» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Mel Gibson the Anti-Semite

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/01/06 at 12:52 pm

Gibson Apologizes for 'Vitriolic' Words
By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES - Mel Gibson said Tuesday he is not a bigot or an anti-Semite and he apologized to "everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words" he used when he was arrested for drunken driving.
"Hatred of any kind goes against my faith," he said in a statement released through publicist Alan Nierob.

"I'm not just asking for forgiveness," Gibson said. "I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing."

It was the second apology the 50-year-old Oscar winner has issued through Nierob since his Friday arrest.

Gibson said he's "in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display" and hopes members of the Jewish community, "whom I have personally offended," will help him in his recovery efforts.

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark," Gibson said.

"But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."

Gibson acknowledged "there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed."

He said he must take responsibility for making anti-Semitic remarks because as a public person, "when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena."

Gibson noted that his apology and efforts to repair relations with the Jewish community "is not about a film."

ABC announced late Monday that it had scrapped plans for Gibson to produce a miniseries on the Holocaust.

"This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have," Gibson said.

To some people, however, it is about movies.

"I don't think I want to see any more Mel Gibson movies," Barbara Walters said Monday on the ABC talk show "The View." ABC is owned by Disney, which was in the early stages of planning the marketing for Gibson's next film "Apocalypto."

This is not the first time Gibson has faced accusations of anti-Semitism. Gibson produced, directed and financed the 2004 blockbuster "The Passion of the Christ," which some Jewish leaders said cast Jews as the killers of Jesus. Days before "Passion" was released, Gibson's father, Hutton Gibson, was quoted as saying the Holocaust was mostly "fiction."

Gibson, won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart," and starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, among others.

In recent years, he has turned his attention to producing films and TV shows through his Icon Productions. The hundreds of millions of dollars he made from "The Passion" has given the star the ability to finance his own films, giving him a measure of independence from the major studios. His last major starring role was in the 2002 film "Signs." He played a supporting part in the 2003 film, "The Singing Detective," which he also produced.

Borrowed from en.wikipedia.org:

In 1984, Gibson was arrested for drunk driving after he rear-ended a car in Toronto. According to Gibson biographer Wensley Clarkson, when the other driver exited his vehicle and began shouting profanity at him, Mel Gibson laughed and offered him a drink. He was fined $400 and banned from driving in Canada for 3 months.

On July 28, 2006, Gibson was charged with driving under the influence while speeding (87 miles per hour in a 45 miles per hour zone) on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, California. His bail was set at $5,000 and he was released.

Subsequent to his release a 4-page portion of an allegedly redacted or suppressed police report was leaked to entertainment website TMZ.com. The report is purported to be part of an original from the officer involved, Deputy James Mee, prior to superiors instructing Mee to remove anti-Semitic comments and a barrage of abuse aimed at Deputy Mee and other officers. The police report also alleges Gibson refused to be transported to the police station, and had to be restrained. Gibson's tirade allegedly continued at the police station, where he was videotaped asking a female officer, "What are you looking at, sugar tits?" and possibly attempting to urinate on the floor.

A day after TMZ's report, the Los Angeles Times and The New York Times reported that unnamed sources confirmed to them independently that the leaked documents were authentic. This has neither been denied nor admitted by the Sheriff Department, who have nonetheless asserted no cover up has taken place. Associated Press later reported that an official police report contained Gibson's alleged comments. The report is also posted online at Slate.com

TMZ later alleged that Gibson has been stopped twice before in Malibu for drunk driving but was released without a citation. While the legal blood alcohol level limit for driving in the state is 0.08%, Gibson's blood alcohol content was measured at 0.12%.. See also: Effects of alcohol on the body and Blood alcohol concentration.

Gibson issued a statement on July 29, 2006, indicating that he was pursuing treatment for his alcoholism and apologizing for unspecified behavior:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended....I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse." Excerpted from complete statement.
In response, Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), one of The Passion's most vocal critics, stated that Gibson's apology was "unremorseful and insufficient" and that the ADL hoped "Hollywood now would realize the bigot in their midst." Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League (US), promptly attacked Foxman's statement, saying that Gibson had already apologized and that ADL's "real goal is to discredit The Passion Of The Christ." Jeff Berg, head of the talent agency that represented Gibson for 18 years, told the Los Angeles Times that Gibson had called him after the arrest and that Berg "was trying to communicate the actor's remorse to his staff and clients." Berg told the paper that "I hate what he said, and so does he" and that "his remarks have created a first class mess, and he has owned up to it."

