or culture dish and just kind of wait to see what happens.  Is it possible, however crazy it may sound, that "God" just started a science experiment one day 15 billion years ago and is waiting to see what happens?

*brain*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/08 at 12:09 am

I remember an article either from my alma mater's humor newsletter or from the Onion, where the headline was basically:

God appears before world: Millions of atheists sh*t pants

Atheist: G-G-G-God...?
God: Yes, my son.
Atheist: Does this mean I'm going to...I mean, you know, am I the...the big D, like hafta...
God: WTF is your question, kid, get to it, I'm busy!
Atheist: Do I have to go to hell because I didn't believe in your divinity?
God: There is no hell.
Atheist: But you're real...and heaven is real?
God: Uh-huh.
Atheist: So all your worshippers with their acts of contrition and their guilt and their fear are...are...are...
God: Yes, wasting their time.
Atheist: Well, why don't you tell them they're wasting their time?
God: Because it's fun to watch on Sunday mornings.  Now run along, I've got some stars to pop around the back!

Written By: philbo on 12/31/08 at 4:42 am

You have deleted the posibility of finding yourself an answer to that. 

Well, I've spent enough time looking for something that doesn't appear to be there: my mind isn't closed to the possibility, but I'm not going to start imagining stuff so that I can fool myself into thinking I've got the answer.

When I do a science experiment, I set up some reagents in a test tube or culture dish and just kind of wait to see what happens.  Is it possible, however crazy it may sound, that "God" just started a science experiment one day 15 billion years ago and is waiting to see what happens?

*brain*

So what odds He's still looking at a planetary petri dish in some other galaxy far, far away..and hasn't actually noticed the culture growing on this one?

Written By: ninny on 12/31/08 at 6:42 am

*brain*

True,whats to say that God did not create Heaven and earth,then let evolution take over.

Written By: wildcard on 12/31/08 at 12:56 pm

Well, I've spent enough time looking for something that doesn't appear to be there: my mind isn't closed to the possibility, but I'm not going to start imagining stuff so that I can fool myself into thinking I've got the answer.
So what odds He's still looking at a planetary petri dish in some other galaxy far, far away..and hasn't actually noticed the culture growing on this one?

so you're open?  I find this funny

Notice the assumption that a creater wasted all their effort. 

Written By: philbo on 12/31/08 at 1:32 pm

so you're open?  I find this funny

Like any scientist, I am able to be swayed by evidence.  I keep an open mind on most things, but not so open my brains fall out.

Notice the assumption that a creater wasted all their effort. 

I suppose that does raise the question of why the creator created - but if we're supposed to be some kind of experiment/culture/living soap opera, why create such an overwhelmingly huge number of unpopulated planets, utterly incapable of supporting life?  The thought that humankind might be the motive, the aim of this creation is such colossal arrogance, given that we're such an infinitesimally small part of it all.

Written By: Jessica on 12/31/08 at 3:17 pm

Like any scientist, I am able to be swayed by evidence.  I keep an open mind on most things, but not so open my brains fall out.
I suppose that does raise the question of why the creator created - but if we're supposed to be some kind of experiment/culture/living soap opera, why create such an overwhelmingly huge number of unpopulated planets, utterly incapable of supporting life?  The thought that humankind might be the motive, the aim of this creation is such colossal arrogance, given that we're such an infinitesimally small part of it all.

To keep the scientists employed.  Duh. ;D

And before you respond, please keep in mind that I'm being a complete smartass about it all. :D

Written By: wildcard on 12/31/08 at 3:42 pm

^ Back up take your assumption out of your question.  There's a section to put your guess ( whats it called)

I've already gave you a thought on why the planets might be there.  

If you've decided that a creator cant be proven so you aren't going to consider it, that's your business.  

Good day

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 5:56 pm

Is what happened not what we choose to believe in. Science proved this one.

Science has not conclusively proved the theory of evolution. Some scientists just write as it is absolute truth...there are a swag of equally eminent scientists that reject the theory.  :)

I personally favour creationism...yet am uncertain if I agree with the biblical timeframe.... :-\\

Written By: philbo on 12/31/08 at 8:42 pm

Science has not conclusively proved the theory of evolution. Some scientists just write as it is absolute truth...there are a swag of equally eminent scientists that reject the theory.  :)

Why do creationists continually misrepresent the scientific viewpoint?

