» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How long do you want to live?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/10/06 at 3:46 pm

I want to live 90 years, so I can live in the '80s (the 2080s, that is).

Subject: Re: How long do you want to live?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/10/06 at 4:06 pm

the oldest California died last week at 112, not sure who the oldest is now. That meant they travelled by horse and covered wagon and horse buggies when they were little.
I think 90 is plenty, but even at 50 I've lived well and and thats a good chunk of time. another 40-44 would be cool as long as I'm still mobile, having fun and still logging into tis website inthe40s.com

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/06 at 4:08 pm

If I could, it would be forever.

Written By: gmann on 03/10/06 at 4:11 pm

I'd love to see triple figures with 100, but I dunno if that's in the cards. My family's health could be a negative factor. In any case, I'd like to be a real old fart, but only if I can take care of myself and get around reasonably well.    :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/10/06 at 4:39 pm

103 will suffice, thank you. Don't know why really. :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 5:14 pm

Between 80 and 90 would be nice...I don't think getting up into the triple figures would happen for me, though my family does have a history of longetivity, somewhat (on my father's side and maternal grandmother's side, anyway...my paternal grandfather had heart disease, prostate cancer, and more!) Various, widely varying colon and digestive illnesses run in my family. I don't want to live into the late 21st century.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/06 at 10:12 pm

I would be happy if I lived to be around 90.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/10/06 at 10:15 pm

I'd like to live as long as I can as long as I'm still mobile and not miserable.

Written By: La Roche on 03/10/06 at 10:29 pm

I'd like to live as long as I can as long as I'm still mobile and not miserable.

Pretty much the same as me.

My general thoughts on the matter are that as long as I'm coherent, mobile and in control of my functions, then I'll keep going.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 11:38 pm

I want to be like my grandmother, who's almost 78. She is a widow who still keeps up her house, and she travels every summer. This summer she's going to Ireland and the summer after that to Germany. She gets up at 4:30 every morning and exercises, makes a big breakfast, reads the whole paper and watches political programs, and listens to opera. She's always going into the city on the train to go to the opera and the symphony and plays, and going to the library, etc. She's just learning how to use a computer now. She's a bit nervous, of course, more than I'd like to be...like about driving at night (she's from the Bronx, still has an accent, and it took her 20 years to get used to living in the 'burbs outside Newark.) I love spending time with her, because she's so serious, but I can always get her to laugh and break down and show her really youthful side, which my mother never saw.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/06 at 1:46 am

Is that miserable to other people or to yourself?

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/06 at 1:59 am

I saw this topic peeking out on the main page, and thought "That's gotta be another Donnie Darko thread" ;D

I want ti live until I am a shriveled up 100 year old man ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/11/06 at 4:07 am

I think quality of life is more important to me than length. I dunno, but I'd get restless living the same sort of life for decades (like those people who are born in a small town, live there their entire lives doing the same thing like clockwork, and then dying, after which, I have to say, nobody cares about them). I'd want to live in as many different ways as possible (perhaps, in my older years, a decade or at least a year of complete solitude - like a hermit for 'spiritual contemplation'). But I wouldn't mind living well into my 100s, and, if technology permits, even 200. I think it is possible for humans to leave to even 150 years given current trends in a 'natural manner' (i.e. no major artificial enhancements, save perhaps a motorised heart.etc). Basically, I think (as the responses suggest) most people tire of life once then reach their 80s and 90s.

But I'm hoping I'll at least live in three centuries...that means to at least 2100...

Written By: Paul on 03/11/06 at 7:47 am

Until I've got the mortgage paid off...!!

I think if I can get to somewhere in my 80s on my own dependency, then that'll do nicely...

