» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What network do you trust more for news?

Written By: Mushroom on 06/20/06 at 2:05 pm

I am curious as to where most people go for their news.  There seems to be a lot of arguement as to which is the best.

And please, try to keep it positive.  Keep the comments positive, and not bash the other shoices, simply because you do not like them.  The idea is to see what people like, not what they do not like.

Subject: Re: What network do you trust more for news?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/06 at 2:14 pm

I don't trust the first three, and I never hear the second three. "Trust" is a difficult term these days. I trust news sources that do not toe the corporate line and are not afraid to say things the establishment does not want you to hear.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/20/06 at 3:03 pm

I watch network news.

Written By: Tia on 06/20/06 at 3:08 pm

i just don't think the t.v. networks are in the business of providing news. they provide entertainment in a quasi-news format.

Written By: chaka on 06/20/06 at 3:13 pm

Of the ones you listed I watch Euronews.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/06 at 7:34 pm

i just don't think the t.v. networks are in the business of providing news. they provide entertainment in a quasi-news format.

Most of it is just "infotainment." FOX News always tries to say, "OK, maybe we lean a bit to the right in our commentary programs, but we are objective in our hard news." Uhhh....but there is no "hard news" on FOX!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/06 at 7:39 pm

F) None of the above.

Which is why I'll watch any and all of them.  Everyone's got an angle to spin on something.  You can usually figure out the truth by figuring out which lies are being told by whom, and which truths are being left out.  The more people spin, the more gaps they leave in their stories, and the more information I have to work with.  It's a fun game!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/20/06 at 7:56 pm

F) None of the above.

Which is why I'll watch any and all of them.  Everyone's got an angle to spin on something.  You can usually figure out the truth by figuring out which lies are being told by whom, and which truths are being left out.  The more people spin, the more gaps they leave in their stories, and the more information I have to work with.  It's a fun game!

Amen, it's sort of like looking at a photographic negative!
Remember those? You know "chem cams"?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 12:04 am

None of these. Local news

Written By: Tia on 06/21/06 at 12:23 am

i listen to c-span and npr CONSTANTLY. CONSTANTLY. (i really should give npr some frickin' money.) i read the paper (washington post) almost every day. i check the AP newswire on yahoo, and sometimes i go to clearinghouses like truthout.org. t.v. is so great for so many things and i worship and adore television, but for news, no good. it's too visual, too distracted by the visual. you're never listening to anyone's argument, you always end up thinking about how great their hair is or what they're doing with their hands or whatever.

i wish they'd bring back newsreels, though. newsreels did what t.v. news could never do, really combine the visual with written journalism -- they were like indepth news stories. it seems like that was a technology that got replaced but it never did, really. and conservatives would love it -- newsreels propagandized world war ii brilliantly! (course that war was a much easier sell than the weirdass imperial police actions they try and pass off on us nowadays.)

Written By: Apricot on 06/21/06 at 4:17 am

I trust ABC for the most part.. they're a little biased supposedly, but I so far haven't noticed much.. just a little liberal slant.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/06 at 12:16 pm

i listen to c-span and npr CONSTANTLY. CONSTANTLY. (i really should give npr some frickin' money.) i read the paper (washington post) almost every day. i check the AP newswire on yahoo, and sometimes i go to clearinghouses like truthout.org. t.v. is so great for so many things and i worship and adore television, but for news, no good. it's too visual, too distracted by the visual. you're never listening to anyone's argument, you always end up thinking about how great their hair is or what they're doing with their hands or whatever.

i wish they'd bring back newsreels, though. newsreels did what t.v. news could never do, really combine the visual with written journalism -- they were like indepth news stories. it seems like that was a technology that got replaced but it never did, really. and conservatives would love it -- newsreels propagandized world war ii brilliantly! (course that war was a much easier sell than the weirdass imperial police actions they try and pass off on us nowadays.)

Those newsreels, especially around WWII, were pretty much State Dept. propaganda.
But your right, C-SPAN is pretty good.  However, even their choices for guests tend to be a bit rightward biased. C-SPAN is too taken in by the Washington establishment media and gives too much lip service to right-wing think tanks, such as the American Enterprise Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute.
NPR/PBS present much higher quality programming than the commercial networks, but they are forced to tilt to the right or else the government raises hell!
For broadcast opinion journalism, it's Air America all the way for me!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/06 at 11:14 am

On this list, I voted for CNN but I also read our local newspaper, plus I read a lot of news on-line from the AP and Reuters.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/06 at 1:24 pm

CNN.  I like to watch John Roberts bring the news.  He gives it to ya straight 8)

I can still remember when he was a VJ here in Canada at MuchMusic

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/06 at 7:23 pm

I don't fully trust any, so I use as many sources as possible and try to weed out the truth and falsehoods.  The infotainment thing is true.  They look more to ratings than providing accurate coverage. 

