» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: OBAMARAMA

Written By: danootaandme on 08/28/08 at 8:49 pm

I have watched the past 2 ho hum nights, but tonight is different.  Having regular people, republicans no less, come up and give their stories about why they are voting for Obama is great.  Barney Smith, not Smith Barney...priceless    ;D

Subject: Re: OBAMARAMA

Written By: midnite on 08/28/08 at 8:55 pm

I have watched the past 2 ho hum nights, but tonight is different.  Having regular people, republicans no less, come up and give their stories about why they are voting for Obama is great.  Barney Smith, not Smith Barney...priceless    ;D

Yeah, McCain will also have people coming up and swearing by his goodness.  Its propaganda.

Written By: Jessica on 08/28/08 at 9:58 pm

Man, he threw down the gauntlet tonight.  Rock on.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/28/08 at 10:52 pm

I think it would be hard, if not impossible, for McCain to follow THAT up.  Great speech.

Written By: iquestion on 08/28/08 at 11:11 pm

I think it would be hard, if not impossible, for McCain to follow THAT up.  Great speech.

Obama is for 'change'..'hope',...It all depends on your cause...What would he do about the war? Bring everyone back?
(So he says)...I find it satisfying the upcoming anniversary of 9/11 show NO FURTHER ATTACKS ON OUR SOIL!!!

Why change that?   

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/28/08 at 11:20 pm

I keep getting this image in my head of Charlie Brown talking to some adult character, and all he gets back is "MWA MWA MWA MWAAAAAAAA MWA"...

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/08 at 11:23 pm

Obama is for 'change'..'hope',...It all depends on your cause...What would he do about the war? Bring everyone back?
(So he says)...I find it satisfying the upcoming anniversary of 9/11 show NO FURTHER ATTACKS ON OUR SOIL!!!

Why change that?   

And exactly how many attacks were there on our soil prior to 9/11/01?  I can recall one failed attempt also on the WTC but nothing further so please don't try to argue that this war is somehow saving America from terrorism... there is not enough evidence to say that this war is the reason there have been no more attacks.

Great speech by Barack! I don't know about the rest of you but for me... given my experience in the US (which has not been all positive given my race) it was one of the greatest moments in history that I have personally observed!  I have to admit- although I knew some would try I didn't think we'd get to a point as a nation where I actually believed a black man (or any woman)  could be elected to office.... tonight I felt the possibility and it was great!

I feel for Barack's oldest daughter... I feel like, looking at her she feels tremendous pressure and responsibility.... it's like she's always looking around at the people who are looking at her and thinking about how she should be responding to that.... should I smile here? Should I nod here....oops maybe I should take the mike from my sister now.... When her sis had that mike the first night it was hilarious...but then when she took the mike it was like she was looking for an opening but wasn't sure where to find it.  I hope she'll be okay with all of the scrutiny that will inevitably come her way.

Written By: iquestion on 08/29/08 at 12:09 am

And exactly how many attacks were there on our soil prior to 9/11/01?  I can recall one failed attempt also on the WTC but nothing further so please don't try to argue that this war is somehow saving America from terrorism... there is not enough evidence to say that this war is the reason there have been no more attacks.

Not just on our soil..before Bush there was something called BOSNIA, The Cole attack....
We didn't have an Osama who surfaced with his  jillions of $$, influenced a staff of terrorists, organized them to intelligently attack the US on their own soil?
No other got away with it, now he uses his influence to call for 'DEATH TO AMERICA'..well it hasn't happened so far, and Barack is looking to 'talk'???

With that as the canvass, we now have Obama wanting to 'talk' with potential dangerous leaders- which we ALL know doesn't work...KIM IL? They love ignoring treaties and such.

The torch was given to G. Bush who showed them what we got! Good for him and if it reaches the masses that McCain is ready to fight to win,which he would jump into if/when elected,
we won't have to put up with the OBAMA training period when he has to get pulled aside to the behind the doors Presidential briefings as they 'tell him what the country situation is and what he has on his hands, and now he has to figure to do about it'.

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/08 at 12:46 am

Not just on our soil..before Bush there was something called BOSNIA, The Cole attack....
We didn't have an Osama who surfaced with his  jillions of $$, influenced a staff of terrorists, organized them to intelligently attack the US on their own soil?
No other got away with it, now he uses his influence to call for 'DEATH TO AMERICA'..well it hasn't happened so far, and Barack is looking to 'talk'???

With that as the canvass, we now have Obama wanting to 'talk' with potential dangerous leaders- which we ALL know doesn't work...KIM IL? They love ignoring treaties and such.

The torch was given to G. Bush who showed them what we got! Good for him and if it reaches the masses that McCain is ready to fight to win,which he would jump into if/when elected,
we won't have to put up with the OBAMA training period when he has to get pulled aside to the behind the doors Presidential briefings as they 'tell him what the country situation is and what he has on his hands, and now he has to figure to do about it'.

BUSH is an idiot... McCain it just what we don't more of the same ole same ole.... I'm tired of a White House that doesn't reflect what America looks/thinks like.... you are in the minority my friend...how does it feel to have so many people oppose  your opinion?

