» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rage Against the Machine said...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 5:59 pm

Should they be investigated?  Is this a credible threat?
???

http://www.digg.com/politics/RAGE_AGAINST_THE_MACHINE_Calls_for_Bush_to_be_Tried_Hung_and_Shot

BTW, it's hanged.  Pictures are hung, people are hanged.  Anyway....

RATM were always juvenile and silly with their protest rock.  I don't think there's a need for the authorities to bother with them.  It does not rise to clear and present danger.  Still, that's pretty stupid to get up on stage and say our government should be "Tried, hung, and shot." 

Well, why bother with a trial?  A trial presumes the accused is innocent until proven guilty...at least in my country.  And if you hang them, you don't have to shoot them, unless you botch the hanging!

This was a topic on FNC last night w/ Ted Nugtent and Ann Coulter.  The Nuge was on Hannity and Colmes repeating the old line about how war critics are bringing down the morale of the troops.  He also launched into a tirade in re: Rage Against the Machine about how "... The beauty about freedom of speech is it entices people and it encourages people to say what they think. And, obviously, I've been surrounded and been watching dopey, hippy rock 'n' roll numb nuts..."
...then his screen went black.  Perhaps it was the ghost of Johnny Cash saying "That'll be enough of that there, son!"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269842,00.html

Actually, the whole thing was funny enough to link right to FNC!

I don't quite agree with Ann Coulter here, I never thought of RATM as "losers."  I just thought they were no-talent blowhards.  The Dixie Chicks they are not. 

Has anybody checked in with Flock of Seagulls to see what their position is on Bush?

It was a peculiar sensation to hear Ann Coulter mention my favorite band from 1983, but you could indeed ask Mike Score what he thinks about Bush's position in Iraq.  He lives in Cocoa Beach, FL.  He might even be listed!
;D
Maybe FOX could get Mike Score and Terri Nunn to debate the issues of the day....

Subject: Re: Rage Against the Machine said...

Written By: lterhune on 05/03/07 at 6:26 pm

I agree with Ann Coulter when she said - "why are we even talking about this?" - It wasn't worth her time, they are nobodies & losers!  - Even the democrat strategists think this mess of dead band (wannbes) were wrong. Interesting that you posted this! The strategists say they do not want to have these nuts affiliated with the democrat party - but I suppose it's okay with you!

...and you do love Fox News! See how fair and balanced they are, they showed this crap?!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/07 at 6:40 pm

I agree with Ann Coulter when she said - "why are we even talking about this?" - It wasn't worth her time, they are nobodies & losers!  - Even the democrat strategists think this mess of dead band (wannbes) were wrong. Interesting that you posted this! The strategists say they do not want to have these nuts affiliated with the democrat party - but I suppose it's okay with you!

...and you do love Fox News! See how fair and balanced they are, they showed this crap?!

I watch FOX like you watch a traffic accident!

Who said RATM was affiliated with the Dems?  Certainly not RATM.  I can just see Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi getting down and jamming with those guys!
;D

Written By: Tia on 05/03/07 at 8:25 pm

i personally think rage against the machine's music rocks WAY more than ann coulter's.

c'mon people. they're a rock band! this is their job, just like it's ann coulter's job to call people "fa**ots." who cares? just put on your war face and get in the mosh pit.

i AM curious where this whole hardcore taboo about threatening the executive branch's life came from. someone told me the history of it but i forgot, it's actually pretty recent. from what i hear in the founding days people were threatening the president's life left and right, it was all part of holding his feet to the fire. but they got pretty good reason to put the kibbosh on that stuff these days, the president is so damn unpopular. and i don't even mean bush, this goes back at least a few decades.

finally someone knows the difference between "hung" and "hanged." i hate when people say "hawk" when they mean "hock."

Written By: La Roche on 05/03/07 at 9:14 pm

i personally think rage against the machine's music rocks WAY more than ann coulter's.

c'mon people. they're a rock band! this is their job, just like it's ann coulter's job to call people "fa**ots." who cares? just put on your war face and get in the mosh pit.

i AM curious where this whole hardcore taboo about threatening the executive branch's life came from. someone told me the history of it but i forgot, it's actually pretty recent. from what i hear in the founding days people were threatening the president's life left and right, it was all part of holding his feet to the fire. but they got pretty good reason to put the kibbosh on that stuff these days, the president is so damn unpopular. and i don't even mean bush, this goes back at least a few decades.

finally someone knows the difference between "hung" and "hanged." i hate when people say "hawk" when they mean "hock."

It's always kickass to threaten people's lives, especially if they're in a position of power. Like - "If Hilary Clinton was elected President, I'd do my best to make sure she died." see.. that's kickass.

