» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: This is why I can't get into organized religion

Written By: statsqueen on 07/10/07 at 4:37 pm

I want to direct your attention to a video currently on cnn.com...

I should preface this by saying that I was so frustrated by the headline of the video that I did not actually watch it, so it may be something different than what the title proclaims.  If anyone does watch it, please feel free to fill me in on the actual content.

The title of the video in question:

Vatican: Non-Catholics not true Christians

(it says it is 35 mins...another deterrent to my viewing; if they put it in a text article, I will read it)

Subject: Re: This is why I can't get into organized religion

Written By: spaceace on 07/10/07 at 5:56 pm

My parents are Catholic.  My Mom and I are currently in a religious argument about this very same thing.  It's a form of Fundamentalism, just as militant as born agains.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/07 at 7:03 pm

Vatican: Non-Catholics not true Christians

Preacher Jed:  The Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon!

:D

Written By: spaceace on 07/10/07 at 8:41 pm

this would have never happened if they would have elected someone normal as Pope. :P

Written By: Red Ant on 07/11/07 at 3:43 am

I really wanted to avoid posting in this thread, however, I could not.

This link will probably piss off everyone, except maybe Phil...

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts

Ant

Written By: spaceace on 07/11/07 at 5:11 am

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts

Ant

Thank you.  I'm going to send this to my Mother . . . then find the nearest bomb shelter. ;D

Written By: philbo on 07/11/07 at 5:18 am

Preacher Jed:  The Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon!

Ian Paisley: "The Pope is the antichrist"

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I thought that was great, and says something I've argued on quite a few occasions with a lot more clarity than I used.

On-topic: well, the Catholic church would have to say that, wouldn't it?  Rather like Sunni or Wahabi saying that Shi'a isn't true Islam.  And then I hear all the speculation about Blair "converting" to Catholicism... makes me want to puke.

Written By: spaceace on 07/11/07 at 5:24 am

Ian Paisley: "The Pope is the antichrist"
Yeah, I know what you mean...
I thought that was great, and says something I've argued on quite a few occasions with a lot more clarity than I used.

On-topic: well, the Catholic church would have to say that, wouldn't it?  Rather like Sunni or Wahabi saying that Shi'a isn't true Islam.  And then I hear all the speculation about Blair "converting" to Catholicism... makes me want to puke.

The Pope is angry at the the fact that the Catholic Church is naturally leaning towards the left.  He wants to throw out Vatican 2.  He's in the process of destroying a Church that he was elected to "be the shepherd of".  You can't fight an institution that wants to progress.  He doesn't seem to realize that. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/07 at 1:26 pm

I have said this many times before. I don't believe in organized religion. Religion is very personal. Nobody can tell you WHAT to believe. I can tell people what MY religion is and it is just that-MINE!!! No one else's. I will never say that people are wrong for their beliefs. What does bother me is when people harm others in the name of religion (whether it be terrorist acts or oppression), it reflects bad on the religion and the people who practice that religion.

I repeat:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/07 at 5:19 pm

The Pope is angry at the the fact that the Catholic Church is naturally leaning towards the left.  He wants to throw out Vatican 2.  He's in the process of destroying a Church that he was elected to "be the shepherd of".  You can't fight an institution that wants to progress.  He doesn't seem to realize that. 

When I heard how reactionary Pope Bennie was, I made a flippant remark, "Oh, next thing you know, he'll want to bring back Latin mass!"
I didn't really think he would....but the next thing I knew....

It's a jinx!  So I just kept my mouth shut about the King James Bible!
:-X

Written By: spaceace on 07/11/07 at 5:32 pm

When I heard how reactionary Pope Bennie was, I made a flippant remark, "Oh, next thing you know, he'll want to bring back Latin mass!"
I didn't really think he would....but the next thing I knew....

It's a jinx!  So I just kept my mouth shut about the King James Bible!
:-X

Most Catholics don't even know Latin.  Reactionary is an understatement.  He's been like this most of his life. Pope Bennie likes to nail people who disagree with him in the slightest degree.  He has the same personality traits as most dictators . . . sad but true.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/07 at 6:43 pm

Most Catholics don't even know Latin.  Reactionary is an understatement.  He's been like this most of his life. Pope Bennie likes to nail people who disagree with him in the slightest degree.  He has the same personality traits as most dictators . . . sad but true.

Catholics who went to Catholic school before Vatican II know at least some rudimentary Latin. 

The old Church, you know back in the 14th century, the one Pope Bennie wants to resurrect, prohibited mass in the vernacular because the less YOU, the layman knows, the better!  Power to the Divinity!  The pre-reformation Church was also wrathfully against the printing press.  The printing press created a market for books and, a priori, a market for mass literacy!  Before you know it, the masses will want to read the Bible themselves...in their own language!  Heaven forefend!  The common man forms opinions without our consent; free thought!  Thus, anybody caught printing the Bible in English was burned at the stake! 

Then came a young clergyman named Martin Luther who finally stood up to the mother Church, and Luther was a kind, tolerant man who thought people should be able to just what they want, and women should have equal rights, and loved the Jews very much...
Oh, wait a minute, let me check my notes again.
:-\\

Written By: spaceace on 07/11/07 at 6:52 pm

Catholics who went to Catholic school before Vatican II know at least some rudimentary Latin. 