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/08 at 1:12 am

I keep getting this image in my head of Charlie Brown talking to some adult character, and all he gets back is "MWA MWA MWA MWAAAAAAAA MWA"...

so Rice are you saying when low iq iquestion talks you here something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeDZ2AYFWE

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/08 at 6:53 am

Why change that? 

One can argue that without bush and his handlers gaffes missteps and outright incompetence  9/11 would not have happened in the first place, and the greenback wouldn't be used for kindling.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/29/08 at 7:14 am

BUSH is an idiot... McCain it just what we don't more of the same ole same ole.... I'm tired of a White House that doesn't reflect what America looks/thinks like.... you are in the minority my friend...how does it feel to have so many people oppose  your opinion?

Snoz, You are so right. I am sick, sick, sick, to death of The Bush mentality, I have been for Obama/ Hillary all along.And I am an Independent

My very first active political experience was volunteering for Jimmy Carter. I think Barak will do just fine what he lacks in foreign policy Joe Biden will make up for. I think it was an excellent selection for VP. The Clintons carry too much baggage.

Like he said the country is "broken" and we need to fix it. Health care abd the economy  are the major things I am concerned about.

Well after ending that stupid war in Iraq. I just think it is a disgrace that these brave Men and Women should have to pull multiple tours of duty.
I come from a family with a proud military heritage, and my Nephew who is all of 25 is being sent back for the third time..... I think fighting for

our safety and ideals are fine but NOT FOR OIL AND PROFIT.
>:(
I knew 8 years ago when we were going to have a Bush and a Dick in the White house it could only lead to trouble.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/29/08 at 10:40 am

If Michelle hit a homer, Barak hit a grand slam.  Great speech and an important moment in history (which I never thought to see).  I was sooo glad that he took the bull by the horns and called Macbush out.  He had, as I said to Cat, fire in his belly last night.  The next few weeks will be very interesting.  Looks like we have another "G.W.Bush2000" in our midst, only less articulate and well reasoned.  Looks like more keyboards at 20 paces.  Here comes the fun.

Written By: Jessica on 08/29/08 at 10:56 am

If Michelle hit a homer, Barak hit a grand slam.  Great speech and an important moment in history (which I never thought to see).  I was sooo glad that he took the bull by the horns and called Macbush out.  He had, as I said to Cat, fire in his belly last night.  The next few weeks will be very interesting.  Looks like we have another "G.W.Bush2000" in our midst, only less articulate and well reasoned.  Looks like more keyboards at 20 paces.  Here comes the fun.

That's what I told Rice last night about Obama finally calling out those two (and Cheney).  Everyone thought he wouldn't (or couldn't) do it, but he did, and rightly so.  I know I was snickering about it. :D

I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of when he delivers speeches.  It finally slapped me in the head last night.  His stance and delivery are reminiscent of Malcolm X.

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/08 at 10:57 am

Ha Ha Carlos made a funny!!! McBush can I use it???

;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/08 at 10:58 am

That's what I told Rice last night about Obama finally calling out those two (and Cheney).  Everyone thought he wouldn't (or couldn't) do it, but he did, and rightly so.  I know I was snickering about it. :D

I was trying to figure out who he reminded me of when he delivers speeches.  It finally slapped me in the head last night.  His stance and delivery are reminiscent of Malcolm X.

ya know he totally reminds me of Bobby Kennedy....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/29/08 at 11:04 am

Obama couldn't hold back a laugh one time...I think he was kind of realizing how awesome he was, and how screwed the GOP would be if people actually bought into his message :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/29/08 at 12:05 pm

In a way...it seems that we had Charlie Brown running in office.

Snoz, You are so right. I am sick, sick, sick, to death of The Bush mentality, I have been for Obama/ Hillary all along.And I am an Independent

My very first active political experience was volunteering for Jimmy Carter. I think Barak will do just fine what he lacks in foreign policy Joe Biden will make up for. I think it was an excellent selection for VP. The Clintons carry too much baggage.

I knew 8 years ago when we were going to have a Bush and a Dick in the White house it could only lead to trouble.

I'm sick of not only the Bush Family, but I'm also sick of the Bush-bashing. The next decade will make it all a fad and some will say 'Bush who...?' or when Bush dies, many Americans will be teary-eyed for him.

And Jimmy Carter? He's the worst idea for Modern-day Democrats and second-worst Democrat next to Buchanan.

My cousin said that the last five Presidential Elections was to vote for the less of two evils...and that was a lie too! And this election is no exception.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/29/08 at 4:07 pm

38 million people watched the speech last night

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/08/record_38_million_watched_obam.php

I watched it live on BBC America.. which isn't even mentioned as a channel that carried it.  Guess I'm weird.

I liked when he said "Eight is Enough" but that's because I'm a pop culture junkie.  He's making a lot of statements he can't possibly fulfill.  Still, what he wants to do is better than anything McCain has said he'd do.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/08 at 4:13 pm

38 million people watched the speech last night

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/08/record_38_million_watched_obam.php

I watched it live on BBC America.. which isn't even mentioned as a channel that carried it.  Guess I'm weird.

I liked when he said "Eight is Enough" but that's because I'm a pop culture junkie.  He's making a lot of statements he can't possibly fulfill.  Still, what he wants to do is better than anything McCain has said he'd do.