Gibson issued another statement on August 1, 2006:

There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge.

The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God's child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.
I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.
I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.
Reportedly, Gibson's manager has confirmed that Gibson has entered rehab.

Photo's have been released just hours before the arrest showing a drunk, bloodshot-eyed Mel Gibson partying with fans.

I am never seeing another Mel Gibson movie again.

Subject: Re: Mel Gibson the Anti-Semite

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/01/06 at 6:26 pm

This just end

"Everybody makes mistakes!"

Stunning News update

"Even people who believe in God sometimes do bad things, Webster defined it as sinning"

It maybe the end of the world as we know it

"Nobody's perfect, Nobody, I repeat absoultely no one!"

Ah!!!!! I don't believe it, I just don't believe it.

I will see a Mel Gibson movie again, infact I think I'll put Lethal Weapon in here in a minute.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/06 at 7:34 pm

Mel Gibson is another case for "money doesn't buy you happiness."  He's battling some serious inner demons. 

Good thing he got in good with the Christian Right with Passion before DUI and cursing out the Jews.  The Christian Right, joined by Jewish peers on the Right, such as Dennis Prager, will make excuses for Mel high and low, day in day out.  Whatever the Christian Right does, the corporate Right endorses, and it is the corporate Right that controls the mainstream media.

Mel Gibson cannot be anti-Semitic.  Why?  Because the Christian Right likes him.  The Christian Right cannot be anti-Semitic.  Why? Because they support Israel.  You can say this is illogical, but we are talking about the an apocalyptic cult.  That's what the American Evangelical movement is, and that is all it is.  The Evangelical movement's motivations are financial greed and their own eternal righteousness.  One or both of these arguments will always override logic.  Again, the corporate media, enlaved to the Evangelical's political party for the impending apocalypse, the Republican party, will ape the behavior of the Christian Right.

As talk show host Dennis Prager put it, Gibson is as Paul on the road to Damascus because Gibson got drunk, cursed out the yids, and said he was sorry the next day.  Stone cold logic!

You can say you hate Jews, just as long as you apologise.  You cannot say you hate the policies of the state of Israel.  Then you really are anti-Semite!

The Right was talking about a political career for Mel.  Perhaps he could take over in Sacramento after the reign of Ahhhnold.  I don't think Mel could win an election in California after this scandal, but if he runs as a Republican, he can not win and still take office!

How many 50-year-old alcoholics get apprehended for DUI, make bigoted remarks, and menace a female officer with lewd suggestions? Lots.  Mel represents his demographic well.  The other guys get to just sleep it off.  Mel doesn't.  Not fair.

What if Michael Moore got pulled over for drunk driving and repeated Gibson's behavior measure-for-measure?  The media pundits would be saying, "Awww, Mike's a good old boy who just made a mistake.  He said he was sorry."  NOT!
:P

Actually, right-winger Bernard Goldberg says conservatives oughta nail Gibson's hide to the wall, but as Mel would slur,
"Goldberg, eh? Your people killed Jesus!"

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/01/06 at 8:45 pm

Mel Gibson is another case for "money doesn't buy you happiness."  He's battling some serious inner demons. 

Good thing he got in good with the Christian Right with Passion before DUI and cursing out the Jews.  The Christian Right, joined by Jewish peers on the Right, such as Dennis Prager, will make excuses for Mel high and low, day in day out.  Whatever the Christian Right does, the corporate Right endorses, and it is the corporate Right that controls the mainstream media.

Mel Gibson cannot be anti-Semitic.  Why?  Because the Christian Right likes him.  The Christian Right cannot be anti-Semitic.  Why? Because they support Israel.  You can say this is illogical, but we are talking about the an apocalyptic cult.  That's what the American Evangelical movement is, and that is all it is.  The Evangelical movement's motivations are financial greed and their own eternal righteousness.  One or both of these arguments will always override logic.  Again, the corporate media, enlaved to the Evangelical's political party for the impending apocalypse, the Republican party, will ape the behavior of the Christian Right.

