» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Ballad of Geraldine

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/11/08 at 7:27 pm

There she goes singing Gloria Steinem's song:

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," Geraldine Ferraro told The Daily Breeze of Torrance, Calif., in an interview published last Friday.  "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.''

She also blames a sexist media for Hillary's second place to Obama. 

Wait a minute...we've got a black man and a woman as our prospective nominees for Democratic ticket.  This is an all around good thing.  What is bad is the way people like Mrs. Ferraro snipe at Obama while McCain (same old same-old) sits in the catbird seat. 

She makes it sound as if they're keeping the po' white folk down!  Furthermore, if it wasn't for Obama, Hillary would indeed be in Obama's position.  Most of us fully expected she would be.

I know Mrs. Ferraro has been ill.  I know it's frustrating for the Hillary camp, but come on, let's not give FOX News fuel for their cross-burnings. 

Oh, one other thing, I hate to say this, but if Obama was short, bald, fat, and ugly he wouldn't be where he is now.  Sorry.
:(

Subject: Re: The Ballad of Geraldine

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/11/08 at 10:17 pm

Geraldine hasn't been quite the same since her bid for VP.  She forgets some people just don't like Hillary, including a lot of women.  This is the first time in the history of the Primaries where we had four minority candidates.  Richardson is hispanic, Mitt is Mormon, Obama's black and Hillary is a woman.  When she was running, she was the only minority obviously times have changed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/08 at 7:09 pm

Today Ferraro resigned from the Clinton campaign finance committee.

She sticks by her words as her First Amendment right.  She said she was not impugning the Senator's qualifications for the job and she was merely recognizing Obama's success as progress for the black community, so she deserves a thank you.  And she's not a racist.  NOT a racist!
:D
-----------------------------

Turns out she said the same sh*t about Jesse Jackson 20 years ago! (4/13/88) Gotta problem lady?
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/08 at 7:43 pm

Today Ferraro resigned from the Clinton campaign finance committee.

She sticks by her words as her First Amendment right.  She said she was not impugning the Senator's qualifications for the job and she was merely recognizing Obama's success as progress for the black community, so she deserves a thank you.  And she's not a racist.  NOT a racist!
-----------------------------

Turns out she said the same sh*t about Jesse Jackson 20 years ago! (4/13/88) Gotta problem lady?

I remember back when she was running for VP, Geirge Bush I made a comment that "we're gonna kick her butt in this election", and she got all indignant saying that it was a sexist remark.

What a maroon...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/08 at 8:04 pm

I remember back when she was running for VP, Geirge Bush I made a comment that "we're gonna kick her butt in this election", and she got all indignant saying that it was a sexist remark.

What a maroon...

I remember that.

BUT to her credit, she helped Walter Mondale win Minnesota, Washington DC, and....

Well, Minnesota and Washington D.C.
:-\\

Written By: Tia on 03/12/08 at 9:02 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wk78i1zMGj4

olbermann. damn good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/12/08 at 9:26 pm

Hee hee, I loved him on SportsCenter too.

I forgot where I read it but she said something about how in '84 nobody would have cared about her if she were "Gerald Ferraro"...and then made another statement that kind of suggested that she had no credentials whatsoever.  Wonder if she's just senile.

Written By: saver on 03/12/08 at 9:56 pm

Will Hillary make up for it selecting Spitzers wife as her VP! ;D ;D ;D  That'll show them men things!!!

Written By: Jessica on 03/12/08 at 10:24 pm

That'll show them men things!!!

You want to see men things? Kinky.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/12/08 at 10:59 pm

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," Geraldine Ferraro told The Daily Breeze of Torrance, Calif., in an interview published last Friday.  "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.''

(Since Tia's already linked to Olbermann's awesome rant on the subject)

And there, in a nutshell, is the difference between Boomers and Xers (and Yers, and Millenials).