We watched it on C-Span last night and as I am typing this, I am listening/downloading it from YouTube. Why am I downloading it? It is historic.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 08/29/08 at 6:32 pm

Why change that?   

Invading Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or terrorism.  It was mostly a case of American intelligence mistakenly believing that Saddam had WMD's.  War profiteering was a good part of it as well.

Basically, to assume that the invasion of Iraq has somehow made us safer is like assuming that your cancer went into remission due to herbal/nutritional supplements.  "My V8 splash cured my breast cancer!"  :D

Written By: iquestion on 08/29/08 at 8:55 pm

Invading Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or terrorism.  It was mostly a case of American intelligence mistakenly believing that Saddam had WMD's.  War profiteering was a good part of it as well.

Basically, to assume that the invasion of Iraq has somehow made us safer is like assuming that your cancer went into remission due to herbal/nutritional supplements.  "My V8 splash cured my breast cancer!"   :D

You mean they couldn't just say, we don't like Saddam anymore? Or WE WANT YOUR OIL?

BUSH POWER CIRCLE: I know, let's say they have WMD's....well, we could fool Mr . Bush, but what about 'the others' they are sooo much smarter than Mr. B....(*case is made*)....Kerry-we have to do something to stop this guy, Clinton- He is dangerous we must take action......any ideas...NO SUGGESTIONS other than MORE sanctions-we tried that and they were never honored.
Bush to Saddam: your butt is mine!

That the short version how the game went. And here we are....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/08 at 11:08 pm

BUSH is an idiot...

Bush is such an idiot he can't even make his own bad decisions!

I kept saw pundits trying to downplay the significance of Obama's acceptance speech.  I think the power establishment is feeling more and more threatened as Dubya's second ill-gotten term winds down!

Written By: iquestion on 08/30/08 at 1:17 am

Bush is such an idiot he can't even make his own bad decisions!

I kept saw pundits trying to downplay the significance of Obama's acceptance speech.  I think the power establishment is feeling more and more threatened as Dubya's second ill-gotten term winds down!

Not sure I'm considered a pundit or just voter?..

Obama- fine, good speaker!... throwing around plans to put $150 billion to move out of the mid east...KEEP DREAMING!
and anyone who is swayed by this..I'll sell you the chunnel...

You don't get good points from me talking about 'rebates' and 'credits'..you best talk about the labor situation and incentives! :P 

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/30/08 at 11:32 am

Ha Ha Carlos made a funny!!! McBush can I use it???

;D

Be my guest.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/30/08 at 11:44 am

Not sure I'm considered a pundit or just voter?..

Obama- fine, good speaker!... throwing around plans to put $150 billion to move out of the mid east...KEEP DREAMING!
and anyone who is swayed by this..I'll sell you the chunnel...

You don't get good points from me talking about 'rebates' and 'credits'..you best talk about the labor situation and incentives! :P 

No, you are no pundit!

You might get more traction by being a bit more factual and a bit less condescending.  Back during the Vietnam war I think it was McCarthy who was asked how to bring the boys home.  He said "on ships".  If you think staying in Iraq for McBush's 100 years is a good idea I'll sell you the Brooklyn bridge.

Barak did talk about the labor situation (make it easier to form unions, enforce labor law etc) and incentives (for employers who keep jobs here, for clean and green technology).  And he idfentified several sources to pay for it all.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/30/08 at 12:19 pm

You mean they couldn't just say, we don't like Saddam anymore? Or WE WANT YOUR OIL?

BUSH POWER CIRCLE: I know, let's say they have WMD's....well, we could fool Mr . Bush, but what about 'the others' they are sooo much smarter than Mr. B....(*case is made*)....Kerry-we have to do something to stop this guy, Clinton- He is dangerous we must take action......any ideas...NO SUGGESTIONS other than MORE sanctions-we tried that and they were never honored.

Some people in Bush's "power circle' put Saddam into power.  Do you think they'd admit to such a disastrous decision?  Saddam was CIA trained and so was Bin Ladin.  If you can't control them anymore kill them.

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/08 at 1:14 pm

I liked when he said "Eight is Enough" but that's because I'm a pop culture junkie.

It shouldn't surprise you that that was my favorite part!

Barak did talk about the labor situation (make it easier to form unions, enforce labor law etc) and incentives (for employers who keep jobs here, for clean and green technology).  And he idfentified several sources to pay for it all.

If he can stop excess spending by the gov't then I am all for it...  I like his approach to education. I think the need for better education apparent just by looking at some people who post inthe00s.... when did spelling and grammar become optional?

And I'm sorry I am tired of people in power paying themselves while the rest of us are struggling to survive.

I'm not sure how one enacts an 10 plan for job that lasts 4 (and hopefully 8 years) although I guess Clinton's Americorps program is still going and he's been out of office for 8 years (I was in Americorps from 1994 - 96)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/08 at 1:22 pm

It shouldn't surprise you that that was my favorite part!

If he can stop excess spending by the gov't then I am all for it...  I like his approach to education. I think the need for better education apparent just by looking at some people who post inthe00s.... when did spelling and grammar become optional?

And I'm sorry I am tired of people in power paying themselves while the rest of us are struggling to survive.