As talk show host Dennis Prager put it, Gibson is as Paul on the road to Damascus because Gibson got drunk, cursed out the yids, and said he was sorry the next day.  Stone cold logic!

You can say you hate Jews, just as long as you apologise.  You cannot say you hate the policies of the state of Israel.  Then you really are anti-Semite!

The Right was talking about a political career for Mel.  Perhaps he could take over in Sacramento after the reign of Ahhhnold.  I don't think Mel could win an election in California after this scandal, but if he runs as a Republican, he can not win and still take office!

How many 50-year-old alcoholics get apprehended for DUI, make bigoted remarks, and menace a female officer with lewd suggestions? Lots.  Mel represents his demographic well.  The other guys get to just sleep it off.  Mel doesn't.  Not fair.

What if Michael Moore got pulled over for drunk driving and repeated Gibson's behavior measure-for-measure?  The media pundits would be saying, "Awww, Mike's a good old boy who just made a mistake.  He said he was sorry."  NOT!
:P

Actually, right-winger Bernard Goldberg says conservatives oughta nail Gibson's hide to the wall, but as Mel would slur,
"Goldberg, eh? Your people killed Jesus!"

I agree with how you represented this paradox, about how you can say you hate Jews and apologize, but if you insult Israel you're an anti-Semite. However, the only reason the Christian Right likes Jews (and only marginally) is that we "have" Israel. And it fits into the apocalyptic cult worldview that you mentioned.

It was the worst thing that ever happened to us that we got a nation. I would've been glad not to have a "homeland." My homeland isn't Israel. It's the US, and beyond that, it's Germany, Poland, Lithuania, and the Russian and Austro-Hungarian empires, all of which sort of screwed us over, even more than their own "native peoples." 

Written By: Tia on 08/01/06 at 10:14 pm

my astonishingly acute intuition tells me mel probably IS an antisemite. passion of the christ made me REALLY nervous, i've heard interviews with his dad talking about "the so-called 'holocaust'", and somehow i've managed to get drunk many many times throughout life without ever launching into a jewhating tirade. did a lot of other embarrassing stuff, much of which is in writing on this message board, but never did that.

i'm just sayin'...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/02/06 at 1:28 am

I'm amazed at all the media finger pointing throughout this. As if their hands are clean as well.

Written By: Gis on 08/02/06 at 3:09 am

Excuse me while I just pick myself up off the floor and stop laughing. 'hatred of any kind etc' from the man who has made no effort to show how much he hates the British...................he's just a sad sack.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/06 at 9:55 am

Being drunk is no excuse for saying or doing something stupid, I don't care how much cash you have.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 11:09 am

my astonishingly acute intuition tells me mel probably IS an antisemite. passion of the christ made me REALLY nervous, i've heard interviews with his dad talking about "the so-called 'holocaust'", and somehow i've managed to get drunk many many times throughout life without ever launching into a jewhating tirade. did a lot of other embarrassing stuff, much of which is in writing on this message board, but never did that.

i'm just sayin'...

Ain't that puzzlin'?  I've said and done numerous embarrassing things inebriated.  Somehow I never got around to "the effin' Jews this, and the effin' Jews that," but I'm not quite as old as Mel, and haven't been sh#tfaced nearly so many times!

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 11:13 am

Ain't that puzzlin'?  I've said and done numerous embarrassing things inebriated.  Somehow I never got around to "the effin' Jews this, and the effin' Jews that," but I'm not quite as old as Mel, and haven't been sh#tfaced nearly so many times!

Didn't Elvis Costello say something about "n*ggers" once while inebriated? Or something? One thing I've always wondered is the truth of vino es veritae...which is the reason I keep my drinking to wine, at a minimum.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/02/06 at 11:59 am

Didn't Elvis Costello say something about "n*ggers" once while inebriated? Or something? One thing I've always wondered is the truth of vino es veritae...which is the reason I keep my drinking to wine, at a minimum.

I am not forgiving Elvis COstello for anyhting he may or may not have said, I have never heard of this before now.

However, you do have to realize that Elvis Costello was not born in America.  England does not quite have the same issues with the word then we do here in the US.  In fact, until the late 1960's, "N Word" was a common name for black dogs in England.  Anybody who has seen the movie "The Dam Busters", or clips of that movie in "Pink FLoyd - The Wall" will hear it used there, and nobody thought anything of it.

