inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tom Petty Gone at 66

Written By: #Infinity on 10/02/17 at 3:16 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/

:\'(

Subject: Re: Tom Petty Gone at 66

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 10/02/17 at 3:24 pm

He always seemed like such a mellow person. A person even recently told me that I look like Tom Petty (I had similar hair a few months ago). I heard a lot of his songs while I was growing up.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/02/17 at 3:31 pm

RIP to Tom Petty :\'(.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/17 at 3:41 pm

I am sadden by this news, I enjoyed his songs, and the time he spent with the The Traveling Wilburys.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/17 at 3:44 pm

I think he was underrated. He was part of the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4s1KVJaVA

He had so many great songs but this one HAS to be my fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnOfpIJL0M

He will be missed

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/17 at 3:46 pm

I think he was underrated. He was part of the supergroup The Traveling Wilburys.

He will be missed

Cat
O0

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/02/17 at 3:48 pm

He was in full cardiac arrest when they took him to the hospital.  They disconnected the life support today.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/02/17 at 3:53 pm

:o :o :o

No words. RIP.  :\'(

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/02/17 at 4:12 pm

I always liked this song by him:

1lWJXDG2i0A

RIP Tom Petty

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 10/02/17 at 4:18 pm

He will be missed

Cat

Yeah, Refugee is one of my favorites, along with American Girl, though American Girl always makes me think of The Silence of the Lambs.

He even had great hits in the 90s with Mary Jane's Last Dance and You Don't Know How It Feels.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/02/17 at 4:35 pm

http://www.680news.com/2017/10/02/tom-petty-pulled-off-life-support-conflicting-reports-about-death/

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 10/02/17 at 4:41 pm

I just saw a headline on yahoo news that says TMZ is disputing the report that Tom Petty died.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/17 at 5:20 pm

I just saw a headline on yahoo news that says TMZ is disputing the report that Tom Petty died.

Yep. Just a few minutes ago the LAPD stated that they cannot conform that Mr. Petty is dead.

Written By: nally on 10/02/17 at 5:38 pm

Yep. Just a few minutes ago the LAPD stated that they cannot conform that Mr. Petty is dead.

Rita Wilde, the dj on 100.3 The Sound (Los Angeles radio station specializing in classic rock), said something similar too. She indicated that the news reports from various sources did not confirm that he officially passed away yet; he was only on life support. Meanwhile, said radio station has been playing his music all afternoon, paying tribute to him.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/17 at 5:40 pm

Rita Wilde, the dj on 100.3 The Sound (Los Angeles radio station specializing in classic rock), said something similar too. She indicated that the news reports from various sources did not confirm that he officially passed away yet; he was only on life support. Meanwhile, said radio station has been playing his music all afternoon, paying tribute to him.

From what I read at TMZ, they indeed pulled the plug but as of 3:34pm Pacific time, Mr. Petty is still alive.

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/03/17 at 1:37 am

I can't believe this. How many hearts are truly broken tonight?
Plus that's three of the Traveling Wilburys gone now. I just wish I knew more about what happened.
RIP Tom, say Hi to Roy and George for us.

Your Pal,
Doc

Subject: Tom Petty Gone at 66

Written By: Dude111 on 10/03/17 at 2:19 am

Yes very sad indeed :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/17 at 5:28 am

Plus that's three of the Traveling Wilburys gone now.

Your Pal,
Doc

I wonder if the Wilburys will regroup with some new members? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/03/17 at 5:55 am

So sad about this - Tom Petty has always been amazing    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Tom Petty - thanks for all the great music

Written By: Howard on 10/03/17 at 7:26 am

Nope, don't think they will.  :(

Written By: Howard on 10/03/17 at 7:27 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/

I liked Tom Petty and his music, R. I. P. Tom Petty.  :\'(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/17 at 11:47 am

All of the good ones seem to be dropping like flies.

9TlBTPITo1I

Written By: nally on 10/03/17 at 12:25 pm

Nope, don't think they will.  :(

Yeah, not if three out of the original four are deceased.

R.I.P Tom Petty, you gave us lots of great music. :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/17 at 12:43 pm

Another one of favorites of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jck--Pm3h0

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/17 at 1:10 pm

I remember when the first album came out in 1976. It wasn't much of a hit at the time. There was a great deal of confusion because he was sort of being marketed as a punk, he had a leather jacket on the cover of the album and looked "punkish" in a way, and punk wasn't doing well around here, commercially. Nobody knew what to make of him. THEN, the thing that started getting big airplay for him on FM stations was a LIVE version of "Breakdown", not available on the album, only available to radio stations and not in stores. It was a version with a long rap in the middle. "Rap" in the old sense of the word, which was hippiespeak for "talking".  He told this long story in the middle of the song while the band vamped, it was getting played all over, it was very intriguing, but nobody could buy it. I taped it off the radio with an old cassette player pushed against the speaker.  That was Tom Petty's roundabout way into rock stardom.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/03/17 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, not if three out of the original four are deceased.

There were five. George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne. Three are now deceased.