I'm not sure how one enacts an 10 plan for job that lasts 4 (and hopefully 8 years) although I guess Clinton's Americorps program is still going and he's been out of office for 8 years (I was in Americorps from 1994 - 96)

If programs work, they will be around for a long time-look at Social Security-even though Dubya tried to destroy that, too-but because it does work (well, it could work better but that is beside the point), people are not willing to let it go.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 08/30/08 at 1:37 pm

I liked when he said he would go through the budget line by line.  I was thinking of putting that idea to my city council.  Let's count the number of  SUVs and gas cards and get rid of a few of them.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/30/08 at 9:26 pm

While it is true that there was a lot of talk of intervention leading up to the invasion of Iraq, the fact that the Democrats were also duped at one point doesn't really support Bush's mistake of unilateral invasion.

Basically, all it tells us is that interventionism is often a very stupid approach to issues.

Written By: iquestion on 08/30/08 at 10:51 pm

While it is true that there was a lot of talk of intervention leading up to the invasion of Iraq, the fact that the Democrats were also duped at one point doesn't really support Bush's mistake of unilateral invasion.

Basically, all it tells us is that interventionism is often a very stupid approach to issues.

No matter what takes place, I'd be for putting on the helmet an tell whomever????...radicals , countries...-if you try ANYTHING......we eliminate you, the radicals or anyone who dares challenge us...
I think it will be clear enough to them.

No planning, restructuring....war hog? No, defender of life and liberty.

WHOOOOOOYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Davester on 08/31/08 at 3:11 am

No matter what takes place, I'd be for putting on the helmet an tell whomever????...radicals , countries...-if you try ANYTHING......we eliminate you, the radicals or anyone who dares challenge us...

No matter

Again, with enthusiasm...

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/08 at 5:32 am

Sadaam wasn't a threat to the United States.  There weren't weapons of mass destruction.  HE wasn't responsible for 9/11. He was an enemy of bin laden, remember him?  bush squandered everything going after sadaam, and said let bin laden cake walk his way home.  bush and co was more concerned about getting their war profits than getting the man responsible for all the people who died, and continue to die, as a result of 9/11.  Your hero ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 08/31/08 at 7:13 am

Um...  that's a great way to turn the world against you...  not just radicals.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/31/08 at 7:28 am

I'm sick of not only the Bush Family, but I'm also sick of the Bush-bashing. The next decade will make it all a fad and some will say 'Bush who...?' or when Bush dies, many Americans will be teary-eyed for him.

And Jimmy Carter? He's the worst idea for Modern-day Democrats and second-worst Democrat next to Buchanan.

My cousin said that the last five Presidential Elections was to vote for the less of two evils...and that was a lie too! And this election is no exception.

I for one will not be teary eyed when he dies, neither was I for Reagan, or Nixion.
Granted Jimmy Carter was not the best president in the world, but  he wasn't the worst either.I was very young and it was my first political experience. And did not want Ford for a second term.

And Bush bashing is just plain old fun, he gives us so much material.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/31/08 at 9:28 am

Rather see Linus running.

Nope, I won't be crying for Bush.

Buchanan was not a bad president considering the crap he had to deal with.  Jimmy Carter wasn't as corrupt as some and he's pretty level-headed.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/31/08 at 11:35 am

Welcome to World War Three.  With the U.S. playing the part of the evil empire.  Clearly, we have a right to defend our sovereignty and our interests, but so does every other nation on the planet.  The trick, of course, is to resolve clashes in a win win way, which is often possible with a bit of forethought and an appreciation for the other guy's point of view.  If "life and liberty" are at stake, that's one thing, but usually they are not.  And in the current case, Iraq threatened neither.  Bin Laden, (or is it Bin Forgotten?) did.

As to Jimmy Carter, his biggest failing was to over estimate the ability of the military when he sent them to get the hostages.  That, of course, is a long story going back to the overthrow of Mosedeg (?) and the imposition of the Shah, the first so called CIA "success". 

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/31/08 at 11:47 am

Rather see Linus running.

Nope, I won't be crying for Bush.

Buchanan was not a bad president considering the crap he had to deal with.  Jimmy Carter wasn't as corrupt as some and he's pretty level-headed.

I for one will not be teary eyed when he dies, neither was I for Reagan, or Nixion.
Granted Jimmy Carter was not the best president in the world, but  he wasn't the worst either.I was very young and it was my first political experience. And did not want Ford for a second term.

And Bush bashing is just plain old fun, he gives us so much material.

So you're saying "Face it, Bush is the worst of the bunch"?

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/08 at 2:26 pm

What...he isn't?

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/31/08 at 2:45 pm

What...he isn't?

Depends on who you ask.

If you ask a Liberal, he'll say "Hell, yes".
If you ask a Conservative, he'll say "Hell, no".
If you ask me, I'll say "We've had worse, but he's done a lot of bone-head moves".

Written By: iquestion on 09/01/08 at 2:26 am

Sadaam wasn't a threat to the United States.  There weren't weapons of mass destruction.  HE wasn't responsible for 9/11. He was an enemy of bin laden, remember him?  bush squandered everything going after sadaam, and said let bin laden cake walk his way home.  bush and co was more concerned about getting their war profits than getting the man responsible for all the people who died, and continue to die, as a result of 9/11.  Your hero ::)

Did a little research..did you know or follow...the no WMD excuse came up 2 years after the war started...the Dems and Libss started bringing whatever they thought of next, into the mix.. the editorials are out there..this isn't just 'my' talking...they exist and are there as fact.