In a similar way, my Ex knew nothing of American Culture when she moved here from Argentina when she was 17.  She has told me of many faux paux she did when she first moved here.  Even all these years later, she still makes them on occasion, simply because she was raised in a different culture.

This does not excuse their actions, but it does give some mediating circumstances to what they did.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/06 at 12:13 pm

Manachevitz?  ;D ;D ;D  Going off topic here-when I was kid, I hated wine because the only wine that was in the house was Manachevitz. As I got older, I discovered there was something called "white wine" and "blush".

I must admit that I am very torn with this topic. I have been a major Mel fan for years (what can I say, the guy is very yummy). But with this lastest bit, it really is hard to ignore. Being of Jewish descent myself, I find it really disturbing. I have always felt that alcohol is a bit of a "truth serum". How a person acts or what they say under the influences, says what kind of person they really are. So, I am having this inner battle about a guy that I have admired for years and who he may truly be.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 12:16 pm

I can't remember what it was he said, but he offended Latin-Americans in the late '70s.  He then apologised and declared he was "not a racist."  I don't think he was drunk, he was just being the dick he often was in his early career.

There was also the line from one of my favorite EC songs, "Oliver's Army"
"It only takes one itchy trigger,
One more widow,
One less white n*gg*r!"

The "Oliver" in the song referred to Oliver Cromwell, British Head of State (1653-1658), and what EC saw as a modern version of Cromwell's New Model Army (not to be confused with the band).  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Model_Army
In other words, EC saw the British military taking advantage of the poverty and idleness among young men in Northern Ireland and recruiting them into an imperialist campaign that would serve to kill other poor people.  Fellow Irish were foremost, but the song also includes the line,
"If you're out of luck or out of work,
We could send you to Johannesburg!"
South Africa at the time (1978) was suffering the worst civil violence the apartheid state had ever seen.  Now, "white n*gg*rs" had long refered to the Irish as a slam against the British.  The British empire had persecuted the Irish as much as it had the peoples of color around the world, hence "white n*gg*r."  This also implies some kinship between the Irish and the indigenous people of South Africa.  So you can see, "Oliver's Army" is clearly an anti-imperialist and anti-racist song.

Don't start that talking
I could talk all night
My mind is sleepwalking
While I'm putting the world to right

Call careers information
Have you got yourself an occupation?

Oliver's army is here to stay
Oliver's army are on their way
And I would rather be anywhere else
But here today

There was a checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile

Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white n/gg/r

But here today

Hong Kong is up for grabs
London is full of Arabs
We could be in Palestine
Overrun by a Chinese line
With the boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne

But there's no danger
It's a professional career
Though it could be arranged
With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear

If you're out of luck or out of work
We could send you to Johannesburg

Oliver's army is here to stay,
Oliver's army are on their way,
But here today,
But here today,
But here today,
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh ......

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 12:23 pm

I can't remember what it was he said, but he offended Latin-Americans in the late '70s.  He then apologised and declared he was "not a racist."  I don't think he was drunk, he was just being the dick he often was in his early career.

There was also the line from one of my favorite EC songs, "Oliver's Army"
"It only takes one itchy trigger,
One more widow,
One less white n*gg*r!"

The "Oliver" in the song referred to Oliver Cromwell, British Head of State (1653-1658), and what EC saw as a modern version of Cromwell's New Model Army (not to be confused with the band).  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Model_Army
In other words, EC saw the British military taking advantage of the poverty and idleness among young men in Northern Ireland and recruiting them into an imperialist campaign that would serve to kill other poor people.  Fellow Irish were foremost, but the song also includes the line,
"If you're out of luck or out of work,
We could send you to Johannesburg!"
South Africa at the time (1978) was suffering the worst civil violence the apartheid state had ever seen.  Now, "white n*gg*rs" had long refered to the Irish as a slam against the British.  The British empire had persecuted the Irish as much as it had the peoples of color around the world, hence "white n*gg*r."  This also implies some kinship between the Irish and the indigenous people of South Africa.  So you can see, "Oliver's Army" is clearly an anti-imperialist and anti-racist song.

Don't start that talking
I could talk all night
My mind is sleepwalking
While I'm putting the world to right

Call careers information
Have you got yourself an occupation?