No scientist will talk about "absolute truth" - that's what religious people believe in.  And show me a "scientist" who rejects evolution, and I'll show you someone for whom religion is the driving force, not science.  It's not a question of absolute truth: evolution has happened - unless you can come up with a better explanation for the fossil record; the best explanation for the evidence we see is that lifeforms have changed over the aeons to become what we see today.  To say anything else is to ignore utterly overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

As I have pointed out earlier in this thread, if you think evolution didn't happen, you must try and explain why God put all the fossils in place in the right geological strata to fool us all into thinking that it did.

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 9:14 pm

Why do creationists continually misrepresent the scientific viewpoint?

No scientist will talk about "absolute truth" - that's what religious people believe in.  And show me a "scientist" who rejects evolution, and I'll show you someone for whom religion is the driving force, not science.  It's not a question of absolute truth: evolution has happened - unless you can come up with a better explanation for the fossil record; the best explanation for the evidence we see is that lifeforms have changed over the aeons to become what we see today.  To say anything else is to ignore utterly overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

As I have pointed out earlier in this thread, if you think evolution didn't happen, you must try and explain why God put all the fossils in place in the right geological strata to fool us all into thinking that it did.

I assume that we are talking about the evolution of Man here..... I guess we can talk until we are both blue in the face but I will have to wait until the so-called 'missing link' is found to change my mind... :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/08 at 10:20 pm

I assume that we are talking about the evolution of Man here..... I guess we can talk until we are both blue in the face but I will have to wait until the so-called 'missing link' is found to change my mind... :-\\

I hate to get drawn into a crevo thread, but what "missing link" are you talking about?

Science doesn't assert that we descended from modern-day apes, it asserts that we share a common ancestor with modern-day primates, and over the past two million years, it's found dozens of species that didn't quite cut it.  Some of those species were probably our ancestors, some of them weren't.  Chimpanzees and other primates aren't our ancestors, they're our cousins, several hundred thousand times removed.

Please don't fall for the red herring that evolution requires the nonexistence of God.  It merely assumes it, and to be absolutely pedantic, it assumes only the noninterference of God in the evolution of intelligent lifeforms that inhabit this planet.

The Big Lie of the Creationism industry is that to accept the evidence of one's own eyes (observation) and to use one's capacity to reason (funny, since it's supposedly "God" who gave us these big brains with which we think :) is somehow to deny the existence of God, and that (in another logical fallacy) to deny creationism is to condemn oneself to this God's wrath.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 12:57 am

I hate to get drawn into a crevo thread, but what "missing link" are you talking about?

Science doesn't assert that we descended from modern-day apes, it asserts that we share a common ancestor with modern-day primates, and over the past two million years, it's found dozens of species that didn't quite cut it.  Some of those species were probably our ancestors, some of them weren't.  Chimpanzees and other primates aren't our ancestors, they're our cousins, several hundred thousand times removed.

Please don't fall for the red herring that evolution requires the nonexistence of God.  It merely assumes it, and to be absolutely pedantic, it assumes only the noninterference of God in the evolution of intelligent lifeforms that inhabit this planet.

The Big Lie of the Creationism industry is that to accept the evidence of one's own eyes (observation) and to use one's capacity to reason (funny, since it's supposedly "God" who gave us these big brains with which we think :) is somehow to deny the existence of God, and that (in another logical fallacy) to deny creationism is to condemn oneself to this God's wrath.

Our common ancestor is, in fact, the red herring.  I'm publishing my feces on it next month!
8)

Written By: Mushroom on 01/01/09 at 11:33 am

I would be amazed that humans (as we know them) will be around in 4-11 million years reguardless.  That is simply not how evolution works.

After all, the Homo genus of primates only evolved 7 mya with the evolution of Sahelanthropus tchadensis.  Heck, 11 mya the most advanced ape was probably Dryopithecus, and the chimpanzee had not even evolved yet.  Lucy (Australopithecus) is only removed from us by just over 3.2 my.

Expecting Homo Sapiens to still be around in that kind of time frame is rather arrogant.  Reguardless of what we do, our species will have gone the way of the dodo long before then.

Of course, most people have problems understanding such vast time frames.  And I have used the term "any time now" in here in the past, for the impending super eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.  For the last 17 my, this "hot spot" has moved from Oregon to Montana, leaving the Snake River Plain in it's path.  It erupts in a cycle of roughly every 620,000 years.  And at 640,000 years, it is overdue.

