» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush says U.S. is not heading into a recession.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/28/08 at 6:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080228/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush;_ylt=AhtVh2CHwo6DBlw9CZXU.T6s0NUE

I guess he doesn't talk to the Feds much, he too busy watching Fox News.  Fox News claims the economy hasn't really changed in years. ::)

Subject: Re: Bush says U.S. is not heading into a recession.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/28/08 at 6:39 pm

Well, technically he is right.  We aren't heading into one, we are in its very depths.  Of course his U.S. is doing just fine, he should take a walk on our side of town, but that is highly unlikely.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/28/08 at 6:41 pm

Well, technically he is right.  We aren't heading into one, we are in its very depths.  Of course his U.S. is doing just fine, he should take a walk on our side of town, but that is highly unlikely.

Yeah, I don't think there's too many foreclosure signs in his neighborhood.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/08 at 7:40 pm

Yeah, I don't think there's too many foreclosure signs in his neighborhood.

There's not many here, but I know that is atypical of most of the rest of the country. I wish I was the guy making all those "forclosed" and "for sale" signs: maybe then I could afford to buy a house here.  >:(

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 02/28/08 at 8:19 pm

I want some of whatever Dubya is smoking.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/08 at 8:24 pm

The Constitution?

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/08 at 10:53 pm

Somebody pass the prez the pretzels please!
>:(

Written By: midnite on 02/28/08 at 11:03 pm

Two and there years ago all the economists said that there was no housing bubble.  Yet home prices in the northeast are double that of those in Texas.  Housing is going to take the economy down and Mr. Bernanke lowering rates is not the answer.............

Written By: Jessica on 02/29/08 at 10:14 am

The Constitution?

Ant

;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/29/08 at 10:35 am

Two and there years ago all the economists said that there was no housing bubble.  Yet home prices in the northeast are double that of those in Texas.  Housing is going to take the economy down and Mr. Bernanke lowering rates is not the answer.............

House prices in the Northeast are always double that of Texas.  That's not really going to change either.  My grandparents are trying to sell their house in Florida right now, and they're seeing offers for less than half the appraised value.  That's not going on in the Northeast.  It's maybe 10% or 20% off the full value up here.  The market was high before the sub-prime mess even began in 1998, most of the people who bought more house than they could afford wouldn't have been able to buy into the market up here by that point anyways.  On the other hand, you have places that were depressed like Cleveland before the subprime mess began, which began to see a turn around and then got totally squashed when the bubble popped.  Something like 10% of the houses there are in default.  It's way more inventory than demand could ever pick up.  There's almost always a huge demand for housing in the Northeast, because there's still a lot of jobs here. NAFTA tended to hit the manufacturing base much harder than the service industry and the white collar jobs.

The real final straw in the popping in the bubble came when the Republicans rewrote the bankruptcy laws to benefit the credit card companies.  It suddenly became easier to default on a mortgage than to walk away from massive credit card debt.  At that point people had no choice, and let the banks take possession of all those McMansions they financed.

Written By: MrCleveland on 02/29/08 at 11:20 am

Crack.

From what I heard, Unemployment is 5% which is common. But where I am from, unemployment is hard. Just like the Reagan years. (The worst one we had recently was between 7/81 and 11/82.)

Written By: Tia on 02/29/08 at 11:34 am

hell bernanke's genuflections are making everybody panicky. greenspan's interest rate slashing is part of what created this fiasco in the first place. low interest rates --> predatory lending. mr. burnblanky needs to just leave interest rates where they are and let it all shake out. lowering rates is just more of the same poison, as are bush's tax rebates.  ::)

god these people suck.  ::) ::)

welcome, new person, by the way.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/29/08 at 2:16 pm

Well, let me see...

-Iraq had WMD.
-Saddam Hussein was in cahoots with bin Laden.
-Waterboarding is not torture.
-Nobody expected the levees to collapse during Katrina.
-The U.S. was going to do all it can to rebuild New Orleans.
-Social Security is in crisis.
-He's a "compassionate conservative" 
-The U.S. is not into nation building.

Just to name just a few.

Sure, I believe him when he says we are not heading into a recession.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Davester on 02/29/08 at 11:41 pm

The Constitution?

Ant

Gah!  Love it..! ;D

Stagflation...

I just wanted to say that.  I've decided to use the word as much as possible in normal, everyday conversation...