But here today

There was a checkpoint Charlie
He didn't crack a smile
But it's no laughing party
When you've been on the murder mile

Only takes one itchy trigger
One more widow, one less white n/gg/r

But here today

Hong Kong is up for grabs
London is full of Arabs
We could be in Palestine
Overrun by a Chinese line
With the boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne

But there's no danger
It's a professional career
Though it could be arranged
With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear

If you're out of luck or out of work
We could send you to Johannesburg

Oliver's army is here to stay,
Oliver's army are on their way,
But here today,
But here today,
But here today,
oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh ......

There was also something said about Morrissey's "hating Pakistanis and West Indians" and the Cure's "anti-Arabic tendencies", both of which were either misperceptions, or in the case of Morrissey, just Morrissey speaking without thinking, as he oftentimes seems to do.

Here's a wikipedia entry on the incident which I referred to:

His success in the US was severely bruised when, during a drunken argument with Stephen Stills and Bonnie Bramlett in a Columbus, Ohio Holiday Inn hotel bar, Costello referred to James Brown as a "jive-ass ******", then upped the ante by pronouncing Ray Charles a "blind, ignorant ******".

Bramlett and friends had evidently been baiting Costello with derisive comments about British rock music in general and "sawed-off Limey"-type comments aimed at him in particular.

A contrite Costello apologised at a New York City press conference a few days later, claiming that he had been drunk and had been attempting to be obnoxious in order to bring the conversation to a swift conclusion, not anticipating that Bramlett would bring his comments to the press.

According to Costello, "it became necessary for me to outrage these people with about the most obnoxious and offensive remarks that I could muster". In his liner notes for the expanded version of Get Happy!!, Costello writes that some time after the incident he had declined an offer to meet Charles out of guilt and embarrassment, though Charles himself had graciously forgiven Costello ("Drunken talk isn't meant to be printed in the paper").

It is notable that Costello worked extensively in Britain's Rock Against Racism campaign both before and after this interlude. This incident specifically inspired his Get Happy! song (see) Riot Act.

I don't hold it against Elvis Costello, though. I think he sincerely isn't racist, and I can trust him on that...and even if he were, he wouldn't have enough power to sway people and whatnot. Ditto with Eduard Degas, a famous anti-Semite who was also one of my favorite painters. T.S. Eliot is another "renowned anti-Semite", though I think he may have mended his ways in the 1940s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 12:26 pm

Manachevitz?  ;D ;D ;D  Going off topic here-when I was kid, I hated wine because the only wine that was in the house was Manachevitz. As I got older, I discovered there was something called "white wine" and "blush".

I must admit that I am very torn with this topic. I have been a major Mel fan for years (what can I say, the guy is very yummy). But with this lastest bit, it really is hard to ignore. Being of Jewish descent myself, I find it really disturbing. I have always felt that alcohol is a bit of a "truth serum". How a person acts or what they say under the influences, says what kind of person they really are. So, I am having this inner battle about a guy that I have admired for years and who he may truly be.

Cat

I actually like Manachevitz wine! Well, sometimes. It sort of gives me a headache, and I prefer whites (which my mother also prefers, and she keeps a well-stocked wine cabinet.)

Written By: Tia on 08/02/06 at 12:27 pm

I actually like Manachevitz wine! Well, sometimes. It sort of gives me a headache, and I prefer whites (which my mother also prefers, and she keeps a well-stocked wine cabinet.)
i can't touch that stuff. it makes me launch into vituperative tirades against maltese men. go figure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 12:33 pm

Cat

That's the funny thing. In his heyday, if a woman didn't swoon at the sight of Mel, she was probably a lesbian.  Today there are millions of women saying, "He's still hot looking, but after what he said...."

Every teenaged girl in the world had a crush on Michael Jackson in the Thriller days.  The media couldn't get enough Michael Jackson either. But a mere ten years later his "inner demons had" gnawed his brain until Jacko was so alienating people regarded him only with bemusement and a little horror.  Twenty years after Thriller people just despise Jackson for the most part.

It's not a complete analogy, but Mel seems to be headed down a similar path on which his "inner demons" will tarnish a universally enjoyed celebrity.

A lot of guys react that way to Ann Coulter.  She drop-dead gorgeous, but the filth that spews from her mouth is abominable.  Actually, I do find her striking, but not gorgeous--as in beautiful--I do wish she would drop dead, though!

