» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Happy Fourth.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/08 at 12:02 am

"''If bin Laden takes over and becomes king of Saudi Arabia, he'd turn off the tap,' said Roger Diwan, a managing director of the Petroleum Finance Company, a consulting firm in Washington. ''He said at one point that he wants oil to be $144 a barrel'' -- about six times what it sells for now."
  - Roger Diwan, as quoted in the New York Times, October 21, 2001

"Brent North Sea crude for August delivery climbed 1.06 dollars to 145.32 dollars from its record close of 144.26 in London on Wednesday, when it broke the 144 level for the first time.  New York's benchmark contract, light sweet crude for August delivery, hit an intra-day record price of 144.61 dollars. By late afternoon, it was 96 cents higher at 144.53 against a record close of 143.57 dollars in the US Wednesday."
  - Yesterday's AFP newsfeed, July 3, 2008

Mission Accomplished.  The Terrorists Have Won.  Happy Fourth.

Subject: Re: Happy Fourth.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/08 at 11:00 am

Yeah, happy Independence Day to you too!
:-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/04/08 at 1:24 pm

More like "Mission Failed".

What's worse is now Viacom is acting like Big Brother. (See my rant about it.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/08 at 2:12 pm

Yeah, happy Independence Day to you too!
:-\\

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7920/coyotethreadnw4.jpg

Hey, we're supposed to have fireworks today, right? :)

Written By: saver on 07/04/08 at 11:16 pm

Is the country doing a PR stunt?

If those protestors we see on TV all day today were speaking for the Americans who think the war is not right and unwanted: DID YOU SEE THE NUMBERS OF SOLDIERS 'RE-ENLISTING'? 

Argue THAT!

Written By: Davester on 07/05/08 at 2:12 am

Is the country doing a PR stunt?

If those protestors we see on TV all day today were speaking for the Americans who think the war is not right and unwanted: DID YOU SEE THE NUMBERS OF SOLDIERS 'RE-ENLISTING'?   

Argue THAT!

Who knows why they reenlist.  Maybe it's for the free eats...

Written By: saver on 07/05/08 at 3:11 pm

Who knows why they reenlist.  Maybe it's for the free eats...

I side with, they believe what they are fighting for - 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/08 at 4:13 pm

"And it's 1-2-3-4 what are we fightin' for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam!
No time to wonder why,
WHOOPEEE! We're all gonna die!"

--Country Joe.

8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/07/08 at 4:19 pm

"And it's 1-2-3-4 what are we fightin' for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam!
No time to wonder why,
WHOOPEEE! We're all gonna die!"

--Country Joe.

8)

Some people are comparing this war to Vietnam.  It's interesting to see that Hawks and Doves still have the same rhetoric.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/07/08 at 5:57 pm

True...  It's great that our soldiers are as enthusiastic as they are.  It's basically their job to be persistent as hell.  However, since those of us outside of the military are not pressed with the same requirements for duty as they are, we have both the luxury and responsibility to carefully decide how much longer we should stay in Iraq.

All the enthusiasm and determination in the world still cannot escape a few harsh realities involved here...  One is that we can't afford to stay much longer.  The other is that Iran will inevitably wield a lot more influence in Iraq once we leave.

Written By: Davester on 07/07/08 at 6:10 pm

True...  It's great that our soldiers are as enthusiastic as they are.  It's basically their job to be persistent as hell.  However, since those of us outside of the military are not pressed with the same requirements for duty as they are, we have both the luxury and responsibility to carefully decide how much longer we should stay in Iraq.

America's soldiers should be used to defend America.  Conspicuously unjust war is counterproductive on so many national levels, including the mental readiness of our troops to actually defend the country and not an elite cabal...

All the enthusiasm and determination in the world still cannot escape a few harsh realities involved here...  One is that we can't afford to stay much longer.  The other is that Iran will inevitably wield a lot more influence in Iraq once we leave.

True...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/08 at 11:25 pm

Some people are comparing this war to Vietnam.  It's interesting to see that Hawks and Doves still have the same rhetoric.

It's just that I didn't want to change the lyric to "next stop is Iran" because it throws off the rhythm!
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...