(Lightening up on any emotions that sound condescending..I'm watching it).. 

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/01/08 at 3:12 am

No he just belongs with them.. The terrible trio

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/08 at 12:14 pm

No he just belongs with them.. The terrible trio

The only other President that may be even worse than Bush is Warren G. Harding.

Teapot Dome, Laundering, Affairs, you name it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/02/08 at 2:37 pm

Slightly worse than Hoover.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/08 at 4:10 pm

I don't know, Buchanan rates in my book as worse than Harding

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/02/08 at 5:40 pm

I don't know, Buchanan rates in my book as worse than Harding

True. Any President between Jackson and Grant (with the exception of Lincoln) are considered bad leaders. Many would say even as bad as Bush.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/02/08 at 10:13 pm

By most historians, Buchanan is ranked as the worst president.

Granted, Grant, Harding, Hoover, Coolidge, and Nixon are all typically cited as being pretty horrible in their own respects.  Bush is bad, but he's not quite on the level of bad that these guys are.

Scary, isn't it?

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/08 at 10:15 am

By most historians, Buchanan is ranked as the worst president.

Granted, Grant, Harding, Hoover, Coolidge, and Nixon are all typically cited as being pretty horrible in their own respects.  Bush is bad, but he's not quite on the level of bad that these guys are.

Scary, isn't it?

I have direct experience of only Tricky Dicky, and I would say that Bush has been worse.  After all, Nixon got caught and was hounded from office.  What Bush has done to the Constitution is at least as bad but he's getting away with it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/03/08 at 1:16 pm

I have direct experience of only Tricky Dicky, and I would say that Bush has been worse.  After all, Nixon got caught and was hounded from office.  What Bush has done to the Constitution is at least as bad but he's getting away with it.

The Constitution in a way has became worthless since 1920. Bush is just making this 'Mission Accomplished'.

I mentioned this before and I'll mention this again...I don't like Bush as much as I used to.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/03/08 at 5:52 pm

Oh pleaseeee don't get me started on the "shrubbie". Can he even spell constitution? 8-P

Written By: iquestion on 09/06/08 at 12:01 am

Notice how Obama is looking fishier every day?

NY Times has done some recent articles about him and his road to get in the race..

From what I heard, he was a lecturer at a BIG University?..Why didn't he ever get published with anything? How many people lecture and NEVER publish..you would think there is 'something' to write and be seen and heard in such a position!

And Mr. Community organizer??? People are using THIS to hang their hats on?

I'M A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER..oh, I don't get paid but to call oneself this when trying to win votes...

By the way..notice how his numbers have really gone down since the con-vention?

Can you say EMPORERS NEW CLOTHES??

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/06/08 at 12:16 am

NY Times has done some recent articles about him and his road to get in the race..

From what I heard, he was a lecturer at a BIG University?..Why didn't he ever get published with anything? How many people lecture and NEVER publish..you would think there is 'something' to write and be seen and heard in such a position!

I'M A COMMUNITY ORGANIZER..oh, I don't get paid but to call oneself this when trying to win votes...

Is this actually important stuff? 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/08 at 12:57 am

Is this actually important stuff?  

Probably not :P

Written By: Macphisto on 09/06/08 at 9:00 am

Similar complaints could be made about Palin.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/06/08 at 11:10 am

At most universities Lecturers are not expected to publish since they are typically part time and teach only one or two classes in their area of expertise.  Further, in some fields publication isn't the best gauge of accomplishment while practice in the profession is.

Written By: iquestion on 09/06/08 at 3:05 pm

At most universities Lecturers are not expected to publish since they are typically part time and teach only one or two classes in their area of expertise.  Further, in some fields publication isn't the best gauge of accomplishment while practice in the profession is.

Whether it means anything or not..I am pointing out that many will be disappointed when they find out what they are really  getting with Obama..

Anyone else use the figures to decide something is going on?

i.e. Since the convention Obama has lost support instead of garnered it.

More revelations on its way I'm sure.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/08 at 3:43 pm

Whether it means anything or not..I am pointing out that many will be disappointed when they find out what they are really  getting with Obama..

The polls don't mean anything. There only poll that matters is taken on Nov. 4th.

As for figures, try keeping score with McCain. You will see that A LOT of things don't add up with him.

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/08 at 3:44 pm

???   He raised like $15M after Palin was chosen as VP...but you're probably right, that's quite a paltry sum, what crappy support he has now.

Written By: iquestion on 09/06/08 at 5:18 pm

???   He raised like $15M after Palin was chosen as VP...but you're probably right, that's quite a paltry sum, what crappy support he has now.

And why do you think he raised the money?..he's running scared! We gotta do more cause she is gonna get us if we don't promote ourselves!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/08 at 5:20 pm

What the heck, we've lived through bush(knock on wood, he ain't gone yet)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/08 at 5:31 pm

And why do you think he raised the money?..he's running scared! We gotta do more cause she is gonna get us if we don't promote ourselves!

He has it set up so you can make online donations at any time.  So I guess all his supporters are the ones who are scared...

