» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: jessica lynch and the tillman family

Written By: Tia on 04/24/07 at 11:34 am

this testimony to me is just completely stunning. i really think if this doesn't completely change america forever we've lost our soul.

i'm listening to it in real time and i feel like i'm listening to history being made.

basically it's jessica lynch, whom i wager all of you remember, and kevin and mary tillman, pat tillman's brother and mother, testifying before a congressional committee. lynch claims that she was actually taken to an iraqi hospital and given competent, if poorly outfitted, medical care before being taken out by american troops, but that she was made out to be a POW by propagandists in the government who wanted to use her misfortune to stump for the war. tillman's family say that he was killed by friendly fire and then similarly exploited by the government for similar purposes.

i remember when mindy kleinberg testified before a congressional committee years ago, and it was stunning testimony, and alas it was largely forgotten. i felt similarly about that, that it was of historic relevance, but hardly anyone knows about it now. at least this is getting some attention. i really hope this changes things, but i'm not sure it will.

Subject: Re: jessica lynch and the tillman family

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/24/07 at 7:48 pm

You're suprised by this all?

I already knew of all this. It's funny how the media just decides to get on it. Oh wait, they had their head up their asses during bush's double administration!

Written By: Tia on 04/24/07 at 9:37 pm

You're suprised by this all?

I already knew of all this. It's funny how the media just decides to get on it. Oh wait, they had their head up their asses during bush's double administration!
we were talking last night about the distinction between shock and surprise. i am shocked but not surprised, i always thought the jessica lynch thing was a fabrication, i never really kept up much with the tillman story to tell you the truth. i have to admit to being wildly impressed by jessica lynch, and her willingness to get in front of the nation and say, no, i was not a hero. the people i was with were heroes but i wasn't. it would be so easy to just keep your mouth shut and just bask in all that glory, yanno? to me what she did really WAS heroic. ironically.

Written By: Davester on 04/25/07 at 1:02 am

Events as I understood them...

-Jessica took a wrong turn and was attacked...
  -Iraqi soldiers took her to the hospital...
  -VIP treatment for broken arm, thigh and dislocated shoulder...
  -Dr. al-Houssona sent her back in an ambulance which was shot at by Americans.  Back to the hospital...
  -al-Rehaief calls Americans on cell and gives location...
  -Iraqis flee...
  -Americans saunter in...
  -Jessica comes back a hero...
  -al-Rehaief gets asylum and book deal for 1/2 mil...
  -The rest is Hollywood history...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/07 at 7:21 pm

According to FOX News commentators, it's OK to lie about this stuff if you chalk it up to morale's sake!
::)

Written By: jackas on 05/01/07 at 9:11 pm

this testimony to me is just completely stunning. i really think if this doesn't completely change america forever we've lost our soul.

i'm listening to it in real time and i feel like i'm listening to history being made.

basically it's jessica lynch, whom i wager all of you remember, and kevin and mary tillman, pat tillman's brother and mother, testifying before a congressional committee. lynch claims that she was actually taken to an iraqi hospital and given competent, if poorly outfitted, medical care before being taken out by american troops, but that she was made out to be a POW by propagandists in the government who wanted to use her misfortune to stump for the war. tillman's family say that he was killed by friendly fire and then similarly exploited by the government for similar purposes.

i remember when mindy kleinberg testified before a congressional committee years ago, and it was stunning testimony, and alas it was largely forgotten. i felt similarly about that, that it was of historic relevance, but hardly anyone knows about it now. at least this is getting some attention. i really hope this changes things, but i'm not sure it will.

While listening to this I was reminded of that AF pilot that went down in the Balkan conflicts, Scott O'Grady.  At the time they made him out to be some hero. ::)  I used to get so mad listening to that BS because it was obvious that the only thing he did was save his own ass by evading those that were trying to capture him.  The real heros were the Marines who went in and saved him and yet we hardly hear anything about that portion of the story.  It's such crap!

Check for new replies or respond here...