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/02/06 at 12:33 pm

Mel makes news, like all celebs, but when push comes to shove, who gives a rat's a$$?  Anti - (fill in the blank) is rampant in this country of brotherly love and we all know it, we would just prefer to ignore it.

Written By: Tia on 08/02/06 at 12:36 pm

A lot of guys react that way to Ann Coulter.  She drop-dead gorgeous, but the filth that spews from her mouth is abominable.  Actually, I do find her striking, but not gorgeous--as in beautiful--I do wish she would drop dead, though!
she has nice hair and that's about it. that and a generous complement of inner demons.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 12:58 pm

There was also something said about Morrissey's "hating Pakistanis and West Indians" and the Cure's "anti-Arabic tendencies", both of which were either misperceptions, or in the case of Morrissey, just Morrissey speaking without thinking, as he oftentimes seems to do.

Here's a wikipedia entry on the incident which I referred to:

His success in the US was severely bruised when, during a drunken argument with Stephen Stills and Bonnie Bramlett in a Columbus, Ohio Holiday Inn hotel bar, Costello referred to James Brown as a "jive-ass ******", then upped the ante by pronouncing Ray Charles a "blind, ignorant ******".

Bramlett and friends had evidently been baiting Costello with derisive comments about British rock music in general and "sawed-off Limey"-type comments aimed at him in particular.

A contrite Costello apologised at a New York City press conference a few days later, claiming that he had been drunk and had been attempting to be obnoxious in order to bring the conversation to a swift conclusion, not anticipating that Bramlett would bring his comments to the press.

According to Costello, "it became necessary for me to outrage these people with about the most obnoxious and offensive remarks that I could muster". In his liner notes for the expanded version of Get Happy!!, Costello writes that some time after the incident he had declined an offer to meet Charles out of guilt and embarrassment, though Charles himself had graciously forgiven Costello ("Drunken talk isn't meant to be printed in the paper").

It is notable that Costello worked extensively in Britain's Rock Against Racism campaign both before and after this interlude. This incident specifically inspired his Get Happy! song (see) Riot Act.

I don't hold it against Elvis Costello, though. I think he sincerely isn't racist, and I can trust him on that...and even if he were, he wouldn't have enough power to sway people and whatnot. Ditto with Eduard Degas, a famous anti-Semite who was also one of my favorite painters. T.S. Eliot is another "renowned anti-Semite", though I think he may have mended his ways in the 1940s.

Oh, I remember now.  He was sort of playing the dozens over some drinks with Stills and Bramlett, and he got out of control.  Celebrity was new to Elvis Costello then, and I don't think he understood the weight his words would carry.  He soon found out!  The thing is, I never saw any bigotry in his work.  I didn't with Mel either, but that's because I didn't see Passion.
You can take any number of songs or writings literally and ascribe racist motives to the author.  Morrissey's "Bengali in Platforms" was more a comment on the sad state of Western life. It's irony.  I have similar thoughts about natives from rich cultures who embrace the inanity of Western pop.  It's easy to see how Morrissey's "Shelve your Western plans...life is hard enough when you belong here" would be taken the wrong way.  The line from The Pogues' If I Should Fall from Grace with God, "This land was always ours, was the proud land of our fathers, it belongs to us and them, not to any of the others..." is one that always made me nervous.  I did not like the idea of South Boston drunks walking around with that one in their heads!  
The Cure's "Killing An Arab" didn't inspire me to go out and kill an Arab, only to discover Albert Camus!  I remember the controversy surrounding the song, and Smith explaining to the press what "Oh Meursault" meant.  The way Camus narrates the shooting scene in The Stranger is so vivid it puts you right there on the Algerian beach! When I read the book, I saw how Robert Smith was inspired to write the song.  Arab groups were correctly nervous about the song being misunderstood, especially after Lebanon, and so I don't blame The Cure for dropping KAA from their live sets.  I saw "The Stranger" for sale in record stores after The Cure attained U.S. stardom, so the song did some good too, it got teenagers to read a book!
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 1:01 pm

she has nice hair and that's about it. that and a generous complement of inner demons.

That's why I said "striking," but not "beautiful."  Coulter is the representative princess of the Aryan racists!  She doesn't have inner demons so much as she gives inner demons!