The old Church, you know back in the 14th century, the one Pope Bennie wants to resurrect, prohibited mass in the vernacular because the less YOU, the layman knows, the better!  Power to the Divinity!  The pre-reformation Church was also wrathfully against the printing press.  The printing press created a market for books and, a priori, a market for mass literacy!  Before you know it, the masses will want to read the Biblle themselves...in their own language!  Heaven forefend!  The common man forms opinions without our consent; free thought!  Thus, anybody caught printing the Bible in English was burned at the stake! 

Then came a young clergyman named Martin Luther who finally stood up to the mother Church, and Luther was a kind, tolerant man who thought people should be able to just what they want, and women should have equal rights, and loved the Jews very much...
Oh, wait a minute, let me check my notes again.
:-\\

He'd (Pope Bennie) would probably reuse tactics from the Inquisitions if he could.  thankfully he can't get away with it this day in age.  Martin Luther did have quite a few ideals.  I'm surprised they didn't kill him.  However Martin Luther had an antisemetic tilt to him.

Written By: philbo on 07/12/07 at 1:30 am

(Pope Bennie)

Bennie?  Hmm... Pope Benzedrine I - obviously on his uppers.

The thing about mass in Latin as it really doesn't matter what the guy says, 'cause nobody can understand it.  Saves hours on preparation, just grab a bit from the Iliad and read it in a solemn voice.  Though if you hear "Caecilius mortuus est", you know he's been cribbing from the school textbooks instead.

I repeat:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

I'm a firm believer in that as a modus vivendi, but don't find the need for a religion to tell me that's what I need to be doing.  If you see what I mean.

He'd (Pope Bennie) would probably reuse tactics from the Inquisitions if he could.

Nobody would expect that! (Hmm, I seem to be overusing the Python quotes at the moment)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/07 at 5:54 am

Damn.  next thing you know, Pope Benny will be strappin' on a suicide vest and will travel to Indiana so he can kick some Mennonite butt.  ;D

I am a Catholic and I think the Pope's statements are quite ill-advised and, I believe, extremely immature for a 75-year-old man.  The finest man I ever knew was my Dad and he was a Presbyterian.

All that said, the Pope's statements cannot be compared very much to the Muslim Fundamantalist Clerics who openly preach jihad, killing of innocents, and so on.  Those mofos are busy bombing each other's churches, raping each others women, and spend their days inventing new ways to blow themselves up.  In Pakistan they have taken up a new sport, the kidnapping of prossies.

By the way did you ever notice that there sure seem to be alot of Muslim "clerics"?  What's up wit dat?  How do you get to be a "cleric"? ???

Written By: spaceace on 07/12/07 at 7:51 am

Damn.  next thing you know, Pope Benny will be strappin' on a suicide vest and will travel to Indiana so he can kick some Mennonite butt.  ;D

I am a Catholic and I think the Pope's statements are quite ill-advised and, I believe, extremely immature for a 75-year-old man.  The finest man I ever knew was my Dad and he was a Presbyterian.

All that said, the Pope's statements cannot be compared very much to the Muslim Fundamantalist Clerics who openly preach jihad, killing of innocents, and so on.  Those mofos are busy bombing each other's churches, raping each others women, and spend their days inventing new ways to blow themselves up.  In Pakistan they have taken up a new sport, the kidnapping of prossies.

By the way did you ever notice that there sure seem to be alot of Muslim "clerics"?  What's up wit dat?  How do you get to be a "cleric"? ???

I was raised Catholic and what Pope Bennie is doing really worries me.  He is an extremist.  One of my favorite photos of all time is one of Pope John Paul the 2 and the Dali Lama, they're walking in the Vatican Gardens in obvious deep discussion.  Those two talked quite a bit. 
As for Islam I can't speak for or against it because I don't know enough about it.  I do know this though any form of extremism can only lead to a negative this day in age.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/12/07 at 10:26 am

Most Catholics don't even know Latin. 
My parents know some....they were married in Latin in a Catholic Church and despite it being almost 50 years ago, they still remember most of it :o  I can barely remember MY wedding ceremony and it was only 12 1/2 years ago :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/07 at 3:06 pm

I'm a firm believer in that as a modus vivendi, but don't find the need for a religion to tell me that's what I need to be doing.  If you see what I mean.

I DO see what you mean. I agree that religion is not needed to distinguish between right & wrong as some tend to believe. 

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 07/12/07 at 3:10 pm

Ant

Warm..warmer...disco.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/07 at 7:06 pm

I DO see what you mean. I agree that religion is not needed to distinguish between right & wrong as some tend to believe. 

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Cat

Or just voting their economic interests, in the case of the U.S.
::)

Written By: annonymouse on 07/13/07 at 1:31 am

this would have never happened if they would have elected someone normal as Pope. :P

you mean somebody other than Darth Sidious?

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 10:17 am

My parents know some....they were married in Latin in a Catholic Church and despite it being almost 50 years ago, they still remember most of it :o  I can barely remember MY wedding ceremony and it was only 12 1/2 years ago :D

That was back when they also taught Latin quite a bit in schools.

Written By: spaceace on 07/14/07 at 10:20 am

you mean somebody other than Darth Sidious?

In all honest I was hoping for the Archbishop of Chicago Cardinal George would become Pope.  There nothing more normal than a guy from the Windy City area. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...