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/11/06 at 2:26 pm

I think quality of life is more important to me than length. I dunno, but I'd get restless living the same sort of life for decades (like those people who are born in a small town, live there their entire lives doing the same thing like clockwork, and then dying, after which, I have to say, nobody cares about them). I'd want to live in as many different ways as possible (perhaps, in my older years, a decade or at least a year of complete solitude - like a hermit for 'spiritual contemplation'). But I wouldn't mind living well into my 100s, and, if technology permits, even 200. I think it is possible for humans to leave to even 150 years given current trends in a 'natural manner' (i.e. no major artificial enhancements, save perhaps a motorised heart.etc). Basically, I think (as the responses suggest) most people tire of life once then reach their 80s and 90s.

But I'm hoping I'll at least live in three centuries...that means to at least 2100...

I don't think life expectancy will ever go above 90, it's too expensive to maintain life beyond that, on average...that, and people don't realize the amount of work that goes into pharmaceutical developments.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/12/06 at 11:01 am

I don't think life expectancy will ever go above 90, it's too expensive to maintain life beyond that, on average...that, and people don't realize the amount of work that goes into pharmaceutical developments.

I think we'll all be surprised with technology. They've already done experiments on mice, where merely by them eating a special 'vegetarian' diet, they lived considerably longer (up to twice as long) - I forget the details, but yeah, I think it is conceivably possible to live long into the future. I, for one, won't be shying away from that possibility if the opportunity so arises.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/13/06 at 1:31 am

I wouldn't mind living to 100ish, but probably no more after that.

Written By: witchain on 03/13/06 at 2:47 pm

I don't want to get real old. (I know- I say that now.)
My grandmothers are both in their eighties and they don't really seem to be enjoying themselves...

Written By: KKay on 03/13/06 at 2:53 pm

long enough to see the longest thread win longest thread...

no, but I'ld like to be active and 70.
I know few active 80 year olds.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/16/06 at 4:44 am

Don't think I really want to live past 90. Even 80 is pushing it. Anywhere around the 80 mark and I'd die happy. (That would be around 2065)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 7:56 am

Theretically, if you could stay the age you are now (or say, 25), would you want to live forever? Sure you'd get bored of it, but surely life is better than death?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/06 at 8:48 am

Until I'm 70.

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 9:50 am

Some days I wish I was pushing up daisies - the rest of the time - I think about 80.  My mother is 83 and still enjoying life. :)

Written By: jaytee on 03/16/06 at 9:58 am

Longer than hubby so I can get his life insurance ;D

:o :D

The Merry Widow!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 11:24 pm

I think this is one place where the Bible got it right! Three score and ten, then hang it up!  Then again, maybe my POV will change when I get a bit closer to three score and ten!
:o

On the other hand, my Gramps died in January at the age of 100. The sight of him in his final years did not inspire the wish to become a cenennarian!

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/18/06 at 2:02 am

It just depends on the person.

I kinda get the feeling by the time I get "old" as they say it won't be quite the same experience as what we think of.

Written By: annonymouse on 03/26/06 at 11:59 am

64 years for me, after that im driving my boat off a dam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/06 at 1:00 pm

I wish to claim as much pension allowance as I can.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/26/06 at 1:23 pm

ALL MY LIFE

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/26/06 at 5:33 pm

I said forever.  ;D

I believe that as long as someone remembers you, you have not died. So, in that way, I want to be remembered forever. Physically, as long as I have my mind and my body.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 03/26/06 at 6:10 pm

I'd have thought people would have realized by now: it's not how long it is, it's what you do with it that counts

...life, I mean.  What else?

As for me, I want to live until I die.  And not a minute longer.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 2:28 am

I said forever.  ;D

I believe that as long as someone remembers you, you have not died. So, in that way, I want to be remembered forever. Physically, as long as I have my mind and my body.

Cat

But if you don't exist, how can you care that people remember?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/06 at 2:30 pm

But if you don't exist, how can you care that people remember?

I'll be watching from "beyond".  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 03/27/06 at 2:53 pm

As long as I am healthy and able to care for myself I wouldn't mind seeing the century mark

Check for new replies or respond here...