Jeez, it's rage against the machine, the same guys who covered F**K the police in D.C and wouldn't even use the correct words.. ya know, I doubt Eazy would have rolled over in his grave if you said N****r.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/03/07 at 9:55 pm

BTW, it's hanged.  Pictures are hung, people are hanged.  Anyway....

"B-b-b-but Clinton... was hung!"
- Monica L.

Written By: Davester on 05/03/07 at 11:35 pm

I think Rage Against the Machine should be tried for being a WAY overrated 90s rock band.  Once they've been convicted (with co-conspirators Green Day, Korn and Tool) their crappy music should be hung and every single album they ever made shot into space...

I think Tom Morello deserves a bit of respect, though.  He is probably one of the most innovative guitarists of the 90s.  He didn't have a whole lot of competition, but what are ya gonna do..? groove ;) on...

Written By: Tia on 05/04/07 at 12:04 am

i really really love rage. they were a band that changed the complexion of real hard rock.

tom morello did to the clean octave what angus young did to the power fifth. and there's no bigger compliment than that. we do i think three? four? of their songs in our set and those solos are fascinating, i work hard on em, the pickscratch DJ thing is my fudgeing favorite. i love getting a patch that's just too ridiculously hot and hitting the pick scratch thing on guerrilla radio and just hurting everybody... including most of all myself, because the amp's right next to my head.

good times.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/07 at 12:08 am

Should they be investigated?  Is this a credible threat?

No and no. BTW, in that 10+ minute long video of RATM, about the only words I could make out were "hung, tried, and shot". Reminds me why I never got into RATM: their lyrics are, if not horrifically repetitive, nearly indiscernable, or in songs like "Killing In The Name", both.

I think Rage Against the Machine should be tried for being a WAY overrated 90s rock band.  Once they've been convicted (with co-conspirators Green Day, Korn and Tool) their crappy music should be hung and every single album they ever made shot into space...

I think Tom Morello deserves a bit of respect, though.  He is probably one of the most innovative guitarists of the 90s.  He didn't have a whole lot of competition, but what are ya gonna do..? groove ;) on...   

You must mean late 90s overrated bands. I can think of several early 90s guitarists that would mop the floor with Tom Morello. Tom's work with Audioslave was totally uninspiring (so was Chris Cornell's for that matter, even though I loved Soundgarden).

I would tend to agree, but compared to music today, Green Day, Tool, etc. are like The Beatles, Led Zep, etc. were 35-40 years ago.

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 3:12 pm

I watch FOX like you watch a traffic accident!

I don't watch traffic accidents (and you thought you knew me so well).

As for your watching it, you talk about it all the time, watch it --
basically you love it, admit it already..

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 3:15 pm

It's always kickass to threaten people's lives, especially if they're in a position of power. Like - "If Hilary Clinton was elected President, I'd do my best to make sure she died." see.. that's kickass.

;D

Jeez, it's rage against the machine, the same guys who covered F**K the police in D.C and wouldn't even use the correct words.. ya know, I doubt Eazy would have rolled over in his grave if you said N****r.

...... not to mention they are all really ugly.

Written By: lterhune on 05/04/07 at 3:16 pm

Can anyone tell me why there are little happy faces next to some of the topics listed? And what is Karma ratings? How about a link that explains this place?

Written By: Tia on 05/04/07 at 3:31 pm

Can anyone tell me why there are little happy faces next to some of the topics listed? And what is Karma ratings? How about a link that explains this place?
you can pick a face to associate with a thread when you create it. i think you should have done the "war face" for this RatM thread, yeah?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/07 at 10:18 pm

I didn't like any popular rock music of the '90s.

I listened to The Legendary Pink Dots, Edward Ka Spel, and Tear Garden every day though! 
I was more interested in electronica--

Aphex Twin
The Orb
Muslimgauze

Stuff like that.  I was also developing my current tastes as I explored material by artists such as

John Cage
Meredith Monk
Richard Pinhas
Einsturzend Neubauten
Joseph Celli
Jin Hi Kim
Jerry Hunt
Anne LeBaron
Tom Waits
William S. Burroughs
Eleanor Hovda
Jackson Mac Lowe
Paul Lansky
Iannis Xenakis
Frank Zappa
Edgard Verase
Pierre Boulez
and the list goes on...

I just had zero interest in grunge, hip-hop, and what was then being touted as "college rock."  Pop music styles changed rapidly in the late '80s and my tastes did not follow.  Thus, RATM was something I tried to ignore, like Green Day, Korn, Belly, The Cranberries, Snoop Dogg, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, and so on and so on....

Check for new replies or respond here...