» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama Proposes Expansion of Bush's Faith-Based Charity Initiative

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/08 at 6:47 pm

I saw some stories today where Obama is proposing to expand the scope of the faith-based service provider program that Bush initiated, and that he also advocates that said charities should be able to discriminate for employment purposes in aspects of their operations that are separate from the government-funded ops.

Oh the horror!  Will we see the same outrage that we heard when Bush proposed his (smaller scale) program? ???

This cat Obama is interesting indeed...  Not sure if I will vote for him or not, but I am liking his style...

Subject: Re: Obama Proposes Expansion of Bush's Faith-Based Charity Initiative

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/08 at 7:01 pm

No surprise here.  Obama is a religious guy.  I happen to be hesitant to mix church and state at all whether it's Bush or Obama proposing it.    I would stipulate a stringent prohibition against any kind of ecclesiastical requirements of recipients of aid from faith-based organizations if the organization is receiving any government funds.  No saying, "You're gay, so you can't help out in the kitchen" or "You're a Muslim, no soup for you!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

I hope Obama doesn't think he needs to bend over backwards to court evangelicals (or bend over forwards in the case of Ted Haggard) because it's time for the evangelicals to lose their political clout.  Too much avarice and hypocrisy on their part.  Let them come back when they learn how to practice what Jesus preached.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/08 at 7:15 pm

No surprise here.  Obama is a religious guy.  I happen to be hesitant to mix church and state at all whether it's Bush or Obama proposing it.    I would stipulate a stringent prohibition against any kind of ecclesiastical requirements of recipients of aid from faith-based organizations if the organization is receiving any government funds.  No saying, "You're gay, so you can't help out in the kitchen" or "You're a Muslim, no soup for you!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

I hope Obama doesn't think he needs to bend over backwards to court evangelicals (or bend over forwards in the case of Ted Haggard) because it's time for the evangelicals to lose their political clout.  Too much avarice and hypocrisy on their part.  Let them come back when they learn how to practice what Jesus preached.

Both the Bush and Obama programs strictly prohibit discrimination in the providing of services funded by the govt bux...

Written By: Macphisto on 07/01/08 at 8:20 pm

Allowing churches to provide social services is ok with me, but not when it involves government money.  The separation of church and state should always take precedence.

This is definitely a mark against Obama in my book.

Then again, I know why he's doing it.  He's trying to woo the Religious Right.  It's a politically smart move, but I seriously hope he isn't going to go through with this....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/08 at 9:34 pm

Allowing churches to provide social services is ok with me, but not when it involves government money.  The separation of church and state should always take precedence.

This is definitely a mark against Obama in my book.

Keep that book open and on your desk, you're gonna need it!

:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/02/08 at 7:41 am

Both the Bush and Obama programs strictly prohibit discrimination in the providing of services funded by the govt bux...

It is impossible for a "faith-base" organization not to discriminate.  Most Christian denominations are against homosexuality.  They can not practice their faith without discrimination.  That is the main problem of faith based programs.

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/08 at 9:15 am

No representation without taxation!!!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/02/08 at 1:15 pm

I think that's the only thing Bush and Obama agree on.

So I wouldn't be surprised that the two of them would sit together during Religious services that ex-presidents would be seen at.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/02/08 at 1:24 pm

I think that's the only thing Bush and Obama agree on.

So I wouldn't be surprised that the two of them would sit together during Religious services that ex-presidents would be seen at.

The picture of religious harmony. :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/02/08 at 10:54 pm

No representation without taxation!!!

Hey, it'd beat the hell out of the "No representation with taxation" system that we have today :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/08 at 10:59 pm

Hey, it'd beat the hell out of the "No representation with taxation" system that we have today :)

"If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band.
If you wanna borrow money, you gotta pay the man!"
--Rocky Balboa.

That's the system we have today!

No pay-the-man, no representation.  If you have the green, you can make the scene...Sssssmokin!

Sometimes it feels like we're being governed by Stanley Ipkiss!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/08 at 11:38 pm

"If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band.
If you wanna borrow money, you gotta pay the man!"
--Rocky Balboa.

That's the system we have today!

No pay-the-man, no representation.  If you have the green, you can make the scene...Sssssmokin!

Sometimes it feels like we're being governed by Stanley Ipkiss!
::)

;D I'd forgotten Stanley Ipkiss.

Regardless, if churches and such like what to become involved in Government and Public Policy then it's time that they didn't have tax exempt status, same with Faith based initiatives. If the government is involved in the church then the church needs to be paying taxes.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/03/08 at 6:54 pm

;D I'd forgotten Stanley Ipkiss.

Regardless, if churches and such like what to become involved in Government and Public Policy then it's time that they didn't have tax exempt status, same with Faith based initiatives. If the government is involved in the church then the church needs to be paying taxes.

Bravo, however the Religious Right would bitch and moan saying it doesn't apply to them.  After all "One Nation Under God"  they represent God's.  Render onto Cesar  what is Cesar's Render unto God what is God's.  Of course there is that problem of demanding faith based policies.

Check for new replies or respond here...