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/06/08 at 7:54 pm

You get those emails too?  Are these the same ones that said he was a Muslim extremist as well? 

Heres something you should question, stupid republican smear campaigns.  If you question, why dont you question both sides.  But alas, we know your true feelings.  So don't expect me to really believe this.  If I want to find it out, I will go research it on my own.     

Sounds like you are scared that Obama will be President.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 10:55 am

What the heck, we've lived through bush(knock on wood, he ain't gone yet)

Or, we've lived through wood, knock on bush!
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/07/08 at 11:01 am

He was able to raise the money because lots of people contrtibuted, probably because they can't stand the idea of McBush/Palin in office.  Of course he needs to promote his candidacy, that's what political campaigns are about! 

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/08 at 11:24 am

um....doesn't he have like two books that have been published?

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/07/08 at 11:57 am

He was able to raise the money because lots of people contrtibuted, probably because they can't stand the idea of McBush/Palin in office.  Of course he needs to promote his candidacy, that's what political campaigns are about! 

I call it McBush/Ms. Cheney.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/07/08 at 2:35 pm

Jesus was a community organizer - Palin pissed off a whole lot of community organizers
by: aappundit
Thu Sep 04, 2008 at 19:02:09 PM EDT

Jesus was a community organizer and Pontius Pilate was a Governor

Pontius Pilate was the Roman governor of Judaea from 26 CE to 36 CE; in this capacity, he was responsible for the execution of Jesus of Nazareth.

I don't know why Sarah Palin hates community organizers. But then again, maybe I do. it's like Jack Turner at Jack and Jill Politics said, the  GOP Attack On Community Organizers Proves Hate For Poor People.

You know, Sarah Palin may have united the Republican Party last night around her mocking and ridiculing community organizng, but she sure did not make many friends in Black America or for that matter the people who work daily in community organizing efforts throughout America. People in urban, rural, and surburban communities accross America. Great people of all races, colors, backgrounds and ethnic groups orgnizing around issues important to local communities.
No Sarah Palin thinks community organizers are silly and frivolous as she and other Republicans,attacked Barack Obama's experience as a community organizer. "What in God's name is a community organizer?" asked George Pataki at a breakfast."What do they do?" Giuliani implored during his speech last night. then Sarah Palin, in her address, said, "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities." Well folks across America community organizers are now organizing themselves. John Raskin of the West Side of Manhattan, founder of Community Organizers of America, has already launched a Web site (Community Organizers Fight Back) demanding that Palin apologize for her and other Republicans sarcastic remarks about community organizing. I doubt if the Ms. America wanabe will apologize. Let's wait and see. I'm glad some people are defending community organizers.

Yes, the Republican assault of community organizing was a slap in the face to hundreds of thousands of Americans, past and present,  who have given their life in the name of organizing people towards political, social and economic change in local communities across America. Kevin Myles, Witchita NAACP Branch President said it best when he wrote in a post, "Organizers are often the voice of the voiceless, the inescapable presence of those too often ignored, and the lightning rod for the untoward."

This Palin Attack on Community Organizers is just the beginning folks. I guess Matt Stoller is right, Republicans Hate Community Organizers Because Hate Is All They Know.

www.organizersfightback.wordpress.com/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/08 at 3:10 pm

^ I pointed this out about Rotten Rudy.  I wouldn't even want some damn insincere apology.  Just let it be.  It shows them up for the pigs that they are!
::)

These assclowns are out there repeating the same old GOP cliches that have brought the world nothing but grief for 30 years.

Written By: iquestion on 09/07/08 at 3:43 pm

You get those emails too?  Are these the same ones that said he was a Muslim extremist as well? 

Heres something you should question, stupid republican smear campaigns.  If you question, why dont you question both sides.  But alas, we know your true feelings.  So don't expect me to really believe this.  If I want to find it out, I will go research it on my own.     

Sounds like you are scared that Obama will be President.

As mentioned when I first began messageboarding I am on the right....

I'm hanging on to chosing the more experienced one.

In brief, I use this as my yardstick:
I want a president who'll know how to deal with the situations in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and other places where U.S. lives and interests are in deep, deep trouble. I want a president who'll work for a fairer distribution of the tax burden, who'll curb needless spending and bring down the deficit, who'll do something about the inefficiency and prohibitive expense of health care in this country, who'll approach environmental issues without the fear of costing some corporation a smidgen of profit, and who'll defend the Constitution and the Rule of Law and basic human rights for all.

Will Obama deliver or McCain?

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/07/08 at 4:06 pm

I want a president who'll know how to deal with the situations in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and other places where U.S. lives and interests are in deep, deep trouble. I want a president who'll work for a fairer distribution of the tax burden, who'll curb needless spending and bring down the deficit, who'll do something about the inefficiency and prohibitive expense of health care in this country, who'll approach environmental issues without the fear of costing some corporation a smidgen of profit, and who'll defend the Constitution and the Rule of Law and basic human rights for all.

Good points. 

We shall see. 

I wont vote Republican because I dont think they really have the countries interests at heart.  Nor do I think they really care about human rights for all. 

Written By: Macphisto on 09/07/08 at 5:12 pm

Supporting McCain is more understandable than supporting Palin.  The problem is that McCain may not live through even his first term.

