» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Nixon's Hate List

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/02/08 at 10:18 pm

Who was on it and what did they do?

Subject: Re: Nixon's Hate List

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/08 at 12:44 am

Who was on it and what did they do?

"Opponents List"

The original Top 20 was compiled for Nixon by his chief counsel Chuck Colson, a nasty little buggar if ever there was one.  Colson was one of a handful (including G. Gordon Liddy) who actually did prison time after the Watergate debacle.

You'd be on it if you so much as looked at Tricky Dick cross-eyed, that's how paranoid he got before he resigned!  What did they do?  Uh, stuff Nixon didn't like.  What didn't Nixon like?  Lots of stuff.  Take a fellow who's still on the scene, John Conyers; why did Colson give him a slot ont he heavy 20?

"John Conyers, congressman, Detroit: Coming on fast. Emerging as a leading black anti-Nixon spokesman. Has known weakness for white females."

The "enemy" spoke against Nixon, was a political opponent of Nixon, or flat-out didn't like Nixon, or Nixon flat-out didn't like him.  That was the basis.  Auxillary reasons related to general political views, ethnicity, or allegiances.  Conyers, for instance, was a black man who allegedly enjoyed the company of white women.  Now we can't have that, can we?
::)

The Wikipedia article is pretty good.  It links to a more comprehensive Nixon enemies list, again compiled by Colson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon's_Enemies_List

Ganked from Wiki:

“Having studied the attached material and evaluated the recommendations for the discussed action, I believe you will find my list worthwhile for status. It is in priority order.”

1) Arnold M. Picker, United Artists Corp., New York; Top Muskie fund raiser. Success here could be both debilitating and very embarrassing to the Muskie machine. If effort looks promising, both Ruth and David Picker should be programmed and then a follow through with United Artists.

2) Alexander E. Barkan, national director of A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s Committee on Political Education, Washington, D.C.: Without a doubt the most powerful political force programmed against us in 1968 ($10-million, 4.6 million votes, 115 million pamphlets, 176,000 workers—all programmed by Barkan’s C.O.P.E.—so says Teddy White in The Making of the President 1968). We can expect the same effort this time.

3) Ed Guthman, managing editor, Los Angeles Times national editor: Guthman, former Kennedy aide, was a highly sophisticated hatchetman against us in ’68. It is obvious he is the prime mover behind the current Key Biscayne effort. It is time to give him the message.

4) Maxwell Dane, Doyle, Dane and Bernbach, New York: The top Democratic advertising firm—they destroyed Goldwater in ’64. They should be hit hard starting with Dane.

5) Charles Dyson, Dyson-Kissner Corporation, New York: Dyson and Larry O’Brien were close business associates after ’68. Dyson has huge business holdings and is presently deeply involved in the Businessmen’s Educational Fund which bankrolls a national radio network of five-minute programs, anti-Nixon in character.

6) Howard Stein, Dreyfus Corporation, New York: Heaviest contributor to McCarthy in ’68. If McCarthy goes, will do the same in ’72. If not, Lindsay or McGovern will receive the funds.

7) Allard Lowenstein, Long Island, New York: Guiding force behind the 18-year-old “Dump Nixon” vote drive.

8.) Morton Halperin, leading executive at Common Cause: A scandal would be most helpful here. (A consultant for Common Cause in February-March 1971) (On staff of Brookings Institution)

9) Leonard Woodcock, United Auto Workers, Detroit, Michigan: No comments necessary.

10) S. Sterling Munro, Jr., Senator Henry M. Jackson’s aide, Silver Spring, Maryland: We should give him a try. Positive results would stick a pin in Jackson’s white hat.

11) Bernard T. Feld, president, Council for a Livable World: Heavy far left funding. They will program an “all court press” against us in ’72.

12) Sidney Davidoff, New York City, Lindsay’s top personal aide: a first class S.O.B., wheeler-dealer and suspected bagman. Positive results would really shake the Lindsay camp and Lindsay’s plans to capture youth vote. Davidoff in charge.

13) John Conyers, congressman, Detroit: Coming on fast. Emerging as a leading black anti-Nixon spokesman. Has known weakness for white females.

14) Samuel M. Lambert, president, National Education Association: Has taken us on vis-a-vis federal aid to parochial schools—a ’72 issue.

15) Stewart Rawlings Mott, Mott Associates New York: Nothing but big money for radic-lib candidates.

16) Ronald Dellums, congressman, California: Had extensive EMK-Tunney support in his election bid. Success might help in California next year.

17) Daniel Schorr, Columbia Broadcasting System, Washington: A real media enemy.

18) S. Harrison Dogole, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: President of Globe Security Systems—fourth largest private detective agency in U.S. Heavy Humphrey contributor. Could program his agency against us.

19) Paul Newman, California: Radic-lib causes. Heavy McCarthy involvement ’68. Used effectively in nationwide T.V. commercials. ’72 involvement certain.

20) Mary McGrory, Washington columnist: Daily hate Nixon articles.

When this list was released, Daniel Schorr read it live on television, not realizing at first that he was on the list.
:D

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/03/08 at 1:55 pm

I'm surprised that there's no Bush enemies list....

Unless you consider the 'Axis of Evil' one. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/08 at 7:12 pm

I'm surprised that there's no Bush enemies list....

Unless you consider the 'Axis of Evil' one. ::)

Easier to make a Bush friends list.  He's headed into his bunker days.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/08 at 10:30 am

Easier to make a Bush friends list.  He's headed into his bunker days.

Rush Limbaugh, Billy Gahram, Condi Rice, Laura Bush, Most of Texas, Rednecks, Born-Again Christians,...

I'm not trying to say that Bush is still liked, I'm just saying that this is still a free country and you have your opinion.

And thanks for that list.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/08 at 12:48 pm

Rush Limbaugh, Billy Gahram, Condi Rice, Laura Bush, Most of Texas, Rednecks, Born-Again Christians,...

I'm not trying to say that Bush is still liked, I'm just saying that this is still a free country and you have your opinion.

And thanks for that list.

Who said you can't?

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/08/08 at 12:42 am

I'm surprised that there's no Bush enemies list...

What do you think the no-fly-list is?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/08 at 9:54 pm

What do you think the no-fly-list is?

That's what the boys call the women's caucus roster at the RNC!
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...