Written By: Tia on 02/29/08 at 11:49 pm

Gah!  Love it..! ;D

Stagflation...

I just wanted to say that.  I've decided to use the word as much as possible in normal, everyday conversation...
if you love the word "stagflation," you are living in heady times, my friend.  ;D that term is poised for a huge, huge comeback.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/01/08 at 11:52 am

Somebody pass the prez the pretzels please!
>:(

I'm sure you were planning on videotaping it weren't you. ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/01/08 at 11:55 am

Crack.

From what I heard, Unemployment is 5% which is common. But where I am from, unemployment is hard. Just like the Reagan years. (The worst one we had recently was between 7/81 and 11/82.)

Comparing Dubya to Reagan in a negative light.  You must not be one of those "stay the course" Republicans.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/01/08 at 8:09 pm

Comparing Dubya to Reagan in a negative light.  You must not be one of those "stay the course" Republicans.

Well...living in a Liberal city in a Conservative state really does that to a person. (And no, I'm not fron Austin, Texas!)

Written By: Tia on 03/01/08 at 8:53 pm

Well...living in a Liberal city in a Conservative state really does that to a person. (And no, I'm not fron Austin, Texas!)
that's too bad! :P

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/02/08 at 1:03 pm

Yeah, I kind of know the feeling.  I used to live in a really Conservative town in a fairly liberal state.  Being a democrat was slightly short of demonic possession.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/08 at 1:20 pm

Yeah, I kind of know the feeling.  I used to live in a really Conservative town in a fairly liberal state.  Being a democrat was slightly short of demonic possession.

Yeah, we live in a conservative town in a fairly liberal state. But we are NOT Democrats-we are Independents-leaning towards the Progressive Party-which is quite active in the state.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/02/08 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, we live in a conservative town in a fairly liberal state. But we are NOT Democrats-we are Independents-leaning towards the Progressive Party-which is quite active in the state.

Cat

It's really weird because you have the views that most people outside of that town do.  Often wonder how an area like that can not be influenced by outside politics.  We have never had a Democrat as a Congressman/Congresswoman.  However the Democratic candidate did do fairly well considering it is a Republican stronghold.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/03/08 at 12:22 am

It's really weird because you have the views that most people outside of that town do.  Often wonder how an area like that can not be influenced by outside politics.  We have never had a Democrat as a Congressman/Congresswoman.  However the Democratic candidate did do fairly well considering it is a Republican stronghold.

The reason why I brought it up is because all the mayors in my city (Except for two) were all Democrats. (And one tried to be president.)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/08 at 5:12 pm

The reason why I brought it up is because all the mayors in my city (Except for two) were all Democrats. (And one tried to be president.)

I live in Massachusetts, which is considered just about the most liberal of states, and we have a reputation for voting in Republican Governors, of course Mitt Romney may have cured that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/08 at 8:25 pm

I live in Massachusetts, which is considered just about the most liberal of states, and we have a reputation for voting in Republican Governors, of course Mitt Romney may have cured that.

I kept hoping Romney would take an ambassadorship to the Sudan or something, but no such luck!
:\'(

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/04/08 at 12:19 pm

don't worry, Deval Patrick is proving to be just as bad, I'm sure the gov's house will be up for grabs again.

my state rep is a Republican... the state is not real blue once you start heading west of Worcester, it's just that the density of Dems in the eastern half of the state tends to overwhelm everyone else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/04/08 at 7:17 pm

don't worry, Deval Patrick is proving to be just as bad, I'm sure the gov's house will be up for grabs again.

my state rep is a Republican... the state is not real blue once you start heading west of Worcester, it's just that the density of Dems in the eastern half of the state tends to overwhelm everyone else.

Well, the Pioneer Valley is a darker shade of indigo, but west into the Hill Towns is more purple. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/04/08 at 7:42 pm

Well, the Pioneer Valley is a darker shade of indigo, but west into the Hill Towns is more purple. 

My area (NE Ohio) is Blue-Violet. It dosen't get Red until you hit Milan. That's where they have a Melon Festival (And no, not that kind of Melon Festival) every Labor Day Weekend.

BTW-Milan is the Birthplace of Edison.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/05/08 at 5:45 pm

Everyday I wait for him to do something..and wait, and wait, and wait.....

Check for new replies or respond here...