Iraq would be best dealt with by leaving, but neither candidate is going to do that.  Iran is best dealt with by leaving them alone, but again, neither candidate will do that either.  Afghanistan is best dealt with by devoting more troops to it, but Obama has shown more interest in that than McCain.

A fairer distribution of the tax burden is a completely subjective topic.  What one person considers fair is what another considers unjust.

As for dealing with healthcare, socialization is about the only option we have, and Obama supports that.

Obama is definitely more environmentally friendly than McCain.

As for defending the Constitution, both candidates have their strengths and weaknesses.  McCain is more interested in defending gun rights, while Obama is more interested in defending human rights (as in not supporting torture of people who have not even been given the due process of law).

Written By: iquestion on 09/07/08 at 5:41 pm

On a side note....(HEALTHCARE)....Will there be a time we eliminate the abuse of the system?

ie..at least getting some payment back from someone who couldn't afford it or will we have to pay more to cover those who use services without any payment.

I knew a guy( a 'slick' worker in the telemarketing industry-who wold brag how he sold $100's to offices when they weren't even his client)..he went in for kidney trouble/siezure
When he was all better, he laughed at the bill of $85,000 saying-just throw it away, they won't be getting it from me!

Told anotherof this abuse and they shrugged saying, they can't get blood from a turnip...(so there again, DECENT WAGE EARNERS ARE PAYING HIS SHARE)...   

Sorry if this doesn't fit directly,..it'ds more of a question/complaint on healthcare.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/08 at 12:14 am

On a side note....(HEALTHCARE)....Will there be a time we eliminate the abuse of the system?

ie..at least getting some payment back from someone who couldn't afford it or will we have to pay more to cover those who use services without any payment.

I knew a guy( a 'slick' worker in the telemarketing industry-who wold brag how he sold $100's to offices when they weren't even his client)..he went in for kidney trouble/siezure
When he was all better, he laughed at the bill of $85,000 saying-just throw it away, they won't be getting it from me!

Told anotherof this abuse and they shrugged saying, they can't get blood from a turnip...(so there again, DECENT WAGE EARNERS ARE PAYING HIS SHARE)...     

Sorry if this doesn't fit directly,..it'ds more of a question/complaint on healthcare.

That's a typical kind of anectdote designed to get the working classes resenting one another while throwing a smokescreen over the real problems with our healthcare kleptocracy.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/08/08 at 10:03 am

I was a telemarketer for a little while,never met a more dishonest, slimey, and shadier bunch of people in my entire life.
I worked in the so called fund raising end of telemarketing.It makes me so mad when I see cars with multiple stickers from  people  sending in donations... 85% of the money raised goes into the pockets of the telemarketing company, not to law enforcement charities they are supposedly represent.( I do love it when they call my house though).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/08 at 12:16 pm

I was a telemarketer for a little while,never met a more dishonest, slimey, and shadier bunch of people in my entire life.
I worked in the so called fund raising end of telemarketing.It makes me so mad when I see cars with multiple stickers from  people  sending in donations... 85% of the money raised goes into the pockets of the telemarketing company, not to law enforcement charities they are supposedly represent.( I do love it when they call my house though).

There is a website (can't think of it off-hand) that will break down how much of a charity's $$$$ goes into programs, administration costs, & fundraisers. I have worked (as a volunteer) in the not-for-profit sector so I do understand that you have some overhead. I also know that it does cost a bit for fundraisers, too. It really bugs me how some "not-for-profit" has about 50% or higher of their income going into admin/fundraisers. I usually set the standard of 10% or so for overhead and at least 80%-90% on programs. What really pisses me off is that I will give to an organization and then I get call after call after call not to mention junk mail after junk mail from that organization asking for more! I wish that they would have a limit to solicitation-say you gave in January, they will not contact you again until the following Jan. or something like that. But they usually contact you again before the ink has even dried on your check.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/08/08 at 3:43 pm

Here is an interesting site.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 09/08/08 at 4:58 pm

It's a valid issue.  Illegal immigrants are inflicting plenty of costs on our system as well.

However, the irony of our situation is that a socialized system handles unexpected costs better than the current mostly privatized one.  When a system is already in place that spreads costs among a large pool of people, it keeps individual costs down.  Without this mechanism in place, private institutions must charge ever higher rates to essentially anticipate more unforeseen costs.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/08/08 at 4:59 pm

Here is an interesting site.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Cat

This is my #1 source for predicting the election.  Realclearpolitics.com is another good one.

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/08/08 at 10:25 pm

There is a website (can't think of it off-hand) that will break down how much of a charity's $$$$ goes into programs, administration costs, & fundraisers. I have worked (as a volunteer) in the not-for-profit sector so I do understand that you have some overhead. I also know that it does cost a bit for fundraisers, too. It really bugs me how some "not-for-profit" has about 50% or higher of their income going into admin/fundraisers. I usually set the standard of 10% or so for overhead and at least 80%-90% on programs. What really pisses me off is that I will give to an organization and then I get call after call after call not to mention junk mail after junk mail from that organization asking for more! I wish that they would have a limit to solicitation-say you gave in January, they will not contact you again until the following Jan. or something like that. But they usually contact you again before the ink has even dried on your check.