Boomer:  Do I vote for the black man, forgiving his maleness because I'm singing "We shall Overcome!", or the white woman, forgiving her whiteness because I'm singing "Hear me Roar!"  Oh, the anguish!  (How dare you disagree with me, you racist/sexist?)

Xers, Yers, Millenials:  Do I vote for the crusty old Boomer who's still whining interminably about identity politics, or do I vote for the non-Boomer, who, along with everyone else of my generation, has realized that identity politics is neither right nor wrong -- but merely silly -- because voting for/against someone on the basis of genetic accident is as stupid as every other form of tribalism that plagues this world.  Oh, to hell with it!  (How dare you Boomers try to drag us into the fight that you won for us in the 60s.  You didn't just ask, you fought for a colorblind, gender-neutral world, so just suck it up and deal with it!)

The only thing I'll say in defense of Ferraro is that she had the testi...umm...ovular fortitude to resign after her gaffe.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/13/08 at 12:27 am

Geraldine hasn't been quite the same since her bid for VP.  She forgets some people just don't like Hillary, including a lot of women.  This is the first time in the history of the Primaries where we had four minority candidates.  Richardson is hispanic, Mitt is Mormon, Obama's black and Hillary is a woman.  When she was running, she was the only minority obviously times have changed.

I always find it funny that women are considered to be "minorities"

This is according to the latest estimations (1007);

Sex ratios: (2007 est.)

at birth: 1.05 males/female
under 15 years: 1.05 males/female
15–64 years: 1 male/female
65 years and over: 0.72 male/female
total population: 0.97 male/female

And there you have, it, in almost all cases but 2 (both under 15), females outnumber males.  As we get older, women start to outnumber males by quite a high percentage.  Of course, women also outlive men by an average of around 6 years.  Men also suffer higher infant mortality rates (especially among things like SIDS and Muscular Distrophacy, which strike almost exclusively male children).

This must be the "majority minority", kinda like Hispanics in California.  In many areas, Hispanics outnumber "Caucasians" in California.  In my own family that is the case, since my ex, step-daughter, and Son are all "Hispanic", while I am "Caucasian" (or Native American, depending on your definition of such)

And being Mormon may be a "minority", but then again, Jimmy Carter be a minority, since Baptist is also a "minority".  I have always considered members of the LDS church to be "Protestants", as well as Christians.  Once again, hardly a minority.

Of course, everybody is a minority.  FDR was a minority since he had Polio.  Teddy Roosevelt was a minority, since he wore glasses.  Ralph Nader is a minority, since he is an author.  I am a multiple-minority.  I wear glasses, am in the military, and also a veteran, am male, am a Presbyterian, am a Native American (although personally I prefer the term "American Indian"), and according to some am also a Republican, a breed that is almost as extinct as the Dodo bird to some people.

Then people wonder why I give so little attention to claims of being a "minority".  To me, that is simply a way to seperate people.  And to me that is the only thing that matters: that we are all people.

Well, other then individuals that have shown themselves to not be people (or human), like Saddam, Charlie Manson, Jeff Dahmer, Hitler, and others of that ilk.

Written By: Tia on 03/13/08 at 8:28 am

The only thing I'll say in defense of Ferraro is that she had the testi...umm...ovular fortitude to resign after her gaffe.
yeah, but she was all passive-aggressive about it. 'oh, im resigning because those evil obama people are using me to attack you, and im such a victim and i'm going to resign so i can sling vaguely racist BS around without getting called on it!' and they say hillary didnt even ask for her resignation (of course, they might say that even if they did) whereas when samantha power called clinton a "monster" (a proposition for which there is in fact a growing body of evidence ::) ) she was gone in a heartbeat. and that's something else, BHO shows he's able to administrate his staff and keep on top of his game, whereas clinton's campaign is like a drunk driver weaving all over the road. shows you how she'd run the country, "experience" or no.

i felt sorta bad for samantha power, you can tell when she said what she did she realized right off it was a goof.