I am much more worried about a supervolcano driving us to extinction then ourselves.  The last major supervolcano event (Toba supevolcano, 75,000 ya) killed 60% of life on Earth, and drove humans to the point of extinction (less then 1,000-10,000 based on genetic information).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 1:54 pm

I would be amazed that humans (as we know them) will be around in 4-11 million years reguardless.  That is simply not how evolution works.

After all, the Homo genus of primates only evolved 7 mya with the evolution of Sahelanthropus tchadensis.  Heck, 11 mya the most advanced ape was probably Dryopithecus, and the chimpanzee had not even evolved yet.  Lucy (Australopithecus) is only removed from us by just over 3.2 my.

Expecting Homo Sapiens to still be around in that kind of time frame is rather arrogant.  Reguardless of what we do, our species will have gone the way of the dodo long before then.

Of course, most people have problems understanding such vast time frames.  And I have used the term "any time now" in here in the past, for the impending super eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera.  For the last 17 my, this "hot spot" has moved from Oregon to Montana, leaving the Snake River Plain in it's path.  It erupts in a cycle of roughly every 620,000 years.  And at 640,000 years, it is overdue.

I am much more worried about a supervolcano driving us to extinction then ourselves.  The last major supervolcano event (Toba supevolcano, 75,000 ya) killed 60% of life on Earth, and drove humans to the point of extinction (less then 1,000-10,000 based on genetic information).

If we got another "Toba," at least we could stop bickering over global warming...and start bickering over who owns the last rotting grain store and the last tub of fresh water!
:o

Written By: philbo on 01/01/09 at 2:04 pm

Thing is, as a species we're doing our best to remove evolutionary pressures: with medicine and in vitro fertilisation of eggs, two of the major causes of "lack of fitness" have been removed.  In today's civilisation, a genetically different Homo species is unlikely to be accepted... that said:

The next spur to a change in order to survive may well come from such an event.  But I don't see even something that calamitous as something that will wipe out humankind completely.

Which missing link were you thinking of exactly?  I know Foo Bar's already asked this question, but it's a fairly important one: the better you can define what you're looking for, the easier it is to be sure when you've found it.

Try and look at this from the scientific rather than the dogmatic viewpoint: what best explains what we can see, both around us at the moment and the fossil record that appears to go back hundreds of millions of years?  Does Genesis really provide an explanation other than to say "God did it", which is no explanation at all?

If we got another "Toba," at least we could stop bickering over global warming..
To be honest, that's one reason why the global warming debate seems so, well, petty: man-made global warming happens.. but the consequences of us reducing emissions are utterly negligible compared to a major volcanic eruption, and once you get to the supervolcano scale... it won't make an infinitesimal let alone a measurable difference what we've done beforehand.  Thing is, that sort of attitude would almost inevitably lead to a "in that case, let's **** the planet before it ****s itself" kind of behaviour.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/01/09 at 4:40 pm

Thing is, as a species we're doing our best to remove evolutionary pressures: with medicine and in vitro fertilisation of eggs, two of the major causes of "lack of fitness" have been removed.  In today's civilisation, a genetically different Homo species is unlikely to be accepted...

But most major changes in evolution come because of drastic changes in the planet.  Supervolcanoes, global climate change, NEO impacts, pandemics, and other theorized events such as the reversal of the polar field, solar flares, changes in earth tilt, and other events.

Our current evolution has occured in a relatively peacefull time in Earth's history.  Roughly 1 million years of little to no major events.  But statistically, our planet is comming due for many of these events to come again.  And the old adage still stands:  Adapt or perish.

The next spur to a change in order to survive may well come from such an event.  But I don't see even something that calamitous as something that will wipe out humankind completely.

But it will happen, and maybe sooner then you think.  99942 Apophis is still due to pass within 30.5 million miles (49 million km) from Earth.  This is below the orbit of most communication satellites.  And it will pass by again in 2036.  While it would have an estimated impact equalling 880 megatons (880,000,000 tons), this is still well below that that caused the KT extinction, an estimated 100 teratons (100,000,000,000,000 tons).  But most estimates still say that if the worst happens, over 10 million people would die directly from impace effects (impact itself, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc), and untold numbers would die from the effects of a 3-10 year "impact winter".  Estimates range from 500 million to 1.5 billion deaths from this.  5-15% of our population.

But thankfully, the odds are that it will pass us safely.  Current estimates say the chance of an impace is only 1 in 12.3 million. 

