inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Larry H Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz, dies

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/09 at 7:55 pm

Larry H Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz died from type 2 Diabetes.  He has been sick for a year, but it is still a shock.  I may not have agreed with his view on things, but he was a good man and will be missed by this community.  Rest In Peace, Larry.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=23&sid=5650755

Larry H. Miller passes away
February 20th, 2009 @ 6:30pm

(AP and KSL News) Utah Jazz owner Larry H. Miller has died from complications of type 2 diabetes at age 64.

Miller was at home with his family when he passed away, team officials said in a statement Friday.

Miller had his legs amputated 6 inches below the knee in January and suffered a heart attack last summer. He was hospitalized for nearly 2 months.

Longtime Jazz sportscaster Hot Rod Hundley says he'd hoped beyond hope that Larry Miller would pull through. "Everyone in some way owes a little loyalty to Larry Miller over the years for what he was able to achieve on his own," he said.

We expect to hear from the Miller family and the Utah Jazz in a news conference at 8 p.m. You can hear it live on KSL Newsradio 102.7FM/1160 AM and see it on KSL.com.

Following is the news release sent by the Utah Jazz Friday afternoon:

News release

"Larry H. Miller, husband, father, grandfather, a well-known entrepreneur, community advocate and humanitarian, died from complications due to type 2 diabetes today, at home, surrounded by his family. He was 64.

Miller, a man who truly loved Utah, its people and its land, was born in Salt Lake City in 1944. From modest beginnings, he grew up in the Capitol Hill area and went on to become one of Utah's most successful entrepreneurs and business leaders.

Leaving behind a profound professional and personal legacy, the entities Miller created have had a significant and lasting impact on the communities in which he did business, and the more than 7,000 individuals he employed.

The Larry H. Miller Group of Companies began with the Larry H. Miller Toyota store in Murray, Utah on May 1, 1979. Through the years, Miller amassed more than 80 businesses and properties in the western United States. Most notable are the Utah Jazz, EnergySolutions Arena, the Salt Lake Bees, Miller Motorsports Park, Megaplex Theatres, and 39 automobile dealerships spanning the Rocky Mountain West. Miller also developed a vast real estate holdings including commercial and agricultural properties.

A dynamic entrepreneur and business leader, Miller also became known for his charitable efforts. Miller coined the phrase "Go about doing good until there is too much good in the world."

Miller and his wife Gail provide close to 300 college scholarships each year. Larry H. Miller Charities, a foundation funded by monthly contributions from his businesses, fundraising events in the community, and personal donations from employees, has donated millions of dollars to communities in which Miller does business.

"Larry and Gail have always stressed the importance of giving back to the communities in which we do business. Our customers have supported us and it is important that we show our appreciation by helping those in need," said Greg Miller, eldest son and CEO of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies. "Larry felt that his legacy isn't in business as much as it was in creating opportunities for good jobs and higher education."

Larry and Gail have also donated millions of dollars to Utah-based colleges and universities for campus improvements such as the state-of-the-art softball and baseball complexes at BYU. The Larry H. Miller Campus of the Salt Lake Community College (SLCC), was completed in fall 2001 and includes the Larry H. Miller Entrepreneurship Training Center and The Larry and Gail Miller Public Safety Education & Training Center.

Despite all of his success, Miller always maintained that his greatest accomplishment is the family that survives him: his wife, Karen Gail Saxton Miller, their four sons and one daughter, 21 grandchildren, and one great grandchild."

(The Associated Press contributed to this story. Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Subject: Re: Larry H Miller dies

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/09 at 8:04 pm

Larry H Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz died from type 2 Diabetes.  He has been sick for a year, but it is still a shock.  I may not have agreed with his view on things, but he was a good man and will be missed by this community.  Rest In Peace, Larry.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=23&sid=5650755

okay I have to admit, when I first read this I thought you meant this guy

http://www.talentbookingusa.com/comedy/images/larry-miller-sm.jpg

My condolences to Utah Jazz fans

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/09 at 10:39 pm

okay I have to admit, when I first read this I thought you meant this guy

http://www.talentbookingusa.com/comedy/images/larry-miller-sm.jpg

So did I, and co-incidentally, that actor is known for a Seinfeld episode where Basketball is mentioned

R.I.P. to Larry H. Miller

Written By: nally on 02/21/09 at 5:18 pm

I'm not too familiar with this guy...when I first saw the title, I instantly thought of an actor named Larry Miller (who played the evil school principal Mr. Jindrake in the movie Max Keeble's Big Move), but it turns out this is a completely different person.

Still, it seems like this Larry went through a lot, and he will certainly be missed.

Subject: Re: Larry H Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz, dies

Written By: Dagwood on 02/23/09 at 12:03 am

Ok, I fixed the thread title so no one else is confused

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/09 at 12:21 pm

Thanks.... my heart still goes out to all the Jazz fans

Written By: nally on 02/23/09 at 11:25 pm

thank you :)

Thanks.... my heart still goes out to all the Jazz fans

so does mine

Check for new replies or respond here...