""She is a monster, too - that is off the record - she is stooping to anything," Ms Power said, hastily trying to withdraw her remark."

it was more like a slip of the tongue than anything. ferraro, by contrast, was obviously saying what she meant.

and as long as i'm piling on hillary "monster" rodham clinton...

http://blackcommentator.com/268/268_col_clinton_monster.html

Written By: Davester on 03/13/08 at 9:02 am

I remember that.

BUT to her credit, she helped Walter Mondale win Minnesota, Washington DC, and....

Well, Minnesota and Washington D.C.
:-\\

Ha..!

"Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I.  He won't tell you, I just did..."

*tak, tsk, tsk*  Bit of a shaky platform there, Mr. Mondale... :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/13/08 at 2:30 pm

This is according to the latest estimations (1007);

Sex ratios: (2007 est.)

at birth: 1.05 males/female
under 15 years: 1.05 males/female
15–64 years: 1 male/female
65 years and over: 0.72 male/female
total population: 0.97 male/female

And there you have, it, in almost all cases but 2 (both under 15), females outnumber males.  As we get older, women start to outnumber males by quite a high percentage.  Of course, women also outlive men by an average of around 6 years.  Men also suffer higher infant mortality rates (especially among things like SIDS and Muscular Distrophacy, which strike almost exclusively male children).

This must be the "majority minority", kinda like Hispanics in California.  In many areas, Hispanics outnumber "Caucasians" in California.  In my own family that is the case, since my ex, step-daughter, and Son are all "Hispanic", while I am "Caucasian" (or Native American, depending on your definition of such)

And being Mormon may be a "minority", but then again, Jimmy Carter be a minority, since Baptist is also a "minority".  I have always considered members of the LDS church to be "Protestants", as well as Christians.  Once again, hardly a minority.

Of course, everybody is a minority.  FDR was a minority since he had Polio.  Teddy Roosevelt was a minority, since he wore glasses.  Ralph Nader is a minority, since he is an author.  I am a multiple-minority.  I wear glasses, am in the military, and also a veteran, am male, am a Presbyterian, am a Native American (although personally I prefer the term "American Indian"), and according to some am also a Republican, a breed that is almost as extinct as the Dodo bird to some people.

Then people wonder why I give so little attention to claims of being a "minority".  To me, that is simply a way to seperate people.  And to me that is the only thing that matters: that we are all people.

Well, other then individuals that have shown themselves to not be people (or human), like Saddam, Charlie Manson, Jeff Dahmer, Hitler, and others of that ilk.

To the voting public she would be considered a minority.  I think what you're leaning towards is an individualist attitude.  Unfortunately their are some who don't have the ability to think like you do. You forgot about Buchanan, he was a bachelor. (A minority at the time of his election)  Lincoln had a genetic disorder.  Nixon was a Quaker.  Ford, since he was adopted.  Reagan, because he was an actor and believed in aliens.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/08 at 6:03 pm

Ha..!

It wasn't old Fritz's fault Americans can't think like adults. 

Mondale: Reaganomics has doubled the national debt in under four years.
Reagan: Well, I can't help it...there you go again!

The former was Casper Milquetoast the latter was Jimmy Stewart.  Style over substance every time!

Of the four running in the '84 campaign, only Reagan was personable.  Mondale was a no-charisma technicrat, Daddy Bush was a constipated old WASP (who wasn't even that old, just seemed it), and Ferraro was then what you see now!

Maybe she can make another Pepsi commercial.

In the general population, no.  In positions of power, yes.

Written By: Macphisto on 03/16/08 at 9:43 pm

Ha..!

Honesty rarely wins elections.  Rhetoric usually does -- hence Reagan's popularity and now Obama's.  Still, I'd rather have a charismatic speaker over a cold b*tch or a senile veteran.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/08 at 7:34 pm

Honesty rarely wins elections.  Rhetoric usually does -- hence Reagan's popularity and now Obama's.  Still, I'd rather have a charismatic speaker over a cold b*tch or a senile veteran.

He ain't senile, he's a crank!

Check for new replies or respond here...