Written By: nally on 10/03/17 at 1:46 pm

There were five. George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne. Three are now deceased.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Bob Dylan was a member too. So he and Jeff Lynne are the two members still alive.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/17 at 1:52 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot that Bob Dylan was a member too. So he and Jeff Lynne are the two members still alive.

Yeah.  I don't think they would go on without Roy, George, and Tom. 

Tom was just 66.  Too young to go into a complete cardiac arrest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/17 at 2:25 pm

Exactly the conversation I had with my friends today.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/17 at 2:36 pm

Jeff and Bob are the only ones alive.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/03/17 at 2:59 pm

Yeah.  I don't think they would go on without Roy, George, and Tom. 

Most of my college buddies died from cardiac arrest before they were 58.  :-\\

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/03/17 at 3:19 pm

Jeff and Bob are the only ones alive.

Yes.  Jeff Lynn is 70 I'm told and Bob Dylan is 76.

Written By: nally on 10/04/17 at 12:13 am

Yes.  Jeff Lynn is 70 I'm told and Bob Dylan is 76.

Yeah, that's about right.

Agreed. :\'( And the 20th of this month would have been his 67th b'day. :\'( :\'(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/07/17 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, that's about right.

Agreed. :\'( And the 20th of this month would have been his 67th b'day. :\'( :\'(

You can't change things but we can remember Tom as fans.  He made the choice to not take care of himself and this is the result of him not taking care of himself.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/17 at 5:57 pm

You can't change things but we can remember Tom as fans.  He made the choice to not take care of himself and this is the result of him not taking care of himself.

Not necessarily. There are all sorts of ways that one can die from cardiac arrest. Two of my cousins (both sisters) died from cardiac arrest on the same day last year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/08/17 at 3:12 pm

Not necessarily. There are all sorts of ways that one can die from cardiac arrest. Two of my cousins (both sisters) died from cardiac arrest on the same day last year.

He was addicted to heroin.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6753771/tom-petty-biography-struggles-heroin-abuse-heartbreak

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/08/17 at 3:25 pm

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6753771/tom-petty-biography-struggles-heroin-abuse-heartbreak

Cat

True, but he kicked the habit.

I have a former co-worker... he is 79 now, and as long as I have known him (which is roughly 35 years) he has constantly abused his body with all sorts of substances. Every night (and I do not kid you, EVERY night) he would literally drink himself into a stupor. Even now, when somebody says that "got sh*tfaced last night" I see an image of Jerry, who did that every single night.  And yet miraculously he could always make the 7:30am morning meeting, ready to go.

Normally you'd think that his substance abuse would have done him in long ago... I know I thought that. But his body has taken all that abuse and apparently it asks for more. Many of us have said that when he eventually does die, his family needs to donate his body to science so they can figure out how he survived all those years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/08/17 at 6:02 pm

True, but he kicked the habit.

I have a former co-worker... he is 79 now, and as long as I have known him (which is roughly 35 years) he has constantly abused his body with all sorts of substances. Every night (and I do not kid you, EVERY night) he would literally drink himself into a stupor. Even now, when somebody says that "got sh*tfaced last night" I see an image of Jerry, who did that every single night.  And yet miraculously he could always make the 7:30am morning meeting, ready to go.

Normally you'd think that his substance abuse would have done him in long ago... I know I thought that. But his body has taken all that abuse and apparently it asks for more. Many of us have said that when he eventually does die, his family needs to donate his body to science so they can figure out how he survived all those years.

I don't get how some people can abuse their bodies and live to tell the tale-others can't. I think it depends on how "hardy" their bodies were in the first place.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/08/17 at 7:31 pm

I don't get how some people can abuse their bodies and live to tell the tale-others can't. I think it depends on how "hardy" their bodies were in the first place.

Cat

My dad constantly was abusing his body until the final years of his life when he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.  He was smoking and drinking.  And I admit I didn't like that he was doing that to himself.

Written By: nally on 10/08/17 at 9:13 pm

Cat

Interesting; I actually did not know of this. :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/08/17 at 10:24 pm

RIP, Tom. :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/10/17 at 11:29 am

Just saw on TMZ that Perry's death certificate was issued in California. The COD was designated as "deferred".

Which I think means they are looking to see if anything in particular triggered the cardiac arrest.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/10/17 at 11:49 am

Just saw on TMZ that Perry's death certificate was issued in California. The COD was designated as "deferred".

Which I think means they are looking to see if anything in particular triggered the cardiac arrest.

It could be that they're waiting for toxicology tests to come back.  A deferred death means that they're just waiting for certain tests to come back?

https://tng.community/index.php?/forums/topic/4479-death-certificate-cause-of-death-deferred-4201/

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/19/18 at 6:16 pm

The tox tests came back and Mr. Petty's cause of death has been chalked up to drug overdose. He had fentanyl, oxy, and Xanax in his system.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/19/18 at 7:58 pm

The tox tests came back and Mr. Petty's cause of death has been chalked up to a drug overdose. He had fentanyl, oxy, and Xanax in his system.

Painkiller/anti-depressant overdose.  I can understand what painkillers will do but why would he overdose on an anti-depressant?

Check for new replies or respond here...