» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "An Inconvenient Truth" (Movie)

Written By: STAR70 on 06/18/06 at 3:26 pm

Mind-shatteringly spooky

http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Subject: Re: "An Inconvenient Truth" (Movie)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 6:12 pm

I'm definitely going to see the movie as soon as I can. It has gotten praise from all who are not shills for the petroleum industry. The chief criticism from those who do not deny human-influenced global warming is that Al Gore sensationalizes things a bit and illustrates the movie with meteorological catastrophes that are not necessarily a product of global warming.
In other words, we cannot say there would not have been a Hurricane Katrina if there was no global warming, but we can look at generalized trends over the last 100 years. Furthermore, we can distinguish the global warming period we are in now from the global warming periods the skeptics love to point to, such as the medieval warm-up.
However, if you make a dry scientific documentary, no one will go see it. You need some sensationalism to entice movie-going audiences.

Written By: Tia on 06/18/06 at 7:05 pm

i think the point, and gore actually makes it in the movie, is that weather is so variant that any one storm or other event like katrina can't be attributed to global warming, but statistical rise of storms in the aggregate can be. it's a really good movie, and he's quite engaging in it -- unlike during his campaigns -- but i'd be curious as to whether it influenced anyone who's on the fence.

or is anyone even ON the fence? in today's political environment it seems to me just about everyone has already picked a side.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/19/06 at 4:43 am

Its so moronic to me theres even political sides to pick.  It seems like some issues, like ones as important as this would be non-political.

The funny thing is, theres no credible dispute over this in the scientific community.  But its just like with creationism, it just takes some paid junk science and a little bit of disinformation and alot of impressionable average joes swallow the line that its all just wacky, liberal alarmism. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/06 at 9:27 pm

I just saw "An Inconvenient Truth." I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Written By: STAR70 on 06/21/06 at 5:29 pm

my fave part was when Gore had to jump on the hydraulic cherry picker!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/06 at 6:17 pm

my fave part was when Gore had to jump on the hydraulic cherry picker!

Funny...in spite of how scary that graph was!
:o

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/26/06 at 6:37 pm

We need a movie like this.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/04/06 at 1:33 pm

I haven't seen the film but I read the book - not the personal to Gore stuff, but the science.  It is very scary.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/09/06 at 2:37 pm

this movie includes clips of futurama episode "crimes of the hot" wherein algore does voice acting

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/06 at 4:56 pm

this movie includes clips of futurama episode "crimes of the hot" wherein algore does voice acting

"algore," you know who calls him "algore," don't you?  Please don't tell me your mind has been corrupted by that...that...that, um, that impotent,  lying, hypocritical dope-fiend swill-monger!
Had to pause there to think of his nicer qualities!
:P

Written By: annonymouse on 07/18/06 at 9:11 pm

"algore," you know who calls him "algore," don't you?  Please don't tell me your mind has been corrupted by that...that...that, um, that impotent,  lying, hypocritical dope-fiend swill-monger!
Had to pause there to think of his nicer qualities!
:P

sorry i don't know of any other names for him. gore i suppose. blood and gore. not the best of names either.

Check for new replies or respond here...