Personally, I expect mankind to become extinct within the next 500,000 years.  Either we will evolve into something else and "Homo Sapiens Sapiens" will dissapear as Neanderthol and Cromagnum man did, or a catastropic event will lead to our destruction.  And as creatures, we are still evolving.  As a general rule (even withot things like diet), we as a species live longer then we did 20,000 years ago.  We are also taller, and have greater mass (but with a lower body fat count on average). 

And the very things you cite that you claim keeps us from evolving (IVF) actually help keep us evolving.  Gene lines that would normally have become extinct are now allowed to flourish and reproduce into later generations.  This leads to greater genetic diversity, allowing even more evolution.

Written By: philbo on 02/03/09 at 4:56 am

I don't know if you guys over in the States can see this (at least, not without finding a nice UK-based proxy), but well worth a viewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hd5mf/Charles_Darwin_and_the_Tree_of_Life/

Written By: karen on 02/03/09 at 7:40 am

I don't know if you guys over in the States can see this (at least, not without finding a nice UK-based proxy), but well worth a viewing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hd5mf/Charles_Darwin_and_the_Tree_of_Life/

You definitely need to be UK-based - I heard that it can even detect proxy IP addresses. 

Written By: Macphisto on 02/03/09 at 5:53 pm

But it will happen, and maybe sooner then you think.  99942 Apophis is still due to pass within 30.5 million miles (49 million km) from Earth.  This is below the orbit of most communication satellites.  And it will pass by again in 2036.  While it would have an estimated impact equalling 880 megatons (880,000,000 tons), this is still well below that that caused the KT extinction, an estimated 100 teratons (100,000,000,000,000 tons).  But most estimates still say that if the worst happens, over 10 million people would die directly from impace effects (impact itself, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc), and untold numbers would die from the effects of a 3-10 year "impact winter".  Estimates range from 500 million to 1.5 billion deaths from this.  5-15% of our population.

Um...  I'm not sure where you got the orbit numbers from.  Most communication satellites orbit within a much closer distance than what you cited.  Low Earth orbiting ones are usually about 400 km from the Earth's surface.  Molniya orbits are much closer than that as well.

"In October 2005 it was predicted that the asteroid will pass just below the altitude of geosynchronous satellites, which are at 35,786 kilometres (22,236 mi)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

The orbit you mentioned is closer to that of the Earth's average distance to Venus when our planets are close to being aligned.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/09 at 6:02 pm

Um...  I'm not sure where you got the orbit numbers from.  Most communication satellites orbit within a much closer distance than what you cited.  Low Earth orbiting ones are usually about 400 km from the Earth's surface.  Molniya orbits are much closer than that as well.

"In October 2005 it was predicted that the asteroid will pass just below the altitude of geosynchronous satellites, which are at 35,786 kilometres (22,236 mi)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

The orbit you mentioned is closer to that of the Earth's average distance to Venus when our planets are close to being aligned.

And if that asteroid passes 400 km from Earth, we're toast--literally. 

If there's a once in 100,000 years volcanic calamity or we get nailed by a giant asteroid, all bets are off.  Al Gore and the environmentalists are saying we can still change our own activities enough to save ourselves from ourselves. 

John Cornyn and the deniers say we're in no danger at all.

Time LaHaye and the Armageddonists are saying, don't worry about it, the Lord is coming to save the righteous and punish the wicked.

I'm saying none of the above, and the future is...blub blub blub blub....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/jarswim.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/04/09 at 12:29 am

And if that asteroid passes 400 km from Earth, we're toast--literally. 

Sadly, no, it's not big enough, and a near-miss like 400 km is far enough away that it wouldn't be a problem.  At that kind of range, it'd also be close enough that Earth's gravity would most likely fling the thing off into nowheresville, never to bother us again.

I must admit that every time I hear of any rock in the 2+ range of the Torino Scale, only to be subsequently downgraded to a zero, my real-life reaction is exactly the same as Bob the Angry Flower's fictional reaction:

Asteroid 2030 (Warning: Comic strip contains a naughty word.)

A preventable impact by a rock big enough to wipe out a few tens/hundreds of millions of people, but not big enough to create an extinction-level event (just in case we screw up on deflecting it), would be the coolest thing that could ever happen to humanity.  Strong enough motivation that we'd all want to prevent it, ample time to make it happen, and 6 billion people, all of whom realize they've all got skin in the same game.

Check for new replies or respond here...