Cat

One telemarketing place I worked at in Ct, would sponsor shows of old bands with like one original member, and they would say " we are raising money for Fishkill (I swear to God) PBA, there are having a show at wherever featuring The Vogues. For a donation I can send you two tickets to the show and a decal for your car". Most of the places we called were upstate N.Y. and a couple of times I actually got people I knew come up on the dialer. Now they would purchase lists of phone numbers, but we were never supposed to call someone until 6 months after ther donation to hit them up again. They are known as "Taps". We also would do ghost calling, which is the computer puts in a certain area code and exchange and dials sequentially. That is how I ended up speaking to Al Pacino, and it was him.. I was like how do you spell that name again.. I was so flustered he said "Calm down dear". He pledged 15$, but sent in like 300$.. It was my largest return ever. He has a place in Rockland Cty.

What the place would do was they would give a huge tap like that to the sales guys to hit up in 6 months, but they did it more often then 6 months they would call these people like every month!!!
So much iilegal stuff goes down, like you can't tell the people you work for Fishkill PBA you have to tell them you work with Fishkill PBA. But the sales guys would let these people think they were cops.And the people would donate.
Anyway sorry I kinda got off topic there.

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/09/08 at 1:55 am

The Real Scoop

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/09/08 at 9:22 am

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/political-pictures-john-mccain-america-creepy-grandpa.jpg

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/09/08 at 11:35 am

It's a valid issue.  Illegal immigrants are inflicting plenty of costs on our system as well.

However, the irony of our situation is that a socialized system handles unexpected costs better than the current mostly privatized one.  When a system is already in place that spreads costs among a large pool of people, it keeps individual costs down.  Without this mechanism in place, private institutions must charge ever higher rates to essentially anticipate more unforeseen costs.

We've debated his issue before, and it deserves its own thread, but there is evidence, hard to quantify, that illegals actually contribute more than they soak up since they do pay taxes but try to avoid the system.  Yoiu also need to add the value of the work they do at substandard wages to their contribution.

IO too favor a national health care system, rather than our sickness care system.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/09/08 at 6:17 pm

We've debated his issue before, and it deserves its own thread, but there is evidence, hard to quantify, that illegals actually contribute more than they soak up since they do pay taxes but try to avoid the system.  Yoiu also need to add the value of the work they do at substandard wages to their contribution.

IO too favor a national health care system, rather than our sickness care system.

Illegals do add to our economy, but most of the sources I've read state that illegals cost the U.S. about $10 billion annually.  That's not that much considering there are probably about 15 million of them here.  So yeah, they don't cost nearly as much as what an actually effective wall on the border would cost.

I really don't have a problem with illegals coming here or even using our healthcare, but they do pretty much add to the urgency of socializing our healthcare.

Written By: SemperYoda on 09/10/08 at 11:30 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/10/uselections2008.barackobama

Interesting question.  I know this shouldn't be a guarantee that Obama should be elected.   But seriously, how will America be seen in the world after this election?  The right would have you believe that it doesn't matter what they think, we are America, big and bad. 

However, can we truly go down this path?  What happens when we are seen as no better than the old Soviet Union?

I will take my chance and vote for someone who gives inspiration and hope.  We have yet to see if it is false rhetoric and promises, but I think that Obama has the drive to move us forward and repair our status in the world. 

Written By: Macphisto on 09/10/08 at 9:04 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/10/uselections2008.barackobama

Interesting question.  I know this shouldn't be a gauruntee that Obama should be elected.   But seriously, how will America be seen in the world after this election?  The right would have you believe that it doesn't matter what they think, we are America, big and bad. 

However, can we truely go down this path?  What happens when we are seen as no better than the old Soviet Union?

I will take my chance and vote for someone who gives inspiration and hope.  We have yet to see if it is false rhetoric and promises, but I think that Obama has the drive to move us forward and repair our status in the world. 

I would agree that electing the McCain/Palin ticket will likely condemn our image even further.

But then again, I have a feeling America is on its way out anyway.  Our primacy is declining as countries like China rise.  It's only a matter of time before the U.S. loses its superpower status and the world will become multi-polar in its distribution of power.

America's future involves falling to the South Korean standard of living.  We'll still live better than the majority of the world does, but Western Europe, Australia, and Canada will be living considerably better than us.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/08 at 4:26 am

I would agree that electing the McCain/Palin ticket will likely condemn our image even further.

But then again, I have a feeling America is on its way out anyway.  Our primacy is declining as countries like China rise.  It's only a matter of time before the U.S. loses its superpower status and the world will become multi-polar in its distribution of power.

America's future involves falling to the South Korean standard of living.  We'll still live better than the majority of the world does, but Western Europe, Australia, and Canada will be living considerably better than us.

Totally agree.  I remember a long time ago, wish I could remember the particulars, a guy wrote a book about how all great empires follow a pattern.  He said then that the USA was on the decline. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/11/08 at 1:44 pm

Totally agree.  I remember a long time ago, wish I could remember the particulars, a guy wrote a book about how all great empires follow a pattern.  He said then that the USA was on the decline. 

Of course! We have been declining for awhile and like Egypt, Rome, Greece, China, and England, we must feel the falter too.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/12/08 at 12:08 pm

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers.  His last name was Kennedy if memory serves.  I'm not sure that multi polarity is such a bad thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...