» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Purpose-Driven Life

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/03/07 at 9:11 pm

I read this book a few times, stopped reading it because it discouraged me, and now I'm reading it again.

Did this book ever help you?

Subject: Re: The Purpose-Driven Life

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/03/07 at 10:17 pm

Sounds hokey to me.

I'll take Atlas Shrugged for $100, Alex.  If you can survive the first 800 pages, you can survive the 100-page speech at the end, and if you can survive that, you can survive anything.

If you need a God, I'll go with the Illuminatus! Trilogy, by Robert Anton Wilson.  It's as long as Atlas Shrugged, but unilke Rand's ponderous tome, it explains everything (not just economics), it uses way more naughty words, it will make you laugh, and you'll need to read it at least two or three times before you start getting all the cross-references.

If all you need is a short-duration personal savior, I'd recommend the Book of the SubGenius, by Rev. Ivan Stang.  Eternal Salvation for $20 ($30 these days), guaranteed or triple your money back!

Church of the SubGenius:  Masking genuine wisdom in the guise of absolute bullsh*bleep*t since 1980something.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/07 at 8:08 pm

Nah, Ayn's too much of a shrieker.  I'd say Jean-Paul Shopping-Cartre,
"Being & Nothingness"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/homework.gif

After you've read that one cover to cover, insurance actuarial tables are like the rollercoaster at Six Flags!

Whenever I hear of the "The Purpose-Driven Life" I feel a Jeff Foxworthy joke coming...

"If there are hi-lighted passages in your Purpose-Driven life, you just might be...."
:P

Written By: McDonald on 10/04/07 at 11:57 pm

"If there are hi-lighted passages in your Purpose-Driven life, you just might be...."

Richard Dawkins taking refutation notes?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/07 at 9:27 pm

Speaking of which, The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion belong on the list of stuff worth reading.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/05/07 at 10:10 pm

Anything written by someone who says on his website: He’s been often named " America's most influential spiritual leader" and “ America’s Pastor.” has gotta be pure crap.

Yep, just read the description and it looks like I hit the nail on the head ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/07 at 10:15 pm

Heavyweight Championship of Charlatan-ship:

Dr. Phil and Rick Warren square off for 14 mind-numbing rounds!

Very witty, Wilde, very, very witty!  I wish I had thought of that...
;)

Written By: McDonald on 10/05/07 at 10:42 pm

Very witty, Wilde, very, very witty!  I wish I had thought of that...
;)

Shucks. Now that's a compliment. Thank you.

Check for new replies or respond here...