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/02/06 at 2:09 pm

To be fair, alcohol is not a polygraph test - sure it makes us less inhibited, but it's also a depressant that clouds our perceptions and muddles our reasoning.

That said, I think Mel Gibson probably is prejudiced. ;) His father holds some pretty extreme views, being both a Holocaust denier and a sedevacantist (a conservative fringe Catholic who regards Vatican II and all popes since as invalid). As for Mel, I think a lot of his own prejudices come across in his movies... For example, one part of Braveheart that disturbed me was when the young male lover of Prince Edward is casually shoved out a window and falls to his bloody death; this callous portrayal comes shortly after we've been treated to moody lighting and sweeping strings to accompany the death of William Wallace's girlfriend. The one-sided representation of the British as blatantly evil in both Braveheart and The Patriot is another, more general example.

Written By: STAR70 on 08/02/06 at 6:30 pm

Morrissey's "Bengali in Platforms" was more a comment on the sad state of Western life. It's irony.  I have similar thoughts about natives from rich cultures who embrace the inanity of Western pop.  It's easy to see how Morrissey's "Shelve your Western plans...life is hard enough when you belong here" would be taken the wrong way. 

"We look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead" --Morrissey

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/06 at 10:35 pm

"We look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead" --Morrissey

One of his post-Smiths best!
:)

This just in:

Mel Gibson declares he IS ant-Semitic...but it's all the Jews' fault!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/splat.gif

Written By: Gis on 08/03/06 at 3:18 am

Every teenaged girl in the world had a crush on Michael Jackson in the Thriller days.  The media couldn't get enough Michael Jackson either. But a mere ten years later his "inner demons had" gnawed his brain until Jacko was so alienating people regarded him only with bemusement and a little horror.  Twenty years after Thriller people just despise Jackson for the most part.

Definatly not me, he has always given me the creeps *shudder*

As to Mel, I used to fancy him from when he was in Tim,Gallipoli and Mutiny then I heard him in interviews and started to realise he was a really rather unpleasant man.

Written By: STAR70 on 08/03/06 at 5:01 pm

One of his post-Smiths best!
:)

This just in:

Mel Gibson declares he IS ant-Semitic...but it's all the Jews' fault!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/splat.gif

THIS JUST IN:

Mel Gibson admits he hates the "dirty Jews" because "they killed 6 million Nazis in WW II !"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/06 at 12:17 am

THIS JUST IN:

Mel Gibson admits he hates the "dirty Jews" because "they killed 6 million Nazis in WW II !"

Mel's pop said something to the effect of, "Yeah, a lot of Jews died in concentration camps, but it wasn't that many..."  OK, Mel's pop, would 4.5 million make it OK?

It reminds me of those Marxist-Leninists who get indignant if you say, "Sixty million people perished under Stalin's reign."
"That's an imperialist lie!  The number was no higher than ten million, and that's a proven fact!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/iamwithstupid.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/04/06 at 12:35 am

I don't believe alcohol to be a truth serum, 100% of the time.  I think there really are people who get drunk and say and do stupid sh*t they don't mean.  I don't believe Mel falls into this category, though. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/06 at 12:50 am

I don't believe alcohol to be a truth serum, 100% of the time.  I think there really are people who get drunk and say and do stupid sh*t they don't mean.  I don't believe Mel falls into this category, though. 

It bears repeating--suppose you were DUI, and the cops pulled you over, would it occur to you to yell at the cops about how "The effin' Jews start all the wars in the world!"
To give a less inflammatory example, suppose you hated, uh, chocolate chip cookies.  If the cops pulled you over at a 0.12, would you say, "Damn chocolate chip cookies! I hate 'em, ya hear!"

Of course not. Even if you were tipsy,  you would say, "Yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am," and if the cops wanted you to do a field sobriety test, you'd do it without engaging in combative behavior!

Mel's behavior shows me he is not only anti-Semitic, but he's also got an out-of-control explosive temper!  Alcohol doesn't "make" you do stuff.  I have been bombed out of my mind (not driving, mind you) and I have pulled amazing feats of fake sobriety when I had to!  You've been pubbing with your pals since 6:00.  You're reeling down the sidewalk singing "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda," you see a patrolmen round the corner, and you pull it together and walk the straight and narrow real quick!

Check for new replies or respond here...