Written By: Tia on 06/23/06 at 9:05 am

Those newsreels, especially around WWII, were pretty much State Dept. propaganda.
But your right, C-SPAN is pretty good.  However, even their choices for guests tend to be a bit rightward biased. C-SPAN is too taken in by the Washington establishment media and gives too much lip service to right-wing think tanks, such as the American Enterprise Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute.
NPR/PBS present much higher quality programming than the commercial networks, but they are forced to tilt to the right or else the government raises hell!
For broadcast opinion journalism, it's Air America all the way for me!
war dissent wasn't particularly popular, there were antiwar organizations, particularly on the isolationist right -- and pacifica was founded as an antiwar organizaiton in wwii, i think -- but virtually ALL mainstream coverage of war is pro-war propaganda. i don't think cnn or fox are any more skeptical of war than the old newsreels were.

i guess what i mean is the newsreels sometimes had the capacity for more cinematic and journalistic content. sometimes the old reels had their moments -- there's one called "the battle for san pietro," about the american offensive into italy, that's stunning -- and not sugarcoated, either, it makes combat look horrible and pretty much everybody dies in the end. and then the frank capra pieces, which, though technically propaganda, are brilliantly done.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/24/06 at 8:46 pm

I usually watch the CBC or the BBC. I find CNN too sensationalist and too focussed on the USA (my interest is generally in international news); I'm not very familiar with the other networks listed. I also check up news stories on Yahoo.com every day.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 8:51 pm

I usually watch the CBC or the BBC. I find CNN too sensationalist and too focussed on the USA (my interest is generally in international news); I'm not very familiar with the other networks listed. I also check up news stories on Yahoo.com every day.

Peter Mansbridge

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/24/06 at 9:00 pm

Either Sky News Australia or BBC World. Don't like Fox, CNN or free-to-air news.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/24/06 at 9:20 pm

Well, CNN is centered in Atlanta, Georgia.  I don't think they'd focus more on Mexican news.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/24/06 at 9:48 pm

Well, CNN is centered in Atlanta, Georgia.  I don't think they'd focus more on Mexican news.

I already knew that. The reason I singled CNN out for comment was because of those networks listed in this poll, it's the only one I'm reasonably well acquainted with. CNN doesn't keep my interest because my preference is for international news; I don't find it unusual for an American network to focus on American news though, of course.

My favourite news program is probably BBC World, because its whole stated purpose is international coverage and it airs quite frequently over here.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/24/06 at 10:43 pm

Peter Mansbridge

My best friend finds Mansbridge "pompous" for some reason. But I like him. I like The National. :)

I still find it odd seeing George Stroumboulopoulos (yes, I can spell his name  ;D) hosting a news show... I don't see a similar future for any of MuchMusic's current crop of soulless VJs. ;)

Written By: nally on 06/24/06 at 10:51 pm

Usually when I watch news, it's on my local TV stations.

Written By: YWN on 06/30/06 at 5:42 pm

This has been mentioned before:  All the 24 hour news networks devote too much time to entertainment instead of, you know, actual news.  I do watch CSPAN but I don't always have the time or patience so sometimes I watch CNN or MSNBC (usually the latter).

I don't believe either of those have a liberal slant.  I think that FOX News is setting the bar here and if a network claims, for instance, that the Bush administration has done something illegal, based on a court ruling, how is that biased?  It's a fact.  You don't have to be neutral to be objective; people tend to look bad.

Oh yeah, and the Daily Show is awesome, of course.  I also watch the Colbert Report, but it isn't as entertaining as Jon Stewart.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/01/06 at 11:17 pm

I don't fully trust any, so I use as many sources as possible and try to weed out the truth and falsehoods.  The infotainment thing is true.  They look more to ratings than providing accurate coverage. 

I agree.  For ordinary day to day news, I prefer to read our local newspaper.. it is very good about using nouns and verbs and not a bunch of adjectives to tell the stories.  Then after reading the facts and forming my own opinion, I will watch the network news to see what their anchors/guests are saying about it.

And for the record, I see nothing wrong with opinion shows or political talk shows being slanted as long as they are not advertised as hard news shows...

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/06 at 11:17 pm

My best friend finds Mansbridge "pompous" for some reason. But I like him. I like The National. :)

I still find it odd seeing George Stroumboulopoulos (yes, I can spell his name  ;D) hosting a news show... I don't see a similar future for any of MuchMusic's current crop of soulless VJs. ;)

CBC NewsWorld I believe.  It is odd seeing him host a News show, but then again, he did host Much News.  He's got a good voice for the news.  Many Former Much VJs are making it big lately.  Rachel Perry works for Vh-1, Amanda Walsh landed a supporting role on the ABC comedy show "Sons and Daughters" and Rick "The Temp" Campanelli is a reporter for "Entertainment Tonight: Canada" 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/06 at 4:54 am

My main source of news is from Sky News, but I build up a confirmed opinion by watching the BBC News.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/02/06 at 6:46 pm

If I am flipping channels I have been known to land on MSNBC to see breaking news, but for the most part only local news